The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Native Mac Client?

Marques
Marques
✭✭✭
Hello,

This question is more of a curiosity than anything else.
Is the Mac client a fully native implementation or does it use any kind of wrapper or emulation solution on top of the Windows version?
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Marques,

The Mac client is 100% Native.

-- ESO -- Lead Mac Programmer...
    Staff Post
  • stevenbennett_ESO
    stevenbennett_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Marques,

…for which we are immensely grateful. :grin:

Seriously, the native Mac support was one of the main reasons I really loved and supported ESO from the start. I do currently have a Windows tower machine I built for gaming, but the Mac support is FAR more important to me. The games I will play which don't support Mac are few and far between.

Theres's really NO good reason why native Mac support shouldn't be targeted from the start given that most games are already doing much of the needed work to support other platforms. In fact, I don't see any games on the horizon that I'm interested enough to buy *unless* they have native Mac support. (Sadly, that includes Fallout 4, and will probably include TES 6 if Bethesda doesn't get a clue by then…)
  • Marques
    Marques
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Marques,

Hello Chris and thank you for the reply. From what I have experienced so far you did an amazing job with the Mac client. For me it was truly one of the main reasons that has potentiated such a polished experience when compared to other games in the genre.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Theres's really NO good reason why native Mac support shouldn't be targeted from the start given that most games are already doing much of the needed work to support other platforms. In fact, I don't see any games on the horizon that I'm interested enough to buy *unless* they have native Mac support. (Sadly, that includes Fallout 4, and will probably include TES 6 if Bethesda doesn't get a clue by then…)

Seconded.

Mac support is luckily a given at Blizzard, Aspyr has done some amazing work with Firaxis' Civilization (and, lo and behold, KOTOR2 as of late, a game I was willing to play in Boot Camp), and ESO natively supporting OS X is, of course, top. :wink:

I would love to see Bethesda Game Studios finally join the club, too. Alas, it's their toolchain. This is the reason that's given every time the question crops up. Maybe, just maybe, they'll see what their sister studio is doing (and doing right), and someday...

Yeah, of course I know ESO was developed from the get-go with multi-platform support in mind, so the right decisions concerning the selection of SDKs, libraries, tools, etc. where made at a very early point in time. Whereas ES is ancient. :D
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on August 4, 2015 12:14AM
  • Dahkoht
    Dahkoht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Props to you all then. I assumed it was some ciderized wrapper that some devs claim is a "mac client".

Always thought Blizzard was great about making good OS X native clients , glad to see you all are also.
  • Marques
    Marques
    ✭✭✭

Seconded.

Mac support is luckily a given at Blizzard, Aspyr has done some amazing work with Firaxis' Civilization (and, lo and behold, KOTOR2 as of late, a game I was willing to play in Boot Camp), and ESO natively supporting OS X is, of course, top. :wink:

I would love to see Bethesda Game Studios finally join the club, too. Alas, it's their toolchain. This is the reason that's given every time the question crops up. Maybe, just maybe, they'll see what their sister studio is doing (and doing right), and someday...

Yeah, of course I know ESO was developed from the get-go with multi-platform support in mind, so the right decisions concerning the selection of SDKs, libraries, tools, etc. where made at a very early point in time. Whereas ES is ancient. :D
    Agreed with you both. It would be great to see the polish and quality of ESO for Mac be echoed into the next iteration of TES. Hopefully they are all paying attention...