The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So... Paid race changes and name changes?

• AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cathexis wrote: »
    That said I'm not against some sort of creative changes to the way races function. I have read on the forums interesting ideas about how to redistribute racials such that you have a maximum number of points you can put in among a larger pool of racial options. So there is that idea to consider.

Only if they remove absolutely everything that has to do with Elder Scrolls lore from the game first.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AngryNord wrote: »
    That said I'm not against some sort of creative changes to the way races function. I have read on the forums interesting ideas about how to redistribute racials such that you have a maximum number of points you can put in among a larger pool of racial options. So there is that idea to consider.

Only if they remove absolutely everything that has to do with Elder Scrolls lore from the game first.

I don't know man if you go back and actually play the other games, they have vastly changed the skill mechanics.

For instance you no longer purchase skills outright or in a book form, where you hit a player is no longer of consequence, classes that solidify distinct archetypes rather than a character molded on the basis of the skills they use, legerdemain instead of thieves guild, no dark brotherhood.

A lot has changed already, its hardly the ES we used to know.
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If You throw in sex change, then you have to also allow name change.
  • Dissentinel
    Dissentinel
    ✭✭✭
    Changing appearance can function similarly to how Guild Heraldry does. A player can change their appearance in a menu for free, but to save changes, they must pay crowns for each slider changed in the menu. And, should the player change their name or race, it will invoke a further cost of however many crowns is deemed appropiate.
  • LearnThis
    LearnThis
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing I want is to be able to change the race since when I chose my race, its passives combined with the class skills were great for the way I wanted to play. Now, since so many changes have happened, it does not play the way I want it to. So I want to choose a race that benefits my play style the way it was intended to. I had just sent an email two days ago to ZOS and I got the response that they cannot do racial changes. Not to be rude, but I knew that was not accurate. As was stated earlier, they are working on it. For how long and when will it be released is a big unknown. I am glad to read they are actually going to make it happen. I just hope it happens before I am able to create a new character and level it to V16.
    PSN: LearnThis
    Bosmer Nightblade (Master Crafting, everything researched)
    Dunmer Dragonknight
    Breton Nightblade
    Breton Mage
    Argonian Templar
    Norn Dragonknight
    High Elf Dragonknight

Champion Points are capped

~I have completed Cadwell's Silver six times and Gold four times... Please do not tell me about the experience of leveling.~
  • Angzt
    Angzt
    ✭✭✭
    A system of paid (crowns) changes to characters could be subdivided like this imho:

- 'Change your character's name': This sevice should only provide the option to revise a char's name for a moderate amount of crowns (e.g. 1500 crowns).

- 'Change your character's faction': This service should only provide the option to change the factional affiliation of a char as well for a moderate amount of crowns (e.g. 2000 crowns).

- 'Change your character's appearance': This service should only provide the option to completely change the shape of a character without any changes to its racial or factional belonging for a decent amount of crowns (e.g. 2500 crowns).

- 'Overall change your character': This service should provide full reshaping and configuration of a char, including changes to the name and factional affiliation - like starting from scratch without loosing progress (level and most achievements or items). For this service an appropriate amount of crowns can be charged (e.g. 4500 crowns).

The services could be provided via scrolls available in the store that once clicked on would offer a screen where all the acquired changing options can be applied. Further, I strongly suggest to be granted a certain amount of time to walk around an (instanced) part of the world with different environmental parameters to check the changes made, before they become permanently fixed. This would be suitable as well as fair, since the creation screen doesn't really give you a good impression of how the char will look like in the game world in different situations.

Concerning the fees (amount of crowns) for the services, I also suggest to make them appropriate but not overdo them, because certainly enough players will make use of them.

I hope these services are going to come rather soon. Always having to walk around with char you don't like anymore, harms the amount of experiencable fun in the game to a tremendous extent.

PS: The barber shop should be additional to those services, giving the option to change everyday things, like hair style and color or makeup, tattoos and jewelry etc.. Therefor only gold should be charged.
    Edited by Angzt on October 8, 2015 1:34PM
  • Aoife32001
    Aoife32001
    ✭✭✭✭
    Price doesn't have to be low either I'd probably shell out about 50$ for this (its not like I'm going to do this all the time).

I definitely sympathize with your desire, but I and I imagine a lot of other players are not going to be willing to pay $50 simply for character re-customization. Perhaps race/class change, but not for an appearance editor. I can go from a muscle-bound 8'5" purple alien with gills and horns to a 5'5" petite woman with Star Trek Online's in-game character editor for a tiny in-game currency transaction, and STO is a game that shamelessly panders for money. I surely am not going to pay $50 to slightly tweak my character's facial structure.

Tthis in-game editor is something I have been wanting since launch and is sorely lacking for a contemporary MMO. It is getting rather tiring hearing that it is "planned" but there is "no timeline" yet. Kind of like spellcrafting... At this point, I don't care how they implement it (Scroll, in-game shop, login, etc.), as long as it is actually implemented and I don't have to set aside several hours of employment time just to pay for it. I will say, though, that the appearance editor should be separate from the race/class editor if the latter becomes an option.
    Edited by Aoife32001 on October 8, 2015 2:42PM
  • LearnThis
    LearnThis
    ✭✭✭
    @Angzt I like the ideas you came up with. The only specific change I would personally want is having racial changes. Just like the lighting being poor in the creation screen then walking around and not looking the same as you thought, creating a character with what was provided on the creation screen then having that changed by a patch is VERY much taking away from the fun and enjoyment of the game.
    Dunmer Dragonknight
    Breton Nightblade
    Breton Mage
    Argonian Templar
    Norn Dragonknight
    High Elf Dragonknight

~I have completed Cadwell's Silver six times and Gold four times... Please do not tell me about the experience of leveling.~
  • Aquanova
    Aquanova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole system is still very much in the development phase, so your suggestions, ideas, and comments are noted and appreciated. :) Please continue to let us know what you'd like to see in this system!

Well since we're going to the extreme of race reassignment(which I'm a proponent of btw), we may as well get faction reassignment as well. This could alleviate population imbalances. We won't know unless we try it.
    Edited by Aquanova on October 8, 2015 2:33PM
    NA/PC
  • Xjcon
    Xjcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GTech_1 wrote: »
    Price doesn't have to be low either I'd probably shell out about 50$ for this (its not like I'm going to do this all the time).
    Kwivur wrote: »
    This is needed. I'd pay $50 for this too.

I certainly hope you two are kidding ... $50 for this feature would be absolutely appalling.

Go level up a character from 1 to V16 along with alliance ranks and achievements and tell me 50$ is not within reason. I personally couldn't wait that long (wanted this back in march) so I leveled up another race that fit my playstyle better.
    Briza Do'urdenx V16 Dunmer DK
    Jcon V16 Orc DK
    Vierna Do'urdenx V16 Bosmer NB
    Jarlaxle Baenrex V16 Dunmer NB
  • Aoife32001
    Aoife32001
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xjcon wrote: »

I certainly hope you two are kidding ... $50 for this feature would be absolutely appalling.

Go level up a character from 1 to V16 along with alliance ranks and achievements and tell me 50$ is not within reason. I personally couldn't wait that long (wanted this back in march) so I leveled up another race that fit my playstyle better.

If my only two options are lvling up a new V16 or shelling out $50, I'll either suck it up and stick with my current character or quit playing.

As an aside, consider the irony: "Pay us $50 to edit your character or we're going to make you play our game again!"
    Edited by Aoife32001 on October 8, 2015 3:34PM
  • Xjcon
    Xjcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aoife32001 wrote: »

If my only two options are lvling up a new V16 or shelling out $50, I'll either suck it up and stick with my current character or quit playing.

As an aside, consider the irony: "Pay us $50 to edit your character or we're going to make you play our game again!"

Well. Your ONLY option right now is to level up another character. So yea. Here is the thing tho, some people have lots of time, others have lots of money. The argument for those with lots of time is that they don't want those with lots of money to bypass them. Dumping money in to a game is the last thing I want to do, but there is a point where the term "Time is money" is exactly why some people want this option.
    Briza Do'urdenx V16 Dunmer DK
    Jcon V16 Orc DK
    Vierna Do'urdenx V16 Bosmer NB
    Jarlaxle Baenrex V16 Dunmer NB
  • Waseem
    Waseem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well i would like to change my character's face- eyes etc beside hair ....
    PC EU

• LearnThis
    LearnThis
    ✭✭✭
    To me, $50 is an unrealistic amount to request a race change especially if they turn around the next month and make another performance "balance/unbalance" and you now want to change it again. As far as the "time is money" statement, you are exactly right. I have two maxed characters and two more veteran rank 2 characters. I play this game way too much for a full time job and family, but there is no way I want to have to keep leveling different races of a nightblade or dragonknight or anything else because ZOS makes racial changes that effects the way I play. So, I will pay what they ask, but there is a number that I am willing to pay and a number greater than that I would grudgingly pay.

The other thought I have had with this whole thing too is, buy a racial change season pass or scroll. Let me explain, you buy the pass and it allows you a one time change, however, the next time a patch changes your racial passives, you can choose to change again or stay. My thought with this is that if your racial passives that you chose because you liked what they did are changed, then you have an option to change too. You did not choose the new changes so why do you have to stick to that race? Yes, I can understand this bringing up the whole "flavor of the month" thing, but that is only happening because ZOS would be (trying to) balancing things. If they are balanced then it should be okay changing.
    Edited by LearnThis on October 8, 2015 4:45PM
    Dunmer Dragonknight
    Breton Nightblade
    Breton Mage
    Argonian Templar
    Norn Dragonknight
    High Elf Dragonknight

• TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to change my characters name and fix his forehead ridges, I want a cool one word name.
  • Zavus
    Zavus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still in development phase? At this rate I can't see it coming out till the end of next year.
    Zavus - Worst NB NA / First NB RANK 50
    "Most carried General NA" - Cent Satori

Haxus

• themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zavus wrote: »
    Still in development phase? At this rate I can't see it coming out till the end of next year.

Thats pretty generously said. judgeing by how fast they are working on "re-introducing" forward camps id be suprised if this ever makes it into the game. Atleast not whilst anyone is still playing it that is.
    :]
  • LearnThis
    LearnThis
    ✭✭✭

Thats pretty generously said. judgeing by how fast they are working on "re-introducing" forward camps id be suprised if this ever makes it into the game. Atleast not whilst anyone is still playing it that is.

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom So, here is an opinion of what one and probably more think about this. Could you please prove this person and anyone else that feels this way wrong. I am sure they along with everyone else would be happy for this to be proved wrong.
    Dunmer Dragonknight
    Breton Nightblade
    Breton Mage
    Argonian Templar
    Norn Dragonknight
    High Elf Dragonknight

• themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LearnThis wrote: »

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom So, here is an opinion of what one and probably more think about this. Could you please prove this person and anyone else that feels this way wrong. I am sure they along with everyone else would be happy for this to be proved wrong.

I'd love to be proven wrong in this. Trust me i really do. But after spending 18 months in PvP im used to not geting responses and so far we haven't really been proven wrong.
    :]
  • Gravord
    Gravord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole system is still very much in the development phase, so your suggestions, ideas, and comments are noted and appreciated. :) Please continue to let us know what you'd like to see in this system!

Class change. Expensive ofc.
  • LearnThis
    LearnThis
    ✭✭✭
    @johan.danielsson1994b16_ESO I keep hearing a lot from people about the pvp, and I agree. I thought this DLC was a pvp DLC but it has very little pvp. Mostly, it is pve in everyone's own buff server. :( Not very pvp unfortunately. Someone just said last night they were going to go pvp. The next guy said "really? where?" The next sentence was about how he was going to grind for materials in IC. Well, right away the guy that was excited changed his tone and said "no thanks."

I have been waiting for an mmo for playstation for a very long time. I used to play MMOs on PC but I liked playing on the console better. I was very excited and still am for this game being on PS4. I really want it to be successful. So, I keep hoping for the best.
    Edited by LearnThis on October 8, 2015 10:08PM
    Dunmer Dragonknight
    Breton Nightblade
    Breton Mage
    Argonian Templar
    Norn Dragonknight
    High Elf Dragonknight

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the simplest way to introduce and handle this would be to allow such edits prior to entering the world but while at the character selection screen.

Some simple indicator to allow X number of edits in X amounts of day like the character delete limit.
    Options should allow for free, any changes outside of the first screen
    -Race, Gender, class, faction should possibly be done differently
    All others should be free but limited in how often we can make changes

There definitely should be options to change race, gender, voice, name and even factions if possible (in game gold, motif-like scroll, and crown store options should exist)
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 8, 2015 10:59PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Gravord
    Gravord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And ofc more paintings colors for orcs (red especially).
  • Miwerton
    Miwerton
    ✭✭✭
    Is the gonna be a change for just racial passives and abilities, since that is my main concern. Dont have to much of a problem with the current looks of my characthers, then again they have grown on me.
  • Aoife32001
    Aoife32001
    ✭✭✭✭

I would think it best to separate the "barber shop" from any class/race (and sex) change option, considering (IF this is going to be a crown store option) it would likely to be best to make major changes difficult to discourage imbalance and leave a plausible level of in-world explainability.

Xjcon also brought up a good point:
    Here is the thing tho, some people have lots of time, others have lots of money. The argument for those with lots of time is that they don't want those with lots of money to bypass them. Dumping money in to a game is the last thing I want to do, but there is a point where the term "Time is money" is exactly why some people want this option.

Ideally, I would like to see both a quick-but-reasonably-expensive crown store option and a time-intensive, quest-related option to re-customize your character or even change class.

Regarding appearance re-customization, I would like to see full re-customization, and not just hair/paint/etc. The extent of it though should depend on if there is an attempt to work it into the story or just leave such changes unexplained. If there are attempts to explain the changes within the story, sex and race changes should not be permitted. Sex/race changes should be part of a crown store class/race/sex package (thus also discouraging race/class jumping for fotm). I would like to see this appearance change option relatively cheap if it has to be a crown store item, as I know I personally continually tweak my characters' appearance until I get it just right. If major changes are worked into the storyline, I would like to see it as part of some sort of Aedric/Daedric questline. I personally would be fine with appearance re-customization as either part of the game or done at log-in and left unexplained.

Regarding changes others can make that impact everyone's gameplay experience, like class/race changes, I think Zenimax has to proceed carefully and approach it as a separate issue from appearance re-customization. Whatever Zenimax ends up doing, it will have to be careful in order to prevent huge imbalance due to jumping ship with every fotm change.

I wounder if rather than implementing a class-change option, Zenimax could do something similar as was done in Lineage 2 by NcSoft. Once a character reached max level, it could do a lengthy quest that allowed it to add a second class within its racial class options. If I was an archer, once I hit max level, I could do a quest where I would start over from level 20 or so as a temple knight. I would then level the same character back up as a temple knight. The same character would thus have two class options, but only one could be played at any given time. Granted, the way leveling works in ESO, this might not work as well as it did in Linage 2, but just thought I'd throw it out there.
    Edited by Aoife32001 on October 9, 2015 2:28PM
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, could we please get certain cosmetic changes locked down to achievements? Like a cool tatoo, scar, a certain hair dye, hair style, etc. Are only available if you complete certain challenges?

This gives us something to brag about and would help ZOS help sell these barbershops. I'm sure others here can suggest some unique changes
    Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
  • Murmeltier
    Murmeltier
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there are enough Examples what Players like in other Games, so there you can find nice Ideas too. But they should implement the Race Change fast, many Players wants this and would pay for this. And we are waited really Long enough for this Feature.
    Edited by Murmeltier on October 10, 2015 9:38AM
  • Aoife32001
    Aoife32001
    ✭✭✭✭
    Murmeltier wrote: »
    I think there are enough Examples what Players like in other Games, so there you can find nice Ideas too. But they should implement the Race Change fast, many Players wants this and would pay for this. And we are waited really Long enough for this Feature.

+1

This and the most-likely-never-to-appear spell-crafting have been the two features I have been waiting for the longest
  • LameoveR
    LameoveR
    ✭✭✭✭
    You guys would pay even for bugfixes, if it would be implemented in Crown Store. :D
  • Nikkor
    Nikkor
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to sound impatient. It's not my style with games and features. But this feature needs to become a number one priority yesterday. Delay rosin I a month and get this feature to us nov 18th. Put orsiniumnout December 18th.

Thank you