Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Armor differences?

trezomnar
trezomnar
Sorry for the rookie question, but is there really a difference in the armor types other than the abilities you can unlock with skill points?

I mean, I've been using medium armor on my NB thinking that it gives decent armor and would afford me a bit more mobility than heavy armor (I like to sneak and such); but when I put on pieces of heavy armor I don't notice a difference, really. Is it just my mind or is it just worth it to pay attention to the perks or a particular piece of armor?
  • Akavir_Sentinel
    Akavir_Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes there are a huge number of differences and bonuses between armor types.
    Can't find the items you are looking for? Need a place to trade? We welcome ESO players of all platforms at ESO Trade, the home for trading of goods and services in the lands of Tamriel.
  • Silken_Meer
    Silken_Meer
    Soul Shriven
    Makes a big difference in the end game, depending on what your role and build is using ability wise. Levelling up, doesn't make that much difference. In fact it a good idea to wear 2 pieces of each when leveling to learn all three different types, so you can switch role if you no longer like the role you are doing.

I'm a healer so use magicka and therefore wear light armour with magicka stats, since most if not all of my spell casts use magicka. Not an expert on other builds so not really sure what NB builds usually are. I'm sure someone else will jump in.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a lot of difference in armor rating (which means damage mitigation). Also, the passives (the ones you unlock with skillpoints) are very important for the direction of a build.

But it is not like in skyrim that heavy armor is having a heavier weight and you risk having too much weight on you. It also makes no difference for movementspeed.

ESO is a crossover between single player RPG's and MMO's, so these kind of things are different.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • trezomnar
    trezomnar
    It's sounding like I made a good decision in the medium armor for my NB then. I like the idea of being able to take a hit (with the heavy) but the perks on medium just seem to lend themselves better to a mobility build.

Thanks guys!
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you dungeon and get Undaunted skill tree up, wearing 1 piece each of your non-main types gives you a passive bonus for wearing all three types (presuming you put skill points into the passive)
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend