Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

We need the old opening cinematic!

EgyptRaider
EgyptRaider
✭✭
A couple of days ago I created a new character and I was suprised I didn't get to see the amazing opening cinematic there used to be where you see your character dragged down, being sacrificed by Mannimarco and sent to Coldharbour. Hell, the scene is even gone in the play cinematic option and replaced by this new version based on the cinematic trailer of ESO.

In my opinion this is a horrible move! The old opening scene served so many purposes! Not only did it set up the story and a personal relation with the prophet and Mannimarco, it was also a great recall to Oblivion's opening scene (which gave you the instant feeling that you were really playing just another TES game) and a great show of the in-game engine already making me partly attached to it.

All this is removed with the introduction of the new opening scene! Don't get me wrong, I love the promotion movie for what it is, but in my opinion it has no place as the opening for the game. Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim all had amazing openings and the old opening really recalled their feeling, making ESO truly a part in the long TES saga. the new opening partly destroyed that.
And if anything, the relaunch of Tamriel Unlimited should serve as a lure for old TES players, and as someone who started playing this game a month before the relaunch because I loved to try out the new model; I was amazed by the opening cinematic and certainly put in the right mood to start the game!

I would love to see the old cinematic back at the place everytime a new character is created. If not replacing the old one, there should be at least one way of letting the two co-exist. Completely removing the old one, which was so nice, really feels like such a waste!
Edited by EgyptRaider on May 10, 2015 10:21PM
  • theroyalestpythonnub18_ESO
    Agree completely.

Many people who joined up during B2P have already missed the intro cinematic, and a good chunk of the narrative. The decsision to replace the prologue serves no purpose other than isolating the players from the story.

I hope the change is reverted before the console release, but it probably wont happen. :(
  • snackrat
    snackrat
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, they removed the video from the Play Cinematic? WHAT? Why advertise to people already playing?
    *switches to watch*

...it sets up the world nicely (loved that flesh atronarch), but it doesn't do anything to explain your character. That is done in-game, via text - the worst method. Such an important plot point should not be dictated to you by a third party.

They should perhaps have your personal sacrifice play afterwards, as well. Sort of a "This is the world... and this, is you."
    Edited by snackrat on May 10, 2015 11:56PM
  • burdocklightbringercub18_ESO
    /signed - please ZEN - Please put it back! Keep the rest the same, but put the cinematic back! PLEASE!! (Petition signed)
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is, though, none of the cinematics really add anything to the game, and it's almost embarrassing that ZeniMax spent so much money on cinematics that do nothing to describe the actual style of the game.

Ignore the over-produced Warriors of Draenor opener and look at the original World of Warcraft cinematic. In a few minutes you get a great feel for several of the races and classes, all within scenery that could exist in the game.

Not a single thing in the ESO cinematics could happen in the game. Not the marching Daedra outside Wailing Prison. Not the really cool giant Flesh Atronach swarming with Scamps. The three "protagonists" are loosely based on a Pact, Covenant, and Dominion character, but not obviously so. And perhaps worst of all, the cinematics used now don't represent how small in scope the game actually feels and how little power your hero will ultimately have to shape the world around him or her.

They claim large-scale war that doesn't appear anywhere in the game. They're battlefield trailers for a game without a battlefield. I mean, step inside, and most of Cyrodiil is strangely peaceful.
    signing off
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I agree, when I tell friends about the game, I always look for an old video someone uploaded of the original opening cinematic, not the new one, as it's more relevant to the actual game and its story, and is the only place anywhere that actually shows how you died. If not bring it back as the main one you choose for the cinematic on the side, it would at least be nice if it were still somewhere on the official site or menu on the side next to the other one, it takes quite awhile looking for that old cinematic each time I look for it.

I still like the new cinematic as well, just not as an opening, introduction cinematic.
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree completely.

Many people who joined up during B2P have already missed the intro cinematic, and a good chunk of the narrative. The decsision to replace the prologue serves no purpose other than isolating the players from the story.

I hope the change is reverted before the console release, but it probably wont happen. :(
    They just need to add it so it plays before the opening Tutorial. It explains so much.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We need to have the full original tutorial from the first public beta back, including the obligatory trip to the starter islands and the slower levelling.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AngryNord wrote: »
    We need to have the full original tutorial from the first public beta back, including the obligatory trip to the starter islands and the slower levelling.

The decision to let start players AFTER the starter island still confuses me.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »

Would be nice, or atleast make it a bit easier to run into them first, optional marker from the prophet dialogue when you choose to look for who saved you instead of something else. I woulda done the starter islands first but only ran into them much later.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robo_Hobo wrote: »

Would be nice, or atleast make it a bit easier to run into them first, optional marker from the prophet dialogue when you choose to look for who saved you instead of something else. I woulda done the starter islands first but only ran into them much later.

They should start everyone on the starter island and have the first person everyone sees offer to take them to the mainland.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Ravena
    Ravena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Huh, didn't even know there was such a thing.

Started recently, you see.
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that sounds better. (Although, with there being a sea viper storm near khenarthi's roost, and invading covenent ships spotted, I don't think they would be too eager to set sail, but that can be said either way)
  • Pendrillion
    Pendrillion
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with this, the part is important to set up your place in the world. It should be in the game. Also it was nicely staged. Being dragged among those soulshriven...
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also agree. The new "introduction" doesn't really do much "introducing".
    Robo_Hobo wrote: »
    They should start everyone on the starter island and have the first person everyone sees offer to take them to the mainland.
    I agree with this as well. Returning to the state when you start on the islands would also have the added benefit of restoring Gambon's original recorded dialogue, including being "dropped unceremoniously on our heads", rather than the dialogue some other guy recorded when they changed it.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Dixa
    Dixa
    ✭✭✭

media reviewers blasted the company for not allowing the freedom of 'choice' to NOT start there.

which is moronic, but enough lemmings still think people like angryjoe or ign are in it for unbiased reviews and not almighty advertising revenue.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dixa wrote: »

media reviewers blasted the company for not allowing the freedom of 'choice' to NOT start there.

which is moronic, but enough lemmings still think people like angryjoe or ign are in it for unbiased reviews and not almighty advertising revenue.
    The choice can still be there though, just have it as a "choice to leave" rather than a "choice to visit".
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Which is silly, because after doing the very first quest, you got the option to 'tell Rana to leave Early' (if doing EP), and could then go straight to the second zone.
  • Titansteele
    Titansteele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oooo bring it back!
    Guild Leader of The Twelve Knights, AD PVE, PVP and Trading Guild on the EU Mega Server

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Amen.

It was disappointing when on the March 2014 beta, they changed it, because it removed the atmosphere from the tutorial continuity.

Also I felt more disappointed, when realised, when I made a new toon last week, the old opening cinematic was removed.
    Does anyone has the link for it on youtube or elsewhere please?

• theroyalestpythonnub18_ESO

Amen.

It was disappointing when on the March 2014 beta, they changed it, because it removed the atmosphere from the tutorial continuity.

Also I felt more disappointed, when realised, when I made a new toon last week, the old opening cinematic was removed.
    Does anyone has the link for it on youtube or elsewhere please?

Here.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »
    Agree completely.

They just need to add it so it plays before the opening Tutorial. It explains so much.
    It's been so long since I watched it that I actually don't remember it... Anyone know where I can find it? I did a quick search on Youtube and didn't see it.

Edit: somehow I missed the post immediately above mine that gives the link I was looking for... I never claimed to be a clever man.

Frankly, listening to those ***** who whined about starting on the starter islands is one of the biggest mistakes ZOS has made as far as I'm concerned. They should really change it back so that you start on the starter islands again (heck, some of the NPCs on the starter islands still say things to you that indicate you woke up there), and just give an immediate option to go to the first main city by boat for those who want to skip the starter zones. It would be a lot more intuitive for new players.

I can't count the number of new players I've talked to who were struggling in the first full zone and had no clue that they were supposed to go and do the starter islands first. Heck, right at launch I was one of them. I kept getting my rear handed to me in Daggerfall at level 3 (or maybe 4), until I decided to temporarily give up on the quest to save the king (which is where I kept getting pwned), and go follow a different quest. It was completely counter-intuitive to me that I was supposed to go off and quest in an entirely different zone before doing all of the quests in the city where I woke up.
    Edited by UrQuan on May 11, 2015 9:52PM
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Ravena
    Ravena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I watched it now, it was really good.

It felt like an old school Elder Scrolls introduction. Seeing Mannimarco kill us was great, now I hate him a bit more!
  • EgyptRaider
    EgyptRaider
    ✭✭
    Ravena wrote: »
    Wow, I watched it now, it was really good.

It felt like an old school Elder Scrolls introduction. Seeing Mannimarco kill us was great, now I hate him a bit more!

Hahah exactly my thoughts!

Also I would certainly agree with the starting islands things. Especially in the Daggerfall Covenant I tried to find my way to the isles but I had to look it up who actually gave the quest. Luckily it was easier to do so with the Aldmeri Dominion, but still.. it might make more sense indeed to let players start there, and have them able to leave the isles.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand that they wanted to do something different with the "Tamriel Unlimited" Re-Boot, but the original introducing cinematic was a part of the main quest story line.
    It served as part of the narrative with the prophet narration, seeing the ritual that put you in Coldharbour, seeing the secondary villain Mannimarco, and having an in-game engine cinematic was awesome.

Original Intro
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=V3mFpsML0P8

What I propose is that when you log into the game for the first time it has the twenty minute long cinematic, cause it's epic and why not.

20 min Cinematic
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=uuHWWC9xxmk

When you make a new character it plays the original intro and will only play it again if you DON'T choose to skip the Coldharbour intro tutorial.

When you choose the "play Cinematic" option on the left you will have two options.
    -The 20 min movie
    -The in-game engine Introduction
  • WhitePawPrints
    WhitePawPrints
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy **** this thread has been dead for over six months!

But thanks for posting a video of the original opening. Brings me back to my first play-through. Much preferred the original because it made it more personal for your character. The cinematic look nice, but that's about it. They lack any real connection with a person's play-through the game.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    I understand that they wanted to do something different with the "Tamriel Unlimited" Re-Boot, but the original introducing cinematic was a part of the main quest story line.
    It served as part of the narrative with the prophet narration, seeing the ritual that put you in Coldharbour, seeing the secondary villain Mannimarco, and having an in-game engine cinematic was awesome.

Original Intro
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=V3mFpsML0P8

What I propose is that when you log into the game for the first time it has the twenty minute long cinematic, cause it's epic and why not.

20 min Cinematic
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=uuHWWC9xxmk

When you make a new character it plays the original intro and will only play it again if you DON'T choose to skip the Coldharbour intro tutorial.

When you choose the "play Cinematic" option on the left you will have two options.
    -The 20 min movie
    -The in-game engine Introduction

The way I could see it working: if you sit in the Login screen for too long, you get the cinematic. Every time you start a new character, you get the original intro. To watch the cinematic, you just need to sit in the Login screen; to watch the original intro, you'd choose Play Cinematic.
  • Necrelios
    Necrelios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They must have removed it for the convenience of players like me, who can't remember what just happened two minutes ago. Come to think of it... that explains a lot. Like why I have 5 Dragon Knights. Hmm... what was I saying? Oh well... hey Dragon Knight, that sounds cool! Welp, here I go...
    Terms & Conditions ["We revoke permission to fictional legal constructs or private/public persons for selling of any private data, censorship, surveillance, personage or conversion as a trespass of law. We prohibit the practice of "procedural law" or corporate statues in place of divine law."]
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss the old cinematic and starting on the starter islands. I assume they wanted to get their money's worth with the former change, but the latter move always baffled me. They created new characters in the first big faction city with dialogue options to take you back to the island, but, they couldn't just add that dialogue (only to leave early for a big city) to the existing NPC who first meets you on the island itself?

"So and so blah blah needs help, but if you want to leave this island right away another so and so is heading out soon to [first big faction city]."

Poof, you are transported to the first big faction city. Spent 10 seconds on the starter island, but now you know it's there and that you are skipping part of the story.

In fact, they could *still* do this. Really easily. Very simple. Not hard at all. Could have it for the next DLC/major update. Right away. In no time. Soon™.
    Edited by tinythinker on January 11, 2016 1:40PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You're playing the game for the first time, sure go ahead and show the fancy cinematic. But after you create a new character, the intro should give information about how your character wound up where they did.

I think ZOS made the mistake of not only removing the character related cinematic but also in changing the starting location for the characters. How hard would it be to make the main land shrine available to port to at any time but have the characters start on newbie island?
    Edited by Tabbycat on January 11, 2016 12:31PM
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Coldharbor and starting island were also changed and I felt it was better.
    Interesting and good to see other perspectives.

It would be fine to have access to watch it but then let's go all the way back to closed beta where it was different there too which was more of what's being asked to bring back and there were meaningful Coldharbor choices for weapons, armor and such that kept this game a lot more open from the start.

It also was a lot harder which I would gladly welcome back especially because VR levels are going away. A meaningful journey to level 45-50 is desired with a supporting story again.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501