Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How is ESO with the new 2015 13-inch MacBook Pro With Retina Display?

HowlKimchi
HowlKimchi
✭✭✭✭✭
Processor Name: Intel Core i5-5257U
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Operating System: Mac OS X Yosemite
RAM: 8 GB
Storage Capacity (as Tested): 128 GB
Graphics Card: Intel Iris 6100
Screen Size: 13.3 inches

I would like to know what settings the new macbook pro retina with the above specs can run the game in before I purchase one. Since ESO is my main PC game and all. Also I would like to know if you're running bootcamp or not? Thanks guys!
previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No matter what you choose as your OS, the integrated CPU Intel Iris graphics will be your limiting factor. Even a current dedicated mobile GPU would have trouble rendering a game with high quality and FPS while driving a retina display in its native resolution. So you would have to go with one of the supported, scaled resolutions (1680 by 1050, 1440 by 900, and 1024 by 640 pixels). The FAQ recommends 1440x900. This will affect image quality to a lesser or greater extent.

I would expect an overall Medium Graphics Quality setting, with low shadow and water reflexion settings and no AA (might or might not be alleviated by display scaling), to be needed in order to reach decent frame rates. YMMV.

There are numerous threads sharing experiences and helpful hints on this forum about running ESO on retina display Macs. You might want to look for them using the search function. :smiley:
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see! Thank you very much for the info.

Running the game on medium is totally fine by me. In fact, I wasn't really expecting to be able to run the game on high settings. I'm not a graphics freak kind of guy so that's okay.

I've also already searched the forums about it, but haven't found one specifically for the early 2015 macbook pros. Thank you, I will try using the search function. :)
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    MikArrior wrote: »
    I see! Thank you very much for the info.

Running the game on medium is totally fine by me. In fact, I wasn't really expecting to be able to run the game on high settings. I'm not a graphics freak kind of guy so that's okay.

I've also already searched the forums about it, but haven't found one specifically for the early 2015 macbook pros. Thank you, I will try using the search function. :)

Hi MikArrior

The 6100 GPU is brand new in macs
    Which is why you can't find any information on it.
    Probably no one has one.

The GPU is probable 20% faster then the 5100 in the old 13"

The 5100 runs ESO on medium at standard apple recommend resolution.

You need to get a larger HD then 128GB
    ESO can eat up to 100 GB when patching all by itself.

-- ESO -- Lead Mac Programmer...
    Staff Post