Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Killing citizens

Furrik
Furrik
I've heard that you can kill any non-essencial town citizen at any time, but I can kill them only when they attack me first (for example, when I fail to pickpocket them). I can't use my weapons when aiming at the NPCs. Am I doing something wrong or I can really only defend myself when attacked?
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Check your settings...There is an option that turns off the ability to kill citizens. It is for people who don't want to accidentally murder innocent people by pressing the wrong key when running around a town.
  • Mandrel8
    Mandrel8
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you want to kill NPCs?
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Mandrel8 wrote: »
    Why would you want to kill NPCs?

Role-Playing reasons (e.g. your character isn't a nice person).

There are achievements for killing X number of NPCs.

They have really annoying dialogue that you've heard too many times (too bad most of these NPCs aren't able to be killed).

P.S. The NPCs do not stay dead, they respawn after a certain period of time.

• thunderwell
    thunderwell
    ✭✭✭
    Come to the cloud district often? Oh, what am I saying, of course you don't.
    NA, PC Megaserver
    Zhaani, Female Khajiit, Nightblade, AD (current main)
    (Unless otherwise put in my sig, all characters are below level 50)
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    Come to the cloud district often? Oh, what am I saying, of course you don't.

Lol. Yeah, Nazeem dies on general principle. So does every bard who dares sing "Ragnar the Red" within my presence.
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • Furrik
    Furrik
    Hah, I've never noticed there's an option for that! Thanks for the help. Now I got 15k bounty on my head! :D
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »

Is this a bad thing? There's a limited number of NPCs you are able to kill. If they perma-died there'd be none left for the rest of us
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

Is this a bad thing? There's a limited number of NPCs you are able to kill. If they perma-died there'd be none left for the rest of us

No, of course it isn't a bad thing...I was responding to the person above who asked why anyone would want to kill NPCs. He/she didn't really seem to understand the mechanic, and I just didn't want him/her to think that it was a permanent action.

• Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, of course it isn't a bad thing...I was responding to the person above who asked why anyone would want to kill NPCs. He/she didn't really seem to understand the mechanic, and I just didn't want him/her to think that it was a permanent action.
    lol my bad, I thought you were stating it as a negative thing sorry xD