The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Limited Bags, Crafting Bags & Encumbrance: Concepts

• istateres
    istateres
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heromofo wrote: »
    istateres wrote: »
    WAY too complicated! If ZOS wants to make money on bag space, they should try this:

+5 Bank space for each concurrent month of ESO Plus (all bonuses lost when membership expires)

That would make them some real money!!

So if your credit card bounces one month because unkown reasons trust me it happens had an error happen.
    You lose all of your built up space? Why not just have it increase and stay that way even someone earns 300 bag space then good on em thats alotnof subbing.

I understand your concern, and basically agree; but my way generates more money for ZOS. In your suggestion, you might reach a point where you have 'enough' bank space and stop subbing with no impact. In mine, you'd become addicted to the bank space and have to keep subbing or lose it all.

Am I evil to suggest this?
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of crafting material bags.
    This alone is more than enough. If I had an extra bag for crafting materials my bank would be practically empty and my inventory problems would be gone.

I don't care for the backpack options unless they are permanent, account-wide options. I would not want these to take up inventory space and have to deal with an inventory inside of an inventory. Especially multiple ones.

Over-encumbrance is better off gone.
    It never made sense to be able to carry 10,000 KG no problem, then pick up a single feather and you can't walk.
    The concept of inventory space is much easier, especially if upgrades and crafting bags were to be offered.

This is why my concept has 3 Levels of Over-Encumbrance. It wouldn't work like you are saying.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heromofo wrote: »
    WAY too complicated! If ZOS wants to make money on bag space, they should try this:

+5 Bank space for each concurrent month of ESO Plus (all bonuses lost when membership expires)

That would make them some real money!!

So if your credit card bounces one month because unkown reasons trust me it happens had an error happen.
    You lose all of your built up space? Why not just have it increase and stay that way even someone earns 300 bag space then good on em thats alotnof subbing.

I understand your concern, and basically agree; but my way generates more money for ZOS. In your suggestion, you might reach a point where you have 'enough' bank space and stop subbing with no impact. In mine, you'd become addicted to the bank space and have to keep subbing or lose it all.

Am I evil to suggest this?

Not at all hell you just earnt a mofo point

Heres your reward

9T1hGEL.jpg
  • c.p.garrett1993_ESO
    Gidorick wrote: »
    This alone is more than enough. If I had an extra bag for crafting materials my bank would be practically empty and my inventory problems would be gone.

I don't care for the backpack options unless they are permanent, account-wide options. I would not want these to take up inventory space and have to deal with an inventory inside of an inventory. Especially multiple ones.

It never made sense to be able to carry 10,000 KG no problem, then pick up a single feather and you can't walk.
    The concept of inventory space is much easier, especially if upgrades and crafting bags were to be offered.

This is why my concept has 3 Levels of Over-Encumbrance. It wouldn't work like you are saying.

Still seems massively inconvenient and frustrating. Even at the first level...
    The crafting bags is a great idea and more than enough. They alone would eliminate any bank/ inventory issues.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Still seems massively inconvenient and frustrating. Even at the first level...
    The crafting bags is a great idea and more than enough. They alone would eliminate any bank/ inventory issues.

Those who sufficiently manage their inventory space may never be over-encumbered. This concept would in no way remove abilities or options. In fact, it would increase options. ZOS would sell TONS of feather potions from players out in the wild who just can't bare to part with the items they've found and just need to be able to get back to town to empty their pockets.

The application of the concept would benefit players and ZOS. There's not many ideas that can claim that.
    Edited by Gidorick on May 1, 2015 3:24PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Kyle_ESO8. I saw you asking for inventory options. Here's my idea!
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes bags. No!!! encumbrance. LOL Gidorick, I don't miss that from the solo games....not even a little
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. I totally do! I think it's funny that people are so against a mechanic that would
    • provide more bag space
    • be 100% optional and avoidable.

I guess it's because of its third "feature"
    • It would be annoying.
    :lol:
    Edited by Gidorick on June 25, 2015 11:26PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Akavir_Sentinel
    Akavir_Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is plenty of bag and bank space in ESO already. You can have 1,600 slots per account. That's way more than most players will ever need. The problem is that most players, especially ones that just started, don't want to put in the time and gold that it takes to get that much inventory space. You can thank generation "Entitled" for that.
    Can't find the items you are looking for? Need a place to trade? We welcome ESO players of all platforms at ESO Trade, the home for trading of goods and services in the lands of Tamriel.
  • Endurance
    Endurance
    ✭✭✭
    yeah they definately need to add more inventory space.. whether its crown shop or veteran quests
    I'm outta here
  • Akavir_Sentinel
    Akavir_Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Endurance wrote: »
    yeah they definately need to add more inventory space.. whether its crown shop or veteran quests

You can have 1,600 slots. How many do you think you need?

It's mostly new players that ask for this because one, they don't want to invest the time and gold required to get the storage space, and two, the think they have to hoard absolutely everything in sight.
    Can't find the items you are looking for? Need a place to trade? We welcome ESO players of all platforms at ESO Trade, the home for trading of goods and services in the lands of Tamriel.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Endurance wrote: »

You can have 1,600 slots. How many do you think you need?

It's mostly new players that ask for this because one, they don't want to invest the time and gold required to get the storage space, and two, the think they have to hoard absolutely everything in sight.

This is more about want than it is need. These mechanics would give players more inventory options (which they want) and they would make ZOS money.

Besides you're misrepresenting the situation. The max number of slots PER CHARACTER is 170. Max number of BANK slots is 240. You're saying 170*8 characters + 240 Bank=1600.

You are assuming all players want mules. Not all players want to use an exploitative inventory mechanic to manage their inventory. I sure don't!

And JUST provisioning has 50+ ingredients so if you want to gather crafting mats + keep interesting things you find + work on sets + have extra armor... I would have to flatly answer your question with:

"More. We need more". :wink:

It's not entitlement. It's good 'ol supply and demand.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Love_Chunks
    Love_Chunks
    ✭✭✭
    Mannimarco'd this horse to beat it again...
    Me: It's[WB spamming DK] a really cheesy build
    Guildy: I like cheese with my wine, and WB creates some really good wine.
  • lathbury
    lathbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we don't need more bag space just max it out on your characters and bank including horses and there's plenty of space.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lathbury wrote: »
    we don't need more bag space just max it out on your characters and bank including horses and there's plenty of space.

Mules are NOT a legitimate game mechanic. At least they shouldn't be. That would be VERY sloppy game design, IMHO.

@ZOS_Whoever_Cares_anyone_anyone_at_all, Does ZOS expect us to use Mules for our inventory?
    Edited by Gidorick on June 26, 2015 2:54AM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• FancyTuna8
    FancyTuna8
    ✭✭✭
    Why does everyone want it so easy? Encumbrance would be awesome. Heck, if I was a developer even within your carrying capacity your movement speed and combat speed would gradually slow down as you carried more items, because...that's how strength, endurance, and people's bodies work.
    I played another MMO that is on xbox1, and it had a much more developed $$$ store. They sold bags, bank slots, etc....I think it is good that we can expand ours via gold, but we should also have that option to make our inventory capacity larger with real money if we wanted.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's good to know I'm not alone @FancyTuna8. lol. The idea of a gradual encumbrance sounds awesome! That would really make it a game of risk vs benefit. One more item and you wouldn't notice the slow down but ten more and you would a little. Twenty more and you really would.

Brilliant!
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Asha_11_ESO
    Asha_11_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I'm one of those new players that is finding the limited Inventory space pretty frustrating. To try and deal with it I've made a heap of alt characters, and I spend at least an hour every day just stealing stuff to save for bag and horse upgrades.

Sometimes I will be out questing having fun and it's not long til I'm deleting stuff after every other mob. So, I go back to town and then begin switching toons to try manage inventory. I feel like I'm spending more time managing inventory than questing and exploring and doing the fun stuff. Some days I want to just quest, but my bags are full and I don't want to spend the next half an hour sorting them so I just log off in disgust haha. Luckily, a friend started playing in the last week so sometimes I can just mail some things to him to return to me, rather than have to interrupt my adventures out in the world.

For me, one of the main problems is Provisioning mats. It takes up 50+? spaces alone. Starting out I barely knew any recipes to be able to use them. So I stored them because I don't want to grind/farm for them later or pay silly prices to buy them. I like to be self-sufficient too.

If even a temporary Provisioning storage feature could be implemented it would probably help a lot of us out - maybe a pantry in capital cities, where we can store the ingredients in for a gold fee and a limited 30 day period.
  • xoduspaladin
    xoduspaladin
    ✭✭✭
    Sinthrax wrote: »
    And just to think we could have had all this for $15 a month. People didn't want to pay that but would spend a small fortune on all mentioned above. I must not be human because I will never understand.

People raised heck and and refused to buy the game with a sub only to come here afterwards and suggest more expensive things to buy. Again, I must not be human because I will never understand.

Can't blame people if they did not find the product worth 15 dollars a month, you blame the product for not being convincing to the people to pay that amount of money. Business 101.
  • lathbury
    lathbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    games need gold sinks inventory/bag space is one. this game needs more gold sinks not less which bypassing with crowns would achieve.
  • JediRift
    JediRift
    ✭✭✭
    And just to think we could have had all this for $15 a month. People didn't want to pay that but would spend a small fortune on all mentioned above. I must not be human because I will never understand.

People raised heck and and refused to buy the game with a sub only to come here afterwards and suggest more expensive things to buy. Again, I must not be human because I will never understand.

You took the words out of my mouth. Insanity.

Also, no to encumberance of any sort. That is the worst mechanic ever.

[Arcane] is recruiting! Daggerfall PS4 NA PvP/PvE - 400+ active members ~ Main recruitment thread ~ www.facebook.com/ArcaneGuild
  • Akavir_Sentinel
    Akavir_Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5zYOoR7.jpg?1
  • dabulls7491
    dabulls7491
    ✭✭✭
    Or we could stop adding stuff to the crown store and make it purchasable in game...
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or we could stop adding stuff to the crown store and make it purchasable in game...

Bag space is already purchasable in game.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JediRift wrote: »

Yes yes could have, would have been nice. That ship sailed and has been sunk.

What don't you like about encumbrance? The additional 15 free inventory spaces that you wouldn't have to ever use if you didn't want to but would be there to get you out of a pinch?
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• dabulls7491
    dabulls7491
    ✭✭✭

Bag space is already purchasable in game.

Bag space, yes. But not your bag concept.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What don't you like about encumbrance? The additional 15 free inventory spaces that you wouldn't have to ever use if you didn't want to but would be there to get you out of a pinch?

15 spaces that the majority would never use and that most would demand an option to opt out of. It would not get you out of a 'pinch' but force you into one that is more annoying than full bags.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

15 spaces that the majority would never use and that most would demand an option to opt out of. It would not get you out of a 'pinch' but force you into one that is more annoying than full bags.

THAT's when you open the crown store... and buy a potion of feather.
    kUybJI9.gif

But seriously though... I find it quite humorous how many of you people want less diversity in the game the option to opt out of any added diversity.

That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Divinius
    Divinius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But seriously though... I find it quite humorous how many of you people want less diversity in the game the option to opt out of any added diversity.

And I find it quite humorous how you simply refuse to understand that other people may not want to deal with an over-complicated encumbrance system when they would rather simply have more inventory spaces without all the annoying hassle.

I understand that ZOS may like your ideas, as they could make $$$ with the system. I can even understand that some people may value "staying true to TES systems" over simple convenience. Your ideas aren't "bad"... they are just unpopular.

Let me try to explain it to you:

I have 170 inventory spaces. Let's say that I don't feel that's enough. Sure, your system could give me, say, 50 more spaces that I could use, with feather potions, or by having to manage placing items into sub-bags, etc. And sure, that might even be better than not having them at all. Given the choice between 50 more inventory that I'd have to screw around with to use, or nothing at all, sure, your ideas are better than nothing.

But given the choice of getting 50 more inventory spaces that I have to screw around with to use, or being able to just have 50 more regular inventory (simply making my 170 inventory 220 inventory), I'd far prefer to just get the space, and not have to play all kinds of games to get it.

I said as much in my first post to this thread on page 1. Your response?
    Apparently, you guys don't care about this feeling more like a TES game. These mechanics would add immersion and would add mechanics to the game, making a richer experience.

It's not complicated, it's immersive.

But you're free to dislike the idea. Thanks for the input. I just personally see a problem in the game (inventory) and I ask what would be the best way to solve this issue for all those involved.
    You're right. I don't care about "making this feel more like a TES game" since that would mean adding a more complicated and unnecessarily annoying set of systems to improve inventory space, instead of simply adding inventory space.

You saw a problem in the game (inventory) and suggested your preferred solution, but it's far from the "best way to solve this issue for all those involved."
    Edited by Divinius on June 27, 2015 1:30AM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Divinius wrote: »

And I find it quite humorous how you simply refuse to understand that other people may not want to deal with an over-complicated encumbrance system when they would rather simply have more inventory spaces without all the annoying hassle.

I understand that ZOS may like your ideas, as they could make $$$ with the system. I can even understand that some people may value "staying true to TES systems" over simple convenience. Your ideas aren't "bad"... they are just unpopular.

Let me try to explain it to you:

I have 170 inventory spaces. Let's say that I don't feel that's enough. Sure, your system could give me, say, 50 more spaces that I could use, with feather potions, or by having to manage placing items into sub-bags, etc. And sure, that might even be better than not having them at all. Given the choice between 50 more inventory that I'd have to screw around with to use, or nothing at all, sure, your ideas are better than nothing.

But given the choice of getting 50 more inventory spaces that I have to screw around with to use, or being able to just have 50 more regular inventory (simply making my 170 inventory 220 inventory), I'd far prefer to just get the space, and not have to play all kinds of games to get it.

I said as much in my first post to this thread on page 1. Your response?
    Apparently, you guys don't care about this feeling more like a TES game. These mechanics would add immersion and would add mechanics to the game, making a richer experience.

It's not complicated, it's immersive.

But you're free to dislike the idea. Thanks for the input. I just personally see a problem in the game (inventory) and I ask what would be the best way to solve this issue for all those involved.
    You're right. I don't care about "making this feel more like a TES game" since that would mean adding a more complicated and unnecessarily annoying set of systems to improve inventory space, instead of simply adding inventory space.

You saw a problem in the game (inventory) and suggested your preferred solution, but it's far from the "best way to solve this issue for all those involved."

It's the best way to solve the problem that is in keeping with Elder Scrolls while also recognizing the existing inventory design.

I am of the thought that every update should make the game more immersive and deeper... not hold player's hands and lower the water level of the game experience (make it shallow).

Unfortunately, the way you want inventory to be handled (just add more space) is the easy way, and ZOS is more than likely going to just do it the easy way. Easy way takes less time. Easy way leads to profit more quickly, even though my way would lead to longer term, renewable profit.

ZOS could institute multiple systems. They will soon be selling bad space in the Crown Store and I am assuming it's going to be bag space up to 170 slots, not additional slots past 170. adding bags and encumbrance on top of that wouldn't be difficult. I doubt that would ever happen though.

I really don't think this game will never be more like elder scrolls than it is now. It will be watered down and simplified so everyone can mindlessly press 1-5 and win.

For the most part, I've stayed away from MMOs. This is one of the reasons why. I want to be engrossed in an experience. I don't want the experience made simpler when a slightly more complex system can offer a much more robust experience. Keeping it simple keeps it... well... boring.

This seems to be a case of different strokes for different folks, and I, as it seems, am out of my element. :wink:
    Edited by Gidorick on June 27, 2015 2:27AM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.