Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why not introduce crossbows to Elder Scrolls Online?

Xinz'r
Xinz'r
✭✭✭
Hello everyone, it's me again!

I wonder why ESO didn't still introduce crossbows to the game. I know about Fighters Guild's ability that includes crossbow, but why not introduce the actual weapon? It existed in TES III : Morrowind and was introduced to TES V : Skyrim in "Dawnguard" expansion. It would add more diversity to the game. It has its' benefits, but also some disadvantages so players would have to decide what is more important to them.

This is from TES Wiki about crossbows (Dawnguard):

Mechanics

Crossbows differ from bows in a number of ways. They use different ammunition, projectiles are loaded instead of nocked, and they provide a number of advantages and disadvantages compared to the standard bow.

Advantages

Walking speed is not affected while the crossbow is readied.
Crossbows fire projectiles at a higher velocity than most bows, making them better for hitting moving targets.
Ammunition varieties also include exploding bolts in each of the 3 elements.
Crossbows are more powerful than most bows, with the regular crossbow having the same base damage as a Daedric Bow.
Crossbows have a built-in 50% chance to stagger opponents.
The Enhanced variety ignores 50% of enemy armor.

Disadvantages

Crossbows are loud, and can alert enemies at close range, making close-up assassinations difficult if surrounded.
Crossbows reload slower than most bows (even though game-data, speed of 1, suggests crossbows are faster, the reload speed uses different formulae).
The Dragonborn is vulnerable to melee attack for a few seconds during reload, since it cannot be cancelled and it's impossible to run.
Crossbows have a shorter default arc range than a standard bow (can be fixed by simply aiming higher).
There are only four types of crossbows to choose from; the Crossbow, the Enhanced Crossbow, the Dwarven Crossbow, and the Enhanced Dwarven Crossbow.
Bolts are crafted in groups of 10 while crafting arrows produces 24 at a time.
Fired bolts are less likely to be retrievable than arrows, even with the Hunter's Discipline perk.
Unenchanted Bolts deal less damage than higher tier arrows (Dwarven Bolts deal 14, Steel Bolts 10, Vs 24 and 25 damage for Daedric and Dragonbone Arrows respectively) offsetting the damage bonus of the crossbows themselves. This can be negated by using exploding bolts, but those are harder to acquire and craft than regular bolts, and don't benefit from sneak attack multipliers, meaning a higher-quality bows and arrows will far outperform any crossbows for sneak attacks except in the case of highly armored enemies where the enhanced crossbow's armor bypass may tip the scale.
If the Dragonborn joins the Volkihar Vampires, they will get basic ammunition much more rarely, only being able to collect them from fallen Dawnguard members, or even rarer, when fired at.

And here are some screenshots:

Dawnguardcrossbow.png
MME%20-%20theme%20screen.jpg
latest?cb=20120607131344&path-prefix=ja
27280-1-1253479223.jpg

What do you people think?
Edited by Xinz'r on April 4, 2015 12:41PM
▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
JOIN BLACKROSE CARTEL!
▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • Warraxx
    Warraxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is a crossbow in eso...
  • Xinz'r
    Xinz'r
    ✭✭✭
    Warraxx wrote: »
    there is a crossbow in eso...

Yes, as a Fighters' Guild ability. There is no equipable crossbow nor crossbow skill line.
    Edited by Xinz'r on April 4, 2015 1:30PM
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    JOIN BLACKROSE CARTEL!
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • Drazhar14
    Drazhar14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of like the idea of having a pocket crossbow (fighters guild skill) that you can use with any weapon equipped. I just wish the skill cost less and/or was more powerful. A full crossbow skill line would be a cool addition in the future though, however I'd like to see an unarmed skill line and pole-arm skill line first.