Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Purple Motif Conditions

Deathstroke2424
What are the actual conditions of finding a purple motif? Container type, player level, anything else that may contribute? Location type (dwarven ruin, house, bank, cyrodiil)? I once found a dwarven motif pace at level ten in a ruin, if that shows anything.
If anyone sneaks up on us, I'll smell them coming. Or, I might not. We will see.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    The barbaric and primal motifs are found in the V1-V5 zones.

The ancient elf and daedric motifs are found in the V6-V10 zones.

(There may be a small chance of finding these motifs in lower level areas, but I've only heard 3rd hand accounts of people doing this and have never seen proof)

Player level does not matter to find them, but obviously you need access to the Veteran Rank zones, so you must complete the main story (i.e. prophet storyline) and then Cadwell's Silver to gain access to ancient elf and daedric.

Dwemer motifs are found in containers in Dwemer ruins or in dwemer style containers anywhere in the world (e.g. I once found a chapter in a dwemer urn in the Tribunal Temple in Mournhold). They do not have a level requirement to find, but you do have to have 9 skill points in the first passive of either blacksmithing, tailoring, or woodworking to use them.

Motifs can be found in furniture (desks, nightstands, dressers, etc.), trunks, urns, and backpacks. They cannot be found in crates, sacks, barrels, or other items that would typically contain food items.

The type of building does not matter (other than the specific requirements for dwemer motifs I listed above) and some can be found outside.

Ultimately, finding them is an issue of getting lucky with RNG. Good luck! I hope this helps.

Edited by Allyhoo811 on August 8, 2015 3:28AM
  • Deathstroke2424
    Thank you! This answered every question!
    If anyone sneaks up on us, I'll smell them coming. Or, I might not. We will see.