Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Ignorant Vet 12 Here

FixedBlade123
FixedBlade123
✭✭✭
Okay. I've been playing video games for a long time but never have I done any online playing until now. So I'm an idiot where online gaming is concerned. I've played Oblivion and Skyrim and Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas several times each. I've done a lot of the 007 games and a bunch of other "individual" sorts of games. Etc.

Anyway, I've been playing ESO as an individual player since I bought it and have worked my way up to Vet 12 (mostly on my own). True ... I've had lots of help at Dark Anchors and several of the public caves but I think I've only grouped a couple of times. There are lots of Dungeons I haven't done yet. I'm at a point now that if I want to keep strengthening my character and leveling up I will need to do a lot more grouping.

My main question has to do with Guilds. I've been invited to a couple of small guilds (and accepted the invites) but didn't know what I was supposed to do after the fact. One dude invited me while I was in the middle of the woods. He was standing by some water fishing and I got the invite out of the blue. I accepted. I tried to have a conversation with him through my headset and he had very little to say then pretended that he couldn't hear me. He then invited me to group with him then immediately un-invited me and ran away. I thought that was a bit strange. Later, I went to a city bank to deposit some stuff and the dude walked into the same bank. When he saw me ... he ran out again. That made me curious so I ran out after him and hid while he did something at an enchanting table. Shortly thereafter, I started researching his guild (turns out that he was the owner of the guild) and noticed that he had withdrawn everything that was in the Guild Bank. I decided to remove myself from that guild due to the dude's strange behavior.

So ... here I am. I want to join a reputable guild but not a mega-guild. Just a good sized guild with honest players. Then, I want to learn what I need to do to be a good member in good standing. What do I need to do to help the guild out? Also, I'm ready and willing to start grouping. I'm neither a tank nor a healer. I do most of my damage from a distance with a staff and I'm a DragonKnight.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

FixedBlade123
  • ladyonthemoon
    ladyonthemoon
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, not exactly something that will encourage anyone to join a guild, is it?

I'm a lot newer than you at this game (one week) but I think that you don't need to join a guild to do group dungeons, just create a group, advertise for it here and ask people to join it, or try and find an existing group. Do you have in game friends?
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

He's referring to consoles, with no text chat to communicate.

Guilds on PC are much easier to communicate with due to text chat. They are good guilds and bad guilds, guilds suited to your needs and guilds that aren't... you might need a bit of trial & failure to find your right spot.

You can live quite well without a guild, BUT once you've reached group-only zones, if you want to discover the group dungeons, or tackle the endgame content, you'll need one, because otherwise, you'll rely on pick-up groups and believe me, there are much more awful pick-up groups than awful guilds.

You may try to socialize and group via contacts/friends list only, haven't tried it, maybe it works.

• ladyonthemoon
    ladyonthemoon
    ✭✭✭
    "tackle the endgame content"?

"Group only dungeons" suck; even if I'm sure they are great... :D
    Edited by ladyonthemoon on October 21, 2015 1:34PM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ... here I am. I want to join a reputable guild but not a mega-guild. Just a good sized guild with honest players. Then, I want to learn what I need to do to be a good member in good standing. What do I need to do to help the guild out? Also, I'm ready and willing to start grouping. I'm neither a tank nor a healer. I do most of my damage from a distance with a staff and I'm a DragonKnight.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

FixedBlade123

I'd suggest to do what you'd do IRL : knock at the door, be polite, talk to people, without being too invasive, listen to them a lot, and get a general feel of the community. If you like it, stay, if you don't, leave and try some place else.

There's no general rule as to what you need to do to be a good member. It will depend on the culture that each guild has developed over time. Of course, not ransacking the guild bank and helping members should be valid points for all of them ! :-)

• failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be social, since you're v12 you haven't reached endgame yet. Search the forum for nice friendly pve and trading guilds, if you have friends in the game then ask around for friendly guilds too.

Once you get in a guild, listen to critizism and try to min-max a little. The group content in this game is "challenging" for many players, and leaves little room for "Play as you want", because the wrong builds and low damage can easily lead to a waste of soul gems and time.

The reason why I suggest you also find a good trading guild, it is because you have only 4 levels left to reach max level, and the endgame gear costs a lot.
    -I mean ...inPC-EU 150k to 400k for a single ring, then the cost of the necklace and other ring, armor parts and weapons + enchantments and minimum up to purple upgrade of everything. Sure you can spend the time grinding for it, but then you get a load of stuff you wont need and can sell that instead and earn gold in for future builds.

Also don't be too picky. Once you join a guild and is able to group up with others, don't neccesarily discriminate if they want to do a dungeon v1 scaled because loot will be poor to you.

The reason: Undaunted is good to lvl up, and the more dungeons you do, the more you lvl it up. The group dungeon quests provide a skillpoint, and lower levels are more open toward taking a quest and waiting for you, than a group of v16's in endgame gear who just wish to rush through the dungeon and skip bosses.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Guilds add a lot to the experience, especially on PC if they have Teamspeak. I suggest finding guilds online. Reddit has a weekly thread for guild invites. Join some of the larger guilds.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One dude invited me while I was in the middle of the woods. He was standing by some water fishing and I got the invite out of the blue. I accepted. I tried to have a conversation with him through my headset and he had very little to say then pretended that he couldn't hear me.

Some people invite random players so they can grow their guild to get a bank. These are not guild worth being a part of.

Some guilds require participation in something to maintain good standing, some guilds are loose on that requirement. By something I mean PvP or Trials or Dungeon running or RP or Crafting or whatever. Most just want helpful members who make the guild a good place to be. You can always drop a guild if it is not working out for you. So, join some, see what they are like and keep the ones that make sense for you.

There is a Guild recruitment section on these boards, that is a good place to find like minded guilds to join.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone has given you great advice, especially Nestor's suggestion to check out the appropriate guild recruitment section for your platform/server.

I wanted to address the suggestion above to "just create a group, advertise for it here and ask people to join it." This is not going to be your best bet for finding a group. It isn't against the forum rules or anything and it may even work sometimes; however, from what I've seen, people who attempt this get very few replies to their threads and are probably left feeling more disappointed than anything. The Players Helping Players isn't really designed to be a looking for group section. People come here to get general ESO questions answered quickly or to get help with builds etc. They aren't necessarily looking to group up for specific content and may not read threads other than those they create.

If you do attempt to advertise for a group here make sure you include all the information needed for others to determine if they could even play with you (Platform, Server, Alliance, Level, Role, Times Your On, etc.). I don't know how many times I've seen threads where folks don't include this info and it probably decreases even further the chances of getting responses.

Good luck!
  • ladyonthemoon
    ladyonthemoon
    ✭✭✭
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »
    I wanted to address the suggestion above to "just create a group, advertise for it here and ask people to join it." This is not going to be your best bet for finding a group. ...
    Good to know! ;)

• Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to address the suggestion above to "just create a group, advertise for it here and ask people to join it." This is not going to be your best bet for finding a group. ...
    Good to know! ;)

Personally, I think that having a dedicated looking for group section somewhere on the forums might be a good thing (especially until consoles get text chat). Players Helping Players is pretty low traffic in comparison to other forum areas and is usually only frequented by new players needing help or high level, long time players who like to answer questions lol
    Edited by Allyhoo811 on October 21, 2015 5:00PM
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to address the suggestion above to "just create a group, advertise for it here and ask people to join it."

I really like your idea, but I think it will be easier and a more pleasent experience for him to start out as a member of a guild, instead of having to lead one.
    If the guildmaster is not already experienced and able to help out newer members, or lacks simple knowledge of game mechanics to begin with, or simply lacks time to invest that much in the game, then it can be troublesome to get the guild running actively. But it can be done, given enough dedication.

And again considering that OP plays on console, with no text chat - starting a guild on forums might be good way of getting a few friends, and expand the guild or friends list from there. I really don't know :/

People struggle with grouping up on PC platform, I can only imagine the hell console players go through.

OP if you choose to follow Allyhoo811's suggestion and create your own grouping guild, I wish you good luck as well.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to address the suggestion above to "just create a group, advertise for it here and ask people to join it."

I really like your idea, but I think it will be easier and a more pleasent experience for him to start out as a member of a guild, instead of having to lead one.
    If the guildmaster is not already experienced and able to help out newer members, or lacks simple knowledge of game mechanics to begin with, or simply lacks time to invest that much in the game, then it can be troublesome to get the guild running actively. But it can be done, given enough dedication.

And again considering that OP plays on console, with no text chat - starting a guild on forums might be good way of getting a few friends, and expand the guild or friends list from there. I really don't know :/

People struggle with grouping up on PC platform, I can only imagine the hell console players go through.

OP if you choose to follow Allyhoo811's suggestion and create your own grouping guild, I wish you good luck as well.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting the OP start a guild...I was responding to a suggestion by a previous poster that he create a group for a dungeon and then look to fill it on the Players Helping Players section of the forums (i.e., the "Looking for Group for Banished Cells" type threads we get here). I was actually suggesting that he follow Nestor's advice and join an already established guild, because the LFG threads never seem to work out well here. But I also included some info on how best to create a LFG thread, if he decided to go with the previous poster's suggestion. Sorry if that was confusing :(

I definitely wouldn't recommend someone new to MMOs start a guild without being in several first. Guild leadership is hard and is best done after serving as an officer under a successful leader.
    Edited by Allyhoo811 on October 22, 2015 3:38AM
  • FixedBlade123
    FixedBlade123
    ✭✭✭

I'm a lot newer than you at this game (one week) but I think that you don't need to join a guild to do group dungeons, just create a group, advertise for it here and ask people to join it, or try and find an existing group. Do you have in game friends?

I had some friends but the other day when I went to look at my friends list there was nobody in it. I don't know what happened to them.
  • FixedBlade123
    FixedBlade123
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The game is truly awesome and I've enjoyed every minute of it (even when I was getting whipped by a boss -- repeatedly -- and yelling at my television).

So far, all my gear is stuff I've found in treasure chests or taken off of dead enemies. I only have one purple item and, at Vet 12, all of my gear is Vet 8, 9, and 10. I die pretty quickly when fighting a boss at close range which is frustrating. I've been working on leveling my woodworking and blacksmithing and enchanting skills but it's slow going as long as I'm no longer getting skill points. Every now and then I get lucky enough to find 3 sky shards (over a few days time) but I can't even find them anymore.

I'm still a pretty good fighter and I always help other players when I see them struggling. I would say that I'm a low-level Vet 12 but it took a ton of work to make it this far. I'm eager to go farther so I'll take the suggestion to seek out a group tonight. I avoid loud and boisterous places like Riften, Davon's Watch, and Ebonheart where everyone is screeming and playing rap music or calling each other the N word or arguing with each other over trivial things.

Anyway, thanks again.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Every now and then I get lucky enough to find 3 sky shards (over a few days time) but I can't even find them anymore.

There are achievements related to finding sky shards. If you check the achievements section of your journal, you can see how many you are still missing and in what zones. There are also clues to where each sky shard is located, but it doesn't give you the exact location so you still have to find it yourself (you can also google the sky shard locations if you want to know exactly where to find them). If you take a look, it might save you some time or needlessly looking in places where no more sky shards exist. Good luck!

• RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I had some friends but the other day when I went to look at my friends list there was nobody in it. I don't know what happened to them.

Thats a bug that happened with the IC patch, they won't appear until you are online at the same time they are or something like that. I guess they where like my PvP group and bailed after the patch...

I am in one guild that is very friendly and willing to help out with dungeons.if only I was a higher level I would love to help out with dungeons but I am only V3 if you teamed up with me either you wouldn't get anything from the enemies or I would get one shotted... at least in the end you get a free skill point per group dungeon.
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I die pretty quickly when fighting a boss at close range which is frustrating......... I've been working on leveling my woodworking and blacksmithing and enchanting skills but it's slow going as long as I'm no longer getting skill points.

Most of us have issues fighting Bosses at close range. I almost never get up close and in the grill of a boss unless I am being a tank*. The key to the game is to be Mobile, Agile and Hostile. Move around, and fire off attacks from strategic points, then move so the boss can't hit you, then repeat. Get in a rhythm like hit the boss twice then run to a new spot while the boss sets up to attack you where you were, then repeat. Sometimes a Dodge Roll is needed, I find if your a Sorcerer, Streak is great for this.

Also, you mentioned using dropped gear, a Crafted Set will go along way to making things easier for you. A Good Guild can help you out with that, most guildies will make something for free if you supply the mats (give them a tip anyway). Sounds like your on the console, otherwise I would help you out with that.

As for your crafting skills, just keep deconning things to level the skills and researching your traits. You will get skill points later. You may want to respec your skills as if your like me, you might have put points into something to try it, then stopped using it so you can now use those points for something else. But, if you have only been doing content for and not Group or Public Dungeons, you are missing out on about 30 skill points the rest of us would have. Also, it is not easy to make a single character a crafter in everything and have them be deadly. It's possible, just not easy. I have a VR15 with most every skill point you can get outside of PvP and she barely has enough points to do it all.

*Tanks are the characters that get up close, use Heavy Armor and draw aggro on the boss so the DPS's can wail on the boss from a distance, and the Healer keeps everyone alive.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "tackle the endgame content"?

"Group only dungeons" suck; even if I'm sure they are great... :D

Definition of "end-game" content may vary from one player to another but for me, it is as follows :

- "Leveling" content (typically the 15 zones of the base game without the 4-man-instances, the main quest and the two guilds' quests) is content that anyone can do even if we play terribly, have bad gear and don't care about our character's stats, and if we use a skill because it's fun to use, even if it's not efficient. One way or the other, we can do all this content. Actually it might be even more fun to play "badly" or with silly skill combinations, because it can become boringly easy if we play well.

- "Endgame" content (typically, 4-man-dungeons, especially in veteran version, Craglorn, PvP, Imperial City,12-man-raids and Dragonstar Arena) is content that you cannot complete without having understood the basic mechanics of combat, studied your build, skills and gear, chosen an efficient skill combination and practiced a rotation, all of this according to a particular role (Tank, DPS, Healer, PvP).

And I understand your point of view, that "group-only dungeons" suck... I used to be a solo player like you ;-) I eventually changed my mind and I'm glad I did. However, you have plenty of time for that, the game is very solo-friendly and you can complete more than 3/4 of it on your own. By then you might be more ready to group up - or not, to each his own ;-)

• FixedBlade123
    FixedBlade123
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I die pretty quickly when fighting a boss at close range which is frustrating......... I've been working on leveling my woodworking and blacksmithing and enchanting skills but it's slow going as long as I'm no longer getting skill points.

Most of us have issues fighting Bosses at close range. I almost never get up close and in the grill of a boss unless I am being a tank*. The key to the game is to be Mobile, Agile and Hostile. Move around, and fire off attacks from strategic points, then move so the boss can't hit you, then repeat. Get in a rhythm like hit the boss twice then run to a new spot while the boss sets up to attack you where you were, then repeat. Sometimes a Dodge Roll is needed, I find if your a Sorcerer, Streak is great for this.

Also, you mentioned using dropped gear, a Crafted Set will go along way to making things easier for you. A Good Guild can help you out with that, most guildies will make something for free if you supply the mats (give them a tip anyway). Sounds like your on the console, otherwise I would help you out with that.

As for your crafting skills, just keep deconning things to level the skills and researching your traits. You will get skill points later. You may want to respec your skills as if your like me, you might have put points into something to try it, then stopped using it so you can now use those points for something else. But, if you have only been doing content for and not Group or Public Dungeons, you are missing out on about 30 skill points the rest of us would have. Also, it is not easy to make a single character a crafter in everything and have them be deadly. It's possible, just not easy. I have a VR15 with most every skill point you can get outside of PvP and she barely has enough points to do it all.

*Tanks are the characters that get up close, use Heavy Armor and draw aggro on the boss so the DPS's can wail on the boss from a distance, and the Healer keeps everyone alive.

Great post. I have learned to avoid the "red streak" that an enemy creates just before attacking. I can avoid the straight line kind but have trouble avoiding the red spots that some enemies throw at you (various wizards or that multi-armed snake-woman or a wisp mother). I still can't figure out how to do a dodge roll.

My blacksmithing has reached level 44 and my woodworking is 42. My enchanting is only in the low 30s.
  • FixedBlade123
    FixedBlade123
    ✭✭✭

Thats a bug that happened with the IC patch, they won't appear until you are online at the same time they are or something like that. I guess they where like my PvP group and bailed after the patch...

I am in one guild that is very friendly and willing to help out with dungeons.if only I was a higher level I would love to help out with dungeons but I am only V3 if you teamed up with me either you wouldn't get anything from the enemies or I would get one shotted... at least in the end you get a free skill point per group dungeon.

I'd be more than happy to team up with you. I'm in Mountain Time and start playing around 5:00 PM every day after work. I usually sign off around 9:00 PM because I get up at 4:00 AM every morning.
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be more than happy to team up with you. I'm in Mountain Time and start playing around 5:00 PM every day after work. I usually sign off around 9:00 PM because I get up at 4:00 AM every morning.

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, what system are you on? mine is PS4.
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • FixedBlade123
    FixedBlade123
    ✭✭✭

Xbox One for me. I guess that means we can't team up?
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

sorry, every consoles servers are completely separated so we can't team up. hope someone can help you
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

• FixedBlade123
    FixedBlade123
    ✭✭✭

sorry, every consoles servers are completely separated so we can't team up. hope someone can help you

No prob. Let me know when you get a good system. Haha. Just kidding. Thanks for trying.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I wasn't suggesting the OP start a guild...I was responding to a suggestion by a previous poster that he create a group for a dungeon and then look to fill it on the Players Helping Players section of the forums (i.e., the "Looking for Group for Banished Cells" type threads we get here). I was actually suggesting that he follow Nestor's advice and join an already established guild, because the LFG threads never seem to work out well here. But I also included some info on how best to create a LFG thread, if he decided to go with the previous poster's suggestion. Sorry if that was confusing :(

I definitely wouldn't recommend someone new to MMOs start a guild without being in several first. Guild leadership is hard and is best done after serving as an officer under a successful leader.
    Ahhhh sorry I misunderstood you then. ^^

• FixedBlade123
    FixedBlade123
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the late response to so many great comments and advice. I'm currently Level 50 with 310 champion points. I'm still primarily playing alone. I did try a couple of good guilds but wasn't really good enough to be of any value to the members so I dropped out. I simply SUCK at PvP and can't seem to get any better. For some reason, I get more anxious and panicky when playing PvP which leads to stupid decisions on my part. Then I lose the fight (99% of the time) and stop trying. As a result, I avoid Cyrodiil like the red plague. So I'm back to lone playing (although I'm still open to joining a guild as long as they don't mind having a mediocre, 56-year-old truck driver as a team member). Anyway, I'm off to find the "Sailor's Pipe" ... alone. LOL

FixedBlade123

P.S. If anyone challenges me to a duel I will turn you down. No sense in making a fool of myself. :(