Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New player, need help.

stephenmenace
stephenmenace
Soul Shriven
Hello,
So first things first, I'm new to ESO and pretty new to MMORPGs in general.

As a New player I have a few questions regarding what class to pick. I don't want to end up picking a class and then leveling them all the way up to endgame and the class be useless.

So my questions are,
1. Is every class good for endgame?
2. I prefer to be a distance fighter, which class would best fit a beginner for that?
3. If distance fighting isn't really that viable in endgame then what close up fighter is good for a beginner?
4. Are there any good guides to follow for a beginner who wants to build a casual character who will do good in endgame?

Basically I want to have a good character for endgame for my first character, that way when I make a second character I'll get a good idea of what a good build would look like.

I've read that most people say "play what looks fun to you" but I also want something that will be worth it on the long run.

Also, I also don't know how to build a good character (obviously) so if every class is good could someone provide with a detailed description on how to build it? Or at least a guide?

Any help is appreciated!
Thank you!

P.S. I'm on PS4
Edited by stephenmenace on July 8, 2015 5:46PM
  • rb2001
    rb2001
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello,
    So first things first, I'm new to ESO and pretty new to IMPROVe in general.

As a New player I have a few questions regarding what class to pick. I don't want to end up picking a class and then leveling them all the way up to endgame and the class be useless.

So my questions are,
    2. I prefer to be a distance fighter, which class would best fit a beginner for that?
    3. If distance fighting isn't really that viable in endgame then what close up fighter is good for a beginner?
    4. Are there any good guides to follow for a beginner who wants to build a casual character who will do good in endgame?

Basically I want to have a good character for endgame for my first account, that way when I make a second account I'll get a good idea of what a good build would look like.

I've read that most people say "play what looks fun to you" but I also want something that will be worth it on the long run.

Also, I also don't know how to build a good character (obviously) so if every class is good could someone provide with a detailed description on how to build it? Or at least a guide?

Any help is appreciated!
    Thank you!

1. You don't need to worry about this. Enjoy the game. You can always respec. Any class is fine for anything, as it changes monthly which is the "best".

Don't rush and miss the whole ride thinking about the end of it.

2. Honestly, any, but you sound like you want to play a Sorceror.

3. Not a relevant question (see above answers). Play what will be the most fun for you, not what will be better than other players in some scenario and time period (and then change next update).

4. Don't use guides! Explore, try new things. You are a human. You have a powerful mind. The game is self-evident, and will reveal all by playing, and you'll have fun and surprise that way.

General response: Make a sorcerer that you will be happy to invest time into, and explore the world. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing or saying, because that's all flavor of the month, unattainable rubbish.

Learn to play by playing. Make your own path. Don't go copy a build, for goodness sake. Try things out and find out things that others may not know. Don't be a Nicolas Cage copy of a copy of a copy.

Most importantly, have fun. Communicate with other players in game. Ask them for help, in game. Use Roleplay. Act like your character. Be your character.

Edit: For PS4, the last paragraph is probably unlikely to be valid.
    Edited by rb2001 on July 8, 2015 5:56PM
  • stephenmenace
    stephenmenace
    Soul Shriven
    rb2001 wrote: »
    Hello,

So my questions are,

Basically I want to have a good character for endgame for my first account, that way when I make a second account I'll get a good idea of what a good build would look like.

Any help is appreciated!
    Thank you!

1. You don't need to worry about this. Enjoy the game. You can always respec. Any class is fine for anything, as it changes monthly which is the "best".

3. Not a relevant question (see above answers). Play what will be the most fun for you, not what will be better than other players in some scenario and time period (and then change next update).

4. Don't use guides! Explore, try new things. You are a human. You have a powerful mind. The game is self-evident, and will reveal all by playing, and you'll have fun and surprise that way.

General response: Make a sorcerer that you will be happy to invest time into, and explore the world. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing or saying, because that's all flavor of the month, unattainable rubbish.

Learn to play by playing. Make your own path. Don't go copy a build, for goodness sake. Try things out and find out things that others may not know. Don't be a Nicolas Cage copy of a copy of a copy.

Most importantly, have fun. Communicate with other players in game. Ask them for help, in game. Use Roleplay. Act like your character. Be your character.

Hey thanks man! Well I started a nightblade archer a few nights ago and I think I like him. I'm only level 7, might do a bow/2h build. Any tips ppb applying
  • rb2001
    rb2001
    ✭✭✭✭
    rb2001 wrote: »
    Hello,

So my questions are,

Any help is appreciated!
    Thank you!

Hey thanks man! Well I started a nightblade archer a few nights ago and I think I like him. I'm only level 7, might do a bow/2h build. Any tips ppb applying
    • Just play like a boss.
    • Find friends you work well with.
    • Don't be Nic Cage.
    • NBs make great archers.
    • 2H is great, too, but you might also consider DW.
    Edited by rb2001 on July 8, 2015 8:37PM
  • stephenmenace
    stephenmenace
    Soul Shriven
    I meant to say applying attributes. Lol but okay, I'll just be my own style of character. Thanks a lot!
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    @stephenmenace For your archer, I'd recommend dropping most of your points into stamina, perhaps a few in health for survivability. I love the bow; here are a few skills I use that you might look into getting and trying out:

Venom Arrow (morph of Poison Arrow)-- The interrupt is invaluable.

Scorched Earth (morph of Volley)-- situational skill, don't have it on my bar all the time, requires kiting the enemies

Bombard (morph of Arrow Spray)-- love this one, AoE that causes immobilization for a few seconds

Magnum Shot (morph of Scatter Shot)-- great for putting distance between you and a charging enemy.

Snipe-- everybody's favorite. Either morph will work.

Reaping Mark (morph of Mark Target, NB skill)

Relentless Focus (morph of Grim Focus, NB skill)

Evil Hunter (morph of Expert Hunter, Fighters Guild skill tree)

You'll probably want to roll mostly medium armor for the stamina bonus. You also want to stack your weapon critical damage and chance with a mundus stone and passives.

Hope that helps :)

• stephenmenace
    stephenmenace
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks man! So a secondary should be DW or 2H?
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    @stephenmenace That's up to you. Either one is a good choice. 2h does some pretty crazy damage, but is slower than DW and is more single-target. DW has some awesome AoE (Steel Tornado) and is quicker, and it also has some passives that increase critical damage (if you go with dual daggers). Just choose the one you think 'fits' your character best. I'm personally going with DW on my Bow NB as my secondary because I think it works well with the way I built my character.

Also, as a helpful tip, you can level 2 (or more even) weapon skill trees at the same time. You don't even need to have weapon swapping unlocked yet to do so. If you can free up a slot on your bar, buy and assign a DW or 2h skill (depending on which you picked, doesn't matter which) onto your bar. That DW/2h ability will be worthless to you since you'll be using your Bow as your equipped weapon, but every time you earn XP from quests/killing stuff, you'll also earn XP towards both bow AND DW/2h. I've been doing this on my Templar to level Resto staff and 2h simultaneously, which has saved me a lot of time and grinding. I have a few passives purchased in each tree as well, and though I'm primarily using 2h for solo questing, my restoration staff has leveled up equally as fast.

Happy to help. Hope you find this insightful :)
  • stephenmenace
    stephenmenace
    Soul Shriven
    So far I feel like the archer is weak :/ if enemies get to close I get destroyed
  • ConvictedRambo
    So far I feel like the archer is weak :/ if enemies get to close I get destroyed

Duel class man. Once your level 15 swap between bow and melee weapons. Specialize in both.
    "Live free, or die trying."
    XBOX ONE
    GT:
    WAR DADDY RAMBO
  • ConvictedRambo
    i.e. I run with a 2H / bow combo and a 1H + S / bow combo on my DK and Templar. Very easy to balance out the ability bar as well. by end game, you hand plenty of skill points to go around between two weapon options.
    "Live free, or die trying."
    XBOX ONE
    GT:
    WAR DADDY RAMBO
  • Badgerthechef
    I Have To Agree With Rambo ... I Am A Nightblade Wood Elf & Use Archery & Also DW.

Works So Well For Me, Simply Switch Up When They Get To Close & Finish Em' Off!!

The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood
  • stephenmenace
    stephenmenace
    Soul Shriven
    So I started a templar mage. Not gonna lie, I'm loving him. One last question, what quests should i follow? Just all of them?
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you can do any of the quests. Make sure you do the quests on your factions starter island so you don't fall behind in leveling. Also, remember to complete the main storyline quests every 5 levels or so (these are the ones with the prophet and usually require to you to go to the harborage. You will probably also want to do the mage's guild and fighter's guild quest lines. You can pick those up from the mage's guild or fighter's guild in the first main city of your alliance. There are lots of side quests that are scattered throughout the world too; some of them are easy to miss if you don't like exploring.