The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

CHAT WINDOW ERROR SPAMMING

Lauranae
Lauranae
✭✭✭✭✭
Patch done. New folder Elder scroll online, no addons, and i get this error spamming

2015-08-31T15:03:15.687-05:00 |cff0000Lua Error: EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:730: operator # is not supported for # nil
stack traceback:
EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:730: in function 'SharedChatContainer:PerformLayout'
EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/PC/ChatSystem.lua:32: in function 'ChatContainer:PerformLayout'
EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:640: in function '(anonymous)'|r

Before the patch i had an addon creating multi windows, BUT before the patch, last evening, i removed every addon before logging off.

What can i do ?
My most recent characters
AD - Amareni NB
-
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Hey @Lauranae, did you completely remove your addons folder or did you just turn off your addons?

If you did remove your addons and are getting this error, could you please try running a repair on your game client?
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Lauranae, did you completely remove your addons folder or did you just turn off your addons?

If you did remove your addons and are getting this error, could you please try running a repair on your game client?

Hello :) i am trying to run a repair but i dont find any way to run a repair I FOUND THE REPAIR, DOING NOW

any way or hint please ?

(and i remove totally the addons folder first, then when i started to have this problem of chat spamming error, i deleted totally my elder scroll online folder (in Documents) and let the game start a new one, but even with that in logging in i had this problem.
    Edited by Lauranae on August 31, 2015 7:36PM
    AD - Amareni NB
    -
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Lauranae wrote: »
    Hello :) i am trying to run a repair but i dont find any way to run a repair

any way or hint please ?

(and i remove totally the addons folder first, then when i started to have this problem of chat spamming error, i deleted totally my elder scroll online folder (in Documents) and let the game start a new one, but even with that in logging in i had this problem.

Thank you for confirming!

To run a repair on your game client, please click on "GAME OPTIONS" (right above the news feed on the game patcher), then "Repair."
    Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello :) i am trying to run a repair but i dont find any way to run a repair

any way or hint please ?

Thank you for confirming!

To run a repair on your game client, please click on "GAME OPTIONS" (right above the news feed on the game patcher), then "Repair."

Repair did nothing

now i have more error spamming (still no addons and new folder eldor scroll in Documents)

2015-08-31T15:42:48.408-05:00 |cff0000Lua Error: EsoUI/Libraries/Utility/ZO_TabButtonGroup.lua:392: attempt to index a nil value
    stack traceback:
    EsoUI/Libraries/Utility/ZO_TabButtonGroup.lua:392: in function 'ZO_TabButton_Icon_Initialize'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/PC/ChatSystem.lua:13: in function 'ChatContainer:Initialize'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:298: in function 'SharedChatContainer:New'
    (tail call): ?
    EsoUI/Libraries/Utility/ZO_ObjectPool.lua:116: in function 'ZO_ObjectPool:AcquireObject'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:1720: in function 'SharedChatSystem:CreateChatContainer'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:1509: in function 'SharedChatSystem:LoadChatFromSettings'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/PC/ChatSystem.lua:112: in function 'ZO_ChatSystem:LoadChatFromSettings'|r
    2015-08-31T15:43:00.949-05:00 |cff0000Lua Error: EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:690: attempt to index a nil value
    stack traceback:
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:690: in function 'SharedChatContainer:MonitorForMouseExit'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:717: in function 'SharedChatContainer:FadeIn'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:661: in function 'SharedChatContainer:OnMouseEnter'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:2374: in function 'ZO_ChatSystem_OnMouseEnter'
    459568822378751606:3: in function '(main chunk)'|r
    2015-08-31T15:43:03.612-05:00 |cff0000Lua Error: EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:690: attempt to index a nil value
    stack traceback:
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:690: in function 'SharedChatContainer:MonitorForMouseExit'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:717: in function 'SharedChatContainer:FadeIn'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:661: in function 'SharedChatContainer:OnMouseEnter'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:2374: in function 'ZO_ChatSystem_OnMouseEnter'
    459568822378751606:3: in function '(main chunk)'|r
    2015-08-31T15:43:04.008-05:00 |cff0000Lua Error: EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:690: attempt to index a nil value
    stack traceback:
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:645: in function 'SharedChatContainer:OnResizeStart'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:2362: in function 'ZO_ChatSystem_OnResizeStart'
    13444857190939630092:3: in function '(main chunk)'|r
    2015-08-31T15:43:04.012-05:00 |cff0000Lua Error: EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:730: operator # is not supported for # nil
    stack traceback:
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:730: in function 'SharedChatContainer:PerformLayout'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/PC/ChatSystem.lua:32: in function 'ChatContainer:PerformLayout'
    EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:640: in function '(anonymous)'|r
    This last error was spammed each seconds until i logged off

So what solution now ? do i need a full re-install ?

What is strange though, is that i have on my window a ghost of a chat window addon that i can resize but not mouse over THOUGH THE ADDON is not installed anymore

AD - Amareni NB
    -
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Okay, could you please find your "Elder Scrolls Online" folder in your "Documents" folder and delete it? (Save your Screenshots folder beforehand if you want.) This will reset your game settings, but will be much quicker than a full reinstall (and may do the trick.)
    Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, could you please find your "Elder Scrolls Online" folder in your "Documents" folder and delete it? (Save your Screenshots folder beforehand if you want.) This will reset your game settings, but will be much quicker than a full reinstall (and may do the trick.)

i did that 3 times already (i mean i deleted this folder 3 times already and each time this ghost window reappears)

AD - Amareni NB
    -
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager

i did that 3 times already (i mean i deleted this folder 3 times already and each time this ghost window reappears)

You may need to uninstall and do a full reinstall then. :( It sounds like the addon caused a fairly severe issue if deleting your "Elder Scrolls Online" folder in "Documents" and a repair is not doing the trick.

Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You may need to uninstall and do a full reinstall then. :( It sounds like the addon caused a fairly severe issue if deleting your "Elder Scrolls Online" folder in "Documents" and a repair is not doing the trick.

Doing a full reinstall now, but i am worried as from ESOUI an addon author wrote :

AFAIK chat tabs, their names and settings, are saved on the server. So if you deleted the whole Docs/ESO folder, i.e. all add-ons and saved vars, and the client is still spitting errors, it's likely getting malformed data from the server. I don't want to jump conclusions, but I doubt reinstall will help.

I hope he is wrong, because beside re installing i dont see then what could help me to play again :(

AD - Amareni NB
    -
  • C3N50R3D
    C3N50R3D
    ✭✭✭
    Reinstall does not help. See http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info635-ChatMultiWindowforUpdate5.html#comments

and http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info233-ChatMultiWindow.html#comments

even trying CHAT_SYSTEM:DestroyContainer(CHAT_SYSTEM.containers[0]) from the client side does not work.

Something about the chat window settings is saved on the server. I have submitted a ticket.

• Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know hehe i am Anceane from ESOUI.

Tried everything, the only thing that can remove that window is to delete the character and start a n ew one but well i will not delete 3 v+ and 4 others crafters/characters.

I deleted a very little one that was level 14 and yes that does it but it does not transfer to the others that keeps the error.

So thats it, i guess i can say bye bye to ESO even when i dont want. I will let my sub run and then stop it. I dont see really what more i can do.

I wish the addon author would have alert us on this problem before we just discover it.
    AD - Amareni NB
    -
  • C3N50R3D
    C3N50R3D
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. Even making a simple add-on to destroy the phantom container isn't working. Somehow the extra container is still referenced but the pointer points to a nil value instead of the container. Too bad there isn't a reset chat containers library call. :smile:

function ChatMultiWindow.AddonLoaded(event, name)
    CHAT_SYSTEM:SetAllowMultipleContainers(true)
    CHAT_SYSTEM:DestroyContainer(CHAT_SYSTEM.containers[0])
    CHAT_SYSTEM:DestroyContainer(CHAT_SYSTEM.containers[1])
    CreateChatContainer()
    CreateChatContainerTab(0,"tabname0")
    CreateChatContainerTab(1,"tabname1")
    --CHAT_SYSTEM:SetAllowMultipleContainers(false)
    EVENT_MANAGER:UnregisterForEvent(ChatMultiWindow.name, EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED)
    end
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Support ticket done too, they asked me to exclude from antivirus the ESO folder then to run again the repair.

Done

But unfortunatly this did nothing.
    AD - Amareni NB
    -
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    @Lauranae - Please make sure you reply to your support ticket with that info. They'll keep troubleshooting with you.
    Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lauranae - Please make sure you reply to your support ticket with that info. They'll keep troubleshooting with you.

I just did :) i do really all my possible to find a solution but honestly i think the only solution would be to delete all and start again and this is not something i am willing to do :((

AD - Amareni NB
    -
  • EIGHTS
    EIGHTS
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same issue on Live and PTS before.
    forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/212234/how-can-i-fix-blank-chat-window#latest

Somebody help! :s
    I'm not native speaker in English. I hope that I don't make you misunderstand.
  • ZombieZig
    ZombieZig
    ✭✭✭
    Same Issue! This sucks, I have spent hours trying to figure this out and made ZERO progress.

This appears when i Log-in:

EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:690: attempt to index a nil value
    stack traceback:
    459568822378751606:3: in function '(main chunk)'

This appears when i mouseover the window:

EsoUI/Ingame/ChatSystem/SharedChatSystem.lua:690: attempt to index a nil value
    stack traceback:
    459568822378751606:3: in function '(main chunk)'

Its a blank resizable but not movable window with taper faded edges and a scroll bar on the right of it. It takes up approximately 15% of my screen in the top left. There is nothing displayed on this and when ever i do a mouse-over i get errors. Below is an attached screenshot.

**This makes me a little paranoid after reading other posters claiming this is server side but,... making a new character fixes the issue as it is no longer present.
    Edited by ZombieZig on September 1, 2015 3:51AM
  • EIGHTS
    EIGHTS
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found the way to solve the problem!

Download this AddOn
    esoui.com/downloads/info673-CirconiansChatIt.html#info

After login, do twice /reloadui or logout then login again.
    The blank window is disappeared.

Thanks to the AddOn author!

Edited by EIGHTS on September 1, 2015 3:55AM
  • ZombieZig
    ZombieZig
    ✭✭✭
    EIGHTS wrote: »

I installed the add-on and used the following command in game.

/reloadclear

I then typed /reloadui and poof, it was gone.

Im keeping the add-on, the creator did a nice job ;)

Thanks Eight for pointing this out!
    Edited by ZombieZig on September 1, 2015 4:01AM
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hurra for ESOUI!!! they help me and Circonian found a fix to the ghost window.

For those who need to correct the ghost window too, please head to :smile: and scroll down to the end :

http://esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23120#post23120

or head directly to :
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?s=614c032d696cc0a5db75c12b97f70f7c&id=673#comments

All my characters are fine now, though i am so sad that i had to delete a character to try to get some solution.
    AD - Amareni NB
    -
  • C3N50R3D
    C3N50R3D
    ✭✭✭
    EIGHTS wrote: »

Download this AddOn
    esoui.com/downloads/info673-CirconiansChatIt.html#info

After login, do twice /reloadui or logout then login again.
    The blank window is disappeared.

Thanks to the AddOn author!

Awesome for you! As usual Zeni support was no help!
  • EIGHTS
    EIGHTS
    ✭✭✭✭
    C3N50R3D wrote: »
    Awesome for you! As usual Zeni support was no help!

I'm not awesome. AddOn author is awesome. :)
  • AlmightyGoldfish

Thanks for trying anyway! I know what steps to use next time if something like that happens again.
    FYI with gaming you meet a lot of different people
    Today you have met the best saltiest person there can be.
    You just met the WhaleSperm
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone else get the feeling Zo$ are out of their depth and drowning? lol
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • AlmightyGoldfish
    But that's also why you always never play on the day a Patch has been released. There are bound to be hundreds of bugs and they do have to sort through them. They only human so stop rubbing your lamps waiting for the Zenimax genie to appear, they can only do so much.
    FYI with gaming you meet a lot of different people
    Today you have met the best saltiest person there can be.
    You just met the WhaleSperm
  • C3N50R3D
    C3N50R3D
    ✭✭✭
    Except this was identified on PTS :P