The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Nirn Trait

krees28b14_ESO
krees28b14_ESO
✭✭✭
So where is the best place to farm the nirn stones needed for the weapons and armor ? I know they come from upper Craglorn but where do you find them? Also, there has to be weapons and armor that drop somewhere with the trait already on it so people can research it. Do I have to run a particular delve, mine or something for a small chance for a drop so I can research the trait?
  • Lifsteinn
    Lifsteinn
    ✭✭✭
    From nodes.

Ore, wood, cloth and enchant nodes. Where you extract them.
    Upper Craglorn only.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You get one piece of nirn gear when you finish the main quest in upper craglorn. The rest you have to get by trading.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can also go to nirncrux mines in Upper Craglorn, defeat waves of enemies and a boss. At the end you have a chance to get nirnhoned pieces from the chest but you will need 2-3 people to do this. I believe you need to activate the barrels near the trolls so they explode and the final boss spawns.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • krees28b14_ESO
    krees28b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everybody. Much appreciated.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also go to nirncrux mines in Upper Craglorn, defeat waves of enemies and a boss. At the end you have a chance to get nirnhoned pieces from the chest but you will need 2-3 people to do this. I believe you need to activate the barrels near the trolls so they explode and the final boss spawns.
    I think this is false information. Have you actually got a nirnhoned item from the ironcrux mines? I tested this when nirncrux started. We farmed the mines few days totalling to hundreds of end loot chances but nobody succeeded. Anyway it doesn't matter any longer because every nirn item is in circulation and nodes give best chances for crux.

Heavy sacks can give nirncrux. I have got one in upprer Craglorn and i double checked it from shadowplay video.But yeah, just once.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    I think this is false information. Have you actually got a nirnhoned item from the ironcrux mines? I tested this when nirncrux started. We farmed the mines few days totalling to hundreds of end loot chances but nobody succeeded. Anyway it doesn't matter any longer because every nirn item is in circulation and nodes give best chances for crux.

Heavy sacks can give nirncrux. I have got one in upprer Craglorn and i double checked it from shadowplay video.But yeah, just once.

I havent tried it myself but I was told there was a chance for nirnhoned items, dont know how big (if any) the chance would be though.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the mines dropped Nirns, then everyone would be at the mines.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Same, we also tried that, the mines give nothing special.
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Would that be such a bad thing? The mines aren't easy to solo, much harder than anomalies in my opinion. Man, throwing us a piece of Nirncrux seems like the least ZoS could do, but apparently it isn't. Yet another example of rewards in this game not matching the difficulty of the task.

Edited by Emma_Overload on May 7, 2015 5:13PM
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Would that be such a bad thing? The mines aren't easy to solo, much harder than anomalies in my opinion. Man, throwing us a piece of Nirncrux seems like the least ZoS could do, but apparently it isn't. Yet another example of rewards in this game not matching the difficulty of the task.

It would be great.

I was just pointing out to the OP that there would be hordes of people in and around the mines. Though I am not sure if the mine itself is a group or public instance, I have never bothered to find out since I know it won't get me any Nirn.

Trust me, as someone who saw some Nirncrux for 16000 in a guild kiosk only to see it sold out from under me in 10 seconds and then faced with only being able to buy it for 21000 (and I needed 5) it really sucks. Nirn does not drop for me and I have done some determined farming up there lately. I have farmed for rare things, I am patient, but not patient enough for this stuff.

• vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭

It would be great.

I was just pointing out to the OP that there would be hordes of people in and around the mines. Though I am not sure if the mine itself is a group or public instance, I have never bothered to find out since I know it won't get me any Nirn.

Trust me, as someone who saw some Nirncrux for 16000 in a guild kiosk only to see it sold out from under me in 10 seconds and then faced with only being able to buy it for 21000 (and I needed 5) it really sucks. Nirn does not drop for me and I have done some determined farming up there lately. I have farmed for rare things, I am patient, but not patient enough for this stuff.

Do more writs. For regular mine in UC nirncrux probability is ~1/400. For the lush mine in survey - 1/80. It is not much, but much higher than in regular mines. Blacksmith, clothing and woodwork - only those are giving nirncrux. And if you are lucky and get it in writ - you will get two - one fortified and one potent. They are always in pairs in writs...

Hope it helps.
    Edited by vovus69 on May 7, 2015 7:48PM
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reach out to me @Nestor. I've had much better luck farming nirncrux. I'm sure we can come to some agreement as fellow guild mates.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lifsteinn wrote: »
    From nodes.

Upper Craglorn only.

I've got a huge inventory of runes from Upper Craglorn, but I've never pulled any nirncrux from rune nodes. Unless someone confirms this, I'd say this is inaccurate. I've never seen anything in patch notes saying this is possible. However, I've also never seen official notes about nirncrux from heavy bags, and I did get nirncrux from a heavy bag. Once.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • gwillard_ESO
    gwillard_ESO
    ✭✭
    Am I understanding correctly? You can get nirn stones from gathering wood and cloth nodes in upper Craglorn. Thought it was just ore nodes.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »

I've got a huge inventory of runes from Upper Craglorn, but I've never pulled any nirncrux from rune nodes.

Based on the number of Rune Nodes I see in Upper Craglorn, I would have to say they don't drop Nirncrux at all. I can barely find any Wood, Cloth or Ore nodes up there because of the farmers. But Rune Nodes? UC is an Enchanters Farming Paradise.
    Am I understanding correctly? You can get nirn stones from gathering wood and cloth nodes in upper Craglorn. Thought it was just ore nodes.

Any of the Equipment Nodes, so yes all 3.

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any of the Equipment Nodes, so yes all 3.

Correct : cloth, wood, stone nodes ... AND also heavy bags and chests (not closed chests, open coffers), PLUS mobs that drop leather.
    Enchanting nodes ? Never.

If you're not sure if you're in upper Craglorn or lower Craglorn look at the levels of the mobs around you : in UC they're VR13, in LC they're VR11.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're not sure if you're in upper Craglorn or lower Craglorn look at the levels of the mobs around you : in UC they're VR13, in LC they're VR11.

I think it is the Destinations mod, but it puts a red line in the Craglorn zone so you can see the divide, that helps too. I have wandered from Upper to lower before while farming (as I tend to avoid the mobs on the two characters that do the most farming up there)

• krees28b14_ESO
    krees28b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    As the OP I thought I should ring in on what I have found so far. The crux stones are very rare. Sometimes you will go a couple hours without finding one stone. Other times you will find 3-4 in an hour, more if lucky. I found mine from clothing, wood and ore nodes. No alchemy or enchanting nodes have dropped one at all. Not sure where to find the gear with the trait on it already yet. Someone did say you get a random piece from finishing the main quest line in UC. Not sure as I have not done it yet. But, from what I know if you need pieces for research it seems you can ask in your guilds and someone will probably have a nirn trait or two and would make it for you for free or a couple thousand gold. (you will be supplying the stone of course)
  • neueregel
    neueregel
    ✭✭✭
    Lifsteinn wrote: »
    From nodes.

Upper Craglorn only.

I've got a huge inventory of runes from Upper Craglorn, but I've never pulled any nirncrux from rune nodes. Unless someone confirms this, I'd say this is inaccurate. I've never seen anything in patch notes saying this is possible. However, I've also never seen official notes about nirncrux from heavy bags, and I did get nirncrux from a heavy bag. Once.

Yeah, there was an argument in Crag zone chat last week that you can find them in enchanting nodes... I have looted probably many hundreds of these since nirn was added in upper crag and never saw any nirn from an enchanting node... why would it drop from that anyways, you cant use a nirn mat in enchanting... yeah and you can get them from butterfly's and killing sheep too....
    Are you not entertained?
    On my command, unleash hell!
    What we do in life echoes in eternity
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As the OP I thought I should ring in on what I have found so far. The crux stones are very rare. Sometimes you will go a couple hours without finding one stone. Other times you will find 3-4 in an hour, more if lucky. I found mine from clothing, wood and ore nodes. No alchemy or enchanting nodes have dropped one at all. Not sure where to find the gear with the trait on it already yet. Someone did say you get a random piece from finishing the main quest line in UC. Not sure as I have not done it yet. But, from what I know if you need pieces for research it seems you can ask in your guilds and someone will probably have a nirn trait or two and would make it for you for free or a couple thousand gold. (you will be supplying the stone of course)

A couple hours? I haven't found one now since the last patch, over 8 hours of speed farming... The random number generator is borked.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have likewise NOT gotten any Nirncrux from enchanting nodes.
    Someone did say you get a random piece from finishing the main quest line in UC.

^This is correct, you get a purple Nirnhoned item.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my understanding of nirnhoned sources after farming more than hundred.

Nirn drop:
    - 80% (guesstimate) nirncruxes comes from farming nightwood, void bloom and void stone in upper Craglorn. Nodes drop either potent or fortified. Fortified drops more often. I think Plentiful Harvest increases chances to get nirn because when it procs (10% chance) the node is looted twice giving second chance for nirn.
    - 20% comes through writs if done daily. But this is connected to the first because writs need mats. While writ nodes have five times higher chance they drop way less because of daily limit of writs.
    - very rarely from heavy sacks.
    - one random nirnhoned trait item as end reward from upper Craglorn questline. Alternatively buy or trade a nirn trait. Every trait is available.

No nirn from
    - nirncrux mines. Few days farming gave none. I think the reward chest is like any other chest.
    - runestones. None after harvesting thousands.
    - welwas. None after harvesting thousands.
    - outside upper Craglorn.
    - any other rumored source. Goes to religious zone.

On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • krees28b14_ESO
    krees28b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

A couple hours? I haven't found one now since the last patch, over 8 hours of speed farming... The random number generator is borked.

That happened to me the first day I went out there. Farmed for about 5 hours and did not get a damn thing. Next day I was there for about three hours and walked away with 3 fortified and 4 potency nirncruxes. I agree with you the rng is horrible and we need a better way of getting gear with the trait on it already so it can be researched and an easier way to get the stones. I have not seen many pieces of gear in guild stores with the nirn trait. Most common to find is chest (light, medium, and heavy) bow and flame staff. What about everything else? I have asked in zone chat and get no response when I ask for helmet, shoulders or belt. All I can do is keep asking in hopes I just catch the right guy one day.
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. This is my experience too. I have yet to find one nirncrux since last patch. There's no way drop rate is 5%. Get ready to pay big bucks for nirncrux & nirnhoned items. Scarcity will likely drive price up from 16-18k into the 30-40k range maybe further. I already see nirnhoned selling for up to 26k in a lot of guild stores. And its also making farming a viciously competitive game. If you don't have a horse and speed potions/spells don't even bother coming out.You lose out on every single node and it'll just be an exercise in frustration. :/
    I don't comment here often but when I do, I get [snip]
  • Haxnschwammer
    Haxnschwammer
    ✭✭✭✭
    On EU server at craglorn you can buy nirnhoned around 35-40 k per piece...
    potent nirncrux around 30K, fortified around 25k.

Btw drop rate for nirncrux is afaik 0.25% per node or 1.25% per survey node.
    Once I was a healer. Then I took a Wrobel to the knee.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ONE after harvestings thousands.
    I'm 100% sure, I even checked twice to make sure it came from the welvas i had just killed.

Not that it makes a noticeable difference : you don't efficiently farm nirncrux by killing mobs ! But still, it happens. Makes sense though : you can craft nirnhoned leather, so it's only logical that the stone drops from these mats too.

• helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm 100% sure, I even checked twice to make sure it came from the welvas i had just killed.

Not that it makes a noticeable difference : you don't efficiently farm nirncrux by killing mobs ! But still, it happens. Makes sense though : you can craft nirnhoned leather, so it's only logical that the stone drops from these mats too.

Ok, welwas move to reality zone in my list. I was cautious making the non-existence list, because of RNG. Thank you! It seems that nirncrux is in trait items loottable with very low probability. It kind of matches the few drops from heavy sacks, which drop trait items too.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Ok, welwas move to reality zone in my list. I was cautious making the non-existence list, because of RNG. Thank you! It seems that nirncrux is in trait items loottable with very low probability. It kind of matches the few drops from heavy sacks, which drop trait items too.

If this is true, I fear for the extinction of welwas. :#

PC/NA/DC
  • Arkadius
    Arkadius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hehe.. you must be playing on another EU server than me. Or you just took the most expensive prices as an example. There are stores in Craglorn that sell nirnhoned armor for 28-30k and weapons for 33-35k.

It's true. Nirncruxes can indeed drop from welvas. It also seems, that many people haven't recognized yet that herb nodes can also drop them. I found my very first one inside some blessed thistle

• Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xiana wrote: »

Hehe.. you must be playing on another EU server than me. Or you just took the most expensive prices as an example. There are stores in Craglorn that sell nirnhoned armor for 28-30k and weapons for 33-35k.

It's true. Nirncruxes can indeed drop from welvas. It also seems, that many people haven't recognized yet that herb nodes can also drop them. I found my very first one inside some blessed thistle

Many people say that it is impossible, but I also got one from a plant node I was almost certain. Next time gonna screenshot it