The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Would you like if ZoS simplified the crafting system to reduce log out, login, bank/withdraw etc...?

• Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - Please explain you logic in the thread
    Ayantir wrote: »
    No, I leveled ALL crafts on my main char. 130 skill points in.

I don't logoff, I got my bank. I don't have alts to stock any kind of stuff, only a guild bank base on trust for provisionning and low level materials.

That's great if you only play 1 character, not so great when you have 4vr tools and frequently reroll toons. It's unnecessarily complex.
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's all account wide, then you can only do one daily per account, otherwise it's punishing to people without 8 Alts.

I'm honestly confused by this statement? Doesn't everyone have 8 alts? Whether you choose to use them or not is a choice.

Listen I think some people may not realize but the current system is unfair towards new people using this logic....right now with 4x vr toons I can do 24x max level dailies (including the provisioning ones, btw I've got tons of recipes learned on 6x different toons much of it overlapping and 3 toons (I think) with 50/50/50 in blacksmithing.....I get that you (and I) have done it the hard way...either levelling it on multiple characters or doing the login/logout bank shuffle....

I mean if you insist on a downside for the account wide option then switch it to CP (equal to the current sp it takes) being used to unlock higher level, quality and keep hirelings and all that other stuff character specific. I'm just talking about the actual crafting where you make stuff at a station....

now I would prefer accountwide, but my second preference (over the current system) would be for all crafted items to be BoP, non tradable non sellable, 0g value items....because again then people are not forced to do the login/logout bank shuffle etc.... routine
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other - Please explain you logic in the thread
    choose other, but am leaning more to yes.

Let's start to explain what happened to me yesterday even. I logged into my DK at 8h50 PM. I noticed that I turned lvl16 the other night and needed new armor and weapons (I waited for level 16, cause I had enough steel). My crafter is on my higher level templar.
    I took me 60! minutes to get that armor and weapons ready to play on my DK. Some things that slowed me down:
    I had to buy 3 things in guildstores. Cause my tradingguilds happened to be out of 1 thing I also had to travel to Elden root to check the other trading guildstores there. I had 2 times that mails where not arriving (meaning that I had to go to the login screen).

Why did I choose other then??
    Cause the things that holds me back the most is a bug (mails not arriving) and a missing feature (decent trading post). With those things, it would be sped up a lot.

If this would be added with a crafting material storage, so you can store materials nicely sorted in a different tab on the bank (don't mind if you have to pay to unlock it), the problems would be gone. I think that are better solutions then yours.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    Imo there are only four changes needed for the crafting system:

1. Drastically reduce research times. Months for a single trait is absurd.
    2. Allow armor to be converted to a different aesthetic style by a crafter (i.e. change an imperial robe into a nord robe, no stats effected)
    3. Allow crafter to alter an items traits (i.e. replace reinforced with impenetrable on an item, as long as the crafter knows both traits)
    4. Allow an item to be upgraded by a crafter. (I.e. you upgrade a level 12 iron cuirass into a level 50 calcinium cuirass). The armor would retain it's initial appearance, allowing the use of low level armor aesthetics at high levels.

Nail on the head right here
  • xeneblaze
    xeneblaze
    ✭✭✭
    No - I like that its complex and takes effort to do - crafting is worth it
    GuildMaster of Wolves of Destiny
    A fun, social, safe-gaming guild - add Xene68 on PSN with a short message if you would like to join!
  • Veridiano02
    Veridiano02
    ✭✭
    No - - Please explain you logic in the thread
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    As others have pointed out, characters are individuals, and crafting requires the use of skill points.

I have 7 characters and I totally understand the inconvenience, but nothing keeps you from leveling crafting on all your rooms if that is what you want to do. I got all my tools to the level where they can get the highest tier of hireling, so I know it's work, but it’s doable.

That's my opinion. I can't really explain it better myself. However, it could be better if I can mail to my characters. What it kills me (specially when I'm doing sets for my alters) is the need to go to a special crafter station and then return to the city, and then look for the bank, the relog, go back to the city again, look for the bank... Mail it to myself will be much better.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is and should be a cost to choices we make. Skill points are required for crafting and work to level it up on a character. Making this shared defeats the intent and very good purpose of the choice to work to level up a craft on a character and to spend skill points on it.

A point that brings this to light is the extended benefits that points in provisioning and alchemy provide and with your ideas it would mean once these lines are leveled on any character every other character would benefit and that is just plain wrong and seems a little lazy.

Is it wrong for you to think these things, No.

Is it wrong for these ideas to be implemented in the game. Absolutely wrong.
  • Jultzy
    Jultzy
    ✭✭
    No, and what I would want will be an unpopular opinion. I would rather see some of the crafting stuff go soul bound in order for you to work on the crafting on all your chars or at least the main char. Of course not everything should be soul bound, just some of the things you craft. Maybe just that one very rare thing should be soul bound and 99% isn't.

I would mainly like this for the consumable crafting. Having a rare recipie that teaches you how to make a consumable item that is soul bound. You can buy the recipie and the ingirdients/mats from otherplayers but you cannot give the actual item to other players including your alts.

The same thing goes for the banking system. As @Ace-2112 I don't like the shared bank either. It gives me less bag/bank space and it makes it hard to implement that soul bound system i talked about.

This is just personal opinions and I haven't thought them through that much which means they're most likely very flawed.
    Jultzy Altmer Sorcerer (AD)
    Narjiha Bosmer Nightblade (AD)
    Jules Yaká Breton Sorcerer (DC)
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should leveling be account wide @Personofsecrets? All XP earned is accumulated in a pool and every character gets to distribute their points differently. Is that how it should work?

You don't HAVE to have alts. If you don't care that these things aren't account wide, just have 1 chatacter.
    Edited by Gidorick on June 19, 2015 12:02PM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • ElricFrancis
    ElricFrancis
    ✭✭
    I said yes simply because I do not repeat the same thing. I won't play an additional char (limits what I would want to buy at the crown store) But if I do I'll take whatever rewards I get and not worry til 50. Either way for them it's less crown sells.
    Their call however.
    Previous MMOs: Everquest Fennin Ro 99-04 / Star Wars Galaxy Wanderhome 03-04
    World of Warcraft Whisperwind 04-12 / FF 14: ARR 14
    Named Usually: Realmreaver
  • Etaniel
    Etaniel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Better yet, how about we get an interface where we can click on the time we need, and it appears in inventory, instead of having to farm materials and travel to the crafting stations, because you know it's a waste of time
    Noricum | Kitesquad

Youtube

AR 41 DC DK

• Azculain
    Azculain
    Soul Shriven
    NO: I believe there are "games" out there that offer instant gratification already.
    If anything, things need to become more complex around here.
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is and should be a cost to choices we make. Skill points are required for crafting and work to level it up on a character. Making this shared defeats the intent and very good purpose of the choice to work to level up a craft on a character and to spend skill points on it.

A point that brings this to light is the extended benefits that points in provisioning and alchemy provide and with your ideas it would mean once these lines are leveled on any character every other character would benefit and that is just plain wrong and seems a little lazy.

What extended benefits? Yesterday it took 15 min to level a character from provisioning 3 to provisioning 50? Cost about 11k gold?
  • Azalin76
    Azalin76
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it needs to be account wide, I just think they need to lower the amount of money needed to upgrade bank space. I have to have 6 different characters just to hold all of my crafting gear, which only leaves me with 2 available spots to use for actual playing. I think that it's ridiculous to have to pay 30k+ just to open up 10 bank slots. It should be a set amount like 10k for 10 slots, want 10 more then it's still only 10k. Also changing the amount for characters would be great too, should be 10k max as well. I like the way it ramps up to higher numbers but paying more than 10k in gold just for 10 item slots is just way too much.
  • coryevans_3b14_ESO
    coryevans_3b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted yes because for me personally all my crafting is spread out, and then there are the mules. Would you believe a year+ and I still haven't finished medium/heavy/blacksmithing/nirnhoned... I would if it were account wide, but logging them all in and out, every single day...is just no fun and more work than I'm after. (It helps my husband was all over it, so I have someone to ask)

Stopped reading after you typed "me personally". Of course it's you. You're speaking in first person. That's like nails on a chalk board. Love you. But c'mon!!!!

J/K (kinda)

I hear ya. There are days that I don't log into everyone to collect things. But I don't want anything else watered down in the game. I respect your opinion though :)
  • lsneakl
    lsneakl
    ✭✭✭
    Merkabeh wrote: »
    it is annoying. I have 4 mules right now and I spend half hour to an hour after "playing" every night just crafting (refining and deconstructing) and organizing my inventory among my mules; because there are so many crafting materials.

I don't know what the best solution to it is, but I'm not a fan of your solution, because I like the idea that each character is specialized. Switching characters to actually create an item isn't too bad I don't believe; but crafting material inventory is annoying to work with, so maybe something to resolve that.

The issue is not the system the issue is that you are using other accounts as mules... Each character is supposed to be a separate person within Tamriel. The fact that you are using mules and have to shift things around is exactly why this should not be allowed.... There just needs to be no limits on character bank/back pack spots and needs to level out as far as cost.
  • lsneakl
    lsneakl
    ✭✭✭

I don't logoff, I got my bank. I don't have alts to stock any kind of stuff, only a guild bank base on trust for provisionning and low level materials.

Exactly the issue is that people have "mule" accounts and alts that they feel entitled to have the benefit across all accounts.

Also another issue is what happens if your character A is in a dungeon and is full of loot? Oh I will just log off go to my character B and just de-construct all those items from Character A into Character B's inventory.

One of the biggest things about ESO is it is somewhat realistic in that fact that you can't magically be at the bank. If you were to implement something you have two different issues:
    A) Characters skills points start to run together and you are able to completely avoid putting any points into anything doing with crafting (right now the downside is the logging in and out to try to repel this)
    B) Shared inventory and ability to move items around on character not logged in means that you could remove items from someone in a dungeon or questing in the world when you dont want to get back to the bank allowing you basically a cheat to get around the banking system

Personally in the end I would be fine going the other way and really separating your even more except possibly for a very small 5-10 item shared bank portion for giving your "family" (aka Alts) items of large value such as armour or motif books.

PS - Can you not send items in mail between characters? I have 4 characters (really only play with one now on console) but I keep them primarily separate and really wish the bank was actually not shared as this would allow more space for each of my characters and their unique play styles and factions.
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lsneakl wrote: »
    Merkabeh wrote: »
    it is annoying. I have 4 mules right now and I spend half hour to an hour after "playing" every night just crafting (refining and deconstructing) and organizing my inventory among my mules; because there are so many crafting materials.

I don't know what the best solution to it is, but I'm not a fan of your solution, because I like the idea that each character is specialized. Switching characters to actually create an item isn't too bad I don't believe; but crafting material inventory is annoying to work with, so maybe something to resolve that.

The issue is not the system the issue is that you are using other accounts as mules... Each character is supposed to be a separate person within Tamriel. The fact that you are using mules and have to shift things around is exactly why this should not be allowed.... There just needs to be no limits on character bank/back pack spots and needs to level out as far as cost.

I don't use mules, I sell everything I get, inventory space is a non issue, it's that I play 8 characters and I'm not about to research full nirnhoned 9 trait specs on 8 characters that's 6 million Gold in just nirnhoned to research the traits....don't think many exist that don't have a character designated for certain crafting such as their blacksmith....the problem is that to make it I:

start on the character I need it on.
    Make a list
    log off
    log on to crafter
    check for mats
    go to bank or guild store to get mats
    travel to specialized crafting location
    make 5 pieces
    travel to another specialized crafting location
    make a few more pieces
    travel back to the bank
    deposit said crafted items
    log off
    log on character that needs the items
    travel to bank
    withdraw items
    equip them

This should be simplified to:
    Get mats
    goto crafting location
    make 5 pieces
    goto other spot
    make additional pieces
    equip

All those other steps are unnecessary time sinks that detract from the game.
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ace-2112 wrote: »
    I don't even like a "shared bank".
    I am an "old school" RPer.

Pretty much same as this guy.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lsneakl wrote: »

Exactly the issue is that people have "mule" accounts and alts that they feel entitled to have the benefit across all accounts.

Also another issue is what happens if your character A is in a dungeon and is full of loot? Oh I will just log off go to my character B and just de-construct all those items from Character A into Character B's inventory.

One of the biggest things about ESO is it is somewhat realistic in that fact that you can't magically be at the bank. If you were to implement something you have two different issues:
    A) Characters skills points start to run together and you are able to completely avoid putting any points into anything doing with crafting (right now the downside is the logging in and out to try to repel this)
    B) Shared inventory and ability to move items around on character not logged in means that you could remove items from someone in a dungeon or questing in the world when you dont want to get back to the bank allowing you basically a cheat to get around the banking system

Personally in the end I would be fine going the other way and really separating your even more except possibly for a very small 5-10 item shared bank portion for giving your "family" (aka Alts) items of large value such as armour or motif books.

PS - Can you not send items in mail between characters? I have 4 characters (really only play with one now on console) but I keep them primarily separate and really wish the bank was actually not shared as this would allow more space for each of my characters and their unique play styles and factions.

You cannot mail between characters, I wasn't proposing that you could access logged off characters inventory but some games have made phone apps allowing you to auction stuff from your phone while on the go (or in a dungeon) .

• jkemmery
    jkemmery
    ✭✭✭✭
    I voted yes because it's a huge time sink leveling up crafting. I would vote "NO" with the caveat that crafting didn't need to be such a huge time waster. Give more experience for creating things, and make the materials more plentiful and easier to come by. I mean, it's ridiculous that a single "Kuta" can fetch as much as 7500 gold. Blacksmithing, clothing and woodworking materials are fairly easy to come by, but provisioning and enchanting materials are a pain to harvest enough to level yourself up in a reasonable amount of time. Personally, if I have to waste time, I find something better to do with my real world personal time I devote to my entertainment. I've gotten to where I don't play even half as much as I did 2 months ago because I'm stuck doing tedious chores to level up just to compete with other veterans. I'd rather watch TV than search around for hours trying to find provisioning mats or enchanting mats to level up and make the good stuff.
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet another thing people want to be account wide :tongue:

I like crafting the way it is. My characters are "unique", and I personally feel no need to make anything else account wide.

So far we have dyes, vanity items (mounts, pets, etc) and CP account wide. But still people are not satisfied. Just look at all the posts where people complain about CP. Making something like crafting account wide might have the same negative effect/response.
    I can understand how some may find crafting a "grind" if they want to make every character a master crafter, but that's a choice. Example: I have one character who is a master crafter, the rest only focus on what they need. It's called: prioritizing.
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azculain wrote: »
    NO: I believe there are "games" out there that offer instant gratification already.
    If anything, things need to become more complex around here.

^ Exactly this!

The game has been watered down too much.There's just not enough depth. The quests are way too easy and everything else in the game is drawn out for you as well. It even makes RP and immersion difficult when you no longer have to "fight for" or earn anything. Your character just becomes an empty shell. And that is the last thing I expect from an Elder Scrolls game.
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jkemmery wrote: »
    I voted yes because it's a huge time sink leveling up crafting. [...]

That's part of why I voted no. Crafting is part of character investment--a reason for people to actually play more than one character.

• jkemmery
    jkemmery
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zorrashi wrote: »
    jkemmery wrote: »
    I voted yes because it's a huge time sink leveling up crafting. [...]

That's part of why I voted no. Crafting is part of character investment--a reason for people to actually play more than one character.

For me this is the main reason that I have all but quit playing. My time is valuable to me.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NovaMarx wrote: »
    Yet another thing people want to be account wide :tongue:

I like crafting the way it is. My characters are "unique", and I personally feel no need to make anything else account wide.

This. My Redguard us my Armorer. My khajiit is my Alchemist (in preparation for eventual Skooma production :wink: ) My Imperial is my cook. And my Argonian is my Enchanter.

I like having them all different. :sunglasses:
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

your characters aren't 'individuals.' You are. Your character is just pixels in a video game and you wanting to keep the illusion that it is an individual costs others lots of exasperation as they log on and off of accounts over and over to manage inventory.

No.

You play one character at at time. At any given time you have one "hero" to be.

If you really were playing a "group" it would be inherent in the initial in-game set up ... something like chess or the "clone family" in the original iteration of Paranoia.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • IrishGirlGamer
    IrishGirlGamer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faugaun wrote: »

What extended benefits? Yesterday it took 15 min to level a character from provisioning 3 to provisioning 50? Cost about 11k gold?

Right. Now trying doing that with enchanting or blacksmithing.

I would say no. Let's think this through. Say I have four characters. Each character runs around getting drops. Each character repeats dungeons, etc., that other characters have done. Character then deconstructs all that loot to benefit a single, general crafting skill. Soon I have maxed out everything.

Now I roll character five ... and their an expert ... at everything?

No.
    Valar Morghulis.

Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull. Arya Stark

You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well. Sansa Stark

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Desmond Tutu
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    it could be better if I can mail to my characters. What it kills me (specially when I'm doing sets for my alters) is the need to go to a special crafter station and then return to the city, and then look for the bank, the relog, go back to the city again, look for the bank... Mail it to myself will be much better.

Some of us have two accounts, or a buddy to trade mails with.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis