Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Provisions Writ that I don't even have a recipe to it seems...

xeoneexb14_ESO
xeoneexb14_ESO
✭✭✭
Ok so I have a provisions writ that says I need Lemon Flower Mazte. I've looked at every recipe I have some of which I can't use because I don't have the necessary required recipes improvement skills level, however I simply don't have that recipe. I've looked it over many times and I just don't have it. Don't quite get why this happened though
John 3:16 = For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its always been that way, the random provisioner writ is always for something random at that level, it does not check if you can make it or not first.

Whats worst, is once you BUY the recipe for Lemon Flower Mazte so you can do the writ, and hand it in, it most likely will give you Lemon Flower Mazte recipe as a reward, just to troll you.
  • xeoneexb14_ESO
    xeoneexb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    Its always been that way, the random provisioner writ is always for something random at that level, it does not check if you can make it or not first.

Whats worst, is once you BUY the recipe for Lemon Flower Mazte so you can do the writ, and hand it in, it most likely will give you Lemon Flower Mazte recipe as a reward, just to troll you.

Why the HELL haven't they addressed this then?? This is a seroius problem and I have no desire to do writs if I can't even make what they GIVE me...
    John 3:16 = For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is this a problem? It will ask you to make a recipe based on your skill. Whether you know the recipe or not. Just run around the zone of the appropriate level and find it. Or buy it from a trader.

It's not the end of the world.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »

Why the HELL haven't they addressed this then?? This is a seroius problem and I have no desire to do writs if I can't even make what they GIVE me...

It's a problem and a PITA. But the benefit gained from leveling provisioning is worth overcoming this issue. You basically have two choices. One is go everywhere and search every container in the hope of finding the recipe you need. The other is to search guild stores for either the recipe of the food-either will allow to complete the writ. I really recommend you do both. That's exactly what I'm doing.

edit: you can level provisioning without doing writs. Just make a lot of whatever recipes you do know, and as you level, raise your skill, and make higher level foods. But the provisioning writs are one of the best offered in the game.
    Edited by Ourorboros on April 2, 2015 1:37AM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Thymos
    Thymos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't even have to be the person to actually make the food or drink. You just need to turn it in. So ask around if anyone can make it for you in your guilds. If not, then look for a simple buy of the food in guild vendors.
    The Older Gamers Recruitment Thread
    Always accepting new members for NA and EU server. PvP PvE RP all welcome. Must be 25+ yo to join.
    http://www.theoldergamers.com/
  • xeoneexb14_ESO
    xeoneexb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    Why is this a problem? It will ask you to make a recipe based on your skill. Whether you know the recipe or not. Just run around the zone of the appropriate level and find it. Or buy it from a trader.

Except that I can't do writs because it keeps giving me recipes that I can't make so the entire writ system is FAIL.
    Thymos wrote: »
    You don't even have to be the person to actually make the food or drink. You just need to turn it in. So ask around if anyone can make it for you in your guilds. If not, then look for a simple buy of the food in guild vendors.

For me, the entire fun of it is making the stuff MYSELF. If you find fun having someone else do it for you be my quest. I don't want to pay someone else to do writs just so I can get some bonus rewards. I have better things to spend my money on.
  • vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, this stuff is for someone who loves to find the recipes. For those who dont - you can always buy this item in guild store/kiosks.
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so I have a provisions writ that says I need Lemon Flower Mazte.

I don't think I even have this recipe, and I know most of them on one provisioner. However I can buy Lemon Flower Mazte in a guild store for cheap, so that is what I do. I think I have 30 or 40 of them. Spent less than 100 gold on them. I know the recipe is going to be well into the 4 figures if I ever see it listed.

One day I will find that elusive recipe, but until then, I have no qualms delivering something someone else made that I bought at a guild store.

Just so you know, Clarified Syrah Wine is another difficult one to find. However I did find a Guild Kiosk in Sentinel that had 3 of those recipes for sale just this week. I snapped up the one listed for 250 Gold.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except that I can't do writs because it keeps giving me recipes that I can't make so the entire writ system is FAIL.
    Based on what the writ system is supposed to represent, it actually makes perfect sense. It's a bulletin board where groups post that they are looking for something, and they will pay you to deliver it to them. They need Breton Pork Sausages for the troops in Cyrodiil, but you say you don't know how to make them and you can only make Rabbit Pasties instead? Well too bad, the troops have enough Rabbit Pasties - they need sausages. If you can't supply what they need (whether by making it yourself or finding a source for it), then they're not going to pay you for something they don't need.

From a game mechanic point of view, if you get a writ you don't have the recipe to complete, you have 3 options:
    1) Try to find the recipe (whether by buying it in a guild store, asking friends and guildies, whatever)
    2) Try to find the already player-crafted food/drink (whether by buying it in a guild store, asking friends and guildies, whatever)
    3) Drop the quest and pick up a new one the next day, which will hopefully be one you can complete

Whichever you choose, it is more than worth your time to keep completing provisioning writs. They are the best source of recipes (if you get ones that you don't need, give them to friends and sell them in guild stores - this will be helpful to people doing option 1 above), they give you gold based on your level (my VR characters seem to get 660ish gold per writ, while lower level characters seem to get less, but I don't think I've ever gotten less than about 250), they give you back way more ingredients than it takes to complete the writ, and they're one of only 2 sources for purple ingredients.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »

No it isn't. Go find the recipe if you can't make it. Now that they changed drops so that they are leveled by zone, determine the level of food you can make and go to that zone and look for it! It will be fun!

It's much easier than before 1.6, where my poor level 11 DK was being asked to make level 30 food that she was never going to be able to find because only level 15 recipes dropped for her, and she was my highest level AD character, so none of my other toons was going to find level 30 AD recipes either.

Take it as the game is challenging you to find the recipe you need!

The Moot Councillor
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    My experience has been that the recipes used in the writs can be bought from a chef or brewer in your given faction. There are only a limited number of combinations of these per level so fairly easy to get them all. The recipes can cost more than the money rewarded from the writ but once you know the recipe it is likely you will keep churning out the same few items and it will pay for itself.
    My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
    Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
    Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
    Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In b4 necro block!
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    carljokl wrote: »
    My experience has been that the recipes used in the writs can be bought from a chef or brewer in your given faction. There are only a limited number of combinations of these per level so fairly easy to get them all. The recipes can cost more than the money rewarded from the writ but once you know the recipe it is likely you will keep churning out the same few items and it will pay for itself.

LOL, above is how it works NOW, after changes were made. Didn't work like this when the thread was created. Good example of why not to necro threads.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good grief, that is one heck of a necro!

Update (more than a year after the thread was posted): You can now buy recipes for writs from chefs and brewers around Tamriel. Those recipes are no longer given as writ rewards.

/thread (I hope).
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.