Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PS4 - NA - Champion Points help

Pyro117
Pyro117
✭✭
I have a VR2 toon on the PS4 NA Server. I have been slowly gaining champion points (I have 16 points now). I know how to apply them however, I am confused by what does what in the three areas -> Warrior, Thief, Mage.

As an example, the Warrior -> The Steed -> Medium Armor focus. The description says "Increases your Armor by x% when a medium armor set of 5 or more pieces is equipped". On this character (level 45), I have 6 medium armor pieces and 1 heavy piece. I also looked at my spell and physical resistances before putting any points into this "focus". I was at 7015 for both spell and physical. I added 6 points to this focus and my spell stayed the same but physical went up to about 7205.

Why didn't the spell resistance also go up?

Is there any web-sites that properly explains what each focus will do? There are others that somewhat confuse me on exactly what they are doing and how to validate they do anything.

If there are no sites out there that really explain this -> can you tell me what you guys use? I have both a stamina based DPS and a sorcerer based DPS so I need to understand the best champion point focuses for each.

Lastly, is there a difference in what you would want if you were PvE or PvP focused?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me!
  • Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    Can anybody help me?
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pyro117

Well, firstly for a DPS Mage, I have a lot of points in:

Thief tree:

Arcanist - For Magic regeneration.

Magician - For decreased magic costs.

The Mage:

Apprentice - Elfborn - Spell crit

Ritual - Thurmaturge - for increased damage.

The Warrior:

Bastion - For Hardened Ward to absorb damage.

Those have been the most important ones to me.

http://esoacademy.com/champion-system/ - Here is a good explanation of the Champion System.

Good luck!
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Grotleren
    Grotleren
    ✭✭
  • Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    @Pyro117

Well, firstly for a DPS Mage, I have a lot of points in:

Thief tree:

Arcanist - For Magic regeneration.

Magician - For decreased magic costs.

The Mage:

Apprentice - Elfborn - Spell crit

Ritual - Thurmaturge - for increased damage.

The Warrior:

Bastion - For Hardened Ward to absorb damage.

Those have been the most important ones to me.

http://esoacademy.com/champion-system/ - Here is a good explanation of the Champion System.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information. I have previously read the article, but I was hoping for some insight into what each one actually does.

I don't understand why the "Medium armor focus" only increased the physical resistance but the tool tip say increases armor.

Have you read about the upcoming Sheild breaker armor set for PvP? based on what I am reading it will make your hardened shield a liability not a help.
  • Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    Grotleren wrote: »

Thank you for the reply. That kinda of helps me with my sorcerer but not my stamina NB.
  • Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    I found another site that had better descriptions of the skills in the champoin point grid. I really appreciate your help and I finally understand where better to place points.

And hey, if I royally screw it up. I can re-spec.
    Edited by Pyro117 on September 17, 2015 9:03PM
  • tactica
    tactica
    ✭✭✭
    @Pyro117

You may want to check out Deltia Gaming. It's not a perfect answer, but it is a source of info to give you some ideas. He goes over champion points in his builds to give you an idea of why he is putting points in different spots for different builds.

There is not 'perfect' answer to the questions you are asking above. However, you'll find that physical resistance and armor stats go hand and hand.

Spell resistance is not tied to armor at all. Spell resistance is a separate stat all together. You can achieve that a variety of ways and you'll notice on one of the focus categories in the champion system, there is a slot where you can dump points if you are looking to increase spell resistance.

You'll also learn there things like fire which have both elemental and magical properties in the game... especially if you ever try out vampirism... anyway, having magical, elemental, phsyical and damage over time defenses bolstered will help you with anything like FIRE which can come in various forms, can hit all at once or a DoT... and there are physical and magical fire types.

Another thing you are going to want to notice in the champion system are the PASSIVES that unlock when you put in 10, 30, etc, etc... There are various intervals where passive abilities in that focus that unlock for you after you have enough points vested in that constalation. Don't think all points in blue are cumulative... they are not. Each constallation is tallied separately in the 3 blue, green and red constallations. Read through the passive unlocks and see what works best for you...

You have the right idea - invest and experiment now... you can also respec later. You may find that testing and experimenting is your best bet now and then changing out your build and your points as you grow your character is a better fit later.

Once you have a200-300 champion points, then the strategy for how you invest them changes... just as how your build will change. Right now, you are leveling... so do whatever you need to in order to survive and do your job and level up quickly.... then plan your build and respec at the appropriate time.

Most importantly, learn and have fun along the way.

Cheers,
    NA, PS4, vr13-DE Maj DK, vr9-HE Maj Sorc, vr1-Kaj Stam NB
    Knowledge is Power
  • Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    @tactica - Thank you for the answer. I will check into his builds to see his thoughts on the Champion Points. Right now I am at 18 CP - getting up to 100 seems like an impossible task....

I now have 3 characters in VR 1-3 so as I play each one of them, I should start gaining CP points fairly quickly.
  • tactica
    tactica
    ✭✭✭
    @Pyro117

You're very welcome.

Since you have 3 toons at VR1-3, that means you spent something like 2-4 weeks per toon leveling in *non-champ point mode* already... just think, every hour you spend leveling up a new toon, is another hour spend NOT earning champ points... champ points now that you have 3 toons at VR are a force multiplier for your characters... they all receive the benefit of each point earned!

BTW I say 2-4 weeks, as I don't know your playstyle. If you are casual, informed and focused on leveling - just playing in evenings for a few hours, staying with known leveling plans and not really hardcore... then ~3 weeks per toon to hit VR1 is very reasonable if not conservative.

BTW2: Just in case you are not familiar - here is a reasonable approach to focused VR1 in 2-weeks on a console.

I have taken a NB (last patch 1.6) from 0-vr1 in 2 weeks of evenings plus some weekend play while doing vet dungeons with alts when time permitted with guild. It's very doable, if you know the do's and don'ts so to speak.
    - start new toon
    - keep one class skill from each line on bar at all times, keep weapon skill on bar, put Soul skill on bar
    - join mage, figher and undaunted guild
    - log caldwell questline start immediately in first zone
    - stick to A. main quest, B. fighters Guild, C. mage guild and D. caldwell quests ONLY for questing
    - See above, don't get distracted with side quests... (ever)
    - keep skyshard / lorebook map handy, pick them up along the way
    - Do all delves along the way
    - hit the group dungeons when you are ready
    - Don't fuss with switching armor and weapon like a mad man.. you wear what you find through 15...
    - You need armor crafted for you to blue level with appropriate Runes 3 times, that's really it... Lev 15, 30 and 45 and that lasts till VR1 (not kidding)... you are wasting mats and time otherwise (you don't even HAVE to do it that often if you know other tricks, but this will give you more than enough comfort zone)
    - Break down all other gear at the crafting tables, your break down will level crafting, bank 200 mats, sell the rest to a vendor don't bother with the guild store here - it slows you down.

*** Do that, and you have a <2 week plan to take a toon to VR1

Back to Champ Points
    Now think about how much time you have vested in those 3 toons and leveling them up to VR1-3? 2 weeks each, 3 weeks of evenings... more? I don't know how much you spent, but... you CAN gain 1-2 champion point levels a night relatively conservatively without EXP potions... that depends upon what you are doing and where you are doing it... your build, etc... but its very doable. You can definitely generate 1 a night without much effort at all. I do it all the time and I'm at or over 100 champ points now. I'm very casual, but regular PS4 player and did not come from PC. I only game on evenings and weekends and don't even play all hours.

Here' some fun math. Let's say you spent 3 weeks on each of the above toons you already have to get each one to VR1... even if you played those same toons for another 9 weeks, and only generated .5 / day to 2 points per day on average... and remember, can generate quite a bit more on weekends to help out the average... but point is... you have a lot to gain... here's some fun hypotheticals for you to consider (assuming you don't start yet another new character!!!!:

In 9 weeks, how many more champ points could you have?
    31.5 champ points = .5 champ points/day avg @ 7 days/week * 9 weeks
    63 = champ points = 1 champ points/day avg @ 7 days/week * 9 weeks
    94 champ points = 1.5 champ points/day avg @ 7 days/week * 9 weeks
    126 champ points = 2 champ points/day avg @ 7 days/week * 9 weeks
    157 champ points = 2.5 champ points/day avg @ 7days/week * 9 weeks

Happy Hunting!
    NA, PS4, vr13-DE Maj DK, vr9-HE Maj Sorc, vr1-Kaj Stam NB
    Knowledge is Power
  • Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    WOW, that is a lot of info - but it totally goes against my play style. I unfortunately do everything. Passing up a quest is not an easy thing for me to do. I have some OCD issues where I like to complete everything.

I am concentrating on leveling my VR characters doing quests/side quests/dungeons/etc... I generally play about 3 hours a night.

I know it is not the most efficient but for me it is the most fun. Thanks for the information though. If I get serious about PvP then I will set aside time to just grind out CP points. I am already trying to make sure that once I have been on one character long enough to lose the "increased CP point earning" then I switch to another one.