Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should I play Morrowind?

ShiunTraze
ShiunTraze
✭✭
I know this is not necessarily related to TESO but I was wondering if I should play Morrowind. I've got Oblivion and Skyrim on PS3 with all the DLC (maybe not in Oblivion - 'PC master race' got 'em all ;) , I think Xbox did as well :( ) and I adore both of them. I spoke about some of my Oblivion experiences in this post: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/146703/this-is-what-a-creepy-dungeon-should-look-like-zos#latest
It is thanks to them that I am playing ESO!

However, I have heard that Morrowind is a great game; some say it's the most memorable and even the best! So I was wondering if I should give it a go? Bear in mind that I focus on enjoying the story as much as anything else. I don't care about the graphics, nor the combat which I enjoyed thoroughly in Oblivion & Skyrim. I'm not necessarily interested in addons for single-player games.

So should I pass out some ESO time to give to enjoy some Morrowind? What are your thoughts and opinions on Morrowind?

I'll see you in Tamriel.
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

Best Answer

• Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ShiunTraze Definetly !

I played morrowind After i palyed skyrim and oblivion and i guess i had similar expectations like you do now.
    The game is definetly worth it and i would advise to get a couple of mods right of the start just to polish it up a bit (there is a awesome mod package called morrowind remastered or smth. Similar.)
    Mail story and many side quests are real gold and the world has many hidden bits of awesomeness like every elder scrolls game.
    However i find some of the guild quests rather lacking. for example the mages guild one which basically consists of (spoiler)
    - go in that cave
    - kill 1 guy
    - loot staff of magnus
    - Come back and show me staff
    - profit ...

Overall the game gives a great experience and especially the bloodmoon expansion comes with amazing new story on the island of solsteim (wink wink skyrim).
    The "failure system" of magic and missing your attacks take some getting used to but dont take away of the great experiece, while character customization with a multitude of enchanting options and spellcrafting really shines.
    Edited by Ahzek on July 8, 2015 4:37PM
    Jo'Khaljor
    Answer ✓
  • Saddiq
    Saddiq
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

Longer answer: Morrowind has a fantastic main storyline, and fantastic side-storylines. It is great storytelling. A lot of us see it through rose-colored glasses, so truth be told a lot of the dialogue is painful--specifically, everyone in the same town has practically exactly the same thing to say about everything, which is quite immersion-breaking. But if you forgive that, it's one of the best games many of us have ever played.

Obviously graphics, including updated ones, will be dated. That doesn't bug me at all. But I played Arena and Daggerfall in the last 5 years, so graphics don't matter to me.

And get ready for a very, very long build to survivability. Morrowind is very difficult until you're level 15 or so. You have to build all your stats from 0 to 100, including 'chance to hit'. That means that at the beginning, you're fighting mud crabs and can go 20-40 times easy of attacking with your sword and not once hitting the mud crab. Then when you do, you hit for next to no damage. In other words, it was built for a much more patient, much more resilient generation of gamers than we have now.
  • God-eater
    God-eater
    ✭✭
    Morrowind was awesome, but every iteration of TES since has improved upon the last, so my advice is if you haven't played it yet, don't bother - I found Morrowind unplayable as soon as I'd laid eyes on Oblivion, and the same thing happened to Oblivion upon Skyrim's release.

ESO offers the best Morrowind experience you're going to get, except maybe Solsthiem in Skyrim's Dragonborn DLC.

Don't get me wrong - there is something to be said for taking the old roadster out of the garage for a spin - it ain't no Zonda, tho, so don't expect to have your mind blown.
    "M'aiq is glad he has a compass. Makes it easy to find things. Much better than wandering around like a fool." - some cat I met on the road
  • pcar944
    pcar944
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind s still the best, tons of things to do, very impressive
    One Tamriel killed PVP

DC Magicka Orc Necromancer climbing those ranks ...
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    God-eater wrote: »
    Morrowind was awesome, but every iteration of TES since has improved upon the last, so my advice is if you haven't played it yet, don't bother - I found Morrowind unplayable as soon as I'd laid eyes on Oblivion, and the same thing happened to Oblivion upon Skyrim's release.

ESO offers the best Morrowind experience you're going to get, except maybe Solsthiem in Skyrim's Dragonborn DLC.

Don't get me wrong - there is something to be said for taking the old roadster out of the garage for a spin - it ain't no Zonda, tho, so don't expect to have your mind blown.
    I couldn't disagree more.

Everyone should play Morrowind, or at least try - because it may prove too outdated for you, this is true. But this is mostly due to mechanics, the miss chance, the game's slow start etc. Graphics can still look beautiful if you mod them. In my opinion modded Morrowind looks better than Oblivion because it has a unique, aesthetically pleasing art style. The main story is brilliant and the lore deep and interesting. If you're a fan of Elder Scrolls games, you should definitely take a look at Morrowind.
  • BurtFreeman
    BurtFreeman
    ✭✭✭
    ShiunTraze wrote: »
    I know this is not necessarily related to TESO but I was wondering if I should play Morrowind. I've got Oblivion and Skyrim on PS3 with all the DLC (maybe not in Oblivion - 'PC master race' got 'em all ;) , I think Xbox did as well :( ) and I adore both of them. I spoke about some of my Oblivion experiences in this post: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/146703/this-is-what-a-creepy-dungeon-should-look-like-zos#latest
    It is thanks to them that I am playing ESO!

However, I have heard that Morrowind is a great game; some say it's the most memorable and even the best! So I was wondering if I should give it a go? Bear in mind that I focus on enjoying the story as much as anything else. I don't care about the graphics, nor the combat which I enjoyed thoroughly in Oblivion & Skyrim. I'm not necessarily interested in addons for single-player games.

So should I pass out some ESO time to give to enjoy some Morrowind? What are your thoughts and opinions on Morrowind?

I'll see you in Tamriel.

any great game is related to his age.
    playing morrowind in the 2015 will be frustrating, becouse is like to travel with a coffin instead of yachting.
    but it may fashinating few tes lovers.

thought i hope for a remake sometime
    Edited by BurtFreeman on July 8, 2015 8:41AM
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind is one of the top ten games ever made, and rightfully so :)

(IMHO)

You can enhance graphics and gameplay (somewhat) using mods... the dialog issue mentioned above can be solved using the LGNPC set of mods, for example.

If you ever try it, my recommendation is to create a custom class (try to make sense...) and stick with your class skills. Try to aim for at least a starting combat skill that's greater than ~35. With certain class/sign/race combination you can push that to 50 even (Bosmer Archer comes to mind...)

Most people that hate the combat system, probably tried starting with an Orc Mage and use a Short Sword as a starting weapon :wink:

Good luck!
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • Trollwut
    Trollwut
    ✭✭✭
    Do not start with Morrowind! I spent half of my teenage years in it.
  • Relothe42
    Relothe42
    Everyone should play Morrowind. Just get ready to read A LOT. And there's the issue with quest tracking (there isn't any.) By far the easiest game to blow through 80 hours without even noticing. You definitely need to make your character strategically to avoid the low chance-to-hit. Morrowind will give you the lore and story needed to be a real Elder Scrolls fan. Definitely worth at least trying it out.
    LORKHAN'S TRUTH - Senior Officer & Smithy
  • ConvictedRambo
    Rosveen wrote: »

Everyone should play Morrowind, or at least try - because it may prove too outdated for you, this is true. But this is mostly due to mechanics, the miss chance, the game's slow start etc. Graphics can still look beautiful if you mod them. In my opinion modded Morrowind looks better than Oblivion because it has a unique, aesthetically pleasing art style. The main story is brilliant and the lore deep and interesting. If you're a fan of Elder Scrolls games, you should definitely take a look at Morrowind.

Morrowind's a very good game. I miss having Michael Jordan's athletic jumping ability.
    "Live free, or die trying."
    XBOX ONE
    GT:
    WAR DADDY RAMBO
  • Trollwut
    Trollwut
    ✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »

Morrowind's a very good game. I miss having Michael Jordan's athletic jumping ability.

Maybe some random wizard will fall to death on Nirn in ESO with some scrolls in his bag.
  • Kazzy56
    Kazzy56
    ✭✭✭
    PS4 EU

Play it!! You know you want to!! ;)

<3
    Young at heart. Slightly older in other places.
    PS4 player.
    If everything was perfect there would be nothing to strive for.
  • CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have the PC version, there are various projects out there that update the graphics. I think one uses the Skyrim engine.
    Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion