Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How heavily does my class choice affect my play?

Squishs
Squishs
✭✭
Returning player, just hoping to have a quick question answered.

From what I've seen and from what I can tell about the building system, is that the class choices still heavily dictates what roles you can and can't fill, now I'm not at all interested in min-maxing, but I do want to play something viable.. currently I've just rolled out a Bosmer/Wood Elf Sorc, not really committing to anything regarding role, but, i'm finding that I'm being drawn more and more towards a magicka dps build based on the three skill trees.

Is it possible for every class to fulfill every role? (melee dps, ranged dps, tank, healing, and everything in between!) I'm familiar with the sad truth that ' cookie cutter ' builds will always exsist, but should I at least be attempting to experiment with less then expected load outs, like a melee dps sorc or a sorc healer?

Sorry if this post is a bit all over the place!

• MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm not min-maxer myself.. but I read a lot.

You are correct, you won't be "the best" without choosing the cookie cutter builds. (Well, skill can make up for many of things, but I get ya)

I personally have ran dungeons with multiple sorc healers actually. (One of my go to friends is a sorc healer even) and that healer has most definitely never let us down.

I would say it is possible, but, this is from someone who has done most Vet dungeons, but has not stepped into trials or DSA. Of course, as you know, some are much more suited than others, but if you're not worried about getting top points on leaderboards, I personally think it's alright to go with something some may call "sub-par". I have seen some odd combinations running trials etc. (twitch) and they seem to do great. Of course, I'm sure skill is a huge factor. This is just my opinion though, so, take it as you want.

This thread may interest you..
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/178957/without-these-race-class-combos-you-wont-get-into-a-end-game-guild
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Inactive Account
    Inactive Account
    ✭✭✭✭
    To add a little to what MissBizz said. Once you have all your skill lines at 50 including Armour, you will have a better chance of being an all-around character.
    With that being said you will have to reset your skills to fill in what role you would want to be.
    That could get pricey and annoying. You can change out your Armour and weapons easy enough, but you will have to have the skills available and the knowledge to use them for the chosen role you are trying to fill.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think thats the beauty of this game. It allows combinations like sorc healer or nightblade tanking or ramged Templar bow without taking much of the viability of the role itself. The game has this poker like qualities, needing not only a good hand (build) but also a good poker face ( the player).
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Redguard Templar Healer that has been told on a number of occasions that I'm very skilled at it, I can tell you that it does not matter at all.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a more apt word for Classes is Specializations. It's something you will be naturally good at, but by no means are you confined to it. I play a Breton Templar, and I am a good Tank and DPS, with a Stamina focus. I have DPSed Trials, including Veteran Dragonstar Arena, and tanked most content. Successfully, I might add. If Classes really locked you into a role, and Races a playstyle, I'd be a Magicka Healer only. :)

I have seen Sorcerers perform a variety of roles, the most impressive of which is tanking. Sorcerers can bring their naturally high damage to the plate as they tank, effectively playing two roles at once. I have also seen Stamina based Sorcerers. Due to most Class abilities being Magicka, Stamina builds do not open up until you unlock most Weapon abilities and discover the several Stamina morphs of Class abilities.
    But that said, some Weapon lines are entirely self-sufficient -- no Class abilities needed!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.