Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I have too many available skill points?

Finndar
Finndar
Hello,

First-time player here. I've been loving the game so far! I am now VR1 and going through my second faction. I have, however, too many free skill points: I have 24 points free! Please help me understand what I'm missing. Some data:

1) I am a stamina-based Dragonknight. I play solo.

2) I have One-hand And Shield as my first bar. In it, I've maxed everything except the following which I've put zero points into:
  • Defensive Posture
  • Shield Charge
  • Battlefield Mobility (Passive)

I have Bow as my second bar. In it, I've maxed everything, but I did not spend any points in the final passive, Hasty Retreat.

3) I wear only Heavy Armor. Am I not supposed to? As a result, I have all the passives maxed. I do not use the one active, although I have a point and a morph in it.

4) My class choice is Ardent Flame. From it, I only use the ultimate (standard of might) and I use the pull spell, Empowering Chains. I have no other skill points spent in Ardent Flame because they're all recursive skills. Perhaps this is part of my problem?

5) For the Mages' and Undaunted guilds, I only have the basic points spent. I have passives in the Fighters' Guild maxed. I use the "Evil Hunter" active skill and have it maxed.

6) My racial is maxed.

7) I am a crafter. I have max provisioning with a lot of points spent. I have Blacksmithing and WW and Clothier. I haven't spent a lot of points in those. I only spent the basic tier points (I'm on the Calcinium/Brigandine/Kresh tier) and I've spent points to see the harvesting nodes.

What am I doing wrong? Why do I still have 24 points, with lots more on the way now that I'm in my second faction lands?

Thank you!
Finndar
Finnbear - Templar
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have 299 skillpoints, and all are used and I still want more.

-Vampire or werewolf takes skillpoints.

-You say you are crafter, does that include aclhemy and enchant as well?

-I use medium armor, but have 1 or 2 heavy as well, so I invested in heavy armor passives.

-Legerdemain.

Just what I come up with now..
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    - alliance war skill line
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Oh what a terrible problem to have ;)

You aren't necessarily doing anything wrong. If you intend to only play solo/play primarily PvE content and your build is working for you, then you don't necessarily need to invest skill points in anything else.

Many players have more than one build that they use depending on what content they are doing or what combination of players they have in their group. Because of this, they need a lot of options available to them. For example, some people have a build for PvE and a different build for PvP. Some people have builds for playing multiple roles (dps, healer, tank). Some even have a separate build just for grinding mobs. These different builds might use completely different weapons and armor types.

My only real suggestions (without knowing what type of content you are ultimately trying to do):

1. Most players use abilities from all three of their class skill lines, not just one (ardent flame, in your case).

2. If you attend to craft make sure you have points in hirelings, reduced research times, and temper extraction.

3. Passives are really never bad to have, if you can throw extra points into a passive for a skill line you use, it would probably be beneficial down the road.

Edited by Allyhoo811 on October 21, 2015 4:53PM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finndar wrote: »
    1) I am a stamina-based Dragonknight. I play solo.
    Respect.

You're not doing anything wrong. You get an abundance of points for extra skill trees; Werewolf, Vampire, Legerdemain, Soul Magic, Undaunted, Fighter's Guild, Mages Guild, Alliance (Support and Assault), all the crafting trees. Some of these you may not have even unlocked.
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I end up spending my "extra" skill points on fun passives, because I have the points & why not?
    & morphs on the same principle.
    :smiley:
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    My advice to you is to use the skill points to start leveling other skills and weapons. You might not want them now but nothing is static in this game and you never know what might pique your interest down the track - best be prepared.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Elephant42 wrote: »
    My advice to you is to use the skill points to start leveling other skills and weapons. You might not want them now but nothing is static in this game and you never know what might pique your interest down the track - best be prepared.

This...You also never know when your preferred playstyle will get nerfed into the ground. Options are always good :)

• Finndar
    Finndar
    Thank you very much everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to offer advice!
    Finnbear - Templar
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elephant42 wrote: »
    ^ yes, this.

As @Elephant42 knows (because we often run dungeons together), I believe in flexibility. My VR16 templar has been built in such a way that I've leveled up virtually every skill line available to me to max (my Alliance War skill lines, my Dual Wield skill line, and a couple of the crafting skill lines aren't maxed out yet, but everything else is), and I've leveled a ton of different skills and their morphs so that I can start using them at some point if I decide to switch up my playstyle.

One way you can do this is to switch to a bar with some skills on it from skill lines that you're leveling prior to turning in a quest and getting the quest XP. Ideally you also want to be wearing at least 1 piece of each armour type until all of your armour skill lines are at 50 - you don't need to put any skill points into the armour lines that you don't really use, but you may want to later.

It's easier to do things this way than it is to suddenly realize that you want to change something about your build, and then have to spend a long time slowly leveling up the thing that you want to start using.

Thanks to doing this, my VR16 now has a setup where by simply changing my gear and what active skills/ultimates I have slotted, I can quickly switch between the roles of DPS, healer, and tank. This is incredibly convenient when getting a group together for dungeon runs, because i can do whichever role we're having trouble finding someone for (this usually means that I'm the tank, which suits me just fine).
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finndar wrote: »
    I have, however, too many free skill points: I have 24 points free!
    Yep, about what I had before I decided to waste half doing Alchemy. Don't sweat it. You don't have to spend all your skill points. Now that you're VR1, you'll be more focused on CP.
    Please help me understand what I'm missing.
    You're not missing anything. Keep them handy, because at VR, you won't be earning them as much. You'll only get 1 skill point per level, and it takes a bit to get to VR2 (not including quests which give them, which aren't many).

Welcome to veteran rank! :)

• i3ig_Gun
    i3ig_Gun
    ✭✭✭
    I'm around the 300 skill point marks as well, and currently have them spent in EVERY passive.

Maxed out EVERY profession, and have multiple builds for my DK at anytime...

I still need more skill points
    XBOX ONE - NA
    GT: i3ig Gun
    Legion of Many - Daggerfall Covenant
  • I3irchy
    I3irchy
    Fill everything lol your bound to switch roles at some point, I switch roles 30-40 times a day for pvp/healing, pvp/dps, pve/healing and soloing making me carry 4 different setups. I need skill points even though I got 240ish spent, and bit of advice... Become a tank for pve dungeons as they are rare and you'll find groups very easily
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    why dont you spend the skill point right at the time when you become it? or right now?
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Finndar -
    Defensive Posture - with this on your bar your blocking cost is reduced.. i would certainly max this.
    Shield Charge - I would max this as the biggest issue with a DK is there is no mobility, moving quickly around the battle field
    Battlefield Mobility (Passive) - a must as well

I have Bow as my second bar. In it, I've maxed everything, but I did not spend any points in the final passive, Hasty Retreat.
    I would max hasty retreat as well as a dodge roll and sprint can get you out of trouble..

Also start looking at other lines like 2H that may benefit you..

Regarding armour, Medium armour is actually the right fit for stamina users however what ever you find best.
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Belidos
    Belidos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd highly recommend to go 5 pieces heavy and 2 pieces medium for the medium stamina passives, even if you're a magicka build the extra stamina and stamina regen is very useful for sprinting, blocking and dodge rolling.