The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Professional MMO Players driving game decisions?

• asteldian
    asteldian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, ZOS did the smart thing and looked for feedback from high end players. The one thing ZOS need little help with is the casual aspect of the game, they nailed it pretty well and additional casual friendly features are, in the grand scheme of things, easy things to add without destroying a game and ideas are easily shared across forums.
    Where ZOS struggle is the end game aspect, and whether or not you agree, it is a very important part of an MMO. More importantly, it is here where things can really break and people with deep understanding of end game are a great pool of knowledge due to experience, understanding mechanics, they can help share things that work, don't work and give insight in the consequences of adding something that seems a good idea but could completely mess things up when you look at it with a more discerning eye.

Some people fear this kind of 'favortism' because they think by talking to the hardcore element the game will be ruined, they assume these people will direct the devs in one direction that no one else likes. It is a rather paranoid stance, the devs already have their vision for the game as a whole, and their weakness is their inexperience with the hardcore element so tapping into that knowledge is good and doesn't mean it is blindly followed.
    Not to mention while us casual players like to assume these 'elitists' are all selfish and only care about what benefits them, in most cases that is not true and plenty of thought would have been given with the playerbase in mind.
    As an easy example if there was any strong sway from the hardcore, do you really think we would still have this barren UI? :)
    Options
  • Junglejim82
    Junglejim82
    ✭✭✭
    Lulz pro mmo players. someone show me where I get paid. Can't confirm about zeni but in my previous mmo devs created Dec discussion threads were anyone could post but ofc the most well known players and guilds seemed to be listened to intently . There are pros and cons to this approach. Hell one guild had a dlc achievement named after them. Felt kinda left out tbh
    Jungleim
    Stamblade extrordinaire (for now)
    Mass Terror /elders of anarchy ps4 e.u
    Daggerfalls finest

Always looking for serious pvpers not afraid to mic up. See below
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/181697/massterror-ps4-eu-daggerfall-are-recruiting#latest
    Options
  • Whendim_ESO
    Whendim_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ur'Quan, is there no end to your skills?
    Options
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Im still scratching my head wondering what a "beta reader" is.
    Options
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just like cooking lol
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
    Options
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If players are too timid to come to the forums maybe we need anonymous in-game suggestion thing.
    Options
  • IrishGirlGamer
    IrishGirlGamer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what a "professional MMO player" is - or who stylizes themselves in that manner.

That said, in over a year of hanging out (albeit irregularly) on this forum, I've seen players identify themselves as "professionals" or refer to other players as "pros."

What the criteria is for earning that title, I don't know.
    Valar Morghulis.

Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull. Arya Stark

You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well. Sansa Stark

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Desmond Tutu
    Options
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is a beta reader anyways?

The kind of person who would remind ZOS that punctuation goes inside quotations, and that two independent clauses joined by a comma without a conjunction are awful sentences.

No, wait, that's an editor.

The beta reader basically tells you whether or not your work is ready to be seen by an editor. It's more about content and consistency than grammar and proper style.
    signing off
    Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    nvm, ninja'd
    Edited by Rosveen on June 24, 2015 5:15PM
    Options
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    What is a beta reader anyways?

The kind of person who would remind ZOS that punctuation goes inside quotations, and that two independent clauses joined by a comma without a conjunction are awful sentences.

No, wait, that's an editor.

The beta reader basically tells you whether or not your work is ready to be seen by an editor. It's more about content and consistency than grammar and proper style.

Thats called a proofreader not a beta reader lol.
    Options
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Im still scratching my head wondering what a "beta reader" is.

An early model external drive?
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
    Options
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what a "professional MMO player" is - or who stylizes themselves in that manner.

That said, in over a year of hanging out (albeit irregularly) on this forum, I've seen players identify themselves as "professionals" or refer to other players as "pros."

I guarantee that the vast majority of people who refer to themselves as pro MMO players don't meet the criteria. The only criteria to being called a pro anything is that it's your main source of income.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Options
  • IrishGirlGamer
    IrishGirlGamer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    I just like cooking lol

That's the most attractive thing I've ever heard anyone say.

Valar Morghulis.

Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull. Arya Stark

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Desmond Tutu
    Options
  • Furor
    Furor
    ✭✭✭
    I just like cooking lol

That's the most attractive thing I've ever heard anyone say.

In game wedding? I want to be invited.
    Edited by Furor on June 24, 2015 5:16PM
    Furor Darkblade - VR16 Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
    Options
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I guarantee that the vast majority of people who refer to themselves as pro MMO players don't meet the criteria. The only criteria to being called a pro anything is that it's your main source of income.

Ive heard of sponsorship for top guilds before... But i dont think thats enough for an income....
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
    Options
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought only LoL was allowed to be called "professional".

By professional, he may be referring to players that make money playing the game.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

Options
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've clearly never tried my brussel sprouts. You start off by cooking up some diced bacon in a cast iron skillet, add diced shallots and cook until translucent, add the brussel sprouts (cut into halves) and a serrano pepper (sliced in half and de-seeded) and saute on the stovetop until the brussel sprouts start to soften. Then you transfer the pan to the oven and broil until the sprouts are just starting to brown. Remove from the oven, remove the serrano pepper, squeeze lemon juice over it, sprinkle parmesan cheese, toss it all, and enjoy.
    20150507_200632_resized_1_zpsv2qtbvoe.jpg
    Note: this picture was taken before adding the parmesan.

Thanks a lot, now I'm hungry...
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
    Options
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I thought only LoL was allowed to be called "professional".

By professional, he may be referring to players that make money playing the game.

People make money playing this game? how stupid am I when I PAY to play it lol
    Options
  • Rook_Master
    Rook_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Guild Summit was basically a PR campaign where the loudest internet personalities were invited to a secret cabal where they could be made to feel special for a few hours, and then go back to their followers and talk about it.

Essentially all of the information from these secret meetings comes from Atropos' notes which he released.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2014/10/eso-guild-summit/
    Options
  • IrishGirlGamer
    IrishGirlGamer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Guild Summit was basically a PR campaign where the loudest internet personalities were invited to a secret cabal where they could be made to feel special for a few hours, and then go back to their followers and talk about it.

Essentially all of the information from these secret meetings comes from Atropos' notes which he released.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2014/10/eso-guild-summit/

Thanks for posting this.
    Valar Morghulis.

Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't the guild leaders STILL meeting regularly with ZOS?
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
    Options
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shunravi wrote: »

Ive heard of sponsorship for top guilds before... But i dont think thats enough for an income....
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are some people who can legitimately call themselves pro MMO players thanks to such sponsorship, but the numbers have to be vanishingly small.

I mean, there was a thread a while back giving details on what one particular LoL player (I can't remember his name, but he was recognized as an absolute top player) managed to earn playing over the course of a number of years. The individual prizes he got sounded great, but when you averaged the total out to look at what his annual income was for those years, it really wasn't impressive. Adequate for sure (I think it would probably have put him in the upper middle class range for income), but not impressive. And this was an absolute top player who treated it as a full time job and was recognized as one of the best (if not the best) in the world.

Hmm, it occurs to me that I've now kind of derailed this thread in 2 different directions. I should stop posting... Sorry @IrishGirlGamer !
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Options
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I really just want three evaluations out of a beta reader:

Continuity; no plot holes.
    Consistent, believable characters.
    Natural dialogue.

I wish I could have beta-read ESO. There's a considerable amount of unnatural dialogue in the game. You can tell that it was written without ever being spoken out loud prior to recording.

mwxlau.jpg
    signing off
    Options
  • Rook_Master
    Rook_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally was tipped off about the Forward Camp change about a week before it happened.

My source said it was a friend of a friend type of thing where an employee let his Guild in on the secret to hoard them, and then word got out. It would not shock me one bit to discover this sort of thing was still going on.
    Options
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can confirm that no one is listening to me...
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
    Options
  • Darklord_Tiberius
    Darklord_Tiberius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Furor wrote: »
    I have personally been approached by a game developer and asked questions. I wonder if I'll get in trouble for admitting that.

I won't discuss what we talked about or who it was. Sorry. :wink:

Yea and I regularly talk to Santa Clause about who is naughty and nice.
    Options
  • Amarynth
    Amarynth
    ✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Aren't the guild leaders STILL meeting regularly with ZOS?

Yes. At least, I know for sure that one particular guild meets with them regularly. Not in person like the summit, though.
    Options
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Furor wrote: »
    I have personally been approached by a game developer and asked questions. I wonder if I'll get in trouble for admitting that.

I won't discuss what we talked about or who it was. Sorry. :wink:

Yea and I regularly talk to Santa Clause about who is naughty and nice.
    Me too, but it's really just to find all the girls in my area who are on the naughty list... :D
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Options
  • Darklord_Tiberius
    Darklord_Tiberius
    ✭✭✭✭
    They talked to a few guilds in the beginning. They should be talking to top pvp and pver guilds from all alliances but no obviously zos at this point has there own agenda and we are all not included in on the plan mostly because they kept lying about content and other things and they know if they actually hold a guild summit it will be everyone asking what the heck they were thinking over the last 8 months....

Not just the top, they need a few of the top guilds; but also a wide variety of other players/guilds. This game is not run to appease those at the top. If that were the case, all the AP and Emperor exploiting that has gone on in Cyrodiil would have never been changed. They do not need to be catering to the elitist culture that has developed in this game, whether its PvE or PvP. Their only hope for surviving with ESO is to appease a broad range of players with ideas that everyone can mutually agree on.
    Edited by Darklord_Tiberius on June 24, 2015 5:45PM
    Options
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »

I really just want three evaluations out of a beta reader:

Continuity; no plot holes.
    Consistent, believable characters.
    Natural dialogue.

I wish I could have beta-read ESO. There's a considerable amount of unnatural dialogue in the game. You can tell that it was written without ever being spoken out loud prior to recording.

mwxlau.jpg

Again you are looking for a proofreader tho. I have worked in publishing for quite some time I have never heard of anyone called a "beta reader". Do you pay them or expect them to work for free?
    Options