The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mac OS X 10.11.1?

radicalb21
radicalb21
✭✭✭
Anyone having any issues? The update came out today.
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    radicalb21 wrote: »
    Anyone having any issues? The update came out today.

Yeah, I've been waiting till it was safe to download El Capitan. What's the word?
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I stuck wth Yosemite until 10.11.1 came out (skipped release day update to 10.11).

Here is what I am seeing, and granted maybe its just my perception. The graphics now slightly look better than they did pre El Capitan, same settings. That's my honest opinion, maybe I am wrong. The game does feel a little slower FPS wise.

With that being said, the pros here on this forum seem to agree that El Capitan should allow ESO to perform better. I think Chris and the Mac team just need some time to optimize some stuff in a patch or two.
    Edited by Publius_Scipio on October 23, 2015 1:33AM
  • LaucianNailor
    LaucianNailor
    ✭✭✭
    I waited and downloaded 10.11.1 as well rather than at release. My impressions are similar to above. The game feels a little smoother and I'm definitely seeing some FPS improvements, with more numbers in the green (30+ as reported through minimap).

I'm not saying this is the case but I've played, including logging in and out of 5 characters, for just over an hour and haven't had any crashes and this included hopping into a dungeon twice and using a number of way shrines (and of course the Bank where a larger number of players gather). Could be a positive stability step here.

First impressions are positive right now B)

EDIT: Well after about 5 hours straight, not one single crash, which is a first time ever for me on a days play. Very Happy :)
    Edited by LaucianNailor on October 23, 2015 3:27PM
    Mac/PC EU Server

Lots of alts....561+ CP
    Inside Trade Guild
  • ViscousSummer88
    ViscousSummer88
    ✭✭✭
    I've been running El Capitan since release date and had no issues with playing at all. Not a single crash, stutter or performance issue- in fact it seems the performance has increased!
    Steam Profile | Discord: Oliver#0001 | EU Megaserver: @ViscousSummer88
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've been running El Capitan since release date and had no issues with playing at all. Not a single crash, stutter or performance issue- in fact it seems the performance has increased!

Really wow. I read that El Capitan itself had quite a few issues at release. Quite frankly I think I see some myself in 10.11.1.
  • ViscousSummer88
    ViscousSummer88
    ✭✭✭

Really wow. I read that El Capitan itself had quite a few issues at release. Quite frankly I think I see some myself in 10.11.1.

There are defiantly bugs in the OS itself, but I've not come across anything which has caused an unfriendly or unusable experience. I was spec tidal about using it so soon but I'd heared decent things. Performance has been very good, for me at least, from upgrading. I was expecting to be very disappointed with performance but I'm pleasantly surprised
    Steam Profile | Discord: Oliver#0001 | EU Megaserver: @ViscousSummer88
  • LaucianNailor
    LaucianNailor
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite pleasantly surprised to be honest. After 4 days play I still haven't had a single crash (and was getting multiple crashes on Yosemite per day before). Performance is still improved and I'm really not sure why this is the case!

Whether El Capitan has better memory management built into the system or software that controls the machine hardware I can't say, but I'm very happy now. 64bit will be the final cherry on the cake whenever that appears B)
    Mac/PC EU Server

Lots of alts....561+ CP
    Inside Trade Guild
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    So it looks like 10.11 uses 200-300 MB less ram then 10.10

This would make ESO crash less often.

-- ESO -- Lead Mac Programmer...
    Staff Post
  • alcinoo
    alcinoo
    So it looks like 10.11 uses 200-300 MB less ram then 10.10
    thanks Apple :)
    running ESO on 10.8.5 and really happy about that, no crash at all, maybe 1 or 2 in more than 3 months.
    now i need to upgrade my OS because after orsinium release ESO won't even start.

can you guys tell me if is better on 10.9 or 10.1?
    (i've read that 10.10 is not good)

i'm on a Mac Book Pro 15-inch, Mid 2012
    2.3 GHz inter Core i7, 8GB 1333 DDR3

planning to expand my RAM to 16 for work reasons, does it help ESO as well?

thanks!
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    alcinoo wrote: »
    can you guys tell me if is better on 10.9 or 10.1?
    (i've read that 10.10 is not good)

See the second half of my answer here. It's quite a little improvement over 10.10, and with 10.11.1 already available in the installer there's even less kinks left.
    planning to expand my RAM to 16 for work reasons, does it help ESO as well?
    As long as the ESO client stays a 32-bit process, not directly. But this will be remedied Soon(TM), as is everyone's hope around here. The OS will need to swap VM pages in or out less often, if at all, and can use more RAM as background disk buffers. Plus, you can let more Apps let sit open on the desktop, without fear of performance degradation due to swapping.
  • flying_ace2
    flying_ace2
    ✭✭
    My experience has been the opposite - since downloading Orsinium and El Capitan, I've had many more random crashes in PvE areas (PvP is still a lagfest, loading screen of forever type mess, let's not even go there). I'm wondering if it's related to addons, even though they've all been updated?
    AD
    Just Chill
    Victorem (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Moonlight Crew (RIP)
    PC - NA
    El-phaba - Sorc
    Rammoth - NB
    Daenora - Temp
  • raffaeleg
    raffaeleg
    ✭✭✭
    My gameplay is going awful, I really can't play after this last update. The frame rate is dropping at 2-3, was always going very smooth, 2560 x 1440, windowed or fullscreen, also on OS X El Capitan.
  • pronkg
    pronkg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Getting random crashes as Well all of a sudden, feels like the old memory leak is back
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭

The ONLY problem I've had with the new update and El Capitan is The fact that the ESO launcher is telling me I don't have enough disk space when I've free up over 4 gigs now. It says I have 9.45 gigs of space, is this not enough?
    Edited by Wodinn on November 6, 2015 2:59PM
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Wodinn, please refer to my post here. Most likely you have hidden space allocated by local Time Machine backups.

If you're an Apple Music customer, you could also free space used by the local iTunes streaming cache, located unter
    ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.itunes. In a Finder window, press [Shift]-[Cmd]-[G], then enter the path. Don't delete the folder itself, only its contents.
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    @Wodinn, please refer to my post here. Most likely you have hidden space allocated by local Time Machine backups.

If you're an Apple Music customer, you could also free space used by the local iTunes streaming cache, located unter
    ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.itunes. In a Finder window, press [Shift]-[Cmd]-[G], then enter the path. Don't delete the folder itself, only its contents.

Ok I will look into this thank you.
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I just realized that my time machine backups are on the secondary disk drive. I have two hard drives in my comp. the main is a 512 SSD HD. So there should not be any time machine backups on the SSD at all.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    Wodinn wrote: »
    So there should not be any time machine backups on the SSD at all.
    You can check this by following the instructions I've posted here.

ok, my bad I didn't specify my system specs. I'm on an iMac mid 11' 27". So with in not being a macbook would this still be an issue? Also thank you for the help so far. This has been really frustrating sense they released the update.
    Edited by Wodinn on November 6, 2015 4:18PM
  • duncan_cougarpreeb18_ESO
    iMac 2014 (maxed out spec, with 1TB SSD) - before 10.11 ok (1-2 crashes a day),
    now (10.11.1) ... crashes at least once per hour.
    Edited by duncan_cougarpreeb18_ESO on November 7, 2015 2:21PM
  • alcinoo
    alcinoo
    OS X is now updated, even if i've the 4 installation DVD i'm downloading the client from the site

9497xqm6vye4.png

is it coming all at once or i'll need to click to go through IC and Orsinium?
    guess it'll take a while and i'm leaving in 30'
    Edited by alcinoo on November 7, 2015 6:59PM
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The client always comes in one piece, with all existing content in it. There are no separate downloads.
  • alcinoo
    alcinoo
    The client always comes in one piece, with all existing content in it. There are no separate downloads.

thanks mate! apparently all is good, actually too drunk at the moment to log in, i'll try it tomorrow... ;)
    i really appreciate all the support from this forum

see you in game
    @alcinoo
  • alcinoo
    alcinoo
    tested for 1 hour
    looks alright so far but yes, i can confirm that i've lost 10 - 15 fps :(
    and that's pretty sad because now i'm around 20 - 25

i need to drop the resolution massively to speed it up 30 - 40 but than it looks like playing in the 90'
    i love the 90'... but... c'mon...
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭

Some things to test.

1. We have seen at least 1 machine a Mac Pro crashing hard with the GPU Driver basically crashing under 10.11.1. This seems to happen when the Launcher / Game are running and Chrome is running. Try not running Chrome at the same time.
    ( this might be only a new BLACK Mac Pro issue )

2. If your FPS has dropped alot from moving to 10.10 try.
    a. Trash the shader cache ( this probably will not help at all but worth a trying once )
    b. Try quitting the launcher after starting up ESO, see if you get better FPS with that also compare Windowed mode to full screen mode.

3. Please report back if any of this helps or not. :smile:

-- ESO -- Lead Mac Programmer...
    Staff Post
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    Wodinn wrote: »
    So there should not be any time machine backups on the SSD at all.
    You can check this by following the instructions I've posted here.

If i am on an iMac 27" would this make a difference? in your post it said that it does it on mac books. I have no idea, without an external hard drive, how i'm going to get enough space back for this game. D:

Edit: I do apologize. Upon further inspection of my SSD drive I've found TONS of, back ups upon backups of my senior class work from SUU. Turns out... I have have a lot of 'tidying' up to do. I didn't even realize. Again i'm sorry for the un-needed disturbance.
    Edited by Wodinn on November 10, 2015 4:00PM
  • alcinoo
    alcinoo
    Some things to test.

a. Trash the shader cache ( this probably will not help at all but worth a trying once )
    b. Try quitting the launcher after starting up ESO, see if you get better FPS with that also compare Windowed mode to full screen mode.

thanks Chris
    not sure about point a, how can i do that, but remember i've started ESO for the first time after a clean install of the new OSX
    so basically should be as a brand "new" machine

about pint b, alway played with no other applications in bg
    i would quit the dock and the clock if was possible :D
  • Valderis
    Valderis
    ✭✭
    I have been experiencing game issues which have rendered this game unplayable.

I am on a 2011 MacBook Pro 8,2,
    i7 2.2ghz
    8gm RAM
    Radeon 6750 1gb RAM
    OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks

Previously with my laptop, settings adjusted to all toggled details off EXCEPT grass, Settings at Medium, No AA No Vsync, My FPS was 28-50. Now, my fps is 7-13fps.

i've repaired, tried different resolutions, adjusted fan rpm to increase cooling, manual switching of graphics card, nothing.
    It feels like the original problem the Mac client had at release. Choppy and unplayable.
    Jone and Jode are in a dance. Who leads, you ask? There, lies the wisdom of my ancestors... - Ra'fiiq
  • jhharvest
    jhharvest
    ✭✭✭
    3. Please report back if any of this helps or not. :smile:
    I've tested this now. Deleting the cache before launch and killing the launcher after launching gave me a small increase in FPS, maybe 5 fps or so. The animations are still firing strange in full screen mode (for example, Templar's skill Puncturing Sweep isn't time like it's supposed to be), and work better in a smaller window.

An interesting aspect is that ESO is not using very much of my CPU time. I'm seeing just 30-60% of a single core, so 15% user load on the whole system. I didn't look at the meters under 10.8 but I think CPU use was higher back then, because killing other applications helped my FPS. Currently I can run pretty much any application I want in the background and it doesn't affect ESO FPS at all. Of course, purely conjecture and no way for me to test this anymore since the client doesn't launch. Memory footprint is relatively low at 1.65GB as well.