Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How do you get max xp from quests?

HebrewHatchet
HebrewHatchet
✭✭✭
Besides using xp boosters, how do you ensure you get the maximum possible xp from quests? If the quest is way below your level it is displayed in gray and gives very little xp. If, on the other hand, it's displayed in red, it gives more. Is there anything better than red? Can quests give you very little xp if you are way too low level for them? I'm leveling alts and would like to do it efficiently. Thanks :)
[PS4 NA]
PSN: HebrewHatchet
  • qpviper1qp
    qpviper1qp
    ✭✭
    It's always best to do quests as close to on level as possible. Too low and you won't get as much xp as you would have had you done them immediately without skipping them and too high won't be worth the effort. I tried to clear every quest in each zone from1-50 anyways. I truly never cared about the quest xp with my alts so i skipped most of them but i do eventually want to go back for the sake of clearing and getting the skill points.
  • HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks qpviper1qp, does anybody have numbers (i.e. if the quest is 5 levels over your current level then it will display in red and give 2x XP)?
    [PS4 NA]
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Over 5 levels up or down you get less XP not sure how much less just less.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm leveling alts and would like to do it efficiently. Thanks :)

Define efficiency. Are you trying to level them as fast as possible? Are you trying to set them up to gain the most possible champ points? Do you want them to be at VR Ranks when you have finished the content or before?

For the first and third, just clear the maps, you will be over leveled as you leave each zone. Ignore the Exp, it will work itself out so that your at VR Ranks before you finish the 5th zone. (assuming you have ESO Plus and you duo some of the content) How much of the map you clear will determine how quickly you gain VR ranks.

If the second, then you need to approach this a certain way. In this case, only do enough quests to finish the main quest for each zone (netting you the skill points for that) and grind mobs if you need leveling to keep up with content. Then, once your in the VR Ranks, go back and do all the quests that you skipped. You get Vet level Exp for quests you do at Vet Levels* so you can gain champ points for the quests even though you gain no mob experience.

*Not sure how the exp will work out under the new update that just launched. I would gain one to two Champ points per leveling zone I was finishing up as a VR when enlightened. However your quest experience would scale up if you were a VR Rank even doing leveling quests, so it's a good way to max out champ points with the content you have to do. Not sure with the new exp system if this is the most efficient way, I will have to see or wait for feedback. I don't know if I have any leveling quests left on my VRs and my alts are still in the teens.

Also, not sure if you have to be in Caldwell's Silver/Gold to get the Vet Exp rewards or just be a VR Rank.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking for time efficiency. I absolutely love this game and I took my time with my main character. Now I want a couple of different classes at vet level so that I can get some good writ rewards out of them. I don't mind that it will take dozens of hours, but I find it fun to get in the zone and pump out those levels quickly!

So, I should just do the main quest and Cadwell's almanac? You say I should grind mobs if I get behind in levels. Should I try to do quests when they're red, yellow, or green? Does it matter if the quests are 1 level ahead of me or 4?
    [PS4 NA]
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the thing. The game is designed so that if you do 90% or so of the content in the zone, you will reach the levels you need as you go through the game without ESO Plus, or Mara or Duoing. If you get over leveled, the mob exp drops so the content levels catch up with you. If you get under leveled, the mob content goes up in relation and you level up a bit faster. So, there are two things at work here if your just trying to reach VR Ranks.

To get the best Writ Rewards, as in level of materials, you have to be VR10. There is some weirdness around early vet levels and whether you have unlocked Coldharbor or Craglorn. In other words, you have to unlock Craglorn as a pre-requisite to getting all L6 Writ Rewards across the crafts (along with the Material Levels)

So, you need to reach VR Ranks, and unlock Craglorn (finish main quest for the game) to get the max crafting writ rewards. Well, you will still get materials tied to your character level, but I am assuming you want to chase the Fragments of the motifs and ambrosia.

Me, I would rather have the most Champ Points to earn without grinding mobs as I find quests are more fun and more enjoyable, even if I am repeating them. Some people love just grinding on mobs for hours on end. With my method, you still have to grind, but not as much, maybe one to three levels per zone. Probably not saving any time, but I prefer to quest to gain experience for Champ Points.

Any event, there are many roads to VR Ranks, some take longer and have less content left over, some are faster and give you more content to do after reaching VR Ranks. Because, CP's are more important to me than any VR15/16 gear that appears to be a major grind to get no matter what level you are. This is why I leave content behind. Heck, I have a VR10 that just unlocked Caldwells Gold by following my method She still has somethings left in the Silver zones too. I expect her to be VR16 before she finishes Caldwell's Gold. Compared to my VR13 and VR14 that have no quest content left in Silver and Gold, and my VR10 who only has two zones in Gold left to do. My VR13 and 14 only have mob grinding to gain levels. Well, lets see what Craglorn is like now, it might be worth it now.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"