The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Be gentle, first time tanking

Dexter411
Dexter411
✭✭✭
I have never used shield in ESO and now time has come.

Race: Reguard (stamina recovery passive, max stamina and restoring stamina with melee attacks) this is perfect after stamina regen nerfs/changes while blocking
Class: Dragonknight (easiest class for learning how to tank)

First bar: sword and shield (of course)
1. Extended Chains (reduce cost, pulling mobs into Standard)
2. Unstable Flames (DoT, may switch to burning embers if problems with stamina occur)
3. Ransack (taunt, they lose armor and you gain, this is must, even for soloing)
4. Absorb Magic ("While slotted, the amount of damage you can block is increased by 8% and the cost of blocking is reduced by 8%")
5. Igneous Shield (bubble, tanks love bubbles, plus activation restores 5% stamina)
U. Standard of Might (no explenation needed)

Second bar: Two-handed (Rally, battle rush, brawler.)
1. Rally (heal, bonus damage)
2. Wrecking blow
3. Executioner
4. Draw Essence (restores magicka and health)
5. Green Dragon Blood (another must ability)
U. Corrosive Armor (while active you ignore 100% armor, add wrecking blow or executioner to it)

5 heavy 2 medium armor(after unlocking Undaunted Mettle 5 heavy 1 medium 1 light)

I have couple of questions, like stated before I never used shield and thus I never tanked in ESO.
Heal from Absorb Magic is passive or it happens when i block spell? It works only for one spell? If so then Dragon Fire Scale will be better replacement
How is Corrosive Armor? In theory 3% of max hp is not much but ignoring 100% armor is tempting.
Maybe i dont need Ransack? Propably will switch with Hardened Armor.

This is for solo PvE. If i wll do dungeon i will change 2h with another sword and shield(different buffs, stam taunt on one and magicka taunt on other etc.)
Plan is to be tanky( of course) and throw Wrecking blow sometimes. After reaching Veteran Ranks with third dps i got bored of pressing 2 buttons over and over in fights. Combat mechanics are far more complex then that and i want to experience that.
Any suggestion for improving my build are welcome as always!
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bar 1 is your tank bar and lacks sustain.

You will probably die trying to switch to bar 2 for GDB.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    usmcjdking wrote: »
    Bar 1 is your tank bar and lacks sustain.

You will probably die trying to switch to bar 2 for GDB.

Agreed, switching bars to heal when you are in your tanky phase is a bad idea. flip out the Unstable flames to Dragon Blood. And if you an make sure to use the Igneous shield before you use the dragon blood for extra effectiveness.
    Dexter411 wrote: »
    I have never used shield in ESO and now time has come.

Race: Reguard (stamina recovery passive, max stamina and restoring stamina with melee attacks) this is perfect after stamina regen nerfs/changes while blocking
    Class: Dragonknight (easiest class for learning how to tank)

First bar: sword and shield (of course)
    1. Extended Chains (reduce cost, pulling mobs into Standard)
    2. Unstable Flames (DoT, may switch to burning embers if problems with stamina occur)
    3. Ransack (taunt, they lose armor and you gain, this is must, even for soloing)
    4. Absorb Magic ("While slotted, the amount of damage you can block is increased by 8% and the cost of blocking is reduced by 8%")
    5. Igneous Shield (bubble, tanks love bubbles, plus activation restores 5% stamina)
    U. Standard of Might (no explenation needed)

Second bar: Two-handed (Rally, battle rush, brawler.)
    1. Rally (heal, bonus damage)
    2. Wrecking blow
    3. Executioner
    4. Draw Essence (restores magicka and health)
    5. Green Dragon Blood (another must ability)
    U. Corrosive Armor (while active you ignore 100% armor, add wrecking blow or executioner to it)

5 heavy 2 medium armor(after unlocking Undaunted Mettle 5 heavy 1 medium 1 light)

I have couple of questions, like stated before I never used shield and thus I never tanked in ESO.
    Heal from Absorb Magic is passive or it happens when i block spell? It works only for one spell? If so then Dragon Fire Scale will be better replacement
    How is Corrosive Armor? In theory 3% of max hp is not much but ignoring 100% armor is tempting.
    Maybe i dont need Ransack? Propably will switch with Hardened Armor.

This is for solo PvE. If i wll do dungeon i will change 2h with another sword and shield(different buffs, stam taunt on one and magicka taunt on other etc.)
    Plan is to be tanky( of course) and throw Wrecking blow sometimes. After reaching Veteran Ranks with third dps i got bored of pressing 2 buttons over and over in fights. Combat mechanics are far more complex then that and i want to experience that.
    Any suggestion for improving my build are welcome as always!

You seem to be specced heavily into stamina so I would stick with the Absorb Magic and not use Dragon Fire Scales. It costs so much magicka you will probably only be able to use it about 2 times before you are out of magicka if you don't spec into it. The Absorb Magic heals you when you are hit by one SPELL projectile, and only works for one projectile per activation, if you don't need the heal then the Defensive Stance morph will probably be better where the active effect instead bounces the projectile back and not only damaging the caster but stuns them as well.

On your second bar I would not use Draw Essence, if you already use Rally and GDB then there is no need to have that, and you want to focus on stamina anyway right? I would suggest either Burning Breath or Brawler. I think I would go with Brawler cause not only does it give you a damage shield when you hit targets but since you already have Executioner slotted it will just like Wrecking blow do 15% more damage to low health targets, so great to use when you got a lot of targets around you.

And lastly if you can I would switch out Extended Chain, sure nice to drag them into the standard but what is better is that if you work on positioning yourself during combat, for example running all the Melee's over to the casters you can open up another slot for say Deep slash or choking talons, something that can help you with sustain and CC with their Minor maims, snare/immobilize.

I'm no expert at solo build but that is my two cents.
  • Dexter411
    Dexter411
    ✭✭✭
    Extended Chain- remember i gave example for solo, that being said i will switch it for talons for group content
    Brawler- i will use it only and only for grinding, until it gets nerfed

http://eso-skills.com/skill/?z=IDRdHoCi@D88rF_9%oOw_wZ@D88rgv1
    If Dragon Fire Scale will fail, may change to Hardened Armor
    Sam goes for Corrosive Armor, change with Take Flight
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dexter411 wrote: »
    Extended Chain- remember i gave example for solo, that being said i will switch it for talons for group content
    Brawler- i will use it only and only for grinding, until it gets nerfed

http://eso-skills.com/skill/?z=IDRdHoCi@D88rF_9%oOw_wZ@D88rgv1
    If Dragon Fire Scale will fail, may change to Hardened Armor
    Sam goes for Corrosive Armor, change with Take Flight

My point still stand for Extended chain in solo, I said that specifically for solo. And why would you only use Brawler in grinding? You have no AoE's, you going to single target everything?
  • Dexter411
    Dexter411
    ✭✭✭
    Brawler is too overpowered.
    You are right, if they can not move(talons) i do not need to pull them in and AoE would be nice.
    Thanks!
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You don't need a shield to tank with. I tank perfectly fine with a 2H.