The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Mini map needed

• Korozenn
    Korozenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »
    Really ...

Ide like to know why did

Dunno.

My guess is that a lot of the original features that can be found from really early builds of the game display the minimap, but they removed it due to the outpour from TES fans that the game resembled too much of an MMO and not the style of minimalist UI design and first-person perspective gameplay the Elder Scrolls games (cough) Skyrim (cough cough) was known for.

While a mini-map makes sense to have for MMOs because most of them are all played in the third-perspective, ESO had to change as a result of the addition of a first-person perspective. It makes little sense to have a mini-map when playing in that perspective because the addition of the Compass is meant to be used as a replacement for that. Instead, ZOS took the Bethesda route and opted out of the minimap for the Compass which really does work just as well and offer more in terms of immersion.

That being said, I've played this game with a minimap.

Based on my own personal experiences with it, it really doesn't add much else to the plate unless you use add-ons to enhance your map display on the PC version of the game. It just saves you from pressing M as much. The problem I have with that, though, is that I don't memorize locations and enjoy the scenery as the map is there and obstructs it all. It just gets in the way. I can't quite describe how it does it, but the Compass just generally feels far less cumbersome to use for me now. But, that's just my word for it. Your mileage may certainly vary. :)

Hoping that ZeniMax does know that there is certainly a crowd of people clamoring for the option of an official Minimap though for consoles. Much like damage indicators and combat statistic information we get from FTC, I know that ZeniMax is working on something in that regard for PS4/XONE as they hinted towards it recently, if I recall correctly. Let's hope it comes soon! :hushed:
    Edited by Korozenn on July 12, 2015 12:33AM
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • ContraTempo
    ContraTempo
    ✭✭✭✭
    The PC minimap addon has lots of nice features but I have to be careful not to show too many pins or it takes a serious performance hit. Maybe a built in one could avoid that. As for those who don't want one, if they add one just turn it off. Why do you want to control what someone else sees?
    ContraTempo
    Carpe DM
    Seize the Dungeon Master

• King Bozo
    King Bozo
    ✭✭✭
    Slonekb05 wrote: »
    no...no..and no. You already have a compass and a map that literately takes 5sec to pull up and look at if your actually lost.

But...but... with a mini map I don't have to use those 5 seconds and continue my immersion.
  • Korozenn
    Korozenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    King Bozo wrote: »
    no...no..and no. You already have a compass and a map that literately takes 5sec to pull up and look at if your actually lost.

But...but... with a mini map I don't have to use those 5 seconds and continue my immersion.

You can always just move while the map is open on the PC version of the game. ・。・

But, yeah...everyone is going to be divided when it comes to the UI of this game.

I suggest that the best possible solution is in creating a compromise for everyone while maintaining the minimalist nature of the UI. A refined, simplistic minimap that is transparent, composed of different indications of elevations (lighter shades for higher levels of elevation, darker shades as it goes down in elevation all the way to black), and map borders (of course). It can be used 'in place of' the Compass. In other words, one or the other (as the mini-map should also be round and have a compass on it already anyways). It should look like a simplified map, in general, that goes with the rest of the UI.

The closest I've found to a proper minimap for this game is the one that Fyrakin made for his add-on, and I still use it, but I toggle it off when I don't need it anymore once I memorize a zone. owo
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Korozenn wrote: »

You can always just move while the map is open on the PC version of the game. ・。・

But, yeah...everyone is going to be divided when it comes to the UI of this game.

I suggest that the best possible solution is in creating a compromise for everyone while maintaining the minimalist nature of the UI. A refined, simplistic minimap that is transparent, composed of different indications of elevations (lighter shades for higher levels of elevation, darker shades as it goes down in elevation all the way to black), and map borders (of course). It can be used 'in place of' the Compass. In other words, one or the other (as the mini-map should also be round and have a compass on it already anyways). It should look like a simplified map, in general, that goes with the rest of the UI.

The closest I've found to a proper minimap for this game is the one that Fyrakin made for his add-on, and I still use it, but I toggle it off when I don't need it anymore once I memorize a zone. owo

That's why it should be an option. I want it as a pc player. The op wants it as a console player. The same holds true of many other options like nameplates, guild tags, buff debuff icons, a combat log, and other preferences. Here's where the big deal comes in: you don't want to use them. That's fine! It is just as valid as wanting to, though. The problemis that if you fdemand the options remain unavailable... You're forcing your style and preferences of how to play on everyone else.

Adding the settings options for this sort of thing, gives everyone the ability to choose for themselves rather than have it dictated to them, "mommy knows best!" by the game ;). Skyrim fans did the same routine before eso launched, complaining so loudly about people "playing it wrong" that zenimax felt compelled to remove even the options, entirely, to appease them. It was wrong then. Whether or not those people are even still around, it's wrong now, too. This is what the UI looked like, and everything was able to be set to your own personal preference, before that whole fiasco :

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/183978/i-went-on-an-archaeology-expedition-on-my-hard-drive-and-found-the-long-lost-oft-demanded-true-ui
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on July 12, 2015 2:16AM
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭
    Korozenn wrote: »

That's why it should be an option. I want it as a pc player. The op wants it as a console player. The same holds true of many other options like nameplates, guild tags, buff debuff icons, a combat log, and other preferences. Here's where the big deal comes in: you don't want to use them. That's fine! It is just as valid as wanting to, though. The problemis that if you fdemand the options remain unavailable... You're forcing your style and preferences of how to play on everyone else.

Adding the settings options for this sort of thing, gives everyone the ability to choose for themselves rather than have it dictated to them, "mommy knows best!" by the game ;). Skyrim fans did the same routine before eso launched, complaining so loudly about people "playing it wrong" that zenimax felt compelled to remove even the options, entirely, to appease them. It was wrong then. Whether or not those people are even still around, it's wrong now, too. This is what the UI looked like, and everything was able to be set to your own personal preference, before that whole fiasco :

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/183978/i-went-on-an-archaeology-expedition-on-my-hard-drive-and-found-the-long-lost-oft-demanded-true-ui

YES! Oh my goodness, I remember your post from then, but I couldn't find it. lol :D

That is the exact minimap I'm talking about; it's perfect in many ways to me. I absolutely agree with your views. I would love to have the options to fully customize the UI. Right now, we're too shoehorned to accept the vanilla UI as it is. We all need customization by defaultーthis game shouldn't require the use of add-ons to meet popular demand of its fanbase, whether on the PC and on the Console side of the spectrum.

I'm a fan of TES before MMOs, but even I prefer using minimap instead of compass in most situations to learn the area. I toggle it off with a keybinding when I don't need it any longer in the overworld, such as when not exploring and in a city or town, then press the key again when I enter a delve or dungeon. It works seamlessly as a compass as well and, in my opinion, takes up less screen real estate when it looks like the one from your earlier thread.

Those missing options and features of the UI should be reimplemented. It would only give people more ways to play the game, which is great for anyone and everyone. I guess we can always hope that changes to the UI will start coming, even if in phases, alongside the Imperial City update. :)
    Edited by Korozenn on July 12, 2015 2:32AM
  • uriangelub17_ESO
    There is no need for a mini map, you can function perfectly without one. Also, mini map are so small that are useless for the big picture.

Just bind your map to Z, and spam it. I always do that, and play with no problems because I get lot a lost and minimap never helped on that
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no need for a mini map, you can function perfectly without one. Also, mini map are so small that are useless for the big picture.

Just bind your map to Z, and spam it. I always do that, and play with no problems because I get lot a lost and minimap never helped on that

Where is Z ?

Just kidding ... This for console players. PC has map mods
  • QuadroTony
    QuadroTony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for everything you need in the game you must use addons
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    QuadroTony wrote: »

Console ... Not PC
  • Crimson_Flare
    Crimson_Flare
    ✭✭
    They had one. Not a clue why they removed it, though.
    They DID?!

This just makes this worse, then.
    "What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax (Skyrim)
  • Ace_of_Destiny
    Ace_of_Destiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A mini-map would be helpful.
    But, I would just like it if they put group-member icons on the compass.
    Having to open the map everytime a group member walks around a corner is kinda crappy design.
    EQUALIZE ALL PLATFORMS!
    IF ONE HAS IT...ALL SHOULD HAVE IT!
    !

)==================================================(
    ~MegaServer~>PS4 (NA) ~PSN~>Ace-of-Destiny
    )===================================================(
    I don't care what platform it is on...an MMORPG without Text Chat is NOT an MMORPG!
  • Crimson_Flare
    Crimson_Flare
    ✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »
    QuadroTony wrote: »

Console ... Not PC
    GG.
    "What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax (Skyrim)