The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

"Elder Scrolls Online" - 30 dollars and "Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited" - 50 dollars, why?

xlemonlaw
xlemonlaw
Ever since tamriel unlimited came out, some web stores have started selling two different versions of the game. One is named just "elder scrolls online" and the other named "elder scrolls online: tamriel unlimited". There's also a quite the difference in price. The one named just "elder scrolls online" costs about 30 dollars and the one named "elder scrolls online: tamriel unlimited" costs about 50 dollars.

What's the difference between the two.
  • xlemonlaw
    xlemonlaw
    Forgot the question mark.
  • Srithla
    Srithla
    ✭✭
    Old edition, new edition. Either should work. You might even get an Explorer's Pack with the old one, depending upon when it was made. Not sure about the new one.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There shouldn't be any difference between the two. A few people have mentioned on here that they used pre-TU codes to sign up after the switch over and it worked. And as Srithla said they might even come with the Explorer's Pack code.

My guess is the price difference is the result retailers not realising the two are exactly the same game. Either because they're coded and priced by a person who doesn't know about the game and doesn't have the time to investigate and so assumes Tamriel Unlimited is either an expansion or an entirely new product, or a computer that only has release dates and barcodes to work from and so is incapable of reaching any other conclusion. Or a combination of the two.

Things like that actually happen a lot. When I used to work in a video game store I actually got some pretty good deals from it. The best was a Collectors Edition of Lord of the Rings Online for £0.20, entirely because it got lost in the stock room for months and the computer was steadily reducing the price on the basis that it was in stock and not selling. After I bought it the computer upped the price to £1 and sent us 3 more. I sold mine on ebay for £20. :D
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Srithla wrote: »
    Old edition, new edition. Either should work. You might even get an Explorer's Pack with the old one, depending upon when it was made. Not sure about the new one.

The Explorer's Pack codes sold with the old ones are likely discontinued. SO BE CAREFUL WHEN BUYING OLD COPIES, that you don't get screwed out of money paying for a code that ZOS canceled because now they offer the Adventurer's Pack in the Crown Store that includes the Any Race, Any Faction ability.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • Dreamo84
    Dreamo84
    ✭✭✭
    Srithla wrote: »

The Explorer's Pack codes sold with the old ones are likely discontinued. SO BE CAREFUL WHEN BUYING OLD COPIES, that you don't get screwed out of money paying for a code that ZOS canceled because now they offer the Adventurer's Pack in the Crown Store that includes the Any Race, Any Faction ability.

I doubt they wouldn't honor an old code. Seems like a recipe for a pissed of customer
    Dream it, wish it, do it... or something...
  • Borders
    Borders
    ✭✭
    I bought the older one a month ago and got an explorers with it. I do not know about today but it worked then.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Explorer's Pack codes sold with the old ones are likely discontinued.
    Please provide a link to where ZOS have even hinted this, otherwise stop making statements in a way that implies some degree of certainty.

IMO ZOS would be very silly to block the old codes given that those packages were never produced with an 'expiry' date (all that happened was that ZOS stopped producing them and stopped selling them directly), people would be justifiably angry if they paid for something and ZOS refused to honour it.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on March 25, 2015 8:49AM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's changed since the switch-over but I bought an old copy of the game that came with the Explorer's Pack, registered it on the 18th February 2015 and the code worked fine.

I actually wouldn't have minded if the code didn't work since the copy I bought was listed on Amazon as new, unused and sealed (I was actually going out of my way to avoid anything that might be second hand or "refurbished" as I didn't want to find some idiot didn't know the account key only worked once and had sold a used one) and I expected it to be a more recent one. But I guess I got lucky and got one that had been sitting in someone's stock room for a year.

I was also expecting to find that the code had been discontinued shortly after launch, but I thought having gotten it I should try it, and it worked fine.

Edited by Danikat on March 25, 2015 2:10PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• wraith808
    wraith808
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I don't know if it's changed since the switch-over but I bought an old copy of the game that came with the Explorer's Pack, registered it on the 18th February 2015 and the code worked fine.

I actually wouldn't have minded if the code didn't work since the copy I bought was listed on Amazon as new, unused and sealed (I was actually going out of my way to avoid anything that might be second hand or "refurbished" as I didn't want to find some idiot didn't know the account key only worked once and had sold a used one) and I expected it to be a more recent one. But I guess I got lucky and got one that had been sitting in someone's stock room for a year.

I was also expecting to find that the code had been discontinued shortly after launch, but I thought having gotten it I should try it, and it worked fine.

They wouldn't be discontinued- ZOS is planning to have them die out over time.

ZOS issued a recall of the boxes, but it was voluntary- some places just have old inventory that they're working through.
    Quasim ibn-Muhammad - VR 12 Redguard Dragon Knight
    Taladriel Vanima - VR 5 Altmer Nightblade
    Ambalyo iyo Bogaadin - VR 1 Redguard Sorceror
  • kaidanfanlava
    kaidanfanlava
    Soul Shriven
    People are saying that you get the Explorer's Pack by signing up using the old version? Does that mean all pre-TU users get the pack?
    Kaidanfanlava | Kaidankolo
    Tumblr ✖ Humor ✖ Personal (PM)
    Fab DivaBreak Zarsize
  • xlemonlaw
    xlemonlaw
    Just talked to zenimax support and they said "There is no difference between the two versions. The fact that The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited is more expensive is just because of the re- branding. So it really doesn't make a difference which version you purchase in the end."
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are saying that you get the Explorer's Pack by signing up using the old version? Does that mean all pre-TU users get the pack?

You don't get the Explorer's Pack simply by signing up with an old version, but if you buy one there is a chance it will be a pre-release copy which will have the Explorer's Pack code in the box. There's also a chance it won't though.

If it helps anyone who's looking mine came in a cardboard sleeve and had a sticker on the front that said it includes the Explorer's Pack. Obviously no good if you're buying online, but if you're looking at physical retailers it might help.

Also if you're really keen it might be worth going into a store at a quiet time (mid-morning on a week day for example) and asking if they would mind looking in the stock room to see if they have any with the sticker on the box, or any open copies with the code inside. There's no guarantee they will do it, but it couldn't hurt to try. (On a really slow day I even went digging through a pile of Xboxes taller than I am for one with a particular serial code the customer claimed wouldn't get the Red Ring of Death. I'm pretty sure he was wrong but it beat alphabetising DS shelves.)

• Dreamo84
    Dreamo84
    ✭✭✭
    Retailers usually mark down old boxes when something is rebranded. This stuff is done in the system and likely not a human involved.
    Dream it, wish it, do it... or something...