Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Best Way To Get Your Smithing Up?

Ah_Rahgol
Ah_Rahgol
Do I just continue to collect ore and then craft stuff, deconstruct it, and build again? Will that get my skill up enough or will that take to long?
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No!

Dont decon items you make yourself.

You get tons more xp from deconning other peoples items.

Get a buddy make items and trade to decon. Daggers for blacksmithing use the least raws.

Steal and decon works too. But its slower and well illegal.
    Edited by myrrrorb14_ESO on September 21, 2015 7:05PM
  • OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭
    Decon everything (not your own stuff). Crafting items will only net small amounts of inspiration. Quest/Grind > Loot > Decon
    Rogue's Gallery (EP)(NA)(XB1)

Proud Member and Officer
    We’re recruiting for our ESO (Xbox One) Chapter
    ESO Application: Apply Here
    Homepage: http://www.roguesgalleryguild.com/
    TF Guild Page: http://tamrielfoundry.com/groups/rogues-gallery/
    Character List
    "Varyn Wryn" cp427 Nord Templar (Magicka DPS/Healer)
    "Maelis Artorius" cp427 Redguard Dragonknight (Stamina DPS)
    "Arius the Shade" cp427 Khajiit Nightblade (Stamina DPS)
    "Astalor Bloodsworn" Level 7 Altmer Sorcerer (Magicka DPS)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The friction of having a friend make stuff and you decon it works against you. I also have not tested to see if there is any real difference between items crafted by another player or mob loot. For example, with Enchanting, it is slightly better to decon mob looted Glyphs than player made ones.

What is this friction? Well, you can only email or trade 6 items at a time, so that is pain. Then, one of you is going to use up mats in the process as you are not going to get back anywhere near what you put in.

Much better to go grind mobs and decon the loot. You get the loot, you get mats back for free, you get experience, you level skills, you get gold, you get a chance to obtain some dropped set items, win win win.

Also, deconning higher level items gives more Inspiration. And, you don't need to level your Blacksmithing too far past your character levels. So, unless your making stuff for others, deconning as you go along will level the skill to keep pace with your character as they level.
    Edited by Nestor on September 21, 2015 9:54PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1.) Go to Elden Root in Grahtwood.

2.) Steal everything that you can find in the first level, as well as in the Fighter's Guild/Mage's Guild.

3.) Deconstruct everything that you've stolen.

4.) Log out/Log in. (this refreshes everything that you've stolen)

5.) Rinse and repeat as needed.

*Deconstructing stolen items provides more inspiration than deconstructing items that you or someone else crafted.
    Edited by CGPsaint on September 21, 2015 11:18PM
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • timparr
    timparr
    Soul Shriven
    Note that while you don't get inspiration from items you make yourself, you do from items your alts make - as if they were another player.

I have two alts that both do enchanting and so I make sure that the glyphs one creates are deconstructed by the other.
    Edited by timparr on September 22, 2015 1:49PM
  • Conquers
    Conquers
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go to Bankgorai

Go behind Alchemy Shop

Steal Everything,

deconstruct

build a ton of Greatswords

sell them for extra cash

absolutely no risk to stealing, because there is 1 mob and its hostile, no guards go back there
    VR 16 Orc Stamina Dragonknight

We need a loot currency system in this game!
    forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/230549/currency-system-for-dungeons#latest
  • Psych32
    Psych32
    CGPsaint wrote: »

2.) Steal everything that you can find in the first level, as well as in the Fighter's Guild/Mage's Guild.

*Deconstructing stolen items provides more inspiration than deconstructing items that you or someone else crafted.

After the imperial update, you no longer get exp from stolen items
  • CadenceRowan
    CadenceRowan
    ✭✭✭
    How long is too long? I've been decon-ing/researching loot, and refining ore and that has worked well for me. However, I'm not in a rush, as I don't actually need blacksmithing, and I have not put any skill points into it, other than being able to research 2 items at a time.

If you are working on it as you level, and putting skill points into it, crafting writs may help a bit as well. With the actual trades that I use, I had no problem leveling them along with my character.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Psych32 wrote: »

Yeah, I've been reading about this. That's a shame because as it stands, leveling Blacksmithing and Clothiering is just downright tedious.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • EddieHavok
    I find that with the woodworking and clothier, I never dedicated any time or effort into leveling these however they gradually got up to about 30 so far (I'm V2). Whenever I make a loot run, I try to focus more on BS than the other two, but I will still get and breakdown gear from those crafts as well. My BS is at 40 now, which I think is far lower than it should be considering I consciously tried to level this more than the others. But for the other two to have leveled so effortlessly makes me think that there is something off balance with the leveling mechanisms in place. I feel like BS is about right because the passives that unlock at those levels are in line with my main level. IDK.
    LFG/PS4/NA/EP/SorcV4
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And if you don't want to spend ages stealing things etc, one other option is going to guild traders, filtering armour and weapons by intricate trait and buy lots. Especially if they are above your level. Deconstruct them all and your blacksmithing will fly up.
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • CromulentForumID
    CromulentForumID
    ✭✭✭✭

Is this really true? I was stealing a bunch of stuff and I noticed my bar moving as I deconstructed it. Or am I making a mistake between XP and inspiration?

I know I was abusing the hell out of Velyn Harbor and I got 2 levels on blacksmithing at least.
  • S_Schofield
    S_Schofield
    Soul Shriven
    CGPsaint wrote: »

You DO get xp/Inspiration towards your crafting, Eg

After reading what others have posted I thought id try the town of Evermore/Bangkorai and found that if you go behind the enchanter store "The Mystic Mortar" there are about 35 blacksmiths items to steal (NO RISK AT ALL) I did it 3 times in 12 Min(log off and on) and ended up with the following stats. make sure you check all crates/barrels and bags for loot

Blacksmith XP gained 42,723
    Gold from selling created Ingots $1092.00
    Gold from Loot Found $300.00

So in all not a bad 12 min's worth just for info my toon is a VR9
    Edited by S_Schofield on September 24, 2015 2:21AM