Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

New player--just found ninroot

scubahustle
scubahustle
Soul Shriven
In Oblivion and Skyrim, ninroot was rare and important. Is this the case in ESO? Any particular NPC I should bring this to? (Ebonheart, btw).

Best Answer

• KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to disappoint you, but Nirnroot is common in ESO, it's just another Alchemical ingredient and has no special usage or rarity value.

ZOS' argument is that since ESO takes place a long time before Morrowind etc. it was a lot more common in that time .. I don't buy it, but one doesn't play ESO for its' lore-abiding content.
    Edited by KerinKor on August 5, 2015 12:53PM
    Answer ✓
  • scubahustle
    scubahustle
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks. That's disappointing--I was psyched when I stumbled upon it. Oh well.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hehe, I can understand that, sorry to have to disappoint you. :)
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    I hate to disappoint you, but Nirnroot is common in ESO, it's just another Alchemical ingredient and has no special usage or rarity value.

ZOS' argument is that since ESO takes place a long time before Morrowind etc. it was a lot more common in that time .. I don't buy it, but one doesn't play ESO for its' lore-abiding content.

To be fair, from a lore point of view it is not so much an issue that it is more avaialable in ESO as in TES1, 2, 3 and 4, but more that it isn't more available in TES5.

The lore is that the plant thrives on (particles) of volcanic ash. the main source is offcourse red mountain. It erupted twice. The first time in 1e668 (2813 years before ESO). the second time in 4e005 (5 years after TES4-oblivion and 196 years before TES5-skyrim.

So it is mostly odd that there is so little ninroot in Skyrim (looking at lore)
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • SLy_Kyti
    SLy_Kyti
    ✭✭✭✭
    As rare as nirnroot was in TES RPG's that is exactly how rare Nirncrux is in this game. But nirnroot is not rare in ESO.
    However, with the addition of the justice system, nirnroot is good for invisible potions! Sell the ones you find!
    Master Crafter: Almost all motifs
    GM~ Blades of Old Tamriel NA/AD
    Member~ NZAD
    Member~ Blades of Vengeance NA/AD
    -Tamriel College -Amazing Deals of Nirn-
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I despise ESO nirnroot... It's a skyshard imitator, can't tell you how many times I hear that sound and think there's a skyshard around just to curse at the little noisy plant when I find it.
    Edited by mklundub17_ESO on August 7, 2015 3:12PM
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • chevalierknight
    chevalierknight
    ✭✭✭
    SLy_Kyti wrote: »
    As rare as nirnroot was in TES RPG's that is exactly how rare Nirncrux is in this game. But nirnroot is not rare in ESO.
    However, with the addition of the justice system, nirnroot is good for invisible potions! Sell the ones you find!

I use the on my magblade in pvp so i have cloak for my perma cloak Kappa
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Oblivion and Skyrim, ninroot was rare and important. Is this the case in ESO? Any particular NPC I should bring this to? (Ebonheart, btw).

Wait, dont pick it.. you need to save it for when you need it in Oblivion.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • danew6
    danew6
    ✭✭✭
    I despise ESO nirnroot... It's a skyshard imitator, can't tell you how many times I hear that sound and think there's a skyshard around just to curse at the little noisy plant when I find it.

I play on PS4 and neither sky shards nor ninroot make any sounds. I wish the sky shards did for me
    Play on PS4 I do like the game, I just feel it could be a lot better and would like to feel like the devolpers actually care about the game and not just making money
  • fractalknight
    fractalknight
    ✭✭
    Nirnroot, Namira's Rot, and Blue Entoloma can be used to make invisibility potions. I have only made level 1 potions so far and I don't think you stay invisible long enough to do anything but get a slight head start on something.
    Tarkus Aquila - Imperial Templar
    Klaaz - Khajit Nightblade
    Fractiz - Altmer Sorcerer
    Jonsir Vheti - Dunmer Dragonknight
    Kills-With-Grin - Argonian Dragonknight

Myrddin the Mystic - Breton Warden

PS4 ESOTU Adventurer since June 2015
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    danew6 wrote: »

I play on PS4 and neither sky shards nor ninroot make any sounds. I wish the sky shards did for me

I play on PS4 now as well and they make sounds for me, like a shimmering sound -- nirnroots and skyshards have the same sound which is annoying for me.

If you don't play with a headset you might not hear them though, I hear a lot of ambient sounds with my headphones I don't when using speakers - things like birds chirping, water sounds, soft ambient music when you enter a certain area.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Caesar Tantalia
    Caesar Tantalia
    ✭✭✭
    the reason why it's so rare in Morrowind etc. is because peeps are farming it in ESO. We picked too many!
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭

That's fine until you start doing Alchemy Writs where, all of a sudden, it turns out it's one of six ingredients that aren't found in the surveys and they've taken them all from you as part of doing the writs (they take three of some ingrdients at a time).
    the reason why it's so rare in Morrowind etc. is because peeps are farming it in ESO. We picked too many!

LOL
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread