Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Ideal Race for a Dragonknight in 1.6

Knowledge
Knowledge
✭✭✭✭✭
Greetings,

I have scoured google and the forums for a real answer but most of them are conflicting, unfounded, or lack basis.

Some people state that Dunmer is the ideal choice while others claim it's the Imperial.

I am a returning player that never really got into the game so I am not up to speed on what a "Stamina" build means. I thought it meant dumping all of your attribute points into Stamina but perhaps I'm not following?

I plan to play my Dragonknight as a DPS. So, in light of that, which race would you choose: Dunmer or Imperial?
  • Surfinginhawaii
    Surfinginhawaii
    ✭✭✭
    Check out Deltiasgaming.com or Xmovingtarget on youtube for great videos on DK DPS builds and the races they chose.
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer for DPS, Imperial for anything else. Including PvP.
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panda244 wrote: »

Can you state why?
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowledge wrote: »
    Panda244 wrote: »

Can you state why?

Dunmers get a passive that increases fire damage, DK's are basically walking fire-bombs, so Dunmer is the obvious choice for increasing your DPS even if it is by a marginal amount.

Imperial for everything else because you can't go wrong with +12% max health and +10% max stamina in PvP, or as a tank, or as a DPS. Between the two the difference really isn't THAT much. But it's all about min/maxing, at least for the Trials n shiz, personally I made my DK an Imperial because the racials would let me survive better in PvP, and I could give him a Roman name without making no sense :wink:
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • shadowmod
    shadowmod
    can u play dk as a ranged caster
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, DKs as ranged caster is the best dps in the game, if u know your class :)
  • Harasdar
    Harasdar
    ✭✭
    And if you plan to play as vampire Dunmer have fire resistance to counter the extra fire damage.
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Artemiisia wrote: »

Except not really since DK = Melee caster. Melee range is where DK shines at it´s best ;)
  • Harasdar
    Harasdar
    ✭✭

What spells would you use??? Just found not so many ranged ones ;-)

I personly think templars or sorcs are better here.
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except not really since DK = Melee caster. Melee range is where DK shines at it´s best ;)

Yep, coming from a NB caster to a DK firemage, i often forget to stand in melee range to apply the dots.

• Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Khajiit.

Khajiit are obviously the superior race choice for all classes, roles, groups and social functions. Though I understand if you don't feel you're ready for the pure awesomeness and stunning good looks that comes with being a Khajiit. :sunglasses:
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Morshire
    Morshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ummm, have to help me out here. What is that other name for cats....starts with a "P"? Oh yeah..... >:) I see you got it. So if Khajiit are really just BIG cats, wouldn't that actually make them BIG... :p Yep, saw you got that too. ;) On the plus side, it shows you're thinking and I like that.
    Edited by Morshire on March 20, 2015 9:44PM
    Follow me if I advance, Kill me if I retreat, Avenge me if I die.

When this immediate evil power has been defeated, we shall not yet have won the long battle with the elemental barbarities. Another evil, it may be an invisible adversary, will attempt, again, and yet again, to destroy our frail civilization. Is it true, I wonder, that the only way to escape a war is to be in it?

If I die, you are forgiven, If I live, I will kill you.
  • Vandril
    Vandril
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a question related to the thread...

Dunmer passive says is increases fire SPELL damage by X%. Does this also happen to apply to abilities that scale off of Weapon Damage, such as the DK class abilities that now use Stamina/WD?

If it does not, that would make Dunmer less effective than Imperial for a straight-up Stamina DK.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was perplexed with the imperial vs Dumner conversation so I have an Imperial DK and a Dumner DK that I am leveling. I think the Dumner is tougher as I have learned there is a lot of fire in this game. The extra fire damage is minor... good but minor. More interesting the fire resist comes in handy when fighting other dumner DK's I know crazy. You know what is way more common than fire in this game... dumner DK's. /facepalm

DPS Dumner
    Tank Imperial

My thoughts!
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vandril wrote: »

Dunmer passive says is increases fire SPELL damage by X%. Does this also happen to apply to abilities that scale off of Weapon Damage, such as the DK class abilities that now use Stamina/WD?

If it does not, that would make Dunmer less effective than Imperial for a straight-up Stamina DK.

It's only for fire based spell dmg. Doesn't work on weapon dmg/stamina fire skills, like Unstable Flame or Burning Breath.

That's why Imperial is a top choice for tank or stamina dps DK(Redguard also nice for raw stam dps). While Dunmer is the best option for magicka dps DK.
  • Vandril
    Vandril
    ✭✭✭✭
    eliisra wrote: »
    Vandril wrote: »

It's only for fire based spell dmg. Doesn't work on weapon dmg/stamina fire skills, like Unstable Flame or Burning Breath.

That's why Imperial is a top choice for tank or stamina dps DK(Redguard also nice for raw stam dps). While Dunmer is the best option for magicka dps DK.

Thanks for the answer. I've been getting conflicting views on the matter with many people assuming it works for ALL fire damage.