The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

[Magicka NB] Discussion/Advice

• TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly OP you should be able to beat ANY stam pure burst NB IF you can survive their initial burst. This is where you should focus your learning and building. A. to survive inital burst B. Not let them get away and finish.

Good stam NBs are few and far between.
    Edited by TheBull on April 26, 2015 3:13AM
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess we are playing in weird parallel dimensions or something but having played a magicka melee nb exclusively (I did try stam briefly after 1.6) I'm really puzzled by your claim that there is any burst to be had with the class. I had a very nice build before 1.6 with stygian that could burst almost anything down. And if I couldn't then I had a pretty good escape bar. 1.6 changed this fundamentally. I've had to change the play style completely. I have to be much more tactical about choosing my targets and escape routes.

I'm not saying that you can't be effective or enjoy a magicka nb (in my case melee focused) but burst is not a word that I would associate with any build. If you want that you have to go stam. Targets melt with stam but I don't like the survival side of those builds. My kill to death ratio with magicka is usually about 25 to 1 with .43 killing blow ratio. With my brief stam adventure it was more like 4 to 1 although killing blows were plentiful...maybe 80%. Kill count didn't keep separate statistics but that was my gut feeling.
  • Samuel_Bantien
    Samuel_Bantien
    ✭✭✭
    Xael wrote: »
    @Whyn Aurum

Magicka based NB is still good. Something you need to realize, a lot of people that post in the PvP section don't PvP that much or that well. That said you get a lot of really bad and inaccurate advice. I find it hilarious you can find the same people in almost every thread giving their "stellar" advice about stuff they don't even understand. For goodness sake there is a reason why almost every thread is a whine or a cry for x to be nerfed. "Rise of the...", "weakest class/strongest class" poll, "how to balance..", etc are plentiful and it's the same dunderheaded fartbrains posting.

I have seen several NBs that have tremendous burst. Yes CP are nice and do help, but they are nowhere near as overpowered as the crybabies make it out to be. If you are vr14 with the right gear you can do about 17-20k pretty quickly with just basic NB skills like Teleport(insert morph)/Concealed with a light attack weaved before another Concealed. I mean for crying outloud some of the #1 players on certain campaigns are magicka nightblades. Don't listen to the noobs.

Hi! <3 I got your mail asking for advice in game, but... I must argue there is reasons why Stamina Nightblades triumph over their Magicka counterparts. I am only playing a magicka build due to being a Breton.

The reason Magicka Nightblade gankers (the 1.5 Magicka Gank build) is because Ambush (which used to give 38% more damage on the next hit in 1.5) is now a Stamina Morph, thus destroying the Ambush, Dark Cloak, Soul Harvest combo for Magicka Nightblades. WTB a revamp for Lotus Fan to be the Magicka equivalent of Ambush. In the current state of the game, Teleporting Strike is better than Lotus Fan. There is two major problems with Stamina Nightblades: one is how well Stamina and Weapon Damage scale with the Stamina Morphs (i.e. Ambush, Killer's Blade, and Surprise Attack). The 2nd major problem, which is also why Sorcerer's are "OP nerf plz" status, is because Momentum gives 20% more weapon damage without requiring a target - like the 20% spell damage buff from Surge, while every other class is required/forced to use Entropy for their 20% spell damage boost.

Another problem is that medium armor gives 3/4ths (correct me if i'm wrong) the Spell Resist of Heavy Armor, which stacks well with Nirnhoned while Light Armor gives squat amount of armor to counter Medium. Medium > Light in all matters of bursting due to Nirnhoned and lack of spell penetration. The current state of balancing Magicka V. Stamina would be to bring down the spell resist of Medium armor, and either increase or leave Light Armor's spell resist as is, the main point is to lower Medium Armor's spell resist.

Concerning Mark Target, Light Armor only gives 4736 spell penetration and Mark Target gives 5120 spell penetration which would equal out to 9856 Spell Pen, while 7/7 Medium Armor user w/o Nirnhoned have about 12k Spell Resist, this is fine for us Nightblade Magicka builds who use Mark Target if that medium armor user is not wearing Nirnhoned, but not every Nightblade uses Mark Target. Now the majority of the Stamina Nightblades use Mark Target, while 7/7 Light Armor users have around 3-4k Armor - Meaning, Mark Target ignores every bit of armor 7/7 light armor users have #hardcounter, and light armor does not have much or have the spell pen to go through any amount of spell resist medium armor users have. Normal Light armor users barely have any penetration if the enemy is a Breton in a full set of Light Armor due to the 3000 spell resistance racial.

9 times out of 10, gankers will choose the player with the robe on due to knowing how hard they will hit and burst that light armor player. As for Magicka Nightblades, we lack a sufficient burst that will kill players before they get up after they're knocked off a horse (that sort of time frame). I have placed feedback that Grim Focus (and morphs) should be a toggle. Grim Focus was hyped beyond the capabilities it is at right now, which is only the 8% damage boost:
    “We have gone through pretty much every ability in the game to make sure that it’s something that you wanted to use, to make sure that each ability has a use in a certain situation, rather than some abilities and morphs being obviously better than others.'
    Specifically Haste got rework, here is how:
    Haste (Nightblade) – this was a cool concept, but because of light attack weaving this ability was never really useful or powerful. We replaced this ability with “Grim Focus” which is a duration buff which grants the “Minor Damage Done” buff for around 20 seconds. It tracks how many times you have attacked your target. Once you have done 8 attacks, it swaps to a new attack that allows you to summon a spectral bow which shoots the enemy for a high amount of damage. This is really cool because it’s a highly interactive ability."

Grim Focus would have been made to its full potential if it were a toggle like Siphoning Strikes, where you had to place it on both bars. If Grim Focus was designed like it was stated, "Once you have done 8 attacks", and not 8 Light or Heavy attacks, Magicka Nightblades could finally have a quality burst like a Sorcerer's Crystal Fragment proc. Another way to revamp Grim Focus is to allow it to not refresh the amount of Light or Heavy attacks you've done once you refresh the 20 second spell, although when the spell turns into Assassin's Will players are not allowed to refresh anymore which is depressing, thus toggle is the only way to fix this hyped spell.

If you're too lazy to read...
    Medium Armor's Spell Resist should be lowered so Light Armor builds can actually have sufficient damage against them (Nirnhoned will be fixed #Soon). Lotus Fan should be revamped to the Magicka equivalent of Ambush (i.e. 20% damage boost on next hit). Every magicka build but Sorcs are pigeonholed into using Entropy for their 20% spell damage (which requires a target) while stamina builds have Momentum. Make Grim Focus a toggle so Magicka can have a sufficient burst.
    In all, Magicka Nightblades are the shallow carcass of the new and improved Stamina Nightblade.

Edit: Bolded the parts I thought were important in the main read.
    Edit 2: Just wanted to state, with Funnel Health at a base of 5813 Magic Damage and with 7/7 Light, only 14k Spell Resist drops Funnel Health to 3.8k Magic Damage. This is pitiful, while Medium Armor builds negate our 3-4k Armor almost entirely for near full damage.
    Edited by Samuel_Bantien on April 26, 2015 5:49AM
    Zaxon
    PC NA
    Ebonheart:
    Magicka Dragonknight: Suedoú
    Magicka Nightblade: Suedou
    Magicka Sorcerer: Suedoe
  • Whyn Aurum
    Whyn Aurum
    ✭✭✭
    @Whyn Aurum

Magicka based NB is still good. Something you need to realize, a lot of people that post in the PvP section don't PvP that much or that well. That said you get a lot of really bad and inaccurate advice. I find it hilarious you can find the same people in almost every thread giving their "stellar" advice about stuff they don't even understand. For goodness sake there is a reason why almost every thread is a whine or a cry for x to be nerfed. "Rise of the...", "weakest class/strongest class" poll, "how to balance..", etc are plentiful and it's the same dunderheaded fartbrains posting.

I have seen several NBs that have tremendous burst. Yes CP are nice and do help, but they are nowhere near as overpowered as the crybabies make it out to be. If you are vr14 with the right gear you can do about 17-20k pretty quickly with just basic NB skills like Teleport(insert morph)/Concealed with a light attack weaved before another Concealed. I mean for crying outloud some of the #1 players on certain campaigns are magicka nightblades. Don't listen to the noobs.

Nice to see a different opinion.
    The thing is that I created this thread for advice concerning the magicka NB and so far all I've been getting is negative - neutral feedback. It'd be really something if a true high tier magicka NB could chop in as well, but I don't want to question the feedback of people that has posted above, since for me it is as much valiable as any other.
  • Whyn Aurum
    Whyn Aurum
    ✭✭✭
    @Whyn Aurum

Hi! <3 I got your mail asking for advice in game, but... I must argue there is reasons why Stamina Nightblades triumph over their Magicka counterparts. I am only playing a magicka build due to being a Breton.

The reason Magicka Nightblade gankers (the 1.5 Magicka Gank build) is because Ambush (which used to give 38% more damage on the next hit in 1.5) is now a Stamina Morph, thus destroying the Ambush, Dark Cloak, Soul Harvest combo for Magicka Nightblades. WTB a revamp for Lotus Fan to be the Magicka equivalent of Ambush. In the current state of the game, Teleporting Strike is better than Lotus Fan. There is two major problems with Stamina Nightblades: one is how well Stamina and Weapon Damage scale with the Stamina Morphs (i.e. Ambush, Killer's Blade, and Surprise Attack). The 2nd major problem, which is also why Sorcerer's are "OP nerf plz" status, is because Momentum gives 20% more weapon damage without requiring a target - like the 20% spell damage buff from Surge, while every other class is required/forced to use Entropy for their 20% spell damage boost.

Another problem is that medium armor gives 3/4ths (correct me if i'm wrong) the Spell Resist of Heavy Armor, which stacks well with Nirnhoned while Light Armor gives squat amount of armor to counter Medium. Medium > Light in all matters of bursting due to Nirnhoned and lack of spell penetration. The current state of balancing Magicka V. Stamina would be to bring down the spell resist of Medium armor, and either increase or leave Light Armor's spell resist as is, the main point is to lower Medium Armor's spell resist.

Concerning Mark Target, Light Armor only gives 4736 spell penetration and Mark Target gives 5120 spell penetration which would equal out to 9856 Spell Pen, while 7/7 Medium Armor user w/o Nirnhoned have about 12k Spell Resist, this is fine for us Nightblade Magicka builds who use Mark Target if that medium armor user is not wearing Nirnhoned, but not every Nightblade uses Mark Target. Now the majority of the Stamina Nightblades use Mark Target, while 7/7 Light Armor users have around 3-4k Armor - Meaning, Mark Target ignores every bit of armor 7/7 light armor users have #hardcounter, and light armor does not have much or have the spell pen to go through any amount of spell resist medium armor users have. Normal Light armor users barely have any penetration if the enemy is a Breton in a full set of Light Armor due to the 3000 spell resistance racial.

9 times out of 10, gankers will choose the player with the robe on due to knowing how hard they will hit and burst that light armor player. As for Magicka Nightblades, we lack a sufficient burst that will kill players before they get up after they're knocked off a horse (that sort of time frame). I have placed feedback that Grim Focus (and morphs) should be a toggle. Grim Focus was hyped beyond the capabilities it is at right now, which is only the 8% damage boost:
    “We have gone through pretty much every ability in the game to make sure that it’s something that you wanted to use, to make sure that each ability has a use in a certain situation, rather than some abilities and morphs being obviously better than others.'
    Specifically Haste got rework, here is how:
    Haste (Nightblade) – this was a cool concept, but because of light attack weaving this ability was never really useful or powerful. We replaced this ability with “Grim Focus” which is a duration buff which grants the “Minor Damage Done” buff for around 20 seconds. It tracks how many times you have attacked your target. Once you have done 8 attacks, it swaps to a new attack that allows you to summon a spectral bow which shoots the enemy for a high amount of damage. This is really cool because it’s a highly interactive ability."

Grim Focus would have been made to its full potential if it were a toggle like Siphoning Strikes, where you had to place it on both bars. If Grim Focus was designed like it was stated, "Once you have done 8 attacks", and not 8 Light or Heavy attacks, Magicka Nightblades could finally have a quality burst like a Sorcerer's Crystal Fragment proc. Another way to revamp Grim Focus is to allow it to not refresh the amount of Light or Heavy attacks you've done once you refresh the 20 second spell, although when the spell turns into Assassin's Will players are not allowed to refresh anymore which is depressing, thus toggle is the only way to fix this hyped spell.

If you're too lazy to read...
    Medium Armor's Spell Resist should be lowered so Light Armor builds can actually have sufficient damage against them (Nirnhoned will be fixed #Soon). Lotus Fan should be revamped to the Magicka equivalent of Ambush (i.e. 20% damage boost on next hit). Every magicka build but Sorcs are pigeonholed into using Entropy for their 20% spell damage (which requires a target) while stamina builds have Momentum. Make Grim Focus a toggle so Magicka can have a sufficient burst.
    In all, Magicka Nightblades are the shallow carcass of the new and improved Stamina Nightblade.

Edit: Bolded the parts I thought were important in the main read.
    Edit 2: Just wanted to state, with Funnel Health at a base of 5813 Magic Damage and with 7/7 Light, only 14k Spell Resist drops Funnel Health to 3.8k Magic Damage. This is pitiful, while Medium Armor builds negate our 3-4k Armor almost entirely for near full damage.

Wow, amazing read.
    I'm glad you were able to throw in your opinion on this. I can't do anything else but agree that the armors need massive balancing.

The aspect of Grim Focus really does have potential although I do agree that it should be a toggable ability.

Momentum vs Entropy - yeah...

I think ZOS is afraid of being stapled "lazy" for creating similar abilities in magicka vs. stamina. It is very hard to create a well proportioned game both in PvE and PvP but I've seen it done before, and as this game has the best PvP potential I have EVER seen in any MMO, I think it is a shame that ZOS doesn't give PvP balancing the attention it really needs and reserves.
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whyn Aurum wrote: »
    Nice to see a different opinion.
    The thing is that I created this thread for advice concerning the magicka NB and so far all I've been getting is negative - neutral feedback. It'd be really something if a true high tier magicka NB could chop in as well, but I don't want to question the feedback of people that has posted above, since for me it is as much valiable as any other.

Put it this way. Magicka NB is a challenging class to play. I enjoy it tremendously. However, if you played magicka nb before 1.6 you will probably have the feeling that you were a little hard done by. :)

• MoneyOverEverything
    radiant magelight (+ dampen -magic) -> the whole (sypher lol) heavy attack fire reach crushing shock build

rly wondering why it needs a whole (build) discussion how to kill bad players, why dont u kill them with just doin light attacks only? they dont have selfheal or gear or pots or experience anyways
    Don`t nerf the hype.
  • Whyn Aurum
    Whyn Aurum
    ✭✭✭
    radiant magelight (+ dampen -magic) -> the whole (sypher lol) heavy attack fire reach crushing shock build

rly wondering why it needs a whole (build) discussion how to kill bad players, why dont u kill them with just doin light attacks only? they dont have selfheal or gear or pots or experience anyways

Yeah I scrapped that build, seems too situation dependent
  • Xael
    Xael
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad you got my message, I didn't think it went through, I kept losing my connection last night in Cyro. I know I did not send all of it, but the goal was to get you on the forum.

One important thing you are leaving out of your post, is it is extremely possible to absolutely crush people with a magicka based nightblade. I get that they are far from perfect and need a lot of tweaks. Let's be honest, this game is an absolute mess.

I saw firsthand you running around and melting vr14s last night. In fact you killed me from my horse before I had time to react (maybe lag, maybe ***, dunno). I then saw you get sniped by a nightblade with 3100 weapon power, barely take any damage from him (I'm assuming Mirage or Double Take?) turn around and kill him like he was nothing. I even saw a sorc video last night where you were able to dump him from 100% to dead in the span of a Mass Hysteria. You basically floated around the battlefield like death.

My question to you in game last night was based around Teleport, as your follow up Concealed's hit rather hard considering my gear and CP. Are you stacking spell damage? I usually don't die to magicka based NBs, let alone get killed outright while on a horse. For a build that is allegedly subpar and lacking, you sure break the mold. :)
    I got killed in pvp, nerf everything...
  • jmoore59
    jmoore59
    ✭✭

I am glad you got my message, I didn't think it went through, I kept losing my connection last night in Cyro. I know I did not send all of it, but the goal was to get you on the forum.

One important thing you are leaving out of your post, is it is extremely possible to absolutely crush people with a magicka based nightblade. I get that they are far from perfect and need a lot of tweaks. Let's be honest, this game is an absolute mess.

I saw firsthand you running around and melting vr14s last night. In fact you killed me from my horse before I had time to react (maybe lag, maybe ***, dunno). I then saw you get sniped by a nightblade with 3100 weapon power, barely take any damage from him (I'm assuming Mirage or Double Take?) turn around and kill him like he was nothing. I even saw a sorc video last night where you were able to dump him from 100% to dead in the span of a Mass Hysteria. You basically floated around the battlefield like death.

My question to you in game last night was based around Teleport, as your follow up Concealed's hit rather hard considering my gear and CP. Are you stacking spell damage? I usually don't die to magicka based NBs, let alone get killed outright while on a horse. For a build that is allegedly subpar and lacking, you sure break the mold. :)

I would like to know your build as well
  • Samuel_Bantien
    Samuel_Bantien
    ✭✭✭

Hey! I'm flattered by your comments. I won't directly give away my build unless many people ask for it (because it would be a long write up), secret Magicka Nightblade Society and all that... but I do not run Blur (and morphs) at all, because I have found that dodging attacks kicks you out of Dark Cloak - meaning, if a bow user Snipes you and you Dark Cloak when the snipe is in the air -if Blur's 20% dodge chance procs and you dodge the Snipe then you will be kicked out of stealth. Not worth using in my opinion.

I'm running two different set ups, one has 2.3k spell damage which is the glass cannon with hardly any sustain, and the other one with Engine Guardian you see in this post is only running a max of 1500 spell damage but with sustain. I don't use entropy because I literally hate it for Player Vs. Player. The only reason I hate it is because it literally takes you out of stealth for everyone to watch you try to recoup and stealth away just to have the duration dwindle to set yourself up.:
    Ezareth wrote: »
    100% Stamina, Break free pressed probably 15 times, nothing happens.

This doesn't happen with Petrify or any other CC skill in the game but this has been happening constantly since 1.6. You can't fix the lag fine. That at least affects everyone equally. I'm tired of dying continuously to bugs that are easy to reproduce and just as easy to fix.

These kind of bugs continually infesting the combat system are killing your game and PvP in general. If I had to guess the bug with fear got introduced when the bug was fixed that allowed you to block while feared. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_BrianWheeler Someone needs to get on top of this. I'm headed back to grinding CP until PvP gets fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMcY_dbo52s&amp;feature=youtu.be
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/167789/fear-fix-it#latest

Most cases i'm running the Engine Guardian set up because that is the set up that has the Magicka sustain so I can spam cloak or fear for a long time. The only problem with Engine Guardian is that the pet doesn't stay in stealth like Sorcerer pets so that can give you away. In the video you are talking about, Ezareth experienced the dreaded CC break bug where it wouldn't allow him to break free.

Some teases about my build for those interested. :)

Zaxon
    PC NA
    Ebonheart:
  • Whyn Aurum
    Whyn Aurum
    ✭✭✭
    @Samuel_Bantien

If you are running engine guardian than is it fair to assume you are into group play? The guardian proc would ruin the whole premise of stealth gameplay. Care to evaluate further? I'm also interested in build, we all have to work together to make this magicka NB enjoyable
  • Samuel_Bantien
    Samuel_Bantien
    ✭✭✭
    @Whyn Aurum

I am mostly solo, most of my fights are 1 (me) versus X (multiple people). I use engine guardian because it provides a different kind of sustain and some people miss hit the pet sometimes. My stealth game varies sometimes - sometimes it is taking players out one at a time or multiple people at the same time. The engine guardian can also be quite misleading if you look at the video above. Most of my build can be seen in the video above too. :)
    Zaxon
    PC NA
    Ebonheart:
  • jmoore59
    jmoore59
    ✭✭
    @Whyn Aurum

I am mostly solo, most of my fights are 1 (me) versus X (multiple people). I use engine guardian because it provides a different kind of sustain and some people miss hit the pet sometimes. My stealth game varies sometimes - sometimes it is taking players out one at a time or multiple people at the same time. The engine guardian can also be quite misleading if you look at the video above. Most of my build can be seen in the video above too. :)

I will watch it as well I am very interested.

Noob question. Where are people getting this super high spell power? Currently have 27k magic but spell power is listed as only 1236
  • Samuel_Bantien
    Samuel_Bantien
    ✭✭✭
    @jmoore59
    Magicka does not increase your spell damage on the stat sheet but it does increase the amount of damage your spells do.

Generally VR14 Martial Knowledge will grant the most spell damage. When upgraded to purple you get:
    2 Piece) 900 Maximum Magicka
    3 Piece) 171 Spell Damage
    4 Piece) 171 Spell Damage
    5 Piece) After you hit an enemy, they take 10% additional damage from the next damaging attack. This effect can happen once every 4 seconds.

Adroitness adds 164 spell damage as a 2 piece, but can only be found as VR12. Most people build around the necklace and a random piece (V12 staff is not in-game must be an armor piece).

Cyrodiil's Light rings are on the rage as they're ring slots, 171 spell damage for the 2 piece.

And now you have room for 2 more pieces of armor plus weapon slots. Torug's (171 spell damage) or Worm Cult (164 spell damage) or an undaunted set if you're lucky with the Worm Cult. Your weapon slot is open for whatever you feel like putting; master's weapon, Torug's.

Generally people will run 4 Martial, 2 Adroitness (necklace & set piece), 2 Cyrodiil's Light (rings only), and have 2 open armor slots and 1 or 2 slots for weapons. Placing a staff on your bar and having 3 Torug's Pact pieces will set you at around 2000 spell damage without spell damage enchants on your jewelry.

I should probably start my own thread or submit something to the Battle Master's Corner page about my build. :)
    Zaxon
    PC NA
    Ebonheart:
  • jmoore59
    jmoore59
    ✭✭
    @jmoore59
    Magicka does not increase your spell damage on the stat sheet but it does increase the amount of damage your spells do.

Generally VR14 Martial Knowledge will grant the most spell damage. When upgraded to purple you get:
    2 Piece) 900 Maximum Magicka
    3 Piece) 171 Spell Damage
    4 Piece) 171 Spell Damage
    5 Piece) After you hit an enemy, they take 10% additional damage from the next damaging attack. This effect can happen once every 4 seconds.

Adroitness adds 164 spell damage as a 2 piece, but can only be found as VR12. Most people build around the necklace and a random piece (V12 staff is not in-game must be an armor piece).

Cyrodiil's Light rings are on the rage as they're ring slots, 171 spell damage for the 2 piece.

And now you have room for 2 more pieces of armor plus weapon slots. Torug's (171 spell damage) or Worm Cult (164 spell damage) or an undaunted set if you're lucky with the Worm Cult. Your weapon slot is open for whatever you feel like putting; master's weapon, Torug's.

Generally people will run 4 Martial, 2 Adroitness (necklace & set piece), 2 Cyrodiil's Light (rings only), and have 2 open armor slots and 1 or 2 slots for weapons. Placing a staff on your bar and having 3 Torug's Pact pieces will set you at around 2000 spell damage without spell damage enchants on your jewelry.

I should probably start my own thread or submit something to the Battle Master's Corner page about my build. :)

Thanks for the info!

You should so I can steal ideas from your play style.

Currently I have 3 torugs and 5 whitestakes hmm will try 2 torugs 2 adroitness and 2 cyrodills. I really like that damage shield from whitestrakes.
  • Wycks
    Wycks
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play a similar spell power heavy build, with 1980 SP, 24.5k mag 24.6 health (with food) and 900 magicka regen - 5 light and 2 heavy pieces.

Syphers build is mediocre compared to a stam build, and his video is not what you should expect if playing this the majority of the time, so your experience of it being tough is normal.

Going glass cannon with stealth I can burst people down but generally speaking its not a very strong build in small groups or even solo, it's very situational and any exposure opens you up to being 2-3 shot. Its not a consistent play-style and often you will be doing practically zero dmg against opponents with reflect, nirn armour and self shields, not to mentioned chain dodge, you have to be patient and time everything which in the current bursty nature of pvp is not easy.

The facts are:
    Nirnhoned is too strong
    Stamina builds are popular and chain dodging can now be done a lot more.
    Entropy is crap in pvp
    To survive you need Harness + Ward which does not synergize well with dps.

Its a very strong pve build but in pvp it very mediocre atm, hopefull that changes soon.

Edited by Wycks on April 27, 2015 1:34AM
    The numbers thing is always going to be there, but it’s more down to player skill and there are ways through ability choice to configure a group to be stronger vs. large groups of people. - BRAIN WHEELER - 2012 - LOL
  • jmoore59
    jmoore59
    ✭✭
    So I have changed my play style, I live a lot longer but my biggest problem is I can't seem to find the burst to kill anyone.

Example fighting a sorc for about 2-3 mins until a Zerg showed up and I fled. I don't think I ever got him below 80% after burning through his shields and he would just recast it.

I seem to be running into the trap of in order to stay alive I have to drop damage but when I switch bars to do damage I have to almost immediately switch back to restro to heal or I die.

While before 1.6 IE July. As a v12 I had enough passive healing and avoidance with cloak to maintain dps and swap to restro staff when needed.

I do block and roll ect, if not I would just be burned down. So is the key to just stack spell power? I am lacking in that department as I stated earlier I only have torugs currently for spell power increase.
    Edited by jmoore59 on April 27, 2015 3:22AM
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The facts are:
    Nirnhoned is too strong
    Stamina builds are popular and chain dodging can now be done a lot more.
    Entropy is crap in pvp
    To survive you need Harness + Ward which does not synergize well with dps.

Its a very strong pve build but in pvp it very mediocre atm, hopefull that changes soon.

My opinion about your facts
    Entropy gives you Major Empower, which is very handy for bursting people down.
    You don't need Harness Magicka to survive at all. Much more important is good use of Dark Cloak.
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hit the 2,7k Spelldmg with 23k HP, 27k MP and 12k AP and two or three items are just purple. With these stats Magicka-NB is pretty funny. ;)
    Edited by ChefZero on April 27, 2015 5:45AM
    PC EU - DC only
  • Whyn Aurum
    Whyn Aurum
    ✭✭✭
    ChefZero wrote: »
    I hit the 2,7k Spelldmg with 23k HP, 27k MP and 12k AP and two or three items are just purple. With these stats Magicka-NB is pretty funny. ;)

Instead of teasing everyone, why don't you tell us what you are using and how its working out?

@jmoore59
    Dude, I am running 5x whitestake, 5x warlock and 1xbloodspawn. I have only 1k spell damage, goes up to 1.5k with entropy and I still am able to win 1v3. The burst damage is only good if you are really into ganking.
  • RainfeatherUK
    RainfeatherUK
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »
    My opinion about your facts
    Entropy gives you Major Empower, which is very handy for bursting people down.
    You don't need Harness Magicka to survive at all. Much more important is good use of Dark Cloak.

Yep. What you quoted was pretty much garbage lol.

Use entropy all the time, precisely for the reason you gave.
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭

Instead of teasing everyone, why don't you tell us what you are using and how its working out?

@jmoore59
    Dude, I am running 5x whitestake, 5x warlock and 1xbloodspawn. I have only 1k spell damage, goes up to 1.5k with entropy and I still am able to win 1v3. The burst damage is only good if you are really into ganking.

Sry Dude, but i prefer to hide my builds from enemy eyes. I'm not this kind of guy, who make streams, videos, builds etc for everyone available.
    PC EU - DC only
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

@jmoore59

Sry Dude, but i prefer to hide my builds from enemy eyes. I'm not this kind of guy, who make streams, videos, builds etc for everyone available.
    Are you another TagaParti?
  • Poxheart
    Poxheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poxheart wrote: »
    I played a melee magicka NB extensively prior to 1.6, but that build is dead now. My old build had very high burst that could kill people in 2 to 5 moves and still had great escape tools. I've tried playing magicka NB after 1.6 (similar armor/skills listed by you) and it just doesn't work for a couple of reasons. First: nirnhoned armor. Seems like most enemies have capped spell resistance which means magicka attacks inflict less damage than stamina attacks. This may change if/when ZoS changes the nirnhoned trait. Second: dodging. (Almost) everybody has gone to stamina based builds so most opponents dodge all your ranged attacks and getting close to use concealed weapons means that you're going to eat wrecking blows.

The pendulum has swung the other direction. If you want to play a high burst, elusive NB, then respec to stamina.

Magicka NB does pretty well in dungeons though, which is why I haven't switched to stamina yet. By staying with magicka I can swap armor & go from DPS to heals if needed. But won't take my NB to Cyrodiil until I switch back to stamina.

So basically it's not good in 1.6 is what you're saying. Thats very depressing as I've invested all my money earned during leveling for the pvp sets, oh god...

That is what I'm saying. I spent a lot of money on magicka gear for my NB, too.
    Unsubbed and no longer playing, but still checking the Alliance War forum for the lulz.

Pox Dragon Knight
    Poxheart Nightblade
    The Murder Hobo Dragon Knight - Blackwater Blade
    Knights of the WhiteWolf
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played a melee magicka NB extensively prior to 1.6, but that build is dead now. My old build had very high burst that could kill people in 2 to 5 moves and still had great escape tools. I've tried playing magicka NB after 1.6 (similar armor/skills listed by you) and it just doesn't work for a couple of reasons. First: nirnhoned armor. Seems like most enemies have capped spell resistance which means magicka attacks inflict less damage than stamina attacks. This may change if/when ZoS changes the nirnhoned trait. Second: dodging. (Almost) everybody has gone to stamina based builds so most opponents dodge all your ranged attacks and getting close to use concealed weapons means that you're going to eat wrecking blows.

The pendulum has swung the other direction. If you want to play a high burst, elusive NB, then respec to stamina.

Magicka NB does pretty well in dungeons though, which is why I haven't switched to stamina yet. By staying with magicka I can swap armor & go from DPS to heals if needed. But won't take my NB to Cyrodiil until I switch back to stamina.

So basically it's not good in 1.6 is what you're saying. Thats very depressing as I've invested all my money earned during leveling for the pvp sets, oh god...

That is what I'm saying. I spent a lot of money on magicka gear for my NB, too.
    It's still better than Stamina builds were before 1.6. Nightblade Healing is also better than before 1.6. Roaming around for solo PvP however...
  • RobBrookeb16_ESO
    Stam is current meta, but magicka is still playable. Play to your strengths ;)

http://vk.com/video303507647_171468544

• djyrb
    djyrb
    ✭✭✭

Please do! Don't forget Tamriel Foundry as another popular discussion board for builds, and it has less of a chance of getting buried than on these official forums.

I'm just getting into PVP with my Breton Nightblade and I don't really want to go with the stamina builds on this character. I'm feeling like I'm grasping at straws some with my gear and skill choices right now.

(This is message is brought to you by a banana that was ganked by you twice while on siege, and amazed by a Magicka Detonation/Soul Tether combo you did shortly after to take down a bunch of teammates on Haderus a week or so ago :smile: )
  • TheBucket
    TheBucket
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is not to many skills out there that make that big of a difference between any of the magic NB builds. It really depends on the player and not the build. I could take any build out there and make it useful. Doesn't make it a good build.
    William Reignes
    Magic Nightblade - Rogue Bomber
    Creator of Thirsty Thief Build (Retired 1.5)
  • Whyn Aurum
    Whyn Aurum
    ✭✭✭
    TheBucket wrote: »
    There is not to many skills out there that make that big of a difference between any of the magic NB builds. It really depends on the player and not the build. I could take any build out there and make it useful. Doesn't make it a good build.

Partialy true, a good player will make most things work. But there are still optimal ways to build a magicka nb