Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

v16 crafting

ArcVelarian
ArcVelarian
✭✭✭✭✭
140-ish mats for a piece of armor is ridiculous. Either reduce the amount needed or make them harvestable in Orsinium.
Murphy's Law of PvP : If it can be abused and or exploited, it will be abused and or exploited.
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check.
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • McSwaggins
    McSwaggins
    ✭✭✭
    they are harvestable in orsinium
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish they had a different mechanic to make top level gear. Just seems so wasteful.
  • BorrawinTheWarrior
    I'm just curious because I don't know. What crafted gear needs 140ish mats to make? And what are the mats?
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just curious because I don't know. What crafted gear needs 140ish mats to make? And what are the mats?

V16 armour requires a lot of material.

140 mats for legs and 150 for chest... other armour bits require 130 each if I remember right.
    PC-EU
  • Drax76
    Drax76
    ✭✭✭
    Khenarthi wrote: »

V16 armour requires a lot of material.

140 mats for legs and 150 for chest... other armour bits require 130 each if I remember right.

Exactly 10 times more material than V15, and at present the only method to attain materials is deconstructing dropped loot from the Imperial City in order to get Ancestor Silk, Rubidite Ingots, Rubideo Leather, & Sanded Ruby Ash. At least until Orcinium goes live, and then only if you buy that DLC, if the present Play Test Server Patch notes are any indication.
    PS4 - NA - AD
    v16 Khajiit NB Tank
    40 Breton Templar Healer/Tank
  • rabb1t_ESO
    rabb1t_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Depending on the craft in question it ranges between 110 and 150 for v16. But yes, I always found it... insane... that v16 was 10x the mat cost of v15. ALL OTHER RANKS are +1 of said mat. Yes, I get that they are the top tier. I get that they should be tougher. But 10x the cost? When the stats are not 10x greater? They aren't much more than about 15% better off the top of my head. So maybe something like +25% cost would seem more reasonable. AND in addition to that, taking apart a v16 item only grants ONE item (unless you crafted it.) Again, from what I recall, taking apart other items in other ranks can give more than 1 of said component bit.

It seems like an overly harsh penalty to crafters for v16 items. Especially those of us who are 'new' who came in at unlimited who don't have millions in the bank in gold to throw away to crank out a v16 item. I spend probably 15 hours a week in either v15/16 dungeons or going through the IC sewers, and ever since launch I've only gotten enough mats for basically 3 v16 items. Maybe I'm not doing it right. Maybe I'm not going as fast as I can. (I'm often solo.) But the numbers just don't seem right. At my quick mathing it would take me 1-2 months to complete even a single set of v16 crafted gear at my current rate. Not even counting the fact that I'm also running a tanking set as the main set, DPS set, a Magica set for healing, and desired alternate pieces (like cloth and plate healing set depending on where I'm healing, maybe alt plate for PvP instead of just tanking, etc.)

v16 is the only rank I've gotten where I did have a new gear rank available at level. Two months in, each of said above sets basically has one v16 piece. If the rumors of it being 'farmable' in Ors are true maybe that will change things. But the current rate compared to previous rank mats (and previous scale of vX -> vX+1) is way way way imbalanced.

(Not to mention I've only seen one tri-stat bit for Enchanting EVER (and never seen the Daedra hunter bit at all). In probably 150+ hours of being in IC.)
  • rabb1t_ESO
    rabb1t_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Drax76 wrote: »
    and at present the only method to attain materials is deconstructing dropped loot from the Imperial City in order to get Ancestor Silk, Rubidite Ingots, Rubideo Leather, & Sanded Ruby Ash.

Not true. If you run a group and scale a dungeon to v15 or v16 you also get those drops. So you can do PvE 'farming' if you repeatedly run scaled dungeons. (Though v16 has a MUCH higher drop rate than scaled to v15.)

However, it isn't really a whole lot faster in terms of drop than running through IC sewers.

(But that is nowhere near the accumulation rate of say going through Crag and farming for v9-14 mats.)
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Drax76 wrote: »
    Exactly 10 times more material than V15, and at present the only method to attain materials is deconstructing dropped loot from the Imperial City in order to get Ancestor Silk, Rubidite Ingots, Rubideo Leather, & Sanded Ruby Ash. At least until Orcinium goes live, and then only if you buy that DLC, if the present Play Test Server Patch notes are any indication.

You can also get them from hirelings, albeit in very small quantities. At this rate, I'll have enough Rubedite for pair of bracers in about a year and a half.
  • pronkg
    pronkg
    ✭✭✭✭

Best decision ever made, first craftable gear that actually takes a little effort and is also very rewarding
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well v16 is max level so the gear should be hard to obtain, time chase is good and needed in mmo rpgs . Players need to get the idea that their strength keeps increasing and that they have something to work towards. The power difference is relative small so casual players can just make purple v15 gear and still have decent gear. Min-maxers can grind 10x the mats for the v16 gear.

In comparison, its still easier to get a full 5pc v16 set than a specific monster set shoulder piece in the correct weight and with the right trait.

PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • jakeedmundson
    jakeedmundson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pronkg wrote: »
    Best decision ever made, first craftable gear that actually takes a little effort and is also very rewarding

How does regular crafting take no effort? you need to spend skill points to make your level, farm the materials (crafting and enchanting), find/buy the upgrade mats to make it gold/purple, and WAIT to research all the traits... you wait for months, literally.
    and yeah its rewarding ... as long as you make the best set possible. pretty expensive to make a new build now....
    and if the materials weren't enough to make you hate crafting now... try enchanting that gear when you're done.
    Even if you BUY them from the guild stores... you better have a million gold to throw away...

no casual player will be able to craft this gear. (at least not before they raise the vet level or remove them... whichever)
    I play a couple ours every night doing dungeons and i still cannot make a single piece. This is the dumbest idea they ever had.
    Just make your gear in v15... and make it gold - you will be able to get through most content still.... v16 crafting isn't even remotely worth the time. you would need almost 4 stacks of the material to craft 5 pieces of gear... and then you have to find/buy from vendors with tv stones the enchanting materials. Crafted gear should be the stuff your character can make to help them get through dungeons to find the rare gear... i'm guessing in the new dlc people will be finding the rare stuff before they can make a set.

To me, this is the laziest idea for "extending" end game content... are you kidding me? "hey... i got an idea guys... lets make each piece cost 10 times what it does for v15... but wait, there's more... make the materials rare to find and exclusive to our new crappy IC dlc that forces everyone to cross into pvp or pve (which ever one they hate doing). That should keep the players busy... and they'll have fun doing it too!"... yeah ok... thanks. I didn't buy the dlc because i had eso plus... IC made me drop my plus membership. plain and simple
    Edited by jakeedmundson on October 30, 2015 1:06PM
    CP690
    Lv 50 Dunmer DragonKnight Tank/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Sorcerer Dps
    Lv 50 Breton Templar Healer/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Nightblade Dps
    Lv 50 Redguard Sorcerer Dps
    PS4 - DC
    vSOHM - vAAHM - vHRC - vMA Flawless

My version of a Heavy Attack Sorc build
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/294724/magicka-sorc-heavy-attack-build-homestead-ready/p1?new=1
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the main problem I have with crafting vet 16 gear is that it is so much easier to just get dropped sets than crafting a set.

I get that they want to make the top tier rarer. But this is overboard.