Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What does Magelight do?

IdesofMarch2
IdesofMarch2
✭✭
I am trying to upgrade my Mage Guild skill line for my DK lv 30 high elf and I have the Magelight but it doesn't seem to do anything really. A lot of times I never ever see the balls of light appear around me. Seems kinda useless?
Runs with the A.D.
Xbox One
PC N/A
Magicka Sorc
  • Brightxdawn
    Brightxdawn
    ✭✭✭
    When you morph it to inner light you increase your max magika and it raises your spell crit so you fry *** left and right! :p
  • Umad_BrO
    Umad_BrO
    ✭✭✭
    Actually that is a good question.
    Magelight in this is nothing like in any of the other titles, in ESO it is used to give a better focus on your spells, not to light up a dark dungeon.....big time bummer, right?
    At some point in the game you will be given a globe like thing that provides light like the oldschool spell did, just keep it hotkeyed ;)
    What's the matter? Did somebody steal your sweet roll?
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    Umad_BrO wrote: »
    Actually that is a good question.
    Magelight in this is nothing like in any of the other titles, in ESO it is used to give a better focus on your spells, not to light up a dark dungeon.....big time bummer, right?
    At some point in the game you will be given a globe like thing that provides light like the oldschool spell did, just keep it hotkeyed ;)

Agreed

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
  • IdesofMarch2
    IdesofMarch2
    ✭✭
    So you use it right before you cast a spell? It does nothing on its own?
    Runs with the A.D.
    Xbox One
    PC N/A
    Magicka Sorc
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a toggle ability. You essentially need it on both bars.

You cast it once, and so long as you don't have a loading screen, it stays on you. You don't need to cast it again.

It increases max magica and spell crit I believe.
  • gilbegger
    gilbegger
    ✭✭✭
    3/4 of the time the animation dosent even show up (ps4)...so you need to look at your bar..it will be highlited. One morph is supposed to give you extra stealth perception...but that perk is worthless (in my opinion)...its used more for the (50% I think...usefull for pvp) crit protection. I take it on all my pvp characters . Helps with the NB gankers.

I dont recall the other morph...
  • iainoflo
    iainoflo
    I think it creates a glowing orb only when you're not in a location with too much light ie outside in the sun. Otherwise it just turns yours hands blue. Magelight alone reduces your max Magicka by 5%, but the morph most people use is Inner Light which increases your max Magicka by 5% and increases your spell critical rating by 20%, essential for those two reasons especially if you're a spell caster.

And just equpping a Mages Guild skill on your bar will not increase the Mages Guild skill line like all the weapon, armor and class abilities. Mages, Fighters Guilds and Undaunted and Ledgerdemain skill lines level differently.

For Fighters Guild killing Daedra and Undead increases it, Mages Guild levels when you read the glowing blue lore books and Undainte
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets you read a lore book in a really dark and dingy cave ;)
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The base ability gets you 10% more spell crit at the cost of 5% magicka, both effects permanently in effect if the ability is toggled on. The "inner light" morph will provide the same 10% additional spell crit, but will increase max magicka by 5% instead of reduce it. Neither of the above two will help with stealth detection.

The other morph, "radiant magelight", will grant you 10% spell crit, reduce max magicka by 5% and grants stealth detection. In addition, it reduces damage from stealth by 50% for yourself and allies within a 5 meter radius.

Having the passive "magicka controller" does grant you 1/2% maximum magicka for each mages guild ability slotted. Hence, with this passive at rank 2, the reduction is only 3% and inner light will grant a total of 7% maximum magicka.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of times I never ever see the balls of light appear around me. Seems kinda useless?

There is a game option to suppress the floating ball. It does not always work as in it shows up from time to time if you have this set, but that might be why you don't see it. However, your eyes will glow when the effect is active.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"