Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should I quit?

Fenlius
Fenlius
I was a level 23 dk and I wandered into a place called the Forgotten Crypts. I died like 10 times to the first group of mobs and then I just stood there waiting for someone to come by so that I can tag along.

A level 17 templar came in and cleared that group in less than 10 seconds! It happened too fast for me to react. I thought he must be decked with uber gears so I decided to wait for someone else to walk by. Moment later, a level 18 nightblade came in and clear the group even faster than the templar! I tried again later... press R to respawn.

It was very depressing. I think I should quit this game and play Pong on my Atari.
  • catalyst10e
    catalyst10e
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the DK just isnt your playstyle? before outright quitting and before people jump to the l2p argument, You could try a different class to see if it works better for you.
    "Why settle for just stabbing your foes when you can roast them alive in a gout of arcane fire?"
    [| DC Breton Sorcerer || NA PS4 || PSN: Catalyst10e |]
    [| DC Dunmer Dragon Knight |]
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try asking for tips with your build in the Combat and Character Mechanics sub forum. There are usually many knowledgable players that post there.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • SleepyTroll
    SleepyTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fenlius wrote: »
    I was a level 23 dk and I wandered into a place called the Forgotten Crypts. I died like 10 times to the first group of mobs and then I just stood there waiting for someone to come by so that I can tag along.

A level 17 templar came in and cleared that group in less than 10 seconds! It happened too fast for me to react. I thought he must be decked with uber gears so I decided to wait for someone else to walk by. Moment later, a level 18 nightblade came in and clear the group even faster than the templar! I tried again later... press R to respawn.

It was very depressing. I think I should quit this game and play Pong on my Atari.

Don't quit ask for help! But isn't the forgotten crypts a group dungeon or what ever they are called?
  • EZgoin76
    EZgoin76
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both classes can achieve more aoe dmg than dk can at that lvl. Jabs & whirlwind can clear mobs quickly. I'm sure thats not all to their builds though. I have a lvl 40 magicka DK that's died twice as much as my sorc or temp ever did. Mainly when facing 3 or more opponents.
    I want to change the world. I'm just to lazy to do it.
  • GuyNamedSean
    GuyNamedSean
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forgotten Crypts is a public dungeon and was very difficult for me to complete on my first character as well. I've gotten better. You just have to stick to it and try out different playstyles and builds until you find what you can really rock.
    Former Guildmaster of the Legion of Mournhold
    XBL: GuyNamedSean
    PC: GuyNamedSeanPC
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It takes time to get used to the game mechanics. Especially when you first encounter groups of mobs.

You'll need to adapt and consider using CC (crowd control) skills and AOE (Area of effect) skills.
    Anything that helps you control several mobs at once.

Stun them, root them, knock them back, anything that gives you more time to do damage.

Try to CC the group, then concentrate on the healers/casters first as they usually have less health and armor.
    Try to buff yourself before the fight.
    Keep moving around. Avoid red circles, run/dodge out of them.
    Block heavy attacks (white swirls around mobs), interrupt channeled attacks (red swirls around mobs).

Use long lasting food/drink buffs.

Learn crafting styles and research traits, then make yourself armor and weapons with set bonuses and enchant them with good Glyphs.

bye1.gif
  • RobbaYaga
    RobbaYaga
    ✭✭
    Public Dungeons are ideally meant for a group of 4 with all three 3 "types" of characters involved (Tank, Healer, Damage Dealer). Doing it by yourself is going to be challenging with a new character, especially if you're new to the game as well. Some of those that you watched clean house probably have a more experienced character that built up "Championship Points" which first appear at Vet level 1 (Level 51) and transfer to all your other characters once you have them. (Some people have hundreds of Championship Points that are there as soon as they make a new character!) Those, along with experience, can make a huge difference. I bet you could message nearly anyone that replied to this post (including me) and they would do their best to help you with your character set up, just to make sure that's not the underlying problem. Videos are good too. Several people make them to try and help new players. Just search for eso videos on youtube or where ever.

RY
    Dragon kings, dying queens; where is salvation now?
  • tmathis
    tmathis
    Soul Shriven
    Nah man, these things happen and from what you've said it's not fair to compare yourself to those two players that happened by.

Those guys (or gals) sound like burst dps types, so they'll always smash and crash their way through things quickly but as soon as they come up against some of the heavy hitting enemies with a decent amount of health it will start getting a bit tough for them.

Since you're a DK I'm gonna assume that you're leaning towards the tanking direction (correct me if I'm wrong, could also be going for the flashy magicka fire mage that melts faces), and if you are the tanking type you will likely develop into a DoT (damage over time) build with a lot of sustain for long battles. Battles for you will be a slow and steady deal but you won't have to worry about dying too easily (at low levels this may not be the case but as you get stronger you'll see) and if you get into single target fights you'll wreck shop.

So this is why I said before that it might not be a fair comparison, but I feel that with the proper prep and experience any type of build can be effective. Also, soloing public dungeons is no joke and takes some serious patience and persistence, especially at higher levels

Source: Main is a DK tank, so if you have other questions just throw them all out here and I'll give it a go :)
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You shouldn't compare what's not comparable.

It's likely these players are re-rolling, which means that both they (via knowledge of the skills and game mechanics) and their character (via champion points) are stronger than you.
    That doesn't mean you're bad ! :-) That means that you have countless hours of pure pleasure ahead of you, progressing in the game and feeling increasingly more powerful, before being like them : bored by facerolling everything ! :-)

And don't hesitate to ask for help ingame. Some people will reject but most will be more than happy to do it. That's how you make friends, too ;-)
    Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on October 22, 2015 6:05PM
  • i3ig_Gun
    i3ig_Gun
    ✭✭✭

Put on some heavy armor

pick up some self buffs from the earthen heart tree.

make sure you have dragons blood on your bar,

use dual wield, or a destro staff and go magicka

dont forget to REPAIR your gear and have your weapons fully charged...

ALSO use food buffs, and health/stamina/magicka potions...

play smart, dont stand in junk, dont get hit by power attacks, and interrupt your targets.
    XBOX ONE - NA
    GT: i3ig Gun
    Legion of Many - Daggerfall Covenant
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't quit yet! I understand your frustration, but there ARE things you can do. Its never hopeless. You have to consider that the people you saw, you have no idea what they may have gone through to make their builds the best they possibly can be for their play style. For all you know, they spent weeks and weeks refining their character.

So! Don't worry about what is easy for others :) Start off by figuring out how you want to play, is DK right for you? Do you like the skills and weapon choices you have made? Start posting asking for advice on your build, I've done the same and its helped loads. You'd be surprised how people are happy to help when you ask, and there's always going to be someone who knows more about certain aspects. And of course you can read up on tips and anything you may not understand.

Good luck! :)
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's also very possible that the templar and NB were alts being levelled by long time players with loads of Champion Points - lots of CP can almost trivialise the normal pre-vet content, to the point that I tend to not use my CP until I hit vet.

But if I was looking to level an alt quickly, I would dump all my CP into it to make the process go as fast as possible.

Edit: Damn I missed the post by @anitajoneb17_ESO - what that post said ;)
    Edited by Elephant42 on October 22, 2015 10:18PM
  • Zavus
    Zavus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only if you give me your stuff first.
    Zavus - Worst NB NA / First NB RANK 50
    "Most carried General NA" - Cent Satori

Haxus

• DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You're still new! He probably already has a vet character. When i first started i thought i really sucked too, but then i made a new one and i could take on anything up until level 35 with lvl 10 gear. It's literally all skill you will gain over time
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To add to and reinforce what others have said:

Forgotten Crypts is a public dungeon. That means it's not actually meant to be done solo. It's meant to be group content where you'll do it with a couple of friends, or join up with whomever you see nearby.

Just because there are people who can solo it doesn't mean that you should feel bad because you can't solo it.

In order to successfully solo a public dungeon that's at your level, you need to have a build that focuses on area damage. That's not necessarily the same build you want to use for the rest of your time playing. A single-target build may be more effective against a couple of enemies or against bosses than an AOE build is, but it will struggle in public dungeons.

Also, it's highly possible (and probably likely) that the people you saw crushing the dungeon solo are experienced players who are leveling up alts. With experience and practice you get much better at handling content like that. Additionally, there's a good chance that those people had champion points to spend in order to increase the effectiveness of those characters, and there's a good chance that they're using strong crafted gear sets, so their gear is possibly just flat-out superior to yours.

Back when I first started playing at PC launch, when i was fresh out of Coldharbour I had serious trouble with a level 4 quest boss. Today if I had a new level 4 character, I'd easily be able to take on level 10-12 bosses without breaking a sweat. That's partly simple experience, and partly that I'd be using much better gear than I had back when I first started playing.

Bottom line: don't be discouraged by this.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just try getting some experience and try again later don't worry about how others are compared to you. those people probably already have their build all figured out with templar and NB it is easy to get good builds fairly early it takes real time and effort to pull off a good DK build but when you do...ouch. Temps are better at damaging mobs than DKs and they heal while doing so and that other NB may just be an experienced player and/or plays PvP. as I said don't give up, get up and try again.
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • Fenlius
    Fenlius
    I didn't even know that was a public dungeon designed for 2+ players. I thought I am just bad at this game.

I finally tagged along with a nightblade and went all the way to the last boss and killed it. It is done... thanks for all the suggestions really appreciate it.
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Forgotten Crypts is a Public Dungeon. It's going to be harder to clear out by yourself
    2) That Templar was probably loaded with CP. I should know, I've cleared several public dungeons above my level and solo'd the group event with the moderate amount of CP I have
    3) Don't give up. Post a screenshot of your build and stuff in another thread in the Players Helping Players section and let us provide pointers. Contrary to popular opinion we actually like to help people.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't even know that was a public dungeon designed for 2+ players. I thought I am just bad at this game.

I finally tagged along with a nightblade and went all the way to the last boss and killed it. It is done... thanks for all the suggestions really appreciate it.
    Good to hear! Look for the symbols on your map: a symbol that looks like a single torch is a delve. Delves are easily done solo. A symbol that looks like the entrance to a cave is a public dungeon. Public dungeons can be done solo if you're experienced and have a good build for it, but are meant to be done in a group of 2 or more. A symbol that looks like a square, man-made dungeon entrance is a group dungeon. Group dungeons can't be done solo except by a select few players with builds designed for it, and are meant to be done in a group of 4, including all 3 roles (tank, healer, and DPS).
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're a quitter that leaves just because things get tough instead of working at it and becoming better, yeah, you should probably go.
    But honestly, it gets easier. The second, third, fourth times I've gone back to do old content I breezed through it in almost afk mode. Those players you saw solo that dungeon were probably not new. Their levels maybe, but they are most likely experienced players with increased mitigation and damage from copious amounts of champion points. Welcome to ESO and the Champion system.
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For future reference the public dungeons have a cave like icon without the + (the plus signifies group instanced dungeons) and normal dungeons have a torch icon on the map. Try doing the normal ones for now, I still have trouble with public dungeons I have to team up with someone on occasion but beating the group challenge boss is well worth it.
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • KronicDecay
    KronicDecay
    ✭✭✭
    I died to the first mud crab I came across. I know the feeling. It only gets better though the more you learn how your character works and finding better gear from questing etc. Don't quit though. (Currently a v7 Khajiit DK Tank and loving every minute of it)
    Edited by KronicDecay on October 23, 2015 6:32PM
  • Heroborg
    Heroborg
    ✭✭
    Before going into the delve complete more quests and locals. Just do a bit of grinding and also take some food that increases max health such as meat dishs if ou are in dc i can help you im VT 4.
    Daggerfall Covenant Loyalist
  • Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forgotten Crypts is a public dungeon and was very difficult for me to complete on my first character as well. I've gotten better. You just have to stick to it and try out different playstyles and builds until you find what you can really rock.

This^

Also ask yourself some questions: Are you blocking? Are you interrupting? Can you dodge? Eso works different to the usual mmo's in the way combat is handled. It's more reaction than rotation, if that makes sense.

Another good technique is animation cancelling. Take a look at some guides on youtube for your class and resource choice and combat techniques. ESO combat is really very good when you get the hang of it. Each class is very different and it's a good idea to have something in mind.

For example, I wanted to be a duel wielding magical assassin. So I went with a Nightblade and worked on magic and magic regen. Best way to do this is play the starter Island for each class and get a feel for each class, take a look at each skill, which resource they use and what they turn into. Also look at all the passives.

Hope it works out for you.

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I died to the first mud crab I came across.
    That describes my first experience in Skyrim. I got through the training intro, made my way to Riverwood (having a fierce battle with some wolves along the way), spotted something moving over by the water, went over to check it out, and then I was slain by a mudcrab :'(
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If any of you wish to have an ego boost, I had to wait with most public dungeons, untill I was v12, even the ones in non veteran areas.

That content is so easy for me today, but I remember in the beginning, when I lvl'ed my first char - I really struggled at everything. I got stuck on quests and hand to ask for help to be able to finish them, or sometimes wait 10 lvls to be able to solo it.

lol it doesn't take champion points to be able to solo public dungeons as a low level either... it can be done without.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can still remember the first time hubby and I ran across Fungal Grotto.

We were new, we had no idea what undaunted really meant, we were just getting the hang of the game (as it turns out there are many phases of this) and thought we were all that and a bag of chips.

The very first part of the dungeon, there is a place where about 4-6 goblins come at you.

Oh sure NOW either one of us could do it solo - but we were new to mobs, new to the game, new to our skills. We were overrun and killed. Fast.

And then again.

And then again.

Eventually we came back higher level in a four person group and it went so much better. But I cherish the memory of that WTF-ness, because it's nice to be able to look back at something and think "I got better".

Right now, my highest level character is vet 4. Recently tried to run (non vet) Imperial Prison with "our group" (My vet 4 orc/battlemage, my husband's Vet 4 breton templar/healer, a vet 15 redguard templar/DPS and a vet 2 redgard DK). We struggled through and after the third wipe on what I devoutly HOPE was the final boss, we gave it up for a while.

Eventually we will figure out a good gestalt and finish it, and look back and laugh. And that will be fun too.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • ladyonthemoon
    ladyonthemoon
    ✭✭✭
    [quote="Fenlius;225851"It was very depressing. I think I should quit this game ...[/quote]I got burnt once or twice playing that game too but the only way to improve is learn by your own mistakes. There are players out there that have years of training in video games, they have the dexterity I don't have, although I've been playing ES games for several years now. Basically, what you must learn is how you can handle this game; don't look at what others do or manage to do, just learn your possibilities.

It took me five deaths before I understand how to defeat Nurion. This character belongs to a quest where you must fight him alongside the queen of the Altmer. The b... killed my at least five times before I understood that you must keep the queen alive enough so that Nurion doesn't take interest in you. Well, you see that kind of stuff.

In short: learn from your deaths, try to understand why you died, do not imitate the other players. ;)

Edited by ladyonthemoon on October 24, 2015 7:40AM
  • ladyonthemoon
    ladyonthemoon
    ✭✭✭
    Oops, double post.
    Edited by ladyonthemoon on October 24, 2015 7:41AM