The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Exploit report] Player spamming Solar Disturbance in IC; client crashing to boot.

Attorneyatlawl
Attorneyatlawl
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
http://i.imgur.com/ZjJDqGb.jpg
ZjJDqGb.jpg

'Nuff said :). I was attempting to do an in-game /help ticket with the player targeted but couldn't with the hitbox and the ground AOE the boss was casting, as the game client kept crashing every minute or so while this player was spamming his ultimate skill once every ability use (weaving it with basic light attacks). I did observe him die when 20 EP slaughtered him in the middle of it, and then go to recharge his ultimate and continue again with it on enemy players along with the boss. It looked likely that it was crashing other people as well, as I saw a lot of people simply stop moving, then vanish after 20 or 30 seconds ;). Screenshot partially redacted to protect the guilty, and the buff icon spam until the saved variables work again on PTS for saving settings :p.

@ZOS_BrianWheeler, I have multiple screenshots as well including the player's name if you are interested in looking through any logs to figure out how it was being done, but little more info than that and what I wrote here otherwise.
-First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure this player is responsible, and reported the bug, and has absolutely no intentions of using it on live. He's just hashing out the nuances of its use.

Don't worry Attorney, ;)
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering Brian asked people to go crazy with ultimates which AoE maybe that's what this player is doing?
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Considering Brian asked people to go crazy with ultimates which AoE maybe that's what this player is doing?

Perhaps, but he wasn't just spamming it to hit mobs or test... he was actively using it to kill people, and if he died, he went to recharge it and continue. He had been trying to kill the pictured boss for awhile but finally keeled over when the EP had hit him :p.

@Rook_Master (insert agreeing, jumbo-sized sarcastic wink here <3).

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    Ok attorney you got me, serve me my Miranda rights mm k. Went out of my way not to use on anyone unless they were in my path and trying to gank, wasnt targeting opposing factions as the other post indicated. It's a test server, go test stuff instead of being a word smith.
    Edited by brando_bellcub18_ESO on July 31, 2015 2:13PM
    Trixen - DC - Sorc
    Snatch gra-Biddy - DC - Tmp
    Brugmansia - EP - DK
    Vixene - AD - NB
  • Rook_Master
    Rook_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok attorney you got me, serve me my Miranda rights mm k. Went out of my way not to use on anyone unless they were in my path and trying to gank, wasnt targeting opposing factions as the other post indicated. It's a test server, go test stuff instead of being a word smith.

And of course you reported it, right?
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A poster wrote:
    "Ok attorney you got me, serve me my Miranda rights mm k. Went out of my way not to use on anyone unless they were in my path and trying to gank, wasnt targeting opposing factions as the other post indicated. It's a test server, go test stuff instead of being a word smith.

You know, I didn't name for a reason, and not because it's against the rules, but also in case you weren't trying to as it looked. Feel free to edit your post out... it's a bug report, not a witch hunt <3.
    a poster wrote:

Judging by the lack of response to a pair of whispers a few minutes apart, as well as one /say question, and what at least appeared to me to be purposefully aiming his path right into enemies... I doubt it. It would be great if the person decided to PM @ZOS_BrianWheeler, @ZOS_GinaBruno, or @ZOS_JessicaFolsom and co. with the repro steps, instead of simply complaining because it was posted about anonymously instead of having fun glitching it against other players trying to test PVP.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on July 31, 2015 2:34PM

✭✭✭

Don't be a jerk cause u dont agree with him in balance junk. Report the exploit, I was in there saw you using it and was about to come post u up myself. Screw griefing 30 people testing, no wonder with that attitude you have man.
  • brando_bellcub18_ESO
    As always a wordsmith, now go test stuff.
    Trixen - DC - Sorc
    Brugmansia - EP - DK
    Vixene - AD - NB
  • Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You'll probably get banned because ZOS only bans for exploits on the PTS. RIP RedBull.

What kind of question is this lol. We're interrogating other players now :neutral:

Make sure you do report it, though. I'm sure you did, and even if you didn't ZOS has enough reason to inspect your logs and see what caused it.
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if anyway really wanted to abuse such a bug, he wouldn't do it in the most obvious way... on PTS!!!
    I can see why his actions are annoying but this might be the best way to get such stuff fixed.

I'll try some dual (triple?) mundus abuse soon in order to document and report it.
    likewise, overload ability saving, etc.

people SHOULD abuse on PTS. Let's make live a better place!
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    Kasiir Aberion - Sorc (AR38)
    Dr Kastafari - Warden (~AR31)
    + many others
  • Rook_Master
    Rook_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kas wrote: »
    if anyway really wanted to abuse such a bug, he wouldn't do it in the most obvious way... on PTS!!!
    I can see why his actions are annoying but this might be the best way to get such stuff fixed.

I'll try some dual (triple?) mundus abuse soon in order to document and report it.

Judging by the exploiter's juvenile attitude he has demonstrated here, I'd argue that him not saving this exploit for live is due to stupidity and lack of foresight, and not some positive effort to draw attention to the issue.
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Judging by the exploiter's juvenile attitude he has demonstrated here, I'd argue that him not saving this exploit for live is due to stupidity and lack of foresight, and not some positive effort to draw attention to the issue.

oh well :( i havenn't seen it ingame, but i guess i now understood what's going on. too bad. still, i think exploiting (and reporting it) on pts, shouldn't have negative consequences for the player.
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    Kasiir Aberion - Sorc (AR38)
    Dr Kastafari - Warden (~AR31)
    + many others
  • brando_bellcub18_ESO
    Just for the record, during 1.6 PTS I was one of the few that never used the two handed rally skill and still was able to get emp. I am not really into abusing broken things but even during that time I didn't care if people used it or any other of the many many broken things that where in that build. Its the PTS, its a place where exploits should be found and even used as long as they are known about and can be fixed.
    Only my opinion but I don't believe the nova spam actually caused any lag at all, the LOS fix checks ZOS made appear to work really well. There is a alot of crashing going on, but its not from lag, more graphical memory errors looks like to me.
    Trixen - DC - Sorc
    Brugmansia - EP - DK
    Vixene - AD - NB
  • Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm sure this player is responsible, and reported the bug, and has absolutely no intentions of using it on live. He's just hashing out the nuances of its use.

Don't worry Attorney, ;)

Bashing the player before they even had a chance to respond on the thread or explain anything. Mature?

Yeah, you're one to talk.
  • Rook_Master
    Rook_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manoekin wrote: »

Don't worry Attorney, ;)

Bashing the player before they even had a chance to respond on the thread or explain anything. Mature?

They responded only after getting called out in detail by @Attorneyatlawl, after ignoring repeated whispers from him in-game, and even then it was only to insult him for being a "wordsmith", whatever that means.

Other people have posted in the forums about this exact guy, and he never reported the exploit.

Pardon me if I don't think very highly of this person.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Oh, I have been. Thank you for your concern.

Don't worry Attorney, ;)

They responded only after getting called out in detail by @Attorneyatlawl, after ignoring repeated whispers from him in-game, and even then it was only to insult him for being a "wordsmith", whatever that means.

Other people have posted in the forums about this exact guy, and he never reported the exploit.

Hm, A. the picture and description of the exploit avoided naming any person, and avoided showing anything that would identify the player. B. He chose to then self-identify and not only not deny using it, but also make a sarcastic and rude post in reply, despite not being mentioned in the first place. C.If this person has been using it before this morning, and continued doing so today then felt compelled to call himself out and defend killing other players and interfering with game testing because the exploit itself was brought to light, I sincerely doubt he ever intended to not save it for live and have his fun, hoping to avoid a ban once he griefed at the Imperial City launch day. Just my take ;). It's a rather transparent course of action.

And please, @Manoekin. This thread has 14 posts as of this one. It's pretty simple to go to the top of the web page, and scroll down to read the posts in order. No one called someone out specifically. No one even accused anyone of wrongdoing, either, until after that person came forward, claimed to have not been abusing it to interfere with the patch testing in general despite multiple players reporting that not being the truth, and has continued to belt out personal attacks after the fact in this thread alone.

For future reference, in online gaming, "testing" an exploit means seeing it happen once (accidental discovery either by happenstance, or trying to cause it), then confirming it can be reproduced (once, and only once, in a fashion not affecting other testers), and then bug reporting it along with forwarding relevant information to the developers. "Testing" doesn't mean finding an exploit, and then stopping everyone else in that area from gameplay, testing, and staying logged in by crashing them with its abuse.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on July 31, 2015 3:23PM

Trixen - DC - Sorc
    Brugmansia - EP - DK
    Vixene - AD - NB
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Ok everyone, simmer down. :) We'll take a look at the reports in here, and will reach out to the appropriate parties if we need more information. Thank you!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Tonnopesce
    Tonnopesce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok everyone, simmer down. :) We'll take a look at the reports in here, and will reach out to the appropriate parties if we need more information. Thank you!

I've told it in another thread but since...

Due to the lag spikes i get from europe today i was able to spam multiple meteors, maybe is the same issue
    Signature

• Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Oh, I have been. Thank you for your concern.

Don't worry Attorney, ;)

Hm, A. the picture and description of the exploit avoided naming any person, and avoided showing anything that would identify the player. B. He chose to then self-identify and not only not deny using it, but also make a sarcastic and rude post in reply, despite not being mentioned in the first place. C.If this person has been using it before this morning, and continued doing so today then felt compelled to call himself out and defend killing other players and interfering with game testing because the exploit itself was brought to light, I sincerely doubt he ever intended to not save it for live and have his fun, hoping to avoid a ban once he griefed at the Imperial City launch day. Just my take ;). It's a rather transparent course of action.

And please, @Manoekin. This thread has 14 posts as of this one. It's pretty simple to go to the top of the web page, and scroll down to read the posts in order. No one called someone out specifically. No one even accused anyone of wrongdoing, either, until after that person came forward, claimed to have not been abusing it to interfere with the patch testing in general despite multiple players reporting that not being the truth, and has continued to belt out personal attacks after the fact in this thread alone.

For future reference, in online gaming, "testing" an exploit means seeing it happen once (accidental discovery either by happenstance, or trying to cause it), then confirming it can be reproduced (once, and only once, in a fashion not affecting other testers), and then bug reporting it along with forwarding relevant information to the developers. "Testing" doesn't mean finding an exploit, and then stopping everyone else in that area from gameplay, testing, and staying logged in by crashing them with its abuse.

What a community ambassador you are.

First off, I knew who you were accusing because I'm not dumb and looked at your chat box. Your whisper box is still visible as is the name of the player you were whispering. It's not hard to figure out from your post and the picture who it was. You are naming and shaming.

Second, you claim he is able to reproduce this willingly without knowing the true facts. Almost every player in the 1.6 PTS abused the damage stacking bug. It was not a bug just associated with 2H weapons, although 2H weapons made it easier to do. It was not a choice, it was a flaw in the game. I'm just not willing to go out and say "this person is abusing an exploit" when I know such errors occur in the game. I've seen the screenshots and it does look like the novas are on bosses/NPC's and not players. If the players want to attack someone with unlimited ulti, that's their fault. People even accused him of the crashes which is just absurd.

Lastly, the bolded part. Winks and nods in several posts. We can read between the lines. Stop trying to act high and mighty here. Whether or not you specifically mentioned their name in the post does not mean you weren't accusing anyone. Your actions after they posted only further proves that.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Guys, please don't resort to personal attacks; it's not needed. Let's keep this on topic.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Guys, please don't resort to personal attacks; it's not needed. Let's keep this on topic.

Thanks for popping in. I do want to note, for the record, that the picture in the starting post of this thread is the only one I've provided here, and was fully censored to not show in any area of the screen a player name. The chat box is whited out, as are the hotbars, my quest tracker area and MSI Afterburner overlay (an overclocking and system stats utility for temperatures, clock speeds, and such), and the target in the screenshot is the boss monster being attacked, in an effort to show the exploit and that alone.

EDIT @ 11:46am EDT: I did review it just now and realized I had forgotten to clip my last whisper recipient box, however. That was not intentional, but without context as to who was fighting where as in the screenshot I chose, that accidental inclusion doesn't reveal any information as to the player in question in the OP.

EDIT 2: @ZOS_GinaBruno, I also did check more of my screenshots to see if I'd snapped it being used on other players in some of them, and it indeed was:

http://i.imgur.com/UZaiICv.jpg
    UZaiICv.jpg

:) Observe the particle effect trail from the top of the screen starting towards the right part of the compass, and you can see it was directly being re-cast at directly on top of an enemy faction player in that screenshot, to boot.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on July 31, 2015 3:57PM

Edited by brando_bellcub18_ESO on July 31, 2015 3:48PM
    Trixen - DC - Sorc
    Brugmansia - EP - DK
    Vixene - AD - NB
  • Smiteye
    Smiteye
    ✭✭✭

I know attorney irl, & played with him in beta some. He is ridiculously thorough, like.... Dont have a damn clue how he does it talented. I saw the thing in question happening & apparently the second shot he posted shows it happening.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Due to the lag spikes i get from europe today i was able to spam multiple meteors, maybe is the same issue

This is very clearly not the case, including in the screenshots I posted (and have more of) where you can see it is clearly, deliberately, and carefully, being done in a large circle as the player moves around the main part of the area, dragging the boss monster through the line to maximize his damage. Additionally, he threw casts of the Solar Disturbances onto any enemy players that approached, as is also visible in the second one I provided here. The second screenshot is a bit further away and makes the exact pattern more readily visible.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on July 31, 2015 4:14PM

✭✭✭✭✭

This is very clearly not the case, including in the screenshots I posted (and have more of) where you can see it is clearly, deliberately, and carefully, being done in a large circle as the player moves around the main part of the area, dragging the boss monster through the line to maximize his damage. Additionally, he threw casts of the Solar Disturbances onto any enemy players that approached, as is also visible in the second one I provided here. The second screenshot is a bit further away and makes the exact pattern more readily visible.

From what i saw (and i was there too when this happened) he was " following the boss" that was running in circles i the big road (since i belive a thing 7 meters tall cannot go in the small ones because of a script) , i've got the aggro (for no REASON...) of that boss many times and his movement are heavly scripted, SO from what i saw (again) he was following the boss while casting the ultimate, and in addition i've runned tru his ultimate many times and i was'nt taking any damage
    Signature

• Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

From what i saw (and i was there too when this happened) he was " following the boss" that was running in circles i the big road (since i belive a thing 7 meters tall cannot go in the small ones because of a script) , i've got the aggro (for no REASON...) of that boss many times and his movement are heavly scripted, SO from what i saw (again) he was following the boss while casting the ultimate, and in addition i've runned tru his ultimate many times and i was'nt taking any damage

The boss does actually agro on players, and mostly sticks to the one doing the most damage when no taunt is applied (ESO has some wonky hidden agro mechanics in relation to distance from an enemy target that are beyond the scope of this thread, :)). It was being kited through, while walking backwards and facing the boss to maximize the time it spent inside of the long string of Solar Disturbance ultimates, as it was repeatedly casted. The pathing was explicitly and deliberately planned to allow for this exact abuse. It does not appear, on its own, to do anything else than other melee monsters do, which is to take the shortest pathing route directly to the target it wants to attack. This player was not following the boss: the boss was following him, just the same as everything else does. So, having agro, this person slowly backpedaled, dropping down the Solar Disturbances constantly on top of himself except when someone else came near, and made the boss continually run through them slowly, hesitating slightly and regularly to maximize the time it spent in the overlapping portions of the Solars to try to kill it more quickly.

When enemy players approached, the player attempted to instead reposition some of his casts directly on top of them to kill them and avoid being interfered with in glitching the boss, simultaneously making the entire area unusable for regular PVP testing. Given this is not normal gameplay and only the result of using an exploit or other unintended bug to cause it, I would be entirely unsurprised if some of the individual Solar Disturbance ultimates didn't register their damage properly due to any number of abnormal interactions in the code as it isn't expected behavior at design-time and you can't catch every edge case in codebases on the scale of an MMORPG. Lacking a damage hit on some of the times you ran through doesn't indicate anything in and of itself :). You can observe that the player in the second screenshot I have posted (I can only guess the poor soul unwittingly ran in to see if it was just a visual bug :p) was nearly dead in very short order on his overhead health bar from the damage right as another Solar Disturbance was dropped on top of his head at the same time. Normally, I wouldn't be too fussed with detailing the issue as a defense like I am in this thread, but considering there are calls being made claiming abuse and wrongdoing for simply reporting an exploit here, I want to make sure the facts are not ambiguous in any way.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on July 31, 2015 5:02PM

✭✭✭✭✭

Skipping the rest of this argument/bug report... That boss seemed to chase me a lot when I was only healing. Not sure if his script has him target healers after anyone who has taunted, but I actually kited him for 5-7 min, until the opposing faction killed me, while my faction tried to kill him and I spammed Mutagen/Healing Springs as I got magic..
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Tonnopesce
    Tonnopesce
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The boss does actually agro on players, and mostly sticks to the one doing the most damage when no taunt is applied (ESO has some wonky hidden agro mechanics in relation to distance from an enemy target that are beyond the scope of this thread, :)). It was being kited through, while walking backwards and facing the boss to maximize the time it spent inside of the long string of Solar Disturbance ultimates, as it was repeatedly casted. The pathing was explicitly and deliberately planned to allow for this exact abuse.

When enemy players approached, the player attempted to instead reposition some of his casts directly on top of them to kill them and avoid being interfered with in glitching the boss, simultaneously making the entire area unusable for regular PVP testing. Given this is not normal gameplay and only the result of using an exploit or other unintended bug to cause it, I would be entirely unsurprised if some of the individual Solar Disturbance ultimates didn't register their damage properly due to any number of abnormal interactions in the code as it isn't expected behavior at design-time and you can't catch every edge case in codebases on the scale of an MMORPG. Lacking a damage hit on some of the times you ran through doesn't indicate anything in and of itself :).

Quick edit...

I was not there... or i mean i was there with the other boss who came before this one (the big fat skeletron), my bad i've readed the title and your thread without seing the images.

But since the same thing was happening even when i was online (more or less 40 minutes before) we can agree that is not something that can happen from times to times, THIS specific player has a bad habit but this is still no reason to go wild has it is happened in this thread.

I do agree with you that taking or not damage is not an excuse for what has happened but we are still in the PTS so evrything we find ( and tanks to this player who is not hiding this specific exploit) we can avoid that come out in the live servers, just take it easy... (not you but evryone)
    Edited by Tonnopesce on July 31, 2015 5:04PM
    Signature

• brando_bellcub18_ESO
    I was tanking the boss on the inner circle of the oval where the npc spawns are using a taunt on the sweeper to keep agro and stay out of the aoe fire., doing laps you could say. Most peeps pvping in that zone instance stay to the outer circle street near their spawn points but seeing all those Nova's going off would of coarse attract attention, wouldn't you want to see Death Race 2000 ESO IC style?
    Edited by brando_bellcub18_ESO on July 31, 2015 5:05PM
    Trixen - DC - Sorc
    Brugmansia - EP - DK
    Vixene - AD - NB
This discussion has been closed.