The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should ESO have an option to change a characters name?

• Brightxdawn
    Brightxdawn
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Sure.Once for free,then make it a scroll in the crown store.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Heromofo wrote: »
    As long as its not over priced like the rest say 100 crowns as its just a name.
    Other games I played that had this option priced it at equivalent 500 to 1000 crowns...
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    Slurg wrote: »
    Yes, I would like to see this be done by visiting the capital city for your faction and registering the new name with an official there for a gold fee, with a cool down period to prevent frequent changes for those who might misuse the feature.

Support clearly has enough to do right now - the last ticket I submitted took 3 days to get a response. I'd rather allow CS to spend their time solving actual problems than doing frivolous name changes on customer demand.

Which they refuse to do anyway. Requests for name changes are routinely rejected and that is their stated policy. I'd LOVE to see name changes available for gold at the bank. You'd buy them from the banker who would tell you something like, "I'll be happy to register the paperwork for your name change for X gold. Just don't think this is going to allow you to elude the law! All name changes are registered with the Crown!"
    As I keep mentioning, had the game stayed subscription based, paying gold for a name change would have been the way to go. Not that they look towards the crown store to make their profit, that is extremely unlikely to happen. If they make the effort to program the function, they will want to see some return from it, so they will almost certainly follow the example of other games and let people pay for the feature. Personally I am okay with this, though I hope they will not overcharge people and keep to the lower priced examples from other games...

And I wouldn't bother a banker with namechanges. It would have to be a recordkeeping clerk in your factions capital, methinks... file the proper paperwork (proper paperwork availabe for purchase in the crown store), and the clerk with "update the official records" with your shiny new name... ;)
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I do agree with morna name change at a bank would work
    Maybe with a high cost like 10000 gold or 350 crowns in the crown store
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I don't really want to change any of my characters' names right now, but I don't see why not.

If I ever get in a "House RP guild", I would like to be able to give my characters that are ICly part of it the house's surname.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    And just a reminder, I'm not talking about changing the @name. I'm just talking about the ability to change a toon name.

Has anyone heard if ZOS is ever going to work on this? I agree a lot higher priorities for them, but also see them working on a lot of things that are less player oriented as well.
  • jellicles
    jellicles
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I understand how changing a character name is not trivial and charging real money is probably the best way to moderate the use of this feature. What I do not understand is how some users fear that this change will lead to abuse and/or exploits. I have never had anyone refer to my character name. Never. Not once. My user name is visible and I believe that changing that should take an act of Congress. Only the game system and the player care about the character name. Let us change it and if charging crowns moderate the activity, well, so be it.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's coming. DB update maybe?
    Beta tester November 2013
  • MarcoPolo
    MarcoPolo
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I say yes for this not just because I just got frustrated with the name already in use that a few of mine are numbered but because my ex is a sad person and named his character after me and now cant change it (he would if he could)
  • Uviryth
    Uviryth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    To be honest, it totally baffles me that we even have to ask for that AND a barbershop.

I mean, ITS 2016 FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, not 1999. Get a grip you guys.....
  • jimmulvaney
    jimmulvaney
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Should it be an option? Yes. Will I be using it? Not likely.