Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Total beginner, no idea what I'm doing

Sky_Song
Sky_Song
Soul Shriven
Hi everyone, I just started playing and this is my first ever MMORPG so I have pretty much zero idea as to all the aspects of that. Also, I have no idea what I'm doing in game.
My sister plays on PS4, but I'm on PC and since we don't live in the same house getting together so she can help me out is not really an option.

I'm a level 11 Dragon Knight , I'm primarily using a two-handed weapon. I have the Imperial version of the game.

I want to join a guild but I'm worried about being booted for inactivity since I have some medical issues that make it hard for me to know how I'm going to feel day to day as far as playing.

I'm loving the game thus far, and I'm completely addicted, but it's difficult when I don't know what I need to keep in my inventory, sell, bank, craft etc...

Right now my inventory and bank are full, and I'm lost as to what I should keep or sell.

Basically I need some advice on how to decide what to do with items and such.

Also on what skills I should pay more attention to. Right now I'm just winging it.

Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have no friends in the game, so I'd welcome some. Brenna Sky is my characters name. Is there other info. you need to find me? See I have no clue!

Thanks in advance,
Samantha Sky_Song
"We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? "- 11th Doctor, Matt Smith, Doctor Who

PC NA> Main is: AD, She-Who-Beads, Khajit, NB-currently VR12
  • likelolwhat
    likelolwhat
    ✭✭✭✭
    PC, you say? Are you on the NA or EU server?
    Forever looking for that one avatar that no one else has...

The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - the definitive source for Elder Scrolls info. Proud founding member of the official PC UESP guild, NA server.
  • Sky_Song
    Sky_Song
    Soul Shriven
    NA, sorry, should have mentioned that.
    "We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? "- 11th Doctor, Matt Smith, Doctor Who

• Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to this site and give them a shout. I'm sure they'd be a good guild fit for you.

http://www.eldermoot.com/

As much or as little activity as you want and almost always someone online.

Edit: After re reading, I might mention I think it is adult only. but they might still point you in the right direction if that is a problem.
    Edited by Casdha on September 1, 2015 5:04AM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Sky_Song
    Sky_Song
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks I'll check it out.

Also, I'm 31, so...I'm an adult.

Spacing out my typing like this helps me to read it. I know it can be annoying though.Sorry.

• Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sky_Song wrote: »
    Thanks I'll check it out.

Also, I'm 31, so...I'm an adult.

Spacing out my typing like this helps me to read it. I know it can be annoying though.Sorry.

Cool, I was just being cautious because you mentioned a sister on PS4,,, I blame it (my caution) on the forums the last few days lol Please forgive me :)

edit: forgot the help bit ;)
    To start out on storage, go to a bank. If you place your crafting materials (assuming you want to craft stuff) in there you can use them at anytime you try to craft without going to the bank to get them, that should free up some space in between trips to the bank or a vendor, Matts in bank, other stuff in personal bag space.

Be sure to search the forums here for questions or visit the appropriate section on the main forum page. I'm sure someone has asked a question before. If not don't be afraid to ask.

Edited by Casdha on September 1, 2015 6:34AM

• AlmightyGoldfish
    Hey @Sky_Song

We'd be happy to help you if you are still looking. Unfortunately I am still waiting for my patch to download, but if you are later on tonight I don't mind helping you with a run through.

Its a small but very active guild and I can assure you off the laughs you'll have either on TS/Guild chat!

Just message me if interested,

AlmightyGoldfish
    FYI with gaming you meet a lot of different people
    Today you have met the best saltiest person there can be.
    You just met the WhaleSperm
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry just reread your post, that was over simplifying things.

The simple answer, at early levels there isn't really anything worth holding onto other than stuff to craft the stuff you use. If you just can't part with it and don't want to use it, that is what you put into the bank until you can afford more space.

Some early level items like Bugloss, Colmbine and Mountain flowers are worthless to vendors but bring a pretty penny to players if you don't want to use them yourself. Get a stack and offer them up for sale in chat to make gold a little faster.

edit: the easiest way to find someone in game is with their account name. If you know their name you would put it in like "@username" without the quotes. The user name is the one you log in with,,,,Username, not your password. Believe it or not I saw someone do that on the forums once upon a time. Also, that is the game username, not necessarily the same as the forum username.

For instance, I don't put my username on the forums, Casdha is the sir name of all of my characters.
    Edited by Casdha on September 1, 2015 6:51AM

• AlmightyGoldfish
    Casdha wrote: »
    Sorry just reread your post, that was over simplifying things.

The simple answer, at early levels there isn't really anything worth holding onto other than stuff to craft the stuff you use. If you just can't part with it and don't want to use it, that is what you put into the bank until you can afford more space.

Some early level items like Bugloss, Colmbine and Mountain flowers are worthless to vendors but bring a pretty penny to players if you don't want to use them yourself. Get a stack and offer them up for sale in chat to make gold a little faster.

edit: the easiest way to find someone in game is with their account name. If you know their name you would put it in like "@username" without the quotes. The user name is the one you log in with,,,,Username, not your password. Believe it or not I saw someone do that on the forums once upon a time. Also, that is the game username, not necessarily the same as the forum username.

For instance, I don't put my username on the forums, Casdha is the sir name of all of my characters.

I'm totally different. AlmightyGoldfish is all my accounts names. other than twitter as it was already taken *shakes fist at person*

FYI with gaming you meet a lot of different people
    Today you have met the best saltiest person there can be.
    You just met the WhaleSperm
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm level 17 now and I'm fairly new as well and my biggest tips are these but you may already know some/all:
    1. Pick up all the quests you can find, this really helps with efficient levelling, skill points and easy cash (even the crafting quests)
    2. Once you get your Two-Handed to level 14, unlock the Uppercut.
    3. At level 15 you can quick-change weapons so level up some ranged weapon, either a Bow or Staff, as it's handy to have two.
    4. Unless you enjoy or have ample time; don't farm for maple, iron, jute or rawhide. Just go hidden and steal stuff from the vendors and dismantle.
    5. Stealing is also a valid means of getting cash from selling at the fugitive's thingy.
    6. Regarding holding gear, I was in the same position as you in that I didn't know what to dismantle. This is my process:
    - Is armour stat higher than what I'm wearing?
    - Yes: swap gear. Does my previous gear have a good trait that I haven't researched or selling/deconstruct perk? Yes: keep and research/sell/deconstruct. No: destroy if I'm out and about and need space but deconstruct if not.
    - No: is the difference marginal?
    - Yes: does this have better perks for my build? Yes: swap. No: same no as above.
    - No

Even if you don't think that you want to get in to crafting, you may change your mind later down the line and wish you'd researched all of those traits as the process is lengthy. I currently treat it as a conveyor belt and take no pride in my appearance - I will at a later stage as I like to look good.
    7. I'm not bothered about Provisioning so I don't hold any ingredients. If I need them for whatever reason I've just traded.
    8. I keep all weapon and armour trait gems as I figure when I get in to crafting end-game gear, it's good to have a good bank of these
    9. I don't hold any racial stones - other than for my learnt styles - as I can pick these up for 15G a piece when I eventually learn them.
    10. Buy a bag for 400G to increase inventory by 10 slots (Next one up is like 2kG). Buy bank space for another 10 slots. You can also train your horse to increase inventory size by 1 slot per 20 hours for 250G. (Or if you're feeling flush you can buy 10 slots from the Crown store for 1000Crowns ~= £6.
    11. I've been finding a lot of Glyphs which I've held as I only have like 8 different ones and they stack.
    12. Potions? Meh I'll be deleting these or blasting in PvP soon as they're fairly common, only last for ~30 seconds and I have no use for them as a friend gave me quite a lot of 2 hour food things to boost health.
    13. I convert all of my raw jute/iron/rawhide/maple in to the refined versions whenever I can. Then if I'm out and my inventory is full when wanting to collect something, I can delete the raw versions of whatever I have the lowest of (usually around 3-4).
    14. I keep all of my Runes - because as with Glyphs - there's not many variants so they take up little space and can be converted in to Glyphs.

That's it from me I think. I play Nightblade so unfortunately I have no idea on specific skills (other than Uppercut).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit:
    Also, apologies if:
    1. There's any typos as this forum is terrible through iPhone
    2. Anything here is wrong (factually or just poor advice) as I'll edit.
    Edited by Sunburnt_Penguin on September 1, 2015 8:47AM
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    Bank and bag space are going to need to be a priority. Try joining a trading guild so you can make the guild necessary to upgrade each. You can make good money selling crafting mats, provisioning ingredients, alchemy reagents, ame blue motifs. They're all easy to find.
    Edited by jackiemanuel on September 1, 2015 12:14PM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the best way to earn gold is questing, which you'd do anyway.

If you are going to craft, you are realistically going to need to pick one or two crafts at first; you won't have the storage space otherwise. I echo the comments on researching traits -- start early if you are going to do it! Crafting writs are another good way to level a craft and earn some gold, but be forewarned you may have to spend a good amount of time farming materials. There's no penalty for not turning in a writ until you have the ingredients, but no reward either.

If you join an active trading guild, you can list 30 items in their guild store, which frees up space for you and also earns some gold. I find recipes, runes and alchemy ingredients do well in the store. You may want to hoard any good drops you get (purple or gold items) for later on. It's tempting to sell them for the high prices they fetch, but as you progress gold will become less and less of an issue.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as the crafting goes, if you are new and don't have a crafter yet, start out learning what you like to use. Crafting can eat up a lot of skill points but you don't need to spend lots early on. Being able to craft your own gear will save you a ton of gold. If you don't like crafting, keep it to what you use.

Edit: Also Keen Eye passive for alchemy and Clothing can help finding these things in the wild much easier. But only the first one is really needed, the rest are used to see them from a distance. Wood, metal, and enchanting runes are pretty easy to see without it, but you may want to pick them up latter.
    Edited by Casdha on September 1, 2015 5:34PM

• Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    An extremely friendly and helpful guild: Lonewolf Help
  • Sky_Song
    Sky_Song
    Soul Shriven
    Okay, this is going to be a short and sweet reply, just to acknowledge that I've read all your responses but don't have the time right now to write a more complete reply, especially since I'm on my kindle and it's difficult to write more.

My account name is the same as for forums though Sky_Song.

Such a huge help so far though, still trying to figure out things, but way more informed than I was when I posted. Huge thanks for advice given and any yet to be received.

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elephant42 wrote: »
    I'll second this (also, hi Elephant!) - let me know if you want me to fire you an invite. We try to be very helpful and friendly to each other, and especially to new players. There's pretty much always at least a dozen guildies online, and usually more like 50ish. We're happy to help out with questions and helping run people through content they can't do solo (which is actually the primary purpose of the guild).
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Sky_Song
    Sky_Song
    Soul Shriven
    UrQuan wrote: »
    I'll second this (also, hi Elephant!) - let me know if you want me to fire you an invite. We try to be very helpful and friendly to each other, and especially to new players. There's pretty much always at least a dozen guildies online, and usually more like 50ish. We're happy to help out with questions and helping run people through content they can't do solo (which is actually the primary purpose of the guild).

LoneWolf sounds/looks good. Can you send me an invite/let me know how to join? @Sky_Song

-Samantha

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sky_Song wrote: »
    UrQuan wrote: »

LoneWolf sounds/looks good. Can you send me an invite/let me know how to join? @Sky_Song

-Samantha
    Invite sent!
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Avonna
    Avonna
    ✭✭✭
    welcome to the game and the community !!

when you first start out , the best advice i can give as many others have given me. is just explore , play with all the skills.

you will find out what works for you in time, and later on when you do get leveled and more skill points ( collect those skyshards!) you can tweek how YOU want to play... just dont go roll dodging all over the place...:)

have fun ... did you decide on a character?