The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I have a confession.

Araxleon
Araxleon
✭✭✭✭✭
I dont know how to animation cancel.
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's easy.

A bit of general information: A few animations are longer than the actual cast time of the ability; this means, the damage/effect has already happened when the animation is still in progress. You may want to cancel it, to use a follow-up ability earlier. Why? Because abilities have a 1s global cooldown, means you can execute a skill per second. Skill means ability from your hotbar, NOT light/heavy attack, dodge or block. These can go in between.

How to do it? ESO has a priority system, from lowest to highest: light/heavy attack, skill, dodge/block/weapon swap (unsure where to place weapon swap). That means: you perform a heavy attack, cancel it with a skill (making the heavy attack essentially a medium attack), and cancel the skill with block or weapon swap. Release block, start the heavy attack again, repeat the circle.

That's all.
    Lairgren | DC Dragonknight - August Palatine
    playing for eXile

I'm done, CU somewhere else.
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's easy.

A bit of general information: A few animations are longer than the actual cast time of the ability; this means, the damage/effect has already happened when the animation is still in progress. You may want to cancel it, to use a follow-up ability earlier. Why? Because abilities have a 1s global cooldown, means you can execute a skill per second. Skill means ability from your hotbar, NOT light/heavy attack, dodge or block. These can go in between.

How to do it? ESO has a priority system, from lowest to highest: light/heavy attack, skill, dodge/block/weapon swap (unsure where to place weapon swap). That means: you perform a heavy attack, cancel it with a skill (making the heavy attack essentially a medium attack), and cancel the skill with block or weapon swap. Release block, start the heavy attack again, repeat the circle.

That's all.

I know that, i still cant x_x weird...
    Confuses me how I kill people sometimes.
    Edited by Araxleon on August 18, 2015 1:09PM
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not that you need it for everything. It's most efficient in pve encounters anyway.
    playing for eXile

• Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Araxleon wrote: »
    It's easy.

That's all.

I know that, i still cant x_x weird...
    Confuses me how I kill people sometimes.

Its like playing baccarat. Once u figure out what your doing.you start losing
  • Sharmony
    Sharmony
    ✭✭✭
    It's not that you need it for everything. It's most efficient in pve encounters anyway.

As R.Jan stated, weaving and animation cancelling is king to producing good PvE DPS but different forms of game play exist in PvP.
    @Wjleppard - EU - Sharmony Youtube
    Holyfire - V16 Stamina Templar | Auriels Bow - V16 Stamina Nightblade | Sharmony - V16 Magicka Templar | Flaming Rose - V16 Magicka Dragonknight | Rejuvenation - V16 Magicka Nightblade | Dora The (Explorer Title) - V16 Magicka Sorcerer | Critjiit - V16 Stamina Dragonknight | Just Hold Block - V16 Stamina Dragonknight | Stormburst - V16 Stamina Sorcerer | Ashenbourne - V16 Magicka Templar | Swims-At-Speed - V16 Magicka Templar | Sharmonknee - V16 Stamina Nightblade | Sharmoney - V16 Magicka Warden
    Guild Affiliations: Hodor, Travelling Merchant, Aetherius Trade, Golden Goose.
    Previous Affiliations: GM of Well-Fitted, Almost Heroes, Kill All, Don't Die, Exile, Sigma Draconis, Legio Mortum
  • Eglath
    Eglath
    ✭✭✭
    Now try animation cancelling with 240+ ping. That is real challenge.
    Vinyamar - AD vr14 sorc RANK: 30
    RAGE Core
    Abandoned Legion Officer
  • Waylander
    Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have a 300 ping yeah Araxleon?

High ping can make the weaves not work every time.

Just keep doing what you do anyway. You wreck most people.
    Nocturnal - AD Oceanic PvP Guild
    Waylander
    Frankie
    Krylla
    Uniter
    Macgyverr
    Ivy
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waylander wrote: »

All the other kids with pumped up kicks... :(
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Neither do I.
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't do it with light/heavy attacks at all and do fine.

I chiefly do it to make animations for my Absorb Magick animation invisible by "Block-cancelling" it. And I do it during periods of high latency with dodge roll. Often I'll have 3 people attacking me and none of my abilities are working (Dodge roll and most combat actions will always work in periods of latency since they are client side) so I'll be spamming rally and animation cancelling it with dodge roll to remain relatively safe until the rally actually goes through.

I know I do it now subconsciously for a lot of other skills, including weapon swap cancel but I'd only be able to mention why or when by watching some of my videos of me doing it.

If you're a magicka nightblade the only benefit for you I can think of is weaving light attacks with your staff which can be useful but not necessary.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know that carefully balanced system where damage is matched to cost and big damage take longer and cost more.
    This gives you a cost/dps
    If you halve the time it takes to do the same damage, you halve the cost/dps.

Animation cancelling = Win + Profit.

Of course now you need to number crunch all the cost/dps for all damage and figure out which gives you the biggest win and profit factor.

#cheese #esobalance #minmax #stealthmacro :)
    Edited by Rune_Relic on August 18, 2015 3:31PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's actually incredibly useful in PVP too.
    It will help increase DPS and if you have disease enchant it can proc this on your enemies.
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

IGN- @Juies || Youtube || Twitch
    EP - Julianos . Jules . Family Jules . Jules of Misrule. Joy
    DC - Julsie . Jules . Jukes . Jojuji . Juliet . Jaded
    AD - Juice . Jubaited . Joules . Julmanji . Julogy . Jubroni . Ju Jitsu

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jules wrote: »

It's actually incredibly useful in PVP too.
    It will help increase DPS and if you have disease enchant it can proc this on your enemies.

Yes, but you can't do it all the time. It's pretty mandatory in pve, though.

And to be honest, most people do it anyway, but they're not aware of it. Or do you all wait after a light attack for the weapon to return to starting position? Same for skills etc.
    playing for eXile

• Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Light Attack > skill > bash > dodge
    Heavy attack > skill etc.
    Animation cancel with weaponswap or dodge or block or whatever.

I do it since a long time now and kinda unconsciously..
    Really, I don't want to play without it anymore :p
    R.I.P Dawnbreaker / Auriel´s Bow
    Member of the Arena Guild and the overpowered Banana Squad.
    Nathaerizh aka Cat - Nightblade V16 - EU

- Meow -
  • Waylander
    Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭
    Waylander wrote: »

All the other kids with pumped up kicks... :(

You better run, better run, outrun my gun
    All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
    You better run, better run, faster than my bullet

300 ping club checking in.
    Nocturnal - AD Oceanic PvP Guild
    Waylander
    Frankie
    Krylla
    Uniter
    Macgyverr
    Ivy
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't bother learning it it's gonan be removed soon isn't that right ZoS it has been complained about as much as block casting and it is a broken mechanic.
  • WitchyWarrior
    WitchyWarrior
    ✭✭✭✭
    My kid told me that I am one mean button smasher.

So I'm assuming I do it, but not on purpose.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't animation cancel everything like I should, and I do very well. It's not all that necessary.
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • izjiz
    izjiz
    #reported
    Izjiz - Dc NB v14
    Izjïz- EP temp v14
    CEzy - DC sorc v14
    cezy - DC dk v14
    Izjiz Jnr - AD DK v14
    īzjiz - DC NB ( khajit ) v14
    cEzy - EP Sorc - v1
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't bother learning it it's gonan be removed soon isn't that right ZoS it has been complained about as much as block casting and it is a broken mechanic.

No, it's actually part of the game. They didn't expect it, but kinda like it... at least that's what they said last year.
    playing for eXile

•  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It can be tricky, the important thing to remember is your light or heavy attack goes before your skill. It's called weaving because it goes before each ability- forming a sort of weave around your active skills.

If you want to practice, try on a templar with DW or 2h. Biting jabs is a great skill to practice the timing with because it takes some time to make contact, giving you more time to react and press that next light attack. It's a visual thing that you have to get a feel for but as I level my baby templar, I'm noticing that:

Charge > light attack > biting jabs

Pretty much murders everything realllll good. Biting jabs would probably do this as well, but it's that one extra little tick of ~800 so damage that is making TTK of mobs even lower. When you animation cancel properly, the weapon attack should flow directly into the skill. They shouldn't feel very disjointed or like they're separate attacks.

Updated FTC is a good way to track yourself as well. The scrolling combat text puts your weapon attacks in white so you can see if you are hitting those light attacks between each biting jabs/other spam skill.

Also leftylucy has a great vid on this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BLZzGoPp9Ug

Hope this helps :smiley:
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

IGN- @Juies || Youtube || Twitch
    EP - Julianos . Jules . Family Jules . Jules of Misrule. Joy
    DC - Julsie . Jules . Jukes . Jojuji . Juliet . Jaded
    AD - Juice . Jubaited . Joules . Julmanji . Julogy . Jubroni . Ju Jitsu

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • Wycks
    Wycks
    ✭✭✭✭
    The easiest thing to animation cancel is to cast dawnbreaker and dodge.

Move on to other abilities that have shorter and shorter animations and instead of dodge use light/heavy attacks.
    The numbers thing is always going to be there, but it’s more down to player skill and there are ways through ability choice to configure a group to be stronger vs. large groups of people. - BRAIN WHEELER - 2012 - LOL
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Changes are coming to animation canceling, a couple of ESO live shows back there was an animator on the show Gina asked him directly about animation canceling and he did say something was in the works but of course did not elaborate as usual.
    My guess is either they have found a away to do get rid of it or if you cancel an animation you will not get full damage, but we will have to wait and see what it is.

The ESO live episode is #22 July 17th at about the 50min mark. On Twitch past episodes.

My questions if it is part of the game that is here to stay why is it not in the tool tips ?
    Edited by kevlarto_ESO on August 20, 2015 12:01AM
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Changes are coming to animation canceling, a couple of ESO live shows back there was an animator on the show Gina asked him directly about animation canceling and he did say something was in the works but of course did not elaborate as usual.
    My guess is either they have found a away to do get rid of it or if you cancel an animation you will not get full damage, but we will have to wait and see what it is.

The ESO live episode is #22 July 17th at about the 50min mark. On Twitch past episodes.

My questions if it is part of the game that is here to stay why is it not in the tool tips ?

Tool tips are not always the best source of information ;). Also you can't get rid of animation cancel easily, because that would also mean you couldn't block or dodge whenever you want...
    playing for eXile

• Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you fudge up animation canceling, you can always bash people to death instead.
    The Legendary Nothing
  • sicc
    sicc
    ✭✭✭
    As a magicka nightblade is it worth weaving light attack with concealed weapon? I always do it out of habit then cancel concealed animation with roll.
  • MmmmTofu
    MmmmTofu
    ✭✭✭
    Animation cancelling should stay, for the sake of dodging and blocking mid combat. What should really happen is the cancelled skill / attack must not do damage. Just like throwing a punch at someone but decide to dodge while the fist hasn't gone all out, the punch never lands and no damage is dealt.

Combats should develop its own rhythm with different weapon set equipped, not just clipping animations to cram 5 attacks in as fast as possible. Animation cancelling in today's state works against ZOS's "immersion" advertisement.
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MmmmTofu wrote: »
    Animation cancelling should stay, for the sake of dodging and blocking mid combat. What should really happen is the cancelled skill / attack must not do damage. Just like throwing a punch at someone but decide to dodge while the fist hasn't gone all out, the punch never lands and no damage is dealt.

Combats should develop its own rhythm with different weapon set equipped, not just clipping animations to cram 5 attacks in as fast as possible. Animation cancelling in today's state works against ZOS's "immersion" advertisement.

I actually agree, and to add to that, it also removes the need for costs on anything. The reason move high cost skills have decidedly long animations is to make up for their cost by giving a built in delay to regen in the interim

Why bother with costs when every skill is just spammed at GCD anyway, people just build up regen to arbitrary and everything is infinite
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sicc wrote: »
    As a magicka nightblade is it worth weaving light attack with concealed weapon? I always do it out of habit then cancel concealed animation with roll.

Yes it is, as you get in a bit more damage and a potential enchant proc, even if not for pure damage it defo builds up ultimate quicker
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kinda can but don't, mainly because.. well..um.. I don't care enough