The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Idea: after a player kills you in a Cyrodiil dungeon, you can respawn at the dungeon entrance

Stranglehands
Stranglehands
✭✭✭✭
I don't know if this has been tested and found to be fatally flawed in some way, but from the perspective of someone who likes to do Cyrodiil dungeons solo for the challenge and only ever seems to encounter other players in groups of one or two, I think it would be more fun if instead of a player kill forcing you to respawn all the way back at the nearest friendly keep if you're alone, it lets you come back in the dungeon entrance and hunt down whoever just killed you, or just try to finish whatever mission you're on or leave. I can see it possibly becoming a sort of dogfight arena. Does anyone see any problems with this idea?
.kcoR gnillaF si noitadnuoF esohw ETIYREP oT
  • Legedric
    Legedric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

PvP kills only allow you to ressurect in a keep for a reason. If you decide to ride all the way to Crackwood cave in AD terrirory while the map is yellow -> Your problem.

You die there? Ride again!

Being able to stand up within the dungeon again without taking the risk to ride past enemy lines is for wussies...
    Legedric the Flamedancer ► - Redguard Dragon Knight
    Legedric the Stormdancer ► - Altmer Sorcerer
    Legedric the Sundancer ► - Altmer Templar

EU | DRUCKWELLE - Retter des Kaiserreiches
  • leshpar
    leshpar
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like this idea. PVP seems to have real consequences. Like, if you kill a mob somewhere, they will usually take several minutes to respawn. That's good. The same kind of thing should apply to players. Death should have REAL meaning. If all that is is having to spend the next 10 minutes getting back to where you were then I think that is fair.

That said, I tend to avoid pvp for the most part, so my opinions and ideas could be flawed.
  • JimEra
    JimEra
    Zenimax pwnd loyal customers in the arena with the console transfers causing perma deth
  • Stranglehands
    Stranglehands
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't found there to be any real sense of being behind enemy lines in a dungeon. Getting into a dungeon by avoiding keeps and obvious risky areas is not hard and you're about as likely to run into someone whatever the situation is topside.

Also, if you're with a gank squad, unless you all got wiped out your friends could resurrect you, so the only people significantly affected would be people doing quests or dungeons alone because they didn't want the hassle of getting some people together to do dungeons with
    Edited by Stranglehands on May 28, 2015 9:52AM
  • Legedric
    Legedric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, wrong.

There are delves in cyrodiil that are way more frequented for some reasons. Crackwood Cave near Alessia/Sejanus as it is the best CP grind spot so far for example or the Fungus Cave north of bleakers for its chest spawns to farm Martial Knowledge just to name two...

So right now I can go into one of these caves and simply drive the enemy faction out of it by killing them making them run there again. If they pop up inside the cave again I am not able to achieve this goal anymore.
    Edited by Legedric on May 28, 2015 9:55AM

• DDemon
    DDemon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who thinks pve players tend to lock out the pop cap on say, Thornblade EP on the EU server? which explains why when EP is capped and the other 2 factions still seem to have more players pvping, despite only having 1 or 2 bars.
    Edited by DDemon on May 28, 2015 10:21AM
  • Legedric
    Legedric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the feeling is the same for every faction...

Especially on campaigns that tend to be painted in one color often attract more PvE players ruining the queue, the faction balance and what not else...

• Awe
    Awe
    ✭✭✭
    There was an exploit, when after you were killed in a cyro cave, you could actually resp there, at the place of death(PvP death, no soul gems used), now it's fixed. So don't even dream about it anymore.
  • BuggeX
    BuggeX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    right

ap grind abuse inc.....

no thx
    Edited by BuggeX on May 28, 2015 11:04AM
    #makemagickadkgreataigan
    #givemeaexecute
    #ineedheal
    #betterhotfixgrindspots
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone see any problems with this idea?

Indeed. PvP in dungeons was among the best, last but not least because death mattered. If ZOS made it worthwhile to go to dungeons repeatedly (or even just made it VR14), it would have been blast. They blundered epically here.
    Edited by JamilaRaj on May 28, 2015 8:40PM
  • Qyrk
    Qyrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're in the PVP world, wherever you go SHOULD be made with caution, regardless if you're a pvp or a pve player. It's fine as it is now.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather see you being able to respawn at the dungeon entrance if killed by a mob in that dungeon. I agree with the replies that say it's not appropriate for a PvP kill, but for a PvE death to a mob I would like to see this option.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Stranglehands
    Stranglehands
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it's a mob you can currently respawn in the same place, like in a PVE zone
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's a mob you can currently respawn in the same place, like in a PVE zone
    Yes, but not if you have no soul gems/don't want to use one. In PvE zones, selecting Wayshrine puts you at the delve entrance, so it should be the same in Cyrodiil delves. Since you can respawn directly there if you have a soul gem, there's no reason to send you all the way back to the Gate if you don't, just like you aren't sent all the way back to the city from a PvE zone delve.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • bertenburnyb16_ESO
    bertenburnyb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    but from the perspective of someone who likes to do Cyrodiil dungeons solo for the challenge

challenge in Cyro dung....? u lost me
    if u want a challenge go solo crag dungeons

Edited by bertenburnyb16_ESO on May 28, 2015 12:46PM
    Haze Ramoran Dunmer Dragonknight Tank/Dps – Smoked-Da-Herb Saxheel Templar Tank/Healer

Red Diamond, Protect us 'til the end (EU EP Thorn)
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if this has been tested and found to be fatally flawed in some way, but from the perspective of someone who likes to do Cyrodiil dungeons solo for the challenge and only ever seems to encounter other players in groups of one or two, I think it would be more fun if instead of a player kill forcing you to respawn all the way back at the nearest friendly keep if you're alone, it lets you come back in the dungeon entrance and hunt down whoever just killed you, or just try to finish whatever mission you're on or leave. I can see it possibly becoming a sort of dogfight arena. Does anyone see any problems with this idea?

Once they have the kill the player killed shouldn't be able to constantly repast into the dungeon to be an annoyance. The current design works well.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    leshpar wrote: »
    Death should have REAL meaning. If all that is is having to spend the next 10 minutes getting back to where you were then I think that is fair.
    That's my opinion as well. Even though most times in cyrodil, I'm the one respawning at the nearest pact keep...
  • Heruthema
    Heruthema
    ✭✭✭✭
    IMO the PvP penalty for death is valid, even though it is a pain at times. If I am delving and get killed by an NPC then I can respawn there if I have a soul gem. But if I am in a dungeon and engage in PvP and happen to die I should have to go back to the nearest keep. Why would it be fair to be able to instantly resurrect and attack that player again and again?
    I lost I should pay the price for loosing.
  • badbeansnub18_ESO
    No thanks. The current method is fine.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about rez onsite after a cooldown? Would fix both issues (just expect to be engaged again immediately on rez)
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks.
  • Heruthema
    Heruthema
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about rez onsite after a cooldown? Would fix both issues (just expect to be engaged again immediately on rez)

No, there is NOTHING wrong with the current system. The idea is NOT to die. The penalty is fair and just.
  • Cernow
    Cernow
    ✭✭✭✭
    If someone of the opposing faction decides to kill you inside a PvP dungeon, then there's a good chance they don't want you there. Either because you represent competition, because you pose a threat or because they couldn't trust your intentions. Having you respawn at the entrance and run straight back into the fray wouldn't make for very good gameplay.

Part of the problem with many modern MMOs is that there's little or no consequences to death in PvP. it's the minigame mentality - rapid respawns, fast travel, no death penalties etc etc. One of the things ESO gets right in Cyrodiil is there are some consequences from dying out in the field, especially if you've ventured far behind enemy lines without any support. This adds a bit of thrill and adventure to exploring PVE content deep in enemy territory. If you want to be safer, team up with some other players who are hunting down skyshards and dungeon bosses etc.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heruthema wrote: »

No, there is NOTHING wrong with the current system. The idea is NOT to die. The penalty is fair and just.
    THANK you for CLEARING that up. It HELPS tremendously when you OVEREMPHASIZE your WORDS.

If you (look at that, no caps) engage in PvP while in an Delve, yes. Leave as is. Someone happening to get the last tick in as you're downing a Boss is stretch to be considered "engaging in PvP."

A 2/5/10 minute cooldown allowing rez on site would have no different effect than the NPC death you mention above.

It does not imbalance, it would merely save the road trip involved when not initially engaged in PvP. There would be no advantage to be had - in fact, it would favor the gankers, not the individual rezzing.

Either way THANKYOU for your OPINION.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good moment to remind why Forward Camps were removed from the game.
  • Sylvyr
    Sylvyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That'd make such a good AP farm it'd take everyone off of keeps. Image all 3 factions zerging the same dungeon killing each other over and over again in record time and respawning at the dungeon over and over again.

This would certainly take the lag off the keep battles!

Badge: Wall-of-Text GRANDMASTER

PvP: Patch Vs. Player

ZoSence (n.):
    1) What is reasonable or comprehensive using ZoS logic. "That makes ZoSense"
    2) Making zero sense. "That makes ZoSense"
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if we're talking 10 minutes cooldown at least...

Hmmm... that kinda gives me an idea...

How about if all PvP kills get a 10 minute timer for on-site self-revive, but also an option for enemy players to "capture" the "uncounscious" player they (or their allies) just defeated?
    Captured players would be locked in "bound" animation, and auto-follow their captor, and delivering them to a "prison camp" by the captors alliance home location would be a daily mission worth quite a bit in terms of AP... and allies of the captive could try and rescue them before they get there by defeating the captor... (remember, the bound one can still chat, and thus call all the hounds to their location)
    And if delivered to the "PoW camp", the captor gets his payoff, while the captive gets to play an "escape from prison" minidungeon...
  • Heruthema
    Heruthema
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heruthema wrote: »

THANK you for CLEARING that up. It HELPS tremendously when you OVEREMPHASIZE your WORDS.

If you (look at that, no caps) engage in PvP while in an Delve, yes. Leave as is. Someone happening to get the last tick in as you're downing a Boss is stretch to be considered "engaging in PvP."

A 2/5/10 minute cooldown allowing rez on site would have no different effect than the NPC death you mention above.

It does not imbalance, it would merely save the road trip involved when not initially engaged in PvP. There would be no advantage to be had - in fact, it would favor the gankers, not the individual rezzing.

Either way THANKYOU for your OPINION.

And thank you so much for correcting me. It is always a pleasure to have a wise mentor looking after you. :/

As far as your example. That goes under the 'Oh Well' area. We have all had it happen. But is is not enough to change a system that works. Leave the PvP death penalty alone.
  • Athas24
    Athas24
    ✭✭✭✭
    I could see it being an issue if you were being hunted down by a faction and you just go in the dungeon to wait out the re-spawn and then ride right back out to an enemies keep or something. You could theoretically get a whole team assembled in a dungeon and take down something you shouldn't really be able to otherwise.
    ...OverTwerked & Underpaid.
    Rajaat04 in game @Athas24 on forums
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I think it's fine the way it is.

And let me tell you, last time I was doing PvE in Cyrodiil to get the last skyshards/lorebooks/bosses I needed, I got killed a couple of times in dungeons by pesky AD players. :-P I rode back to Bloodmayne cave 3 times before I got all the bosses there.

Still have one last boss to do deep in AD territory. Haven't had a chance to go back there yet.
    The Moot Councillor