The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

@ZOS - Fix the Map.

Ghrimn
Ghrimn
✭✭✭
ZOS, if you truly plan on showing us "Tamriel Unlimited", you'll have to fix it somehow.
PwLPmjj.jpgb8TiSMf.jpg
Otherwise it will be: "Tamriel Un... (except for the whole western arm of Morrowind) ...limited!"

Edited by Ghrimn on June 6, 2015 7:05PM
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    You do know ESO is set 1000 years before Skyrim, right? Landforms change, cities move, etc.
    English is not my first language, Finnish is.
    Please don't heap on me for grammar problems.
  • Legoless
    Legoless
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zazaaji wrote: »
    You do know ESO is set 1000 years before Skyrim, right? Landforms change, cities move, etc.

Not on that scale.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah they totally screwed this up without any reason.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With an estimated size of 62,394 square miles, ESO II: Daggerfall is the game most deserving of the Tamriel Unlimited subtitle.

But that trip from Northern Rivenspire to Sentinel would take forever... so creative liberties are taken.
    signing off
  • Ghrimn
    Ghrimn
    ✭✭✭
    @Zazaaji
    Zazaaji wrote: »
    As far as we know, no significant geological changes happened during that time period.
    Also, magical world or whatnot, 703 years are not enough to make changes of that scale in the world, unless it's something REALLY violent, and that would completely destroy any signs of civilization in that area (which we know it doesn't happen).

Windhelm and Skuldafn didn't move. They've always been in the same place.
    Skuldafn is a Nordic Temple located high in the Velothi Mountains between Skyrim and Morrowind, and most certainly not next to the sea. It was built by the Dragon Cult in the Merethic Era.
    Windhelm, is the oldest continuously inhabited human settlement in Tamriel, and was founded by Ysgramor himself in the Merethic Era.

Edited by Ghrimn on June 6, 2015 8:55PM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch... I had no idea they were that far off... Is this even FIXABLE at this point?
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Blacklight even in ESO?

It could be argued that these are cartographer maps... and they're not entirely precise.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Ghrimn
    Ghrimn
    ✭✭✭
    @Gidorick
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Is Blacklight even in ESO?

It could be argued that these are cartographer maps... and they're not entirely precise.
    No, Blacklight isn't in ESO.

All made by the same person? Don't you think each Faction would have it's own Cartographer? It seems highly unlikely that the Factions would all have the same Cartographer.
    And why would The Pact use a Map that shows their own territory incorrectly?

Edited by Ghrimn on June 7, 2015 12:29PM
  • MAOofDC
    MAOofDC
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I can think of that can change that much in the time frame available is the artificial borders that mortal tend to create IE lines on a map. The lines can be moved easily cities and mountains not so much.
    Guild Master of the Guild <The Wrath of Sheogorath>. CHEESE AND CABBAGE FOR EVERYONE!!!

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    ESO II: Daggerfall is the game most deserving of the Tamriel Unlimited subtitle.

LoL ! Daggerfall's never been an online game and actually it was called TESII : Daggerfall ! :-)

Unless you mean ESO II but then you're very talented for seeing into the future.

Or we've undergone a very serious dragonbreak. :-)

• PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering Skyrim and Cyrodiil are MUCH, MUCH smaller in Skyrim and Oblivion then they are in teh lore, this is nothing.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After looking at some maps... I'm actually alright with the ESO locations of the cities, all except Skuldafn... that's where Blacklight should be.

This is the map that came with the Elder Scrolls Anthology:

anthology%20map.jpg

But the fact that all of these maps aren't exactly the same lends some credence to the idea that they are just cartographer errors.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Veridiano02
    Veridiano02
    ✭✭
    You all should take a map of Europe, in some year circa 1500. And then compare it with a modern day map.

And then explain me, again, that "in 1000 years that changes can't happen".

I mean... Some cities in 1500 were docks, and today are far, far away of the sea. Some cities call themselves "riverside" and are a dry ghostown...

Just saying.
  • Ghrimn
    Ghrimn
    ✭✭✭
    @Gidorick
    After looking at some maps... I'm actually alright with the ESO locations of the cities, all except Skuldafn... that's where Blacklight should be.

But the fact that all of these maps aren't exactly the same lends some credence to the idea that they are just cartographer errors.
    If you aren't okay with Skuldafn's location then that means you aren't okay with the others. Because, if you change Skuldafn you'll have to change the others too.
    If ZOS doesn't fix the northeastern coastline, then yes, Blacklight should be where Skuldafn is. But if they were to change the coastline, it should be like it is shown in "my" second map.

For all the maps in ESO to look the same, it would mean that they were all made by the same person. "Don't you think each Faction would have it's own Cartographer? It seems highly unlikely that the Factions would all have the same Cartographer.
    And why would The Pact use a Map that shows their own territory incorrectly?

FYI: "My" maps were made using the Anthology map, in fact, the second map is the Anthology map over ESO's map.

@Veridiano02
    Ghrimn wrote: »
    As far as we know, no significant geological changes happened during that time period.
    Also, magical world or whatnot, 703 years are not enough to make changes of that scale in the world, unless it's something REALLY violent, and that would completely destroy any signs of civilization in that area (which we know it doesn't happen).

Windhelm and Skuldafn didn't move. They've always been in the same place.
    Skuldafn is a Nordic Temple located high in the Velothi Mountains between Skyrim and Morrowind, and most certainly not next to the sea. It was built by the Dragon Cult in the Merethic Era.
    Windhelm, is the oldest continuously inhabited human settlement in Tamriel, and was founded by Ysgramor himself in the Merethic Era.

Edited by Ghrimn on June 7, 2015 3:01PM
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LoL ! Daggerfall's never been an online game and actually it was called TESII : Daggerfall ! :-)

Unless you mean ESO II but then you're very talented for seeing into the future.

Haha. My bad.

I should have written Spoiler Alert first. :blush:

Or you know... proofread ever now and again...

signing off
  • coryevans_3b14_ESO
    coryevans_3b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG that map's off!!! I quit!!..

Seriously though, this is a meaningless issue (to me) especially compared to so many other issues. This is a non issue.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted this in the "Ask us anything" forum:
    East march appears to be far too east on the world map. When considering the location of Skuldafn in Eastmarch:
    600px-EsoSkuldafnWayshrineMap.jpg
    And Eastmarch's location on the world map of ESO
    Eastmarch-small.jpg
    It appears that there is a bay directly to the north of Skuldafn. The issue is, Skuldafn doesn't have a bay directly to the north, it has mountains.
    Skuldafn.jpg
    and where is Blacklight? Looking at the map of Tamriel that came with the Elder Scrolls Anthology we see that Blacklight is to the Northeast of the Velothi Mountains on the northern shore of the western-most province of Morrowind in the Velothis District (if that's what it's even called).
    anthology%20map.jpg
    Using that same map, overlaying the ESO zones, we see that there is a whole landmass between Eastmarch to the north and to the east that just seems to me missing in ESO.
    dXJKIPs.jpg?1
    Concerning the area to the east, where Blackight should be, is ESO going to consider Blacklight to be south of Skuldafn in the unrealased zone?
    GnoqpEr.png?1
    It seems that Blacklight should be about where Skuldafn is and Skuldafn, along with the Velothi mountains, should be further west. This is further supported by overlaying the ESO Zones of East March and The Rift over the Skyrim Map.
    i2AuNqL.jpg?1
    This map also supports the province of Winterhold being to the north of Eastmarch. So Eastmarch not only seems to be too far east, but too far north.

Is there an explanation for this? Have the waters receded since the time of ESO in the main TES series? Perhaps there is more landmass in the TES series because the water level is lower.

Or perhaps this is a videogame and I shouldn't be nit-picking it so much. :wink:

Please note: This doesn't have to be read in it's entirety... just a summary of the question and an explanation would be more than sufficient.

That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, the more I compare the two maps the more it makes sense that maybe in the second era the water was higher. I mean, where did bleakrock come from?, that's probably pretty much where Blacklight is. The ENTIRE Winderhold province is just not there. Maybe it's under water.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok... so I went and used the Anthology Tamriel map and overlayed it on the ESO Tamriel map and receding water would TOTALLY explain some of the topographical differences... some.

The red circles are areas that would be underwater in ESO.
    lALYvfh.png?1

Riften is about in the same place.... I don't know WHAT in the world is going on with that island to the north... it's just floating away. lol.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    With an estimated size of 62,394 square miles, ESO II: Daggerfall is the game most deserving of the Tamriel Unlimited subtitle.

But that trip from Northern Rivenspire to Sentinel would take forever... so creative liberties are taken.

TES II Daggerfall is absolutely massive as a game all around.
    Part of why my love for it is still so strong.
    Edited by Samadhi on June 7, 2015 7:06PM
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Ghrimn
    Ghrimn
    ✭✭✭
    @Gidorick
    1. By Shor's Bones! Would you please calm down?
      Winterhold is not underwater, or do you think the Ancient Nords were fishies? Saarthal is in Winter Hold and was built in the Merethic Era. The College of Winterhold is in Winter Hold and was built by Shalidor in the 1E.
      Bleakrock is shown in the Anthology Map.
      p9yoRSn.jpg

2. I don't think you overlaid it correctly. Compare it to mine.
      Where "your" Dawnstar is, is where Winterhold should be.
      FYI That island up north is Solstheim.
      b8TiSMf.jpg
      lALYvfh.png?1

3. Good work on that AUA post! Just remove that underwater part and you should be good. :+1:

@Samadhi
    Samadhi wrote: »
    ESO II Daggerfall is absolutely massive as a game all around.
    Don't you mean TES II: Daggerfall?

Edited by Ghrimn on June 7, 2015 7:53PM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol. thanks @Ghrimn... Bleakrock is tiny in that map! and if that is bleakrock that again makes Skuldafn totally in the wrong place.

I completely just overlooked the college of Winterhold and Winterhold's history. DOH!

Thanks for the edu-ma-cation. :wink:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »
    ESO II Daggerfall is absolutely massive as a game all around.
    Don't you mean TES II: Daggerfall?

Thank you for catching that, went back and fixed it.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Ghrimn
    Ghrimn
    ✭✭✭
    @Gidorick
    You're welcome!
    Loremaster Ghrimn is here to teach Lore to you N'wahs!
    Now you better go and change your AUA back to this:
    East march appears to be far too east on the world map. When considering the location of Skuldafn in Eastmarch:
    600px-EsoSkuldafnWayshrineMap.jpg
    And Eastmarch's location on the world map of ESO
    Eastmarch-small.jpg
    It appears that there is a bay directly to the north of Skuldafn. The issue is, Skuldafn doesn't have a bay directly to the north, it has mountains.
    Skuldafn.jpg
    and where is Blacklight? Looking at the map of Tamriel that came with the Elder Scrolls Anthology we see that Blacklight is to the Northeast of the Velothi Mountains on the northern shore of the western-most province of Morrowind in the Velothis District (if that's what it's even called).
    anthology%20map.jpg
    Using that same map, overlaying the ESO zones, we see that there is a whole landmass between Eastmarch to the north and to the east that just seems to me missing in ESO.
    dXJKIPs.jpg?1
    Concerning the area to the east, where Blackight should be, is ESO going to consider Blacklight to be south of Skuldafn in the unrealased zone?
    GnoqpEr.png?1
    It seems that Blacklight should be about where Skuldafn is and Skuldafn, along with the Velothi mountains, should be further west. This is further supported by overlaying the ESO Zones of East March and The Rift over the Skyrim Map.
    i2AuNqL.jpg?1
    This map also supports the province of Winterhold being to the north of Eastmarch. So Eastmarch not only seems to be too far east, but too far north.

Is there an explanation for this? Have the waters receded since the time of ESO in the main TES series? Perhaps there is more landmass in the TES series because the water level is lower.

Or perhaps this is a videogame and I shouldn't be nit-picking it so much. :wink:

Please note: This doesn't have to be read in it's entirety... just a summary of the question and an explanation would be more than sufficient.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    already did @Ghrimn. removed the underwater part too.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• vaanomega
    vaanomega
    ✭✭✭
    And the Cyrodiil Errors ?

Nobody noticed the Cyrodiil Errors?
    Etre Lycan ou vampire ne signifie pas "être mauvais"
    Les Lycans d'Argent en sont la preuve
    A A
    (°w°)
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something else to note is that their own maps don't match each other. They mostly "fixed" the online map with regards to where Blacklight should be, but never followed through with it for the in-game map.
    ON-map-Regions_%28labelled%29.jpg
    ON-map-Tamriel_02.jpg

To fix the in-game map, all they really need to do is redraw the area of Eastmarch and move things around a bit so they still fit. (Those "things" being Bleakrock, Solstheim and the Velothi and Vvardenfell coastlines.)

Maintaining most of the shapes of the existing in-game map, here is what I think it should look like with the correct coastline:
    User-Enodoc-ESO_Eastmarch_and_Velothi.jpg

vaanomega wrote: »
    And the Cyrodiil Errors ?

Nobody noticed the Cyrodiil Errors?
    @vaanomega which particular Cyrodiil errors? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    Edited by Enodoc on June 8, 2015 11:37AM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brilliant @Enodoc! That would make those of us that care happy pupps! Make sure you get that to our community leaders!

Literally the ONLY thing they would need to change is the in game world map!
    Edited by Gidorick on June 8, 2015 12:18PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Ghrimn
    Ghrimn
    ✭✭✭
    @Gidorick
    Hopefully they'll answer it at the next ESO Live.

@vaanomega
    Care to share with us what you think is wrong with Cyrodiil?

@Enodoc
    If you'd allow me to make some changes in your map:
    Solstheim should more to the North and Bleakrock as it is said in the game is "between Windhelm and Solstheim".
    MIMdCbX.jpg
    But other than that's exactly how the map should look!
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Enodoc
    If you'd allow me to make some changes in your map:
    Solstheim should more to the North and Bleakrock as it is said in the game is "between Windhelm and Solstheim".
    MIMdCbX.jpg
    But other than that's exactly how the map should look!
    Sure, that works! I wasn't sure where to put Bleakrock, but I was always opposed to it being at the end of the Inner Sea, so where you have moved it to makes more sense. And even more so if that's what it says in-game.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
This discussion has been closed.