Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Feed back on "endgame" Enchantment Writs - Issues with quest + rewards

Locke_ESO
Locke_ESO
✭✭✭
I wanted to point out some issues I currently have with Enchantment writs in the hope it will get looked at. I've broken it down for ease of reading:

Quest steps

At present the quest steps on Enchantment writs are to make a Monumental Glyph of Stamina, Magicka or Health and to find a certain type of runestone. The first creation part of this quest is not a big problem however it does make a large dependence on using up Kura Potency rune stones. This is not a major issue except that it would be better if there was more variety to create a better balance especially considering Kura rune stones are the most commonly used in endgame enchanting. I doubt I'm the only one with a huge pile of Kude rune stones and that is always desperate for more Kuras. In general it would also make a lot more sense if the rune stone you are asked to harvest in the second part of the quest was involved in the creation of the Enchantment for the first part (ex.- find a Kude potency runestone and make a Monumental Glyph of Absorb magicka or find a Makko essence runestone to make a Monumental Glyph of Magicka).

The second part of the quest steps to find a certain type of rune stone is a problem imo and if anything needs to be changed it's this. For Potency rune stones you have a 1 in 4 chance of finding the right stone so it's not a big problem (Rede, Rekura, Kura or Kude) and for Aspect rune stones again it's not hard at all to find a Ta (if anything it's too easy). However when you come to finding the Essence rune stones is where it gets stupid. Currently it seems to be Deni, Makko, Oko or Denima on the list of essence stones that you need to find. I'm not sure on the probability for the first 3 but they seem to be fairly easy but the last one can be absolutely ridiculous. Given there are 17 different essence rune stones in the game that you can find your chance is at best 1/17 in finding the correct essence rune stone however I'm pretty certain this is not just a straight number as I'm sure Deni (stamina), Makko (Magicka) and Oko (Health) have some weighting to make them more common. If we assume it's something as simple as x2 likelihood (I suspect it's even more weighted) then that would make your odds of finding a Denima 1/20. Given that every rune stone has a 1/3 chance of being a Aspect, Potency or Essence rune stone you are looking at some pretty long odds to find a Denima just for a simple crafting writ. To put it in context I spent in excess of 2 hours today trying to find one harvesting 116 rune stones and still haven't found one. In future I just won't bother on "Denima days" as it's not worth the hassle.

Rewards

At present the reward for turning in a VR10-14 enchantment is a Crafting map or more commonly a Vr1-3 Green Enchantment. The first one is nice and the second is entirely useless. The Enchantment should be at least VR10-14 so it can be extracted for some useful stones. At present it basically has no use for a 50 skill level enchanter.

Potency Stones

In general it would be great if the possibility of finding a Rekura or Rede potency stone was lowered somewhat in Craglorn (to say 15% for Rede/Rekura and 35% for Kura/Kude). Finding Kuras is more than a little annoying atm and to be honest Rekura and Rede are totally useless as no-one is willing to buy them. For EP Craglorn is really the only decent place to find the Potency stones as Reaper's March just doesn't have enough locations to make it worth farming.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never been asked for any other Essences than Oko, Makko or Deni. Nor have I ever had to make a Glyph with anything but those 3 Runes.

While the L9 Writs do ask for Kuras for the Glyphs* (and quite frankly this is the case on all levels of Enchanting Writs, you only need one Positive Potency Rune for a certain level of writ) I have gotten back just as many as I have used over time. Started these with 61, I now have 62 of them after 40 or so L9 writs.

*My L3 Potency Enchanter is running out of the Potencies she needs, and I can't find any in the stores either. The potencies she does get back are almost never the one she uses for writs.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the writs become much, much easier if you have the items you'll need for them in advance. I keep a stock of all of the essence, potency (well, like you my stock of Kuras tends to be relatively low), and Ta runes in my bank. When a writ asks for a particular rune, I just go to the bank, put the appropriate stack in my inventory, and go turn in the writ.

Enchanting hirelings are a great way to build up stocks of runes. They may give very very low drop rates on Kuta these days, but they're still a good steady supply of other runes - especially if you have them on multiple characters. Otherwise, just always grab every node you see as you pass by, and keep the runes you get from deconstructing glyphs. building and keeping a good stock of runes will save you so much time and effort in the long run.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Locke_ESO
    Locke_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    When a writ asks for a particular rune, I just go to the bank, put the appropriate stack in my inventory, and go turn in the writ.

I'm *face palming* pretty hard right now. I kept a stack in my bank for making the appropriate glyph but never thought simply moving 1 of my stack of 86 Denimas from the vault into my inventory would fill the quest requirements.

The other stuff is still relevant though I think. Changing the reward to be a more useful glyph, marginally decreasing the chance to get a "useless" potency run in Craglorn and creating some variance on whether it needs or a Kude or Kura would still be a good thing to do.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Locke_ESO wrote: »
    I'm *face palming* pretty hard right now. I kept a stack in my bank for making the appropriate glyph but never thought simply moving 1 of my stack of 86 Denimas from the vault into my inventory would fill the quest requirements.

The other stuff is still relevant though I think. Changing the reward to be a more useful glyph, marginally decreasing the chance to get a "useless" potency run in Craglorn and creating some variance on whether it needs or a Kude or Kura would still be a good thing to do.

I have 3 characters doing Enchanting Writs. I gave each of them a 10 stack of Deni, Makko and Oko Runes, along with a 10 stack of Ta's. Now they never have to go to the bank to complete a writ. The surveys that occasionally trickle in replace these with enough frequency that I have not had to restock.

However I do agree that we should be given more types of Glyphs to make (meaning they use different Potency Runes) because only one Rune type gets used up doing writs.

Weird I can find L1 Potency Runes quite easy, and L9 Potency Runes are falling off the trees in the guild stores. L3? Nope.

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When a writ asks for a particular rune, I just go to the bank, put the appropriate stack in my inventory, and go turn in the writ.

When writs first came out I was always very careful to only have 1 of the rune requested in my inventory, because I thought that if I had more, it would take the whole stack... One day I decided to risk it and have 2 Ta in my inventory when a writ called for a Ta. Turned out I had been wasting my time splitting stacks in order to only have 1 in my inventory, because it only took 1 from me. The only point of this story is that we've all had these face palm moments when we realize we've been doing things in a way that makes it harder for ourselves...
    Agreed.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When writs first came out I was always very careful to only have 1 of the rune requested in my inventory, because I thought that if I had more, it would take the whole stack... One day I decided to risk it and have 2 Ta in my inventory when a writ called for a Ta. Turned out I had been wasting my time splitting stacks in order to only have 1 in my inventory, because it only took 1 from me.

I don't want to think about the number of times I had a Ta in inventory, then I go to make the rune, of course the game takes the one from my inventory first, then I go to drop off the order, and, nope, have to go back to the bank to grab another Ta. Which is why I give them 10 of them now. Same with Alchemy, but I had 3 waters a minute ago......

• SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    There definitely needs to be a change in the RNG for enchanting surveys IX.

Even with as many as 4 "lush" Aspect nodes the RNG should not be so low that the return table gives 8 Ta runes for a reward. 8 Ta and nothing else at all!!

Edited by SpAEkus on April 15, 2015 11:10PM
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SpAEkus wrote: »

Even with as many as 4 "lush" Aspect nodes the RNG should not be so low that the return table gives 8 Ta runes for a reward. 8 Ta and nothing else at all!!
    I once got 5 Kuta in one day from writs. I got the first one as a reward for the writ itself, and the other 4 came from lush nodes in a couple of surveys I was doing at once. Granted, that means that the 5 Kuta came from several writs together, but still it was a good day.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Locke_ESO
    Locke_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    SpAEkus wrote: »

I actually recently got 4 Kutas from 2 lush nodes, 1 after another, from a single survey. No idea what the odds are on that but I was pretty happy with it.
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i keep a stock of every rune available, though i kinda wish they would ask for other potency runes other than kura or kude at times. Hell if they did that with all writs, people might actually have to go out and gather what they dont have
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I have never been asked for any other Essences than Oko, Makko or Deni. Nor have I ever had to make a Glyph with anything but those 3 Runes.

I find it odd that you've never been asked for a Denima for a writ. Like the OP, I frequently get asked for these. I totally agree with the point that this should not be in the writs. I pick up a lot of Essence runes JUST to find Denimas. And I mean all the time, not just when on a writ. I keep as many in bank as I can find. As to the rewards, it's a toss-up. I get the occasional Kuta from writ turn-ins, but not one so far from surveys. Lots of Ta, Denata, ReKuta, no Kuta. Did I say LOTS of Ta? As for the writ rewards, I'm well stocked on Grand Soul Gems. but I also find it irritating to get ONLY green SPLENDID glyphs. I still think the consumable writs are worth doing, but they are not without issues.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • ShadowscaleSithis
    ShadowscaleSithis
    ✭✭✭
    I only have 1 doing enchanting writs right now and that is level 4 potency so Edora is depleting fast and can barely find them in stores.

For this and Alchemy writs I believe should get surveys for a reward with every writ done. Those surveys should have at least 1 or 2 harvestable items for each of the items needed to make the writ.

{If you understand what I mean}
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When writs first came out I was always very careful to only have 1 of the rune requested in my inventory, because I thought that if I had more, it would take the whole stack... One day I decided to risk it and have 2 Ta in my inventory when a writ called for a Ta. Turned out I had been wasting my time splitting stacks in order to only have 1 in my inventory, because it only took 1 from me.

I don't want to think about the number of times I had a Ta in inventory, then I go to make the rune, of course the game takes the one from my inventory first, then I go to drop off the order, and, nope, have to go back to the bank to grab another Ta. Which is why I give them 10 of them now. Same with Alchemy, but I had 3 waters a minute ago......

Lol. I used to do this all the time as well. Now, at level 10 writs, I just grab 1 Jehade, 1 Oko, and 2 Ta out of the bank. Covers all contingencies.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »

I find it odd that you've never been asked for a Denima for a writ. Like the OP, I frequently get asked for these. I totally agree with the point that this should not be in the writs. I pick up a lot of Essence runes JUST to find Denimas. And I mean all the time, not just when on a writ. I keep as many in bank as I can find. As to the rewards, it's a toss-up. I get the occasional Kuta from writ turn-ins, but not one so far from surveys. Lots of Ta, Denata, ReKuta, no Kuta. Did I say LOTS of Ta? As for the writ rewards, I'm well stocked on Grand Soul Gems. but I also find it irritating to get ONLY green SPLENDID glyphs. I still think the consumable writs are worth doing, but they are not without issues.
    Ourorboros wrote: »

That's weird I have more Denima than I have Deni. Hmmm, maybe I should sell some...
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA