The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Sad truth about IC

bosmern_ESO
bosmern_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Here's whats going to happen in IC, and its not happy so I hope no one has their hopes up (I usually try and look forward to this stuff, but IC is going to put the nail in the coffin for pvp).

In Imperial city districts, when you die you can instantly spawn, jump out of the spawn zone and be right back in the fight. Which is amazing, its constant pvp and its really fun. But that is in a perfect world, well, the un-populated pts where there was no where near enough people to lag the server.

In reality, there will be a massive amount of players constantly spawning and running to fight, which will probably be 5x the amount of players for each faction. Every seasoned PvPers knows what I'm about to say/type next... With the massive amount of players constantly running into a fight, the latency is going to be a complete sh*t show, even worse then how it is now. It doesn't matter if there are zergs there, it doesnt matter if everyone is solo. All the players + all the NPC's + close quarters combat = you paid money to play an unplayable expansion.

Imperial city is going to be a complete mess, I hope everyone enjoyed it on the PTS because its going to be nothing, and I mean nothing like how it is on the PTS. The only good thing about this is that the lag in IC and Cyrodiil wont effect each other, though I'm sure ZoS will find a way to mess that up.

~Thallen~
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    please keep in mind that imperial city is not the size of cryodiil. much smaller and probably alot less build area, this will give us a better chance. ( i hope ) only way to see it in action is on monday when its live and we all are in there.
    just my 2 septims.
  • bosmern_ESO
    bosmern_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    please keep in mind that imperial city is not the size of cryodiil. much smaller and probably alot less build area, this will give us a better chance. ( i hope ) only way to see it in action is on monday when its live and we all are in there.
    just my 2 septims.

I wish that were true, but even on the PTS there was 2 groups of about 12 fighting each other and the game was having problems.
    ~Thallen~
  • EIGHTS
    EIGHTS
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not native speaker in English. I hope that I don't make you misunderstand.
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And with all the buffs zergs are getting(blanket damage nerf) it will take even longer for zerg-clusters to die... which means more purge and barrier spam, and more lag.
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are no torchbugs or deers, so everything should be fine. :#
    Wololo.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just my 2 septims.

I wish that were true, but even on the PTS there was 2 groups of about 12 fighting each other and the game was having problems.

Really? I was on PTS once when cyrodiil was pop locked even and i never saw any lag.
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    just my 2 septims.

Really? I was on PTS once when cyrodiil was pop locked even and i never saw any lag.
    The PTS server is inherently unstable as it doesn't have the same server resources dedicated to it that the live servers do. For instance, there have been numerous times on PTS that the server would stutter for about 0.5 sec every 5-10 sec. Everyone in my TS was getting these stutters at the same time, so yes, it was the server.
    POST EQVITEM SEDET ATRA CVRA
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's whats going to happen in IC, and its not happy so I hope no one has their hopes up (I usually try and look forward to this stuff, but IC is going to put the nail in the coffin for pvp).

In Imperial city districts, when you die you can instantly spawn, jump out of the spawn zone and be right back in the fight. Which is amazing, its constant pvp and its really fun. But that is in a perfect world, well, the un-populated pts where there was no where near enough people to lag the server.

In reality, there will be a massive amount of players constantly spawning and running to fight, which will probably be 5x the amount of players for each faction. Every seasoned PvPers knows what I'm about to say/type next... With the massive amount of players constantly running into a fight, the latency is going to be a complete sh*t show, even worse then how it is now. It doesn't matter if there are zergs there, it doesnt matter if everyone is solo. All the players + all the NPC's + close quarters combat = you paid money to play an unplayable expansion.

Imperial city is going to be a complete mess, I hope everyone enjoyed it on the PTS because its going to be nothing, and I mean nothing like how it is on the PTS. The only good thing about this is that the lag in IC and Cyrodiil wont effect each other, though I'm sure ZoS will find a way to mess that up.

Alas..they run on the same server.
    If server struggles...everyone struggles.
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rune_Relic wrote: »

Alas..they run on the same server.
    If server struggles...everyone struggles.

They are not on the same server. The 'megaserver' is actually a large cluster of individual servers, each serving a different area of the game. From what has been said by the devs(during some ESO live i believe, tho i don't remember exactly which one), all IC zones are separate, and lag in one should not affect the others.
  • Etaniel
    Etaniel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I completely agree with you except for the fact that you think instant respawn is amazing in a perfect world. Instant respawn is crap and Call of DUty like. Instant access from home base to each district is also crap.
    Should have been, respawn in your base, and go through the sewers to get back to the districts
    Noricum | Kitesquad

Youtube

AR 41 DC DK

• Yuke
    Yuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ THIS
    Save Us, Microsoft.

Noricum & Kitesquad™
    YT-Channel
  • ThyIronFist
    ThyIronFist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Etaniel wrote: »

I completely agree with you except for the fact that you think instant respawn is amazing in a perfect world. Instant respawn is crap and Call of DUty like. Instant access from home base to each district is also crap.
    Should have been, respawn in your base, and go through the sewers to get back to the districts

True.

It feels like a giant moshpit or deathmatch with all the players and NPCs. Agreed with everything else OP mentioned. I'll give it a few weeks and if it turns out to be bad I will most likely be done.
    The Elder Zergs Online
    Sainur Ironfist - DK - EU - Ebonheart Pact
    Retired
  • bosmern_ESO
    bosmern_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Etaniel wrote: »

I, and many others enjoyed it because its instant combat, and its never horse riding (or stuck in combat) simulator.
    ~Thallen~
  • bosmern_ESO
    bosmern_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord_Hev wrote: »
    And with all the buffs zergs are getting(blanket damage nerf) it will take even longer for zerg-clusters to die... which means more purge and barrier spam, and more lag.

Which is the exact reason why AoE damage needs to increase in damage based on targets hit instead of reduce. ZoS said "we dont want to increase AoE damage based on targets hit because that will negatively effect PvE". That is probably the dumbest thing I've heard, they are afraid of changing something which will greatly benefit PvP because of PvE. Its simple Make AoE attacks increase in damage based on targets hit in PvP, leave it as is for PvE it doesnt take away from PvE and it would help PvP a lot.

If AoE increased in damage on targets in PvP everyone would spread out because if they balled up they would get destroyed, the reason why we see zerg trains of 40+ people is because if they all stack they take literally no damage. If ZoS ever wanted to fix or give a damn about PvP they would start changing how abilities work in PvP and PvE, because its obviously not working how it is currently.

And I sure am tired of playing an unplayable game.
    ~Thallen~
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or soft CD.
    Stamina/magicka/ultimate drain when you play grab arse on flag or pass the buff in a pain train.
    Bet your arse everyone will keep their distance then if they cant dump ultimates and have no resources left.
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    please keep in mind that imperial city is not the size of cryodiil. much smaller and probably alot less build area,.

More characters in a smaller area?

Sounds like it will be much much worse.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As other people have pointed out, the "PTS testing" moves from the PTS megaserver to the PC/Mac Live megaserver on Monday.

From Aug 31 through Sept 6, we will be "Live testing" the Imperial City at full load on the big hardware.

On Sept 7, version 2.1.5 will come out to address immediate issues that they can identify and fix in 2-3 days, as well as any configuration changes that they feel are necessary. I would not rule out hotfixes during the week, if something comes up that meets that criteria. ZOS will basically be working 24 hours/day after launch for as long as it takes.

If they have planned things correctly, the version sent to the console companies for approval will be based on 2.1.5 and not 2.1.4. They have to know that they will be patching the PC/Mac version immediately after release and that the XBox and PS versions will also need these changes.

There will probably be a console update in early October to pick up additional fixes from the 2.1.6 (or 2.1.7) PC release.

If you really want to see how Imperial City is, on PC you need to wait until mid September, around the 2.1.6 release, and for console, early October after they get the first patch post-release.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just my 2 septims.

It's not the size of the zone. As ZOS has admitted, it's the server load caused by calculating spammable AoE spells for large number of players packed in close proximity. There is little reason to think ZOS has fixed that issue.

I will be amazed if IC isn't consistently and horribly laggy. :(
    Tal'gro Bol
    PvP Vice Officer [Retired] and Huscarl of Vokundein
    http://www.legend-gaming.net/vokundein/
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Talcyndl wrote: »
    It's not the size of the zone. As ZOS has admitted, it's the server load caused by calculating spammable AoE spells for large number of players packed in close proximity. There is little reason to think ZOS has fixed that issue.

This is what I mean when I say that IC will probably be worse.

In Cyrodiil there is lots of "space", but only a few places where characters/zergs inherently gather - and the lag increases visibly the more characters there are. You can escape or minimize some of it by darting out to do distance damage at the end of your range (or even seige from a distance).

Sounds like IC will just be one huge mess of zerg-ness; thus likely one huge mess of lag.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just my 2 septims.

Hopefully, they still have the money to throw additional server resources at PC/Mac for a couple of weeks to handle the extra population just checking out the DLC.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Poxheart
    Poxheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just my 2 septims.

Hopefully, they still have the money to throw additional server resources at PC/Mac for a couple of weeks to handle the extra population just checking out the DLC.

Whatever population bump there is this week will likely be lower than the population bump that occurred when the game went B2P.
    Unsubbed and no longer playing, but still checking the Alliance War forum for the lulz.

Pox Dragon Knight
    Poxheart Nightblade
    The Murder Hobo Dragon Knight - Blackwater Blade
    Knights of the WhiteWolf
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    please keep in mind that imperial city is not the size of cryodiil. much smaller and probably alot less build area,.

IC isn't a single area. It is 16 separate areas(with zone transitions between them), and the same amount of players that originally all played in a single zone will now be split over 17, because the population cap hasn't been changed and applies to both cyrodiil and imperial city.
  • bosmern_ESO
    bosmern_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    newtinmpls wrote: »

IC isn't a single area. It is 16 separate areas(with zone transitions between them), and the same amount of players that originally all played in a single zone will now be split over 17, because the population cap hasn't been changed and applies to both cyrodiil and imperial city.

All districts are not separate zones, IC is its own zone and Cyrodiil is its own, those are the only two.
    ~Thallen~
  • ijacksparrowed
    ijacksparrowed
    ✭✭✭
    but they tested it with 120 bots fighting all at once. They said it wont lag, that's what they said.
  • Raizin
    Raizin
    ✭✭✭✭
    but they tested it with 120 bots fighting all at once. They said it wont lag, that's what they said.

rofl...
    HellSeesYou = v16/AD/Rank 37-Former emp/EU TB-AZura(Old Auriels Bow badass) ___ Vampire Templar/Resto/Destro staff user from Banana squad
    HellSeesAll - v16/EP/Rank 19 Magicka NB/Necrotic Lag member
    HellSeesUs - v16/AD/Rank 18 Stamina Templar
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Instant respawn is crap.

I hope everyone loves killing someone only to have them respawn and jump right back at you, you kill them again for zero exp and zero AP. Awesome!

That's not even the biggest issue, nor is lag. The combat on PTS is boring. The tab targeting sucks and its a single direct damage ability mashing *** that will remind you such much of WoW you'll want to go back and play the Arena in Burning Crusade... Until you remember that sucked too.

I wrote a whole thread on this in PTS forums along with countless others. Enjoy your last few days of enjoyable PvP, without some major combat changes I don't have much hope.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you don't like instant respawn play in sewers instead. That's what I'll be doing. Die in the middle of the sewers you have to run all the way back again. Wayyy better imo then the districts call of duty style spawn and die style.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't like instant respawn play in sewers instead. That's what I'll be doing. Die in the middle of the sewers you have to run all the way back again. Wayyy better imo then the districts call of duty style spawn and die style.

isnt that why they got rid of forward camps?
  • FluffiestOne
    FluffiestOne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »
    Instant respawn is crap.

I hope everyone loves killing someone only to have them respawn and jump right back at you, you kill them again for zero exp and zero AP. Awesome!

That's not even the biggest issue, nor is lag. The combat on PTS is boring. The tab targeting sucks and its a single direct damage ability mashing *** that will remind you such much of WoW you'll want to go back and play the Arena in Burning Crusade... Until you remember that sucked too.

I wrote a whole thread on this in PTS forums along with countless others. Enjoy your last few days of enjoyable PvP, without some major combat changes I don't have much hope.

I liked WoW BC arena... my 5-box shammie team was op. :neutral:
    Fluffy
    Senior Fluffykins, Daggerfall Liberator of Haderus, Dragonknight.
    Fliffers, Daggerfall Liberator of Hopesfire, Templar.
    Prophet Fluffy of Death, Casual of the Dominion, Sorceror.
    Nozdorumu The Timeless, Daggerfall. Dragon. Nightblade.
    All my toon names are subject to change.
    " Ignorance must be bliss because I can't imagine why anyone would live in it. " -Fluffy
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The IC was probably built to not lag with the very situation you described in mind.

*ducks*