Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Should ZOS and ESO dabble in Mature Content?

SG_Celerrimus
SG_Celerrimus
✭✭✭✭✭
So, I feel like one of these discussions should be had, because I personally feel that ESO isn't making full use of their current ESRB/Pegi rating, and not going as far as other ES games have.

Now, for those who aren't aware, ZOS originally strived for a 'T' rating with ESRB, and the Pegi equivalent, which I think is 'Pegi 12' but I am not entirely sure. Anyway, this original goal can be seen when comparing some of the original content of the game to the more recent content, but even then the recent content ZOS has added feels like it could have gone a bit further in 'Mature' stuff, i.e. gore, blood, violence, dark themes, although I must say that ZOS did a great job with the new coldharbour intro (That guy being tossed onto the spike was just amazing to watch).

With future content ever on the horizon, especially since this is an MMO, the question arises on how should this content be handled. They could push to have the game lessened in rating by not including gory, graphic, or 'dark' themes in the game, and try to lessen those currently in, and get a rating more in line with their original goals, but some would feel (myself for example), that this would kill the ES feeling of the game.

Now, on the other game, they could, with future content, add more gory, graphic, and 'dark' themes with future content, and maybe go as far as to put it into old content by reworking some things like quests and the like, similar to how they have with delves, and really strive to make use of the current content ratings the game has. They could, for instance, add pools of blood at the bodies of slain enemies (I talked about this in a previous thread), add more general half decayed bodies, gory bits and blood on tables in dungeons and around the rooms, etc. They also could, to address the elephant in the room that I have seen other people dance around in previous threads, add nudity themes to the game, because lets not forget, this is an ES game, and if you go to the mod download places for the game (Skyrim/Oblivions Nexus for instance), you could probably find hundreds of mods for nudity and the like, but I would imagine that an addition such as this would be disable-able in the settings menu to add a "safe" version of the game, because you know social acceptance and the like.

Anyway, what do you think, should ESO try to go back to its original goal, stay on its current path which seems to be walking the line between 'T' and 'M', or go for more 'Mature' content?
Edited by SG_Celerrimus on March 20, 2015 3:58PM

Should ZOS and ESO dabble in Mature Content? 486 votes

No, the game's content theme is fine the way it is.
24%
NestorKaynlorImryllKeegenTabbycatSlayerSyrenaebo_bootsniffer_ESOAnrikThymosSlurgGalennerevarine1138PKMN12LtCrunchPsychobunnicurlyqloub14_ESODiviniusRatatouilleForestd16b14_ESOihartsnape 117 votes
No, they should lessen the 'Mature' content and strive for a lower Pegi/ESRB rating.
0%
NewBlacksmurfgolfer.dub17_ESONightrat1704eisberg 4 votes
Yes, ESO should include more 'Mature' content and make full use of its current ratings.
75%
TerminusHexosmanyrabidratsThe_DrexillMoiskormoimiLulufiaaisriyth_ESOmurtrem_ESOFat_Cat45GidorickNadijehWatchYourSixxMasterFUNG_ESOfarrier_ESOvailjohn_ESONaivefanboikevlarto_ESOliquid_wolfRook_Masterdrzycki_ESO 365 votes
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't you been upstairs at the establishment in Ebonheart?
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
    Options
  • Arundo
    Arundo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, ESO should include more 'Mature' content and make full use of its current ratings.
    More mature content please, thats what I liked about Age of Conan the blood and gore (yes boobies too) made it more immersive for me.
    Options
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are both good and bad games with "mature" content..

but if ESO could have even a little chance of doing something like The Witcher series, it would be frikkin awesome! I really loved those vulgar dwarves and their accents.. it left a lasting impression :D

Also, most MMORPGs that aim for the 12year olds as their target group simply fail. Those children can only insult one another's mothers instead of cooperating and their commitment to the game is nonexistent. They exist only to rage..
    Edited by ArRashid on March 20, 2015 4:10PM
    Options
  • SG_Celerrimus
    SG_Celerrimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArRashid wrote: »
    There are both good and bad games with "mature" content..

but if ESO could have even a little chance of doing something like The Witcher series, it would be frikkin awesome! I really loved those vulgar dwarves and their accents.. it left a lasting impression :D

Ahh, I remember that. That game was so much fun, I loved just standing on the corners listening to the side conversations.
    Options
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they already nerf pixil b...... with altering the red-guard armor, and sea-drake costume

so they are running in the other (read WRONG) direction
    Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm always confused by the way people use the word "mature".

There's plenty of adult-centric content in the game that includes sexual innuendo, drug use, etc. It certainly is as mature in its content as any Elder Scrolls title that's come before it.

So what, exactly do you want? Because if it's just juvenile blood splatter and naked ladies, then that's not mature content. That's excessive content.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't agree with the notion of Mature meaning more graphic violence.

I reported as a bug (half joking of course) that when asked, "Would you prefer I use my whip or my riding crop?" by Dark Seducers in Coldharbor I never got a chance to answer. And when told to put down my weapons because there were better things we could do I never got to find out what those more interesting things were. :p

Seriously, how does blood relate to maturity?
    Options
  • alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i said yes but there is a big problem it can't be done, simple reason is parents who will get the game for their kids
    Main character dk - Vanikifar whitestrike
    Options
  • Milktray
    Milktray
    ✭✭✭
    Kids watch Anime which features more violence than ESO and Hentai which features .. tentacles lololol
    ZoS please understand everyone thinks and pronounces things differently, so please add to your 'rules' that things get removed if the Mod doesn't actually quite understand phrasing
    Options
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't vote.

No option for: "ZOS should stand firm on their creative vision, content maturity ratings be damned."
    Options
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL to OP! I think they have mature content in game. Women married to woman and same for guys.
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
    Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They also could, to address the elephant in the room that I have seen other people dance around in previous threads, add nudity themes to the game, because lets not forget, this is an ES game, and if you go to the mod download places for the game (Skyrim/Oblivions Nexus for instance), you could probably find hundreds of mods for nudity and the like, but I would imagine that an addition such as this would be disable-able in the settings menu to add a "safe" version of the game, because you know social acceptance and the like.
    I can also find mods that replace dragons with Thomas the Train, give me a thu'um turning people into cheese and dress mudcrabs in top hats and monocles. What's your point?
    Options
  • SG_Celerrimus
    SG_Celerrimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm always confused by the way people use the word "mature".

There's plenty of adult-centric content in the game that includes sexual innuendo, drug use, etc. It certainly is as mature in its content as any Elder Scrolls title that's come before it.

So what, exactly do you want? Because if it's just juvenile blood splatter and naked ladies, then that's not mature content. That's excessive content.

@nerevarine1138 Long explanation below, but hopefully this helps you and others understand what I am going for.

Well, if you don't mind, lets look at a game like Metro: Last Light.

If you have never played, I would recommend looking at pictures of it so you can get a better idea of what I am talking about, the Steam page has some good ones.

In that game, everywhere you look more or less, you see one of two worlds, the completely destroyed upper world, with corpses, charred remains of civilization, and general 'dark and scary' things.Below, you see the poverty stricken remains of humanity, disease, crime, ragged poor people, and more dead bodies everywhere.

Now, if ESO could take a hint from this game as far as content goes (I know, ridicule me for referencing a different game series), then ESO would take on a 'Mature' theme, as in it wouldn't be all flowery sunshine, rainbows, and meadows with just a small corner of it being the dark and scary place where "Here there be monsters" essentially (I know I am exaggerating a bit, but the point I am making is hopefully getting across).

Here is another way of looking at it, and it pains me to say it, but compared to a game like Metro, or a game like Skyrim, ESO is very cartoony in comparison, with not a whole lot of realism in both graphics and around the world content that you see here and there.

Now, my main point of what, to me, 'Mature' content would be is similar to what Metro does with having clearly pointed out signs that disease is rampant, for instance, in several zones I can recall, there was some plague or something going around (I can remember easily the 2nd EP zone as I am in the middle of it on one of my characters), but everyone looks more or less normal, except the clearly made Zombie people. If more themes of "This town is plagued" could be added, trash around the place, dead/bloated bodies around, people with like pox marks and the like, then that would be more 'Mature' then say a town where everyone looks normal but its just said that they are all sickly and dying.

They could also do to have more graphic looking corpses, instead of just simple bone clean skeletons, maybe add some more fleshy bits to the corpses so they don't look like they have been there forever, and maybe do the same thing with Skeleton NPCs, add more fleshy bits them so they looks a little more deathy.

And, many towns and cities have poor beggars, but just looking at them they look like they are decently able to get by (clothes, look healthy, ect.). Maybe, make the poor NPCs look a bit more rough around the edges, non-healthy, and the like to add a bit more of a sense that "Yea, that guy is dirt poor" because no they look like "Yea, he might be poor, but he looks pretty healthy and well off for a poor guy".

*DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK* I believe around the, I want to say Reign of Terror, but it could have been the French Revolution (They were REALLY close together in time frame) beggars and poor people went all out to make the point that they were poor, whether by choice of forced to in some cases, and if you look it up there are some pretty horrifying drawings and paintings that depict to what extent poor people went to in real life at one point just to try and get a few extra penny from people passing by because they felt bad for them based on how they look.
    Options
  • EinionYrth
    EinionYrth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd just like it to look a bit earthier and dirtier. Even the beggars appear to be well fed and in excellent health, how about a few with disabilities or disfiguring diseases? Also no one in the game appears to be older than about 25, what's that all about?
    Options
  • SG_Celerrimus
    SG_Celerrimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigM wrote: »
    LOL to OP! I think they have mature content in game. Women married to woman and same for guys.

@BigM That isn't mature content, that is just standard life O.o
    Edited by SG_Celerrimus on March 20, 2015 4:39PM
    Options
  • fluffycannibalb16_ESO
    Erm....no. If you need blood and gore to get your "immersion" then you may want to consider seeking professional help. If you're looking for nudity then please seek a strip club.
    Fluff'ii - EP Sneaky-Cat-People
    Elendil Ellesar - EP Stabby-Stabby-Healer
    Khalisah al-Sinan - EP Fire-Breathing-Shieldy-Person
    Liara Motierre - EP Blinky-Storm-Mage
    Fetches-Fetches-Glitter - EP Lizard-Light-Smasher
    Zevran Demnevanni - EP Sneaky-Vampire-Mage
    Vindictal - EP Evil-necROMANCEr
    Shepard Andersson - EP Smashy-Dragon-Man
    Anduille - EP Cute-Bosmer-Bear-Lover
    Eamhair Eimhir - EP Necro-Poison-Wolf-Girl
    Orlog gro-Morkul - EP Smashy-Sorc-Orc
    Lucien la Malfaisance - EP Book-Beamer
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blood and Gore and Sex in games usually just comes out as gratuitous. It exists for it's own sake and not to advance the story or really improve the game world. I don't need a bunch of blood to know someone is getting injured or dead, I see the health meter going down or there is a corpse to loot. Not to mention what it could do to framerates and we have bad enough lag in this game as it is.

As for Sex, TES has always had this in the game and it's been handled just fine through exposition and design. I don't need to naked boobs in a game, not to mention cut scene or scripted sex scenes to know my character did the horizontal bop. A simple fade to black as my partner approaches me tells me all I need there.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pixel bewbies wouldn't make the game any better for me, I actually believe the half suggestive tease tells a better story while giving a sense of anticipation/excitement.

I guess the same goes for extra blood/gore, I personally don't need it to play my story. I wouldn't really care as long as it came with an off option.

If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

Options
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't you been upstairs at the establishment in Ebonheart?

It's actually one of my favorite places in game :D I think its perfect, just enough.. but not overly done.

If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

Options
  • Xandryah
    Xandryah
    ✭✭✭
    I suggested a very similar thing quite a few months ago and i also used the formulation "mature" in appostrophes, but i got only rather negative reactions and interpretaions by one or two , if you know what i mean...

the last game i played before swtor was Mass Effect, which had a really nice mature athmosphere. Sexuality was ok , not too pronounced, but still quite present.. The Afterlife-club was really cool...the whole game was quite sexy for itself..

swtor was a big change...all toons look very cartoony...... but i grew to liking the game after a while and it got sexier too...in terms of clothing/gear. after a while a liked the game and i forgot about Mass Effect...

the female toons are all sexy from the very start , but very limited to chose from or the combinations in general, and they all have big , oversized breasts, but still quite decent overall.., but .. there is no diversity in swtor.. all toons look like they were the sexy clone of each other... the male toons all have super-muscular torsos, great wavy hair! lol

Maybe because the game is played by teenagers too ( and it's done for teenagers too)...and not only by young adults or older adults.. the game has to be a bit moderate ...the most sexy thing in swtor is the female clubdance-emote imho...

ESO is also very, very decent and a lovely, artistically beautiful game from graphic point of view . It's done for a broad community.. ESO is even less sexy than swtor (gear/costumes), except the Dark Seducer Costume, which is awesome :)
    the clothings are rather very similar to each other, just armors and armors..i think that will change soon...i'm confident..

You have much more freedom to create the toon though and make a change there..

for me it's ok so far...

but, with rating 18, you have a right to ask for more... probably :) but i would not know how to handle this, because it's a mix of things that must harmonize ...although kids grow fast nowadays ...

Cheers all ;)

Xandryah

Options
  • BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted yes not because I want to watch argonians getting it on, but because I do not think it is beneficial to the game to hinder itself, or in any way tone down on scenarios, that would otherwise create a more authentic and immersive experience, because of a rating.
    Edited by BlackEar on March 20, 2015 5:08PM
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

Achievement hunter:

Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!
    Options
  • Taz
    Taz
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be fine with more grit and dirt and even blood, but for the love of the Eight, nothing remotely like popular Skyrim mods. Please no. The boob physics alone... /shudder

I can handle nudity but, I just want to point out that since TES as a whole leans towards being egalitarian, this means we get to see man-butts and bits bouncing and wiggling with Supreme Sausage-Bounce Physics just like the boobs. Think about if that's really what you want.

I'm personally fine with how TESO handles it now. More... subtle.
    Edited by Taz on March 20, 2015 5:15PM
    Options
  • DogFaceInBananaPatch
    DogFaceInBananaPatch
    ✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't care less one way or another [on the whole maturity thing] but I wish they'd rewrite/revoice a good handful of quests. Some are plain silly to cringe worthy and they should start with Wake the Dead in Stonefalls. Everything Mavos says is an eye-roller... actually the entire presentation involving Mavos or Onuja is silly.
    Options
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feel there should be blood and gore added. There is no blood and gore right now. I loved decapitations in Skyrim. Right now we can disintegrate another player - why not decapitate?
    Options
  • SG_Celerrimus
    SG_Celerrimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't care less one way or another [on the whole maturity thing] but I wish they'd rewrite/revoice a good handful of quests. Some are plain silly to cringe worthy and they should start with Wake the Dead in Stonefalls. Everything Mavos says is an eye-roller... actually the entire presentation involving Mavos or Onuja is silly.

Agreed
    Options
  • Jahosefat
    Jahosefat
    ✭✭✭✭
    More violence to satiate our bloodlust! (I mean a lot of the game centers around killing things right? I never got the whole killing "innocents" thing, how do they know that villager was "innocent".)
    Joeshock- AD NA AB Thorn Chill Sorc New Eden Low Sec Roamer

Fight not with monsters lest ye become one
    Options
  • golfer.dub17_ESO
    golfer.dub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, they should lessen the 'Mature' content and strive for a lower Pegi/ESRB rating.
    Picked the wrong option.

I don't really mind gore, but please no being edgy just for the sake of being edgy. It's kind of refreshing to see a game (or any form of media these days) that isn't ridiculously dark or sexualized.
    Edited by golfer.dub17_ESO on March 20, 2015 6:06PM
    Options
  • infraction2008b16_ESO
    infraction2008b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it should, not only more gore but story, setting and even down to the way npc's react/behave should be made more for a mature audience. I mean in skyrim for example when you awaken a draugr it was a chilling experience being in a dark dusty delve and something makes a noise and gets up, in this game the draugr don't give you that chill factor. Npc audio in general needs a big improvement. Everything you fight sounds like its going to tickle you to death rather than chop of your head and crap down your throat.

And then there's the gore such as decapitations. Would make for a nice skill line...
    Options
  • Sighlynce
    Sighlynce
    ✭✭✭
    Thats a YES !! Its seems ZOS has gone puritanical .. and I want my sexy female Orc cuirress back :p !
    "What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax
    Options
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, we don't need to start having topless female characters or nothing but the game is rated M might as well make it deserve that rating. Get some new death animations for physical attack deaths, decapitations, dismemberment,, disembowlments, arrow through the eye, arrow through the throat with blood spurting out of the arteries, etc.

We don't need a slow mo kill cam cause that could interfere with gameplay, but more visceral animations would make combat more satisfying.

Tribes of Bosmer who live in smaller villages should have cooked humanoid body parts on tables and in pots, don't just make joking references to Cannibalism, show us the Savages that Bosmer really are.

Coldharbor should be filled with visions of torture, show us why we really don't want to end up condemned to Coldharbor for eternity.

Finally and most importantly.. start referring to Molag Bal by his TRADITIONAL TES nickname: The King of ***.

God of Schemes/Brutality/Domination just doesn't quite have the same ring to it. It doesn't quite indicate that this is one of the most evil Daedra in the Lore, right up there with Mehrunes Dagon, Mephala, and Boethiah (which is funny that the Dunmer consider Boethiah and Mephala to be 2 of their 3 "good daedra" but both of them are pretty damn evil, about deceit and deception, betrayal and murder) the same way. Other Daedra are mischievous and screw with mortals (Sheogorath, Clavicus Vile, Sanguine), but the 4 I listed prior are straight up evil (Vaermina and Namira are also evil, but not quite as bad).

Plus God of Schemes sounds like it overlaps too much with Boethiah, the "Prince of Plots"

King of *** is much more Molag Bal, though God of Domination does play into that.
    Options
This discussion has been closed.