The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Templar Help :(

WelshySnow
Hi guys, so I have just reached level 20 and I am still a little unsure how to exactly play my character. I have used a destruction staff, healing staff and a bow and I am still wondering what to do.

My main goal would be to heal in dungeons and use bow as DPS but then this will require me to change gear and attributes a lot wouldn't it? I need help in deciding... I have always played Cleric's and ranged DPS in other MMO's and especially love the look of the Templar gear as they level :D

Can anyone help me?

Thank you guys! :)
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey ya!

Keep to your healing staff and destro staff. Put that bow away if you are looking into magicka builds. You can still use it though but more for utility then damage.

Imo, starting up you can always put all your points into magicka, with perhaps enchant your gear with abit of health. As a Templar, keeping yourself alive is not much of a problem with your class healing skills but it helps if you kill the mob faster than they can hit you.

I use inferno staff for dps and resto for healing in dungeons. Destructive reach, binding javelin, sunfire and force pulse helps bring down mobs 1v1.

Keep rite of passage on your dps bar, it helps with levelling the healing tree and also acts as your emergency heals during combat. You are going to gain alot of ultimate if you alternate heavy attacks with spells.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • WelshySnow
    Awesome Thanks for the great advise :D I was wondering what's your characters name? Would you mind if I add you in game Uniq? :)
  • Lord_Kreegan
    Lord_Kreegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on how many traits you've researched for your preferred armor, look into ultimately getting a set of Seducer complemented with "of the Warlock" jewelry and armor other than the five pieces you need for the Seducer set. You'll find that you then have plenty of Magicka for almost all situations. I even use heavy armor on both of my Templars (the closest I could get to a Paladin build). With Magicka enchantments on the armor, I don't run out.

Set up one skill bar for healing; the other for whatever weapon you want to use. One of my Templars uses a Destruction Staff-Restoration Staff combination; the other uses a Two-Handed Sword-Restoration Staff combination. The Two-handed Sword offers a nice interrupt, something the Templar class is fundamentally missing even though it is pretty essential to beat some bosses in PvE.

When using your Restoration Staff, press the LMB down and leave it down. You'll get heavy attacks and they'll restore your Magicka. Press your 1-2-3-4-5 keys as you need; you'll automatically get animation-cancelling while still getting the restoration of Magicka. Saves you from thinking about what to do with your right hand's index finger, too...

The Min-Maxers will tell you that you must do this and must do that for the highest DPS, but the Templar built for healing isn't a high DPS class and you'll just be screwing yourself. Find what fits your personality; find what you enjoy; plan for it and go for it. Up through the mid-20's, the Templar is a very capable class. After that it loses a lot of its robustness in combat, but remains the best healer in game by far.
  • WelshySnow
    Thanks for the advise :) Where can I find the vendor to buy gear ... I play a wood elf on AD :)
  • WelshySnow
    If your online now I would very much apprieciate the help if you could whisper me @Welshymelon I would be very grateful :)
  • Lord_Kreegan
    Lord_Kreegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WelshySnow wrote: »
    Thanks for the advise :) Where can I find the vendor to buy gear ... I play a wood elf on AD :)

Seducer set is crafted; I don't recall exactly where the crafting stations are for that set in AD. I play eight characters distributed between the three factions, with four of them veteran rank (meaning I end up going through individual faction zones again), so all the various zones tend to blur together after awhile.

IIRC, the Seducer set is crafted in the second major zone for each faction (e.g., Grahtwood). You might see some being sold by guild traders, but they'll be overpriced. Everything sold by guild traders is overpriced, often ridiculously so.

I first started seeing "of the Warlock" pieces in those same zones, although I've seen them in higher level zones, too. Check with guild traders if you want to buy it, but expect them to be overpriced.
  • Elder_III
    Elder_III
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go to your alliance's Capital and ask in Zone chat for someone to craft a set of Seducer armor for you. Specify that you are willing to pay for the service and you should have someone to do it within a few minutes. :)
    Semi retired from the trading aspects of the game.
  • Lord_Kreegan
    Lord_Kreegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd offer to craft them myself, but with limited bank space for eight characters, I don't keep crafting resources below the level of my characters.
  • WelshySnow
    Thank you all so much for your information :) A guildie kindly made me a set of light Armour with 1 piece of Heavy armor to help me level them both :) I feel strongly now that I can level both up and have a choice at the end game armour. I have decided to choose both destruction and healing staff... I healed for the first time in a dungeon the other day... I really enjoyed it :)
  • WelshySnow
    Does anyone know a good dps and Heal build for a spell caster templar? :)
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the late reaponse, was on flight and just reached the hotel. My Ingame name is @RavenSworn, send me a tell or mail and i'll hook u up to some builds ive been trying out.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • WelshySnow
    Oh awesome :D Thank you.... I am finding it difficult to add you... Can you try and add me @WelshyMelon? :)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know a good dps and Heal build for a spell caster templar? :)

Yes. I can help you with this. Actually, I already did in your other thread where I talked about the skill rotation to use.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to keep in mind with Healing. A Templar has Class Skills that heal, but they cover an area, like "Nearby Allies". Where the Healing Staff allows you target a Healing spell to a specific ally.

I have never used a Healing staff myself, I find the first 3 skills in the Templar line to be just fine for healing. But, I have also not done any high end group dungeons where maybe the targeted healing would be more situationally effective.

Which is why my Templar runs a Destro staff on both bars. One bar is Templar Skills, one bar is Destro Staff skills for the most part. Although I do mix in Templar stuff on the Destro staff focused bar.

• RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a note, I am currently in @nestor guild so hook up with his lone wolfs and we might help you out more.

I have my own guild too but its not nice to pull peeps from potential wolfers :)

Of Wolf and Raven
  • WelshySnow
    Thank you again! I have just looked up the post and learned a few things :D Thanks for your great advise!
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know much about low level play of templars, since I lvl'ed my little templar in another era x_x

...however seducer + torugs pact should be the best build, 1 piece heavy, 1 piece medium to lvl up all 3 armor skill lines.
    (seducer + warlock is best, but Warlock is hard to get before v1, and the v12 warlock rings are insane ..cost 300-900k each due to low drop rate.)

You gotta lvl up destro and resto staff. Resto staff provides low cost heals and good buffs, destro staff provides good buffs too - and is good for dps as well if still quest, and need to hold your own.

Resto staff skills and morphs that are good:
    Grand Healing - Healing Springs (you gain a little magicka back for the healing you give, and the healing area is big - can be spammed but needs targetting)
    Regeneration - Rapid Regeneration (the heals tick good, this and Healing Springs are a very good combination, can somewhat be spammed)
    Blessing of Protection - Combat Prayer (buffs the damage dealers damage and provides a little spell resistance, in cases where people stack this can sometimes replace Healing Springs.)
    Force Siphon - Siphon Spirit (use this on an enemy and you and your team gain health and magicka back for each hit you give the enemy, it has a long casting time though and is therefore best on bosses - not mobs.)

Destruction staff skills and morphs that are good:
    Force Shock - Crushing Shock ( it stuns and sets enemies off balance if you use it while they channel a skill. The other morph gives more damage, but has no crowd control so this morph is far superior, specially if you solo and still quest.)
    Weakness to Elements - Elemental Drain (this skill provides 2 buffs to you and your team. 1 you gain magicka back for hitting the target, 2 you weaken the target against elemental damage, so if your team uses destruction staff or other elemental skills, they will give 40% more damage with each hit for some seconds. This is mainly used on mobs so that your team does not run low on magicka while they kill them, and on bosses to weaken them and the fight takes a little less time to finish. )
    Impulse - Elemental Ring and Pulsar - Elemental Ring gives damage over time and Pulsar shortens the hitpoints of the enemies for some seconds. Both morphs are good, and depends on what you prefer to use really. You can lvl both morphs, see what you prefer and keep that one.

Class skills and morphs that are good:
    Aedric Spear skillline:

Puncturing Strikes - Puncturing Sweep (The other morph is stamina based and scales with weapon damage, so make sure you get this morph of it. This skill can be spammed, it heals you for 40% of the damage you do, all you need really to fight against mobs and solo stuff. It goes good against single targets, bosses, mobs ...basically if you solo a lot, this might be better for you than destruction staff skills to kill with. It doesn't kill that fast, but is veeeery good for survival.)
    Spear Shards - Blazing Spear (In case you intend to do healing and damage, this morph stuns 1 enemy. You can throw one of these in a mob or on a boss, then go finish it off with Puncturing Strickes/Impulse/Force Shock. Some tanks with low stamina regen love when the healer throws them a spear, so they gain stamina back for blocking. )
    Sun Shield - Blasing Shield (Just a good tanky shield that provides damage, in case the tank dies you can protect yourself. It's also good to cast before going into a mob when you solo dungeons.)

Dawns Wrath skillline:

Ultimate: Nova - Solar Prison and Solar Disturbance. (both morphs are good), always use it in dungeons where you join as a healer, as the bosses and mobs deal 30% less damage after you hit them with it for some seconds. It comes in veeeery handy.
    Sun Fire - Reflective Light (this skill hits 3 targets at once, and is good to cast before you go into a mob, just like Spear Shards, however it does not provide any crowd control, but gives dots and hurts more than Spear Shards.)
    Eclipse - Total Dark and Unstable Core (this skill is not really needed, but it is sooooo awesome to make flame atronachs and casters to kill themselves - just get out of their AoE as this only works reflects single target skills. It's also fun as hell in cyrodiil ^^ )
    Radiant Destruction - Radiant Opression (The new templar execution skill everyone in cyrodiil cries about, the almighty Jesus Beam. Use it against targets with less than 30% health and watch them die fast.)

Restoring Light skillline:
    Ultimate: Rite of Passage - Remembrence (this is not really needed, but some teams prefer this ultimate over Nova. Targets take 20% less damage compared to Nova's enemies deal 30% less damage).
    Rushed Ceremony - Breath of Life. (Never use the other morph, this one is superior by a million miles. It is the main reason templars are used as healers.)
    Restoring Aura - Radiant Aura and Repentance. (Radiant Aura for pve, Repentance for pvp if you join zergs and large groups) Slot this skill and you get 10% magicka, health and stamina regen - use it to provide your team with stamina and health regen.
    Cleansing Ritual - Purifying Ritual (your allies recieve more health from healing in the area, and get purified from their health debuffs, it's mainly used in PvP but is also good in pve for a dedicated healer.)

x_x the list above is about as simple as I can put it, and you don't need more than that - but there are also all the mageguild, fighters guild and undaunted skills that are good.

Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on April 22, 2015 6:06PM
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys, so I have just reached level 20 and I am still a little unsure how to exactly play my character. I have used a destruction staff, healing staff and a bow and I am still wondering what to do.

My main goal would be to heal in dungeons and use bow as DPS but then this will require me to change gear and attributes a lot wouldn't it? I need help in deciding... I have always played Cleric's and ranged DPS in other MMO's and especially love the look of the Templar gear as they level :D

Can anyone help me?

Thank you guys! :)

Use what ever you have the most fun with and switch when the levels get up there. On my templar I was using dual weapons until into the Veteran Levels. Take some time here and there and use a Restoration Staff and go heal some dungeons to help work up those skills. Also get new items made with "training" on them so they increase your levels faster.

You can also change out your weapons to something different say when they get to 35-40 ish. So when you've gotten Bows to 40, switch to Destruction or Resto Staff and work those up. Then when you are at End Game levels, your not just starting to use a Restoration staff for dungeon healing.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

(seducer + warlock is best, but Warlock is hard to get before v1, and the v12 warlock rings are insane ..cost 300-900k each due to low drop rate.)

I have found L17 to L20 Warlock stuff in the Guild Stores for cheap, like 100 for the Focus. On the other hand, I have also seen them for 10,000 gold too for the low level stuff. So, hit the Guild Kiosks and buy them even if your under leveled for them. Also, put some higher power regen glyphs on the 3 Warlock pieces and they really crank out the regen.

Another set that starts dropping at L30 is Syrbane, you get two Bands and your better than the Warlock 3 Piece from lower levels*. You can find these for 200 gold in the guild kiosks. I use these all the way to VR1, then go Warlock 3 Piece.

*It might even be close or just slightly worse, but Syrbane at L30 is easy to find, and you can get close to parity with better glyphs.

• WelshySnow
    Thanks Nestor great help as always! :D
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

I have found L17 to L20 Warlock stuff in the Guild Stores for cheap, like 100 for the Focus. On the other hand, I have also seen them for 10,000 gold too for the low level stuff. So, hit the Guild Kiosks and buy them even if your under leveled for them. Also, put some higher power regen glyphs on the 3 Warlock pieces and they really crank out the regen.

Another set that starts dropping at L30 is Syrbane, you get two Bands and your better than the Warlock 3 Piece from lower levels*. You can find these for 200 gold in the guild kiosks. I use these all the way to VR1, then go Warlock 3 Piece.

*It might even be close or just slightly worse, but Syrbane at L30 is easy to find, and you can get close to parity with better glyphs.
    I actually recommend reduce cost glyphs, as they are what you gain most from after the 1.6 patch, spell power is gained better from looted armor sets, and the regen will not be a problem once you have the Atronach mundus stone boon and divine trait on your crafted Seducer armor.

Warlock v1 jewelry is easily farmed from undeads in v1 areas, it costs a lot but not out of range for anyone to buy, and the armor pieces cost between 600g -1500g. With that you can have 5 warlock and 5 seducer.

For soloing or healing in dungeons, when you join a group it is pretty much all you need - unless you join a group as damage dealer and not healer, then Syrabane and other sets are better, that boosts spell power and not regen.

Btw. thanks for letting informing about the lvl 30 Syrabane set, I thought they existed only between v5-v12 :D