Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

building a templar..

Krazy_ADHD
i am building a templar. i am currently level 11. should i be using heavy armour? right now i have full light armour. also should i be using sword? and what healing skills are the best.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Any class can use any type of armor, it all depends on what you want to do/what skills you are using. Same goes for your weapon.

If you want to be a mage type character or a healer. You would probably want to stick with light armor and go with a destruction staff and/or restoration staff as your weapon(s).

If you want to be a tank type character, then you would probably want to switch to heavy armor and go sword and shield.

If you want to deal damage using any other weapon (and plan to stick mostly to weapon skills), then you would probably want to use medium armor.

In the beginning, it can be fun to experiment and see what play style works for you. You may want to wear one piece of each type of armor, so that you can be leveling up all three while you try to decide what kind of character you want to make.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have two templars

1) sun priest dps with healing second bar (cloth and resto staff)

2) orc steam roller (heavy armor, 2H weapon, only templar skill so far is an instant self heal) ... breaks all the rules for weapon dps, but played for fun and variation

Deltias gamin website has good ideas on classes and builds

http://deltiasgaming.com/category/eso-guides/class-guide/templar-class-guide-for-elder-scrolls-online/templar-builds/
    Edited by OzJohnD on August 20, 2015 3:31AM
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Krazy_ADHD
    so i should be wearing heavy armour right. 5 pieces? and what about my sword. does swinging it take stamina away?
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about a thing at your level, try everything, try it a lot. You can always respec down the road, but you'll have more skill points than you know what to do with while leveling up, and then you'll have a better idea of what you're wanting to do and which abilities you match your playstyle better.

For armor, I'd always keep it mixed, until all 3 are max level. There's also an undaunted passive you'll get later on in the game that gives you a bonus for wearing 3 types of armor, so even if you go heavy armor you very well may want to wear 5pc heavy, 1pc light and 1pc medium for the full bonus.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This builds in this game are based upon which role you choose to play. If you wish to be a healer in group play, don't go with medium or heavy armor with a stamina based weapon such as 2handed sword. If you wish to be a stamina dps build, don't wear lightarmor and a staff.

Heavy armor = tank build
    Medium armor = stamina dps build
    Lightarmor = magicka dps and healer build

While you level up as a templar, you only need 2 important skills - everything els is a luxury and "advanced".

skill number 1:
    Puncturing Strikes - morph it to Puncturing Sweep (if you go magicka) or Puncturing Strikes (if you go stamina).
    Note: This skill is good against multiple targets as well as single targets.
    skill number 2:
    Rushed Ceremony - morph it to Breath of life (it will be your AMAGAAAHD-I'M-DOOMED-button).
  • The_Boze
    The_Boze
    This builds in this game are based upon which role you choose to play. If you wish to be a healer in group play, don't go with medium or heavy armor with a stamina based weapon such as 2handed sword. If you wish to be a stamina dps build, don't wear lightarmor and a staff.

Heavy armor = tank build
    Medium armor = stamina dps build
    Lightarmor = magicka dps and healer build

While you level up as a templar, you only need 2 important skills - everything els is a luxury and "advanced".

skill number 1:
    Puncturing Strikes - morph it to Puncturing Sweep (if you go magicka) or Puncturing Strikes (if you go stamina).
    Note: This skill is good against multiple targets as well as single targets.
    skill number 2:
    Rushed Ceremony - morph it to Breath of life (it will be your AMAGAAAHD-I'M-DOOMED-button).

What he said. That's all I did when I started Templar was my first character you can get by with just those skills and that will allow to experiment with everything else. That will allow to figure out what playstyle fits you the best as well as which one you enjoy the most.
  • Krazy_ADHD
    you prefer puncturing strikes over the dawns wrath skills?
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Krazy_ADHD wrote: »
    you prefer puncturing strikes over the dawns wrath skills?

Puncturing sweep is pretty OP for PVE, can solo almost everything of level as a Templar using just that if you wanted. It's basically a spam ability, one of the best spam abilities IMO.

Dawn's Wrath abilities, not sure which you're referring to.

Radiant Oppression/Glory are an execute, so it's very useful for targets <35% health, but not so much on full targets and not an AOE.

Dark Flare is good, but pretty magicka intensive if you have to heal yourself as well, has a cast time and is only single target.
    Solar Barrage morph turns it into an AOE, but again it's very magicka intensive but very useful in some situations where you need a lot of burst aoe DPS.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Lightninvash
    Lightninvash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im Templar and my guild master is Templar we both roll heavy armor for survivability of phy def and hp and the first skill in the dawns wrath tree I use when morphed you can target up to 3 enemies for dot and slow I find that useful
    Edited by Lightninvash on August 21, 2015 7:45PM
  • Krazy_ADHD
    So are you a tank or a healer?
  • Ratbert
    Ratbert
    ✭✭
    I went 1-50 then v1-12 as a stamina templar for the most part. Pretty fun all heavy armor mostly sword/board skills dabbled in two hander and bow. Landed on dual wielding and sword/board. I'd throw in some templar talents to polish it all off.

EDIT: adding a bit more to the tank stuff. I put most points into health/stam. I used purple food consumables to raise stats and the armor/spell resist buff in heavy armor tree (i think) along with my templar shield. I also used a 1hd with damage shield proc and % increase to proc rate trait all for tanking. I landed some where at 28k spell resist, 30k physical, and 32k health with food and personal buffs during fights. That was V12 with blue v12 gear and store purchased enchants. Didn't want to spend lots of money on crafting until I hit v14. Not sure if those are good stats or not who knows. Worked out well for my group when I was the main tank until we found a consistent DK.

I recently switched to full healer magic build 12-14. Seducer/healer sets for now (3 piece jewelry healer set I got from DSA). I'm still learning my new build but it's pretty fun so far if you want to go healer at some point. I focused on magic regen at the encouragement of a sorc I normally run with and it has actually been working out great. I find it hard to run out of mana even spamming my insta heal in the templar heal tree.

My normal group is 2x Sorc blowing things up, a DK tank , and me the templar healer. I've been slowly mixing in some damage stuff from the dawns wrath tree (I just love the jesus beam). I'll throw spears out for magic/sta to the tank/sorcs when they need and provide a few other great support perks with the class. My ultimate's are the mega heal and nova. I rarely have to use my mega heal unless things are going horribly wrong and the tank is having a hard time gathering up packs of mobs.

So far we've been blowing up vet dungeons and DSA normal without much fuss. I find the templar a very easy healing class to play and can really get things under control health wise when stuff hits the fan.

Don't do PVP much yet so can't answer to that.
    Edited by Ratbert on August 21, 2015 9:14PM