Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Want to make a profit but don't want to look greedy.

Kylestien
Kylestien
Okay, so i recently joined a Trading Guild to make some money. My intention is to sell what i can for a bit lower then the average market price. Peoplle in my guild or with the trader get a good deal, i get a fair price of gold without looking greedy, everyone is happy.

Problem is, I don't want to undercharge too much (got to make a profit), but I don't want to be greedy either.

Can someone give me advice on how to look for a good market price and sell it for a bit less? Im going to sell everything from low level Alcemhy reagents to Yellow things I find in Cyrodil so I need more then a small advice on one item.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you on pc?? if so I can recommend the add on master merchant. It tracks all sales in your guilds and gives you pretty reliable price checks.

As for not looking greedy. Trading through a trade post is very anonymous. I never look at sellers in a bad way. Looking at the trader in Vulkhel Guard, almost everything on it is overpriced. But it has a reason. they have one of the most expensive spots in the world. They actually have to buy cheap at other traders and sell expensive in that spot to pay for the spot and still make profit. So it has a reason. Just ask what you want (using e.g. master merchant for price checks). If it sells, a seller saw your offer and found it fair enough to buy it. So they would not look bad at you in any way.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • srs121
    srs121
    ✭✭
    If your on console, you will have to look at several traders to get a good idea of prices on gear. Don't ever be afraid of under cutting someone else's price, the cheaper your price the faster it will sell. The higher the demand the faster it will sell. Depending on your need for gold, try to sell for close to the current market value or just a bit under. Joining a trade guild will help you in moving multiple items fast, or one with a guild trader.
    Interested in joining a PvE focused clan? Feel free to contact me.

Alliance : Aldmeri Dominion
    Platform : Playstation 4
    PSN : srs121
    Server : North American
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can either make a little gold on a lot of transactions or a more gold on less. Or, in other words, are you a wholesaler or a retailer? If you decide to go wholesale, sell for cheap, like 30% to 50% off the price you think things move for. The flippers will come along and buy the stuff up fast and you get your gold. If you decide to go retail, then price it at what you think you can get and wait a few days for it to sell.

Being on the console, about the only way to determine the actual sell prices, and not what someone lists it for, is to look at the guild history for the sales. You can do this in the Guild Window.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a some rule ... Put a price on it and see if it sells if not lower it and try again
  • BigDuffy
    BigDuffy
    Here are a few tips I use for selling.
    1:- Check out what other people are selling similar items for.
    2:- Check if you can buy that item from the in game traders and sell it at half the price per item.
    3:- If you are making armour construct the item, Enchant it and sell it for a small profit i.e. if it cost you 150 coin to make it sell it for 250-300 coin so you get a small profit from it.
    4:- Items can be removed and re-listed for a small cost to you ( Loss of listing fee ) so put it for sale and see it sells. If it does not take it down and reduce the price then re-list the item.
    5:- Advertise items for a realistic price. I saw someone trying to sell 10 iron for 500 coin when I was selling 10 iron for 100 coin so guess who got the sale.
    6:- If you are in a guild remember to add items and cash to the guild bank as this will be tracked by the guild owner who will be more pleased with you if you are helping the guild out and not just selling.

Always list things on the basis of would I buy it at that price.
  • Reb
    Reb
    ✭✭✭
    srs121 wrote: »
    If your on console, you will have to look at several traders to get a good idea of prices on gear. Don't ever be afraid of under cutting someone else's price, the cheaper your price the faster it will sell. The higher the demand the faster it will sell. Depending on your need for gold, try to sell for close to the current market value or just a bit under. Joining a trade guild will help you in moving multiple items fast, or one with a guild trader.

just be aware that some guild leaders will kick you if your selling to cheaply !!

So find the right guild and ask about any pathetic price fixing rules before you join :)

Edited by Reb on August 11, 2015 10:59AM
  • Rinmaethodain
    Rinmaethodain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you start selling items "slightly" less than other bear in mind that others might decide to also start selling items "slightly" lower than you. Thats how undercutting begins.

• Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    I have not tried to sell goods on a vendor but how are you not making a profit as long as the amount you are getting back from the guild trader is more than you can just sell it to an in-game vendor?