Upon What Engine is ESO Built?

Gidorick
Gidorick
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I know it's an engine that ZOS developed from the ground up just for ESO, but what do they call it? What is its name?
What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
That's right... Horse.
Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Micallef
    Micallef
    ✭✭✭
    Good place to start http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/499331#Comment_499331
    I remember another discussion involving Havoc where it was mentioned that it was used only in early development while they were busy writing their own engine.
    A search should reveal some more info.
    Options
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    HeroEngine.

Go to Google, type in ESO Engine
    More info: http://elderscrollsonline.info/news/about-game-engine

Separate physics engine called Havok.
    Edited by Zazaaji on April 30, 2015 5:02AM
    English is not my first language, Finnish is.
    Please don't heap on me for grammar problems.
    Options
  • Arkadius
    Arkadius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the very beginning they used HeroEngine. But then they decided to create a new engine from scratch.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes... and they must have named it something.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavily modified HeroEngine. You can tell because it has a lot of the same bugs and weird quirks found in SWTOR
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
    Options
  • Micallef
    Micallef
    ✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »

Lag-o-tronic 2015?
    Options
  • drschplatt
    drschplatt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know it's an engine that ZOS developed from the ground up just for ESO, but what do they call it? What is its name?

"Tears of Shattered Children of Lag Engine"
    Foräois - Imperial Sorcerer of Ineptitude.
    Widoch - Nord Dragon Knight of Ignorance.
    Billy Bob - Dunmer Templar of Chicken and Noodles.
    Blades of Vengeance
    Options
  • ItsGlaive
    ItsGlaive
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modified version of hero engine. Used the base engine for prototyping then "created" their own.
    Allow cross-platform transfers and merges
    Options
  • RainfeatherUK
    RainfeatherUK
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it still had hero engine components integrated, they would have to show that as they did before. Its illegal not to, right down to the base code of the engine.

ESO looked massively different in the early days under hero, for those of us around who can remember it all. From artwork, concepts, prototypes and otherwise. Its come along long way since back then.

It uses many of the associated middle-ware features that other mmo's do. Havok being one of those. But as for resembling the swtor's fiasco, far from it.

Naysayers will have you believe otherwise, but it is a homebuilt engine. Lets just call it ESOengine. Unless they sell it commercially, it doesnt need an external/out of house title.
    Edited by RainfeatherUK on April 30, 2015 10:17AM
    Options
  • ItsGlaive
    ItsGlaive
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do show it, in the installer. Also they don't HAVE to, swtor doesn't irrc
    Allow cross-platform transfers and merges
    Options
  • BuggeX
    BuggeX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesnt they use a other form of the own Creation Engine?
    #makemagickadkgreataigan
    #givemeaexecute
    #ineedheal
    #betterhotfixgrindspots
    Options
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lag-O-Master 3000 nobody builds lag better...LOL
    Edited by kevlarto_ESO on April 30, 2015 12:42PM
    Options
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why?

It's an in-house development, why 'must' they have given it a name at all?
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on April 30, 2015 12:46PM
    Options
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Micallef wrote: »
    Good place to start http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/499331#Comment_499331
    I remember another discussion involving Havoc where it was mentioned that it was used only in early development while they were busy writing their own engine..
    This is correct.

Havok is credited simply because it was used during early development as a stand-in for the engine being written in-house.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/102820/eso-using-hero-engine-and-havok-seriously-you-lied-to-us/p1
    Hi, folks. When we began development for ESO, we licensed the HeroEngine so that we could hit the ground running. We used it as a tool for things like area prototypes and design concepts so that we could begin honing the art style. HeroEngine was our whiteboard: a great tool to put our ideas in the game and seeing them while the production engine was in development.

/thread
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on April 30, 2015 12:49PM
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever they are doing...other than the bugs which are being worked out...it went pretty well for consoles but not so hot for PC. Each has some of the same bugs tho
    Havoc is listed in the console splash but not sure as others point out IF that's the one so to soeak
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on April 30, 2015 1:51PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume Havok is still used, since it's still on the splash screen, and that handles the physics. Then they have their in-house engine which does the graphics rendering, audio processing, and such like.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not /thread @fromtesonlineb16_ESO. That doesn't answer what they call their engine. They built it from the ground up. Cool. Does it have a name?

Personally I like to think it's something Elder Scrolls related. Like the CHIM Engine.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what engine it is, but apparently it's not firing on all cylinders!
    Options
  • Weberda
    Weberda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RSram wrote: »
    I don't know what engine it is, but apparently it's not firing on all cylinders!

Pretty sure it's a Model T engine they found at Acme Car Wrecking in New Jersey.

Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
    Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
    Options
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Micallef wrote: »

Lag-o-tronic 2015?

You sure it's not the Cash Shop 5000 engine?
    Options
  • Sylvyr
    Sylvyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The Engine That Shall Not Be Named"

or

"Oopsies"

Badge: Wall-of-Text GRANDMASTER

PvP: Patch Vs. Player

ZoSence (n.):
    1) What is reasonable or comprehensive using ZoS logic. "That makes ZoSense"
    2) Making zero sense. "That makes ZoSense"
    Options
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The elder engine

ps. I miss lol

Edited by Sotha_Sil on April 30, 2015 4:31PM
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
    Options
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if ZOS created their own engine for ESO that explains a lot of the issues that are still here from launch. The other engines must not have been able to do what they were trying for ESO. Otherwise it would be a complete waste of development resources to not build off an existing one and create something new.
    NA Server - Kildair
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Quite like The Elder Engine @Sotha_Sil
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hqdefault.jpg
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
    Options
  • Jaxsun
    Jaxsun
    ✭✭✭✭
    hqdefault.jpg

Omg, LOL
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ESO is built on a custom, in house engine. In its early development Hero engine was used for prototyping and some early work but it was realized that it didn't meet Zenimax's requirements, so they shifted to a proprietary platform. While some middleware is used for subsystems (havok is leveraged for some physics and collision detection for example, and was enabled a brief time before the game launched through today), the game isn't built on top of any specific platform. If you Google around you can find some very old tech discussion interviews laying out this story. More recently, post launch, FaceFX integration was added to improve characters' facial morphs and animations in line with their voiceovers, as well.

For the curious, here is the FaceFX site: http://www.facefx.com/
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on April 30, 2015 7:45PM
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lag-O-Master 3000 nobody builds lag better...LOL

Yeah, but they're hoping to fix all the problems by upgrading to the Lag-O-Master 4000 engine this fall.
    Options
  • Warraxx
    Warraxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HAL_9000.jpg
    Options
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robbmrp wrote: »
    ...The other engines must not have been able to do what they were trying for ESO....

Like run on MS DOS?

Although ESO looks pretty, it's engine doesn't do anything that I can see better than any of the previously mentioned game engines. I been playing since beta and I see nothing ground breaking or earth shattering in the game engine that I haven't seen five years ago!

I turn the grass off because I it drives me crazy then I turn my character and see the grass rotate: That's 1990's sprite technology. I think sprites are used for all of the 3D effects; I'm not saying this is bad, but if your going to take this approach to increase performance, then why is there so many uses with frame rate issues?

There is no real physics in this game! When I kill a NPC on the edge of a cliff, their corpse just floats in mid air. Ragdoll physics do not exist in this game.

What ever game engine is being used, it's network code needs an overhaul; including the server farm hardware.

Finally, some of you who read my previous post, know that I like to circumvent the invisible walls around the zones and so far I haven't found a zone that I couldn't conquer, but it's interesting that once I walk into an uninitialized zone with no NPC's, players, and other interact-able props. my frame rate jumps from 40 to 60 FPS on a Geforce 680 (4 GB VRAM) at 2560 x 1440 with every graphics option turned on to the max settings. Note that my graphics card VRAM is never overloaded even in crowded cities, so I have to assume that there is another issue causing the jerkiness and latency that a lot of player's are experiencing.

One other point: You usually modify a game engine to enhance the game, not to travel back in time to the 1990's!
    Options