Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Soul Gem Farming

Lordklinger
Does anyone know of an efficient way to farm or steal Soul Gems? I know they can be purchased for 100g, and I have plenty of gold, but I'm cheap. Between running vet dungeons and pvp I'm slowing losing my Soul gems.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do enchanter writs
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Open lots of chests. Not every chest has them, but there is a chance every time you open one and the odds improve with chest difficulty. Also, World Bosses and dungeon bosses drop them, so run through your silver zones for quick fights. You should pick up a pretty good supply.
    Edited by Ourorboros on August 8, 2015 12:22PM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no sure-fire way of farming soul gems like you would bait from the undead. But as Ourorboros mentioned above, dungeons can be good, even quest related ones. I can confirm world bosses have a decent chance of dropping gems too. I did a couple of quest related dungeons last night and dropped 5 great empty soul gems. So if you're exploring the map and come across a dungeon, dive in and see what you can find (it's fun anyway too). This next theory is completed untested, and I'm not sure if it would work, but maybe it might be worth trying the necromancer dungeons first.
  • six2fall
    six2fall
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dungeon bosses always seem to drop 1.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ways of getting soul gems:
    Rob enchanter places, they usually keep a few gems, and if you enter the refuge and get out again, new empty gems will have spawned.
    Chests (the ones that you do not steal from) drop gems too, if you're veteran you will find empty and filled grand soul gems in chests everywhere in the world.... even starter islands.
    Bosses drop gems too. In the outside world + in dungeons.
    Pvp reward mail (crappiest way of obtaining gems)
    Writs and gold/silver/bronze keys from undaunted also provide filled and empty gems. Not worth farming, and keep the keys till we get v16 in 2-3 weeks time from now.

How to get lots of gems easily:
    Get good at whatever role you play, don't take critizism personally and be open minded. If you are healer, dd or tank - get decent gear for that, ask around about how to play, start doing pledges and daily dungeons with good players. Even if it is downscaled to v1, if the players are good at what they do then it will be a fast run. 5-6 or more dungeon runs a day, and you'll soon be swimming in gems.
    - in case you prefer solo play, walk into a public dungeon and kill the minibosses, get the achievements too now that you're at it.
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on August 8, 2015 6:47PM
  • die8300
    die8300
    Soul Shriven
    In Vulkhel Guard in Audition, go see merchant Mistress Aramil in Starfall Arcane. In stealth mode, steal the gems from the store. The gems respawn after a while. I assume you can do this with all soul gems merchants but have not tried it with other merchants yet.
  • die8300
    die8300
    Soul Shriven
    In Vulkhel Guard in Auridon, go see merchant Mistress Aramil. Her store is called Starfall Arcana. In stealth mode, steal the gems from the store. They will respawn.
  • Zebo7
    Zebo7
    Head to IC, before IC i was struggling to keep 100 now I have 500+. They are pretty dang common in IC
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get the ... what is it ... oblivion armor? The one where if you rez someone you get two soul gems. Then jump into PvP and rez your heart out.

Or get a lot of money and buy a bunch of empties and then run around with Soul Trap on your bar as a DoT and use it as you kill.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • goatlyonesub17_ESO
    goatlyonesub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best place that I know of to steal empty soul gems is Belkarth, the plaza right in front of the tavern. The mystic is Mathon Nosebreaker, and he's the nearsightestest cuss that I ever stole from. The next best place is Bleakrock Isle, where soul gems occur in two places: the guild trader just west of the wayshrine, and in the workshop building behind the food/drink seller's counter.
    Edited by goatlyonesub17_ESO on November 2, 2018 7:26AM
    "Argonians have fat, scaly tails." —Rissa Manyclaws.
    "Once upon a time there were three sisters: Delicious, Delightful, and Disgusting. Now, Delicious and Delightful were both very pretty girls..." —Brendalyn Jurarde.
    "I smell to the nobility." —Indrasa Avani.
    "A bargain with an animal is not a contract made." —Haderus Atrimus.
    "Redguard makeup for sale. Free samples. Secret ingredients. Unique application method. Lots of satisfied customers." —The Mudball Goblin (aka, Cognac Vinecroft)
    "Your armor looks like underwear." —Shuns-the-Knife.
  • Fleshreaper
    Fleshreaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Run dailies. You can go to all of the chapter and DLC zones and get the daily delve quest, make sure to kill the boss. Pick up the world boss dailies in that zone while you are there, advertise for a world boss group with quest to share first thing. Then head out. You will learn which zones don't have a lot of people running world bosses, then just skip those world boss quests.
    There are a couple of good, public delves that are good farming spots.
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can’t imagine OP still needing soul gems 3 years later.....
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Step 1 - join a good quality social guild
    Step 2 - ask in guild chat if anyone has spare soul gems
    Step 3 - friendly guildies send you soul gems

Seriously, I usually have stacks of the darned things on all my characters. I accumulate way more than I need. If someone in guild chat asks for some, I just give it to them for free.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As you go through delves or dungeons check work benches and tables as they will often have soul gems you can loot.
  • Most_Awesome
    Most_Awesome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    N....N....N......NEEEECRO LOL
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    N....N....N......NEEEECRO LOL

2015 wacko.gif
  • cheops
    cheops
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know of an efficient way to farm or steal Soul Gems? I know they can be purchased for 100g, and I have plenty of gold, but I'm cheap. Between running vet dungeons and pvp I'm slowing losing my Soul gems.

Only 50g if you buy them from a mystic