Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Awesome tip to farming crux

Cavedog
Cavedog
✭✭✭✭✭
I couldn't find this information anywhere, and I'm pretty sure it's accurate. At any rate, the strategy is working well for me.

So here is how and why I'm doing so good at farming crux. First off, if you don't already know, the ONLY place to get crux is in Northern Craglorn. Keep in mind that shadowhide is also a material that counts and could lead to a crux drop, so some beasts can lead to a crux drop too. All crafting material nodes can drop crux.

Ok, so there is a given drop rate for crux. I think the drop rate for crux is right about 1 crux for every 500 units of materials harvested, give or take 100. I don't know what the exact drop rate is for crux, but let's call it X to keep with basic algebra notation. So, since voidbloom nodes typically drop the most units of the material, usually 5-7 units, then the liklihood of getting a crux at a voidbloom node is 5 to 7 times X. Nightwood is the second best, with an average of 4-6 units of material per node, so the liklihood of getting a crux is 4 to 6 times X at a nightwood node. Voidstone averages 3-4 units per node, so 3-4X at a voidstone node. And finally, enchanting and alchemy nodes average 1-2 units per node, so liklihood of getting a crux at those nodes is the least, at 1-2 times X.

So, the take home message is focus on voidbloom, nightwood, then voidstone, in that order, and you will maximize your crux farming effort. A really fast horse and darting from valuable nodes and ignoring the enchanting and alchemy nodes seems to work best, especially when N. Craglorn is crowded with farmers. (basically, I suggest farming only in off peak times. Combat farming sucks)

And finally, if you have a perk that increases the number of units of material per node that gets dropped, then that should increase your likelihood of a crux dropping proportionally to the perk.

I hope this helps someone. I'd estimate this strategy cuts my time between crux drops by about half compared to harvesting every node.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cavedog wrote: »
    First off, if you don't already know, the ONLY place to get crux is in Northern Craglorn.

The recent Xbox Patch now gives you a chance to farm Nirncrux from any Rich Node, in other words any Craglorn Equipment Mat Survey Location. I can only assume this is the same for the PS4 and PC/Mac platforms, but I can not find in the patch notes for the PC where they made this change.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Amarynth
    Amarynth
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious about that, too, Nestor, since I've never received crux from a survey in Lower Crag. I'm on PC.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get nirncrux by opening a lot of nodes in Upper Craglorn, not by how many of something else you find in those nodes. When you are the first person to open a node, the game randomly determines the content. This includes nirncrux, no matter what else is in that node or in what quantity.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You get nirncrux by opening a lot of nodes in Upper Craglorn, not by how many of something else you find in those nodes. When you are the first person to open a node, the game randomly determines the content. This includes nirncrux, no matter what else is in that node or in what quantity.

Yes, it would be nice if you had your own drop rate but it doesn't work like that.

Also, you don't get nirn from enchanting or alchemy nodes, but I have heard you can get them from welva packs - not seen it myself though.

And another thing :)

There are two types of nirn - fortified and potent - one for weapons, the other for armour. I believe that voidbloom only drops the one for armour, whereas voidstone and nightwood drop both.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes, it would be nice if you had your own drop rate but it doesn't work like that.

Also, you don't get nirn from enchanting or alchemy nodes, but I have heard you can get them from welva packs - not seen it myself though.

And another thing :)

There are two types of nirn - fortified and potent - one for weapons, the other for armour. I believe that voidbloom only drops the one for armour, whereas voidstone and nightwood drop both.

I'm sure I've gotten Potent Nirn from voidbloom. I will grant that it is less common from voidbloom, but either type nirn can come from any qualified source. I recently got a potent and a fortified from the same clothier survey. Feeling my RNG that day. B)
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Cavedog wrote: »
    First off, if you don't already know, the ONLY place to get crux is in Northern Craglorn.

The recent Xbox Patch now gives you a chance to farm Nirncrux from any Rich Node, in other words any Craglorn Equipment Mat Survey Location. I can only assume this is the same for the PS4 and PC/Mac platforms, but I can not find in the patch notes for the PC where they made this change.

Sure would be nice to get an official confirmation on this. I made several complaints about Lower Crag surveys not dropping nirn. It seemed ridiculous to have surveys with no chance of getting nirn when the chance of getting surveys themselves was very slim. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_GaryA , did PC patch allow for nirn from Lower Craglorn equipment surveys? Or was that only changed on Xbox?
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Eleusian
    Eleusian
    ✭✭✭
    The update notes for console stated any viable crafting source in Lower crag not just from the surveys. I spent several hours in Lower Crag farming nodes over the weekend without any luck. Course drop rate is so low could be bad luck. Can anyone confirm
    PS4 NA
  • arowz
    arowz
    Nirncrux drops only from void bloom/nightwood/voidstone nodes in upper craglorn. I've heard the chatter about welwas dropping nirn, but I've slaughtered hundreds and no such luck.

Rich nodes for void bloom/nightwood/voidstone from surveys have a chance of dropping nirncrux no matter where they are located.

Alchemy/Enchanting nodes do not drop nirncrux.

In my experience, I've been getting 2-3 nirncrux a day after serious farming. Somewhere along the lines of 200-300 of each of raw wood/ore/bloom nets 2-3 nirncrux.

Potent Nirncrux has been extremely rare, with me only receiving 2 total.

Survey nodes appear to me to be the highest chance of dropping a nirncrux, with my personal experience being a 50% chance to get a nirncrux for each survey I complete, with that being a 50% chance to get a nirncrux on one and only one of any of the nodes created via the survey.
  • Eleusian
    Eleusian
    ✭✭✭
    arowz wrote: »
    Nirncrux drops only from void bloom/nightwood/voidstone nodes in upper craglorn. I've heard the chatter about welwas dropping nirn, but I've slaughtered hundreds and no such luck.

Rich nodes for void bloom/nightwood/voidstone from surveys have a chance of dropping nirncrux no matter where they are located.

In my experience, I've been getting 2-3 nirncrux a day after serious farming. Somewhere along the lines of 200-300 of each of raw wood/ore/bloom nets 2-3 nirncrux.

Survey nodes appear to me to be the highest chance of dropping a nirncrux, with my personal experience being a 50% chance to get a nirncrux for each survey I complete, with that being a 50% chance to get a nirncrux on one and only one of any of the nodes created via the survey.

Here's last update note 4 ps4 , xb1 is same.

Crafting & Economy
    General
    -Fixed an issue where Raw Ironweed and Raw Silverweed could be used from your inventory, causing you to wave your arms and produce a magical effect.
    -Nirncrux can now be obtained from all rich ore, rich wood and rich cloth harvest nodes in Craglorn, not just the ones in the upper reaches of the zone, and not just from the highest tiers of material.
    -Fixed a rare issue that was causing potion tooltips to be slightly lower than intended when using potion duration boosting enchantments.
    PS4 NA
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    arowz wrote: »

... and what server are you on?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • SLy_Kyti
    SLy_Kyti
    ✭✭✭✭
    On the PC you can get either form of Nirncrux regardless of being cloth/wood or ore. As noted, potent drops the least often.

My own months and months of gathering has shown me that one of my characters will never get any. Ever. Never.Ever.
    My other two characters (maxed clothing/wood/blacksmithing and Vet leveled as well) will get approximately one per five hundred nodes looted. Sometimes less, sometimes more nodes needed to get one Nirn.

Thanks to the OP for their tips. Perseverance is key.

Edited for clarity.
    Edited by SLy_Kyti on August 3, 2015 9:17PM
    Master Crafter: Almost all motifs
    GM~ Blades of Old Tamriel NA/AD
    Member~ NZAD
    Member~ Blades of Vengeance NA/AD
    -Tamriel College -Amazing Deals of Nirn-
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a look into this thread .
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Kajimano_ESO
    Your a little off with how many raw materials drop from nodes
    Blacksmith ore nodes: 3-4
    Woodworking nodes: 3-4
    Clothier cloth nodes: 3-4
    Clothier hide drops: ~1-2

Though nirncrux has not been known to drop from animal hide drops just nodes.

So essentially no matter what node you pick up (ore, wood, cloth) your chances of gettin nirncrux is the same

The only time you will experience 7 mats from a node is if you have the perk from the champion system, which has a 10% chance to make gathering 1 node gives you 2 nodes worth of materials