The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should ESO have an option to change a characters name?

• Drawberrry
    Drawberrry
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I am 100% for stuff that give's us more character customization :D
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes. Through crown store with a time limit between purchase.
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

• Spidermonk
    Spidermonk
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I have a feeling that this is one of those things we'll see in a year or so regardless of poll results. It's too common in MMOs to be left out (alongside character re-customization).
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    You can allready change your character name, you just have to contact the support.

@lolo_01b16_ESO

Support's response after I received an IRL death threat after killing someone in PvP was that they couldn't change the character's name. I even offered to buy it but they told me they still wouldn't oblige.

I was forced to delete that character (VR14 NB) to avoid any further harassment.

Edited by Lionxoft on March 30, 2015 8:16PM
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Not the popular answer, I know. But its called rolling a new char. U can already respec skills and attributes. Seriously what else is there? U want to change from a DK to NB, maybe change your boy toon to a girl too? Having a barber in-game I understand, that's just cosmetic.
    Give 'er eh!
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Not the popular answer, I know. But its called rolling a new char. U can already respec skills and attributes. Seriously what else is there? U want to change from a DK to NB, maybe change your boy toon to a girl too? Having a barber in-game I understand, that's just cosmetic.

A fairly popular f2p MMO on PS4, PC and soon to be XBox One offers body type, class/power, bag space, inventory space, character slots and name change service. It's really not a problem at all in that mmo and it's one of the best performing f2p titles on PSN. See, these are all actual convenience items.

Maybe you can persuade me otherwise @purple-magicb16_ESO ? :) Always open to hearing other sides of the discussion.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    BBSooner wrote: »
    No specialty required. I can legally change my name when I want in the real world, no reason to have a bunch of hoops to jump through in ESO where it's set in a world that basically just requires me to say "Hey, nice to meet you, my name's Carl" to change my name. Add to the store, quick and easy.

If you are changing your name in the real world, there are hoops to go through to make sure the change will not be used for fraudulent purposes.

So on that note, if there were some way to flag "previous names" so that persons who act like trolls couldn't just keep changing, then I would be more likely to consider the idea.

As it is, no.

As for people who name their "alts/mules" weird things, and then after maxing back space and so on, suddenly decide they want to play that character - I have no sympathy.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    I don't think that a name change should be something you can just do because you're bored. If you have a cool name for your character you can contact the support and then have him called that way for the rest of his life.
    Otherwise I fear that some people with bad reputation would just change their name every few weeks so they won't be recognized.

This is also my opinion. To let everyone just change names, factions, gender or class whenever they want is very bad for an MMO.
    I remember a case at WOW where some loot ninja changed his names all the time so he could keep stealing loot from guild banks and raids.

To have a barber yes, I would even go so far and allow a once in a lifetime name change, but anything else should remain untouched. The abuse would be too big and its not needed either.
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Audigy wrote: »
    I don't think that a name change should be something you can just do because you're bored. If you have a cool name for your character you can contact the support and then have him called that way for the rest of his life.
    Otherwise I fear that some people with bad reputation would just change their name every few weeks so they won't be recognized.

This is also my opinion. To let everyone just change names, factions, gender or class whenever they want is very bad for an MMO.
    I remember a case at WOW where some loot ninja changed his names all the time so he could keep stealing loot from guild banks and raids.

To have a barber yes, I would even go so far and allow a once in a lifetime name change, but anything else should remain untouched. The abuse would be too big and its not needed either.

I don't think changing the @Name is the target for this discussion but rather just the character's name. The @Name is a form of accountability to combat that kind of behavior while that level of accountability might be unintended but it's definitely a reality.
  • Hayuru
    Hayuru
    ✭✭
    Yes
    It would be a good idea. But, they don't even have a barber in the game! That should come first. And a faction change, please. I would buy that instantly.
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    BBSooner wrote: »
    No specialty required. I can legally change my name when I want in the real world, no reason to have a bunch of hoops to jump through in ESO where it's set in a world that basically just requires me to say "Hey, nice to meet you, my name's Carl" to change my name. Add to the store, quick and easy.

If you are changing your name in the real world, there are hoops to go through to make sure the change will not be used for fraudulent purposes.

So on that note, if there were some way to flag "previous names" so that persons who act like trolls couldn't just keep changing, then I would be more likely to consider the idea.

As it is, no.

As for people who name their "alts/mules" weird things, and then after maxing back space and so on, suddenly decide they want to play that character - I have no sympathy.

We are talking about a video game here, not the real world. There is no way to hide who you are by changing a characters name. We are not talking about changing your account name, just the character name.

• Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Again, we are not talking about changing the user name, we are talking about changing a character name only. Everyone would still be able to know the identity of the characters creator, and be able to 'ignore" them accordingly.
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It would be a nice-to-have feature for sure, however developing a front-end interface for this rather than changing it in the back-end (via a ticket, like it is now) should be less cost efficient.
    They deny char renames that don't have any issues like special characters, but they do rename accounts.
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

However having paid name/faction/gender/etc changes is perhaps the absolute least intrusive way ZOS can make money in the crown store, and if the service fends off other less palatable features for even a single day then I think it's well worth the support.

The absolute horror people feel towards trolls potentially tricking them is really sad. Throw them on your ignore list and be done with it. I've yet to be in a recent MMO that didn't update friends/ignore lists with changes, I would assume that feature would be present here.
    Edited by BBSooner on March 31, 2015 6:30PM
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    And what are old or new players going to do when the only names left are names like:

1.) blarfllegrengst02222389
    2.) xxxxxxxxzzzztthherdvxxxsting

Or similar?

You can only have just so many "Bob"s, or "guttersnipe"s in a game world.
    (Usually just 'one' of each, for those of you playing along at home)...

And people who registered, quit after the 1st month, and come back 4 years later all expect to still be able to pick their 'toons up again where they left off.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • Aeladiir
    Aeladiir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Crown Store: Yes

In general: No

• eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I support name changes mostly because everything in the game is account based. Changing your character's name isn't going to effect your @ name which is how people in your friends list and guilds know you by anyway.
    :trollin:
  • Jroc
    Jroc
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Accountability is a non-issue considering account names are used for most identifying measures. As for immersion issues, people should not be forced to re-roll just to entertain someone's idea of an immersive constant personality. The game should cater to immersion-lovers, but other players should not.
    It's all good Bollywood
  • Anvos
    Anvos
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I would say yes but a crown shop thing since this is more of a want issue of people than balance or game breaking issue.
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    twev wrote: »
    And what are old or new players going to do when the only names left are names like:

1.) blarfllegrengst02222389
    2.) xxxxxxxxzzzztthherdvxxxsting

Or similar?

You can only have just so many "Bob"s, or "guttersnipe"s in a game world.
    (Usually just 'one' of each, for those of you playing along at home)...

And people who registered, quit after the 1st month, and come back 4 years later all expect to still be able to pick their 'toons up again where they left off.

Once you rename the old name you had before goes to the "Void" (Able to be used by anyone else or yourself again) as a ZOS representative explained it. Also, it's quite common for name reclaims to happen in a lot of online communities including MMO games.

Player hasn't logged in for a few years? Adds NR_ prefix or something before their name. If they character has NR_ then they are prompted to change their name upon logging back in. Easy peasy.

It changes the name of the character but it doesn't change the id of the character.
    Edited by Lionxoft on March 31, 2015 8:43PM
  • Dedhed
    Dedhed
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    There are definitely a couple characters I'd like a name change for and there's really no reason to not have the option. As for players with bad reps, they can easily be known by their @ handles. There's also the option for limiting name changes in much the same way as character deletions are restricted.

I too have tried to get name changes by contacting customer support. It doesn't work.

Wish I still had the reply email they sent. It was something along the lines of "We don't offer that service, but you can make suggestions for what you'd like to see added to the game in the forums."

Honestly, I'm surprised the option isn't available yet. People have been asking for this for a while.
    Edited by Dedhed on March 31, 2015 10:26PM
    "This is like talking to breakfast cereal" -- Fredericks in Otherland talking about Wicked Tribe. Also a great description of zone chat.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    The one thing they mentioned even before launch we might expect to see for sale, and it's still not here. Instead they prepare for EXP boosters in the crown store.
    Embarrassing.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yeah, put it in the stupid crown store.
    [DC/NA]
  • civilizedsavage
    civilizedsavage
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I'm part RP'er, my characters get married to my husband's characters... and I'd like to reflect that. In fact, sell me a bonus Ring of Mara+Name Change package.
    Guild Leader | The Ashen Hand
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It's a simple thing to add, it's merely cosmetic, people would pay crowns for it, it won't let anyone "hide" since the account name remains the same...

I see no reason not to add it to the crown store, and several for it.

I know I'd buy a rename for my orc blacksmithing alt to make her name sound more "orcish" (since I only ever played dunmer before in TES, I never got much into orsimer lore, and just named her without much thought. And I would like to correct that someday... right now she sounds more like elves raised her by mistake, and the orc heritage aside, that stretches the imagination somewhat... ;) )
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Isn't a name change just cosmetic too?
  • darthbelanb14_ESO
    darthbelanb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I voted NO because that would be Pay 2 Win.

• Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I voted NO because that would be Pay 2 Win.

How on earth is changing a characters name equate to a pay to win option? All it would change is a characters name, not the user name.
  • Dedhed
    Dedhed
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    @Cavedog --> I'm trying to be nice with this post. It's really meant to be helpful, nothing else. Your previous post is a perfect example of feeding the trolls. The obviously ludicrous and/or divisive (whether written as serious or not) stands a good chance of being a troll. Don't take it seriously.

This has been a Public Service Announcement
    "This is like talking to breakfast cereal" -- Fredericks in Otherland talking about Wicked Tribe. Also a great description of zone chat.
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    As peeps have said before, make it a crown store thing.
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -