The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Suggestions to improve the Templar healer.

Fizzlewizzle
Fizzlewizzle
✭✭✭✭
A few suggestions regarding the Templar and their skill trees.

First, for the Aedric Spear skill tree:
Sun shield > Radiant Ward morph.
This abillity currently gives the user a shield which equals 30% of the users maximum HP, with an extra 5% for each target hit with the added AOE.

My suggestion for this skill comes with 3 stages:
- Change the Maximum HP for Maximum Magicka.
- Grants the buff Mayor Maim.
- Grants the buff Mayor Mending.
Possible extra feature: Increased Time.
Both buffs should last for the duration of the shield. When the shield breaks or expires the buffs will end.

The skill would allow more supportive builds with some security, yet won't give Glass cannons an unfair advantage.
The idea for the Mayor mending buff came from the Igneous Shield skill (DK), Its a decent healing buff, yet you don't see it anywhere in the Templar's skill trees.

I will skip the Dawn's Wrath skill tree, as there isn't much wrong with it as of now (they should have fixed the Radiant Destruction bug).
For the Restoring Light tree i have a couple of suggestions.

The First skill i would like to make an suggestion for is Healing Ritual.
The casting time (atm) is 2 seconds. My suggestion for this is that it will be decreased to 1.5 seconds.
For the Ritual of Rebirth Morph the casting time could be further decreased, which could make it end up at 1 second on rank 4.
For the Lingering Ritual i would suggest the same effect as you get from the Restoration staff skill Regeneration, for about 8 seconds after using the skill.

The decrease in Casting time would be welcome, as a lot of people seem to ignore this skill simply because of the long casting time.
The "Regeneration" effect on Lingering Ritual would make it more useful. In the current state you will override the "Lingering" effect when you cast it again within the 8 seconds, causing the effect not to proc at all.

For the skill Cleansing Ritual (and morphs) i would like to suggest it removing 1 harmful effect with the original cast. Everything else about this skill could stay the same.

For the last skill, Restoring Focus (a Rune Focus morphs), i would like to suggest a change from Minor Vitality to Mayor Vitality.
Having the Option to place the Focus somewhere (within a 15-28M Radius) could also be beneficial as a support skill, which would allow you to place it below a tank or teammate without having to step into the dangerzone.

I sincerely hope that Zenimax will look at these suggestions, and that they may consider them for the game.
Healer... out.
Edited by Fizzlewizzle on March 10, 2015 1:03AM
Mending-The-Wounded, Aldmeri Dominion, Templar.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is that a troll attempt...

Templar is still the best healer and those buffs would be rediculously overpowered.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »

Templar is still the best healer and those buffs would be rediculously overpowered.
    ^

• Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In general, when proposing changes to something it's best to identify where you think the existing functionality is lacking ... in the absence of that the ensuing suggestions are worthless, IMO of course.

• Fizzlewizzle
    Fizzlewizzle
    ✭✭✭✭

Templar is still the best healer and those buffs would be ridiculously overpowered.
    To be honest, this is a serious topic.
    Currently the Templars have a skill tree which only provides a decent burst healing, but is further useless.
    The main tool for healing (Templar or otherwise) is the Restoration staff. Even if the Restoration staff is a decent tool when it comes to healing. Having a skill tree (what should remove the need for the restoration staff) yet still being forced to use one because you can't compete with the other healers without it makes the Restoring light tree pretty useless.
    ( @Kragorn , maybe this answered your question also.)

The only two skills that got a buff/ buff change are Radiant Ward and Restoring Focus.
    Radiant Ward got Mayor Maim and Mayor Mending, The first one reduces the users attack by 30%, while the second increases the healing done by 30%. Restoring focus would get increased healing from 8% to 30% while the target was within the area.
    (The last buff could be optional, since i haven't seen that buff ingame yet.)

For healing Ritual, i doubt you dare say that a healing skill with close to 2 seconds of casting time is a useful one.
    Cleaning Ritual only cleanses yourself unless someone uses the Synergy. The only "Real" Cleaning tool in the game is the one in the Alliance war tree, which i think should also belong in a healers tree.

As for being able to place the Restoring Rune somewhere (something like the Volcanic Rune), Standing back and healing should be the main priority. Having to walk into the fight just to place a rune so you can heal someone a bit more is dangerous. If it was remotely placeable it could stay at 8%, since the user of it would be saver... but currently the healer has to take a risk just to support one of his teammates more.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kragorn wrote: »
    In general, when proposing changes to something it's best to identify where you think the existing functionality is lacking ... in the absence of that the ensuing suggestions are worthless, IMO of course.

All players with a templar healer knows why these skills lacks functionality for that role, guessing that's why OP skipped it. But fair enough, ZoS class designers might not be aware.

Sun Shield is a tank skill. It scales of max health, while a healer is built for max magicka. It also does dmg to surrounding enemies, once you morph it. When healing in PvE you dont want a skill that keeps poking or exploding on multiple targets. It makes it much harder to avoid and loose aggro. Especially now when light armor is paper and a few trash mobs can kill you in a matter of seconds.

Many instances with spawning trash or adds, hitting hard, usually going for the healer first. In those situations you need a panic button, a basic shield, but preferably not one that's generating even more aggro :tired_face:

Healing Ritual was always the worse skill in the game. You cant wait 1.7-2 seconds to heal someone. Damage in this game is to bursty, rapid and inconsistent. By using Healing Ritual, you will see dead people. Silly mistake new templar healers tend to do once or twice, using their second class heal and wiping the entire group.

Topic: I'm not sure it's balanced giving templar a class shield scaling of magicka. Right now you have to make a choice, do you want survivability from strong smart heals or stacking health for a more powerful shield. You never get both and maybe that's how it's supposed to be? Only sorcerers have a magicka scaling shield and that's because they lack healing from class skills. But for sure, 90% of the PvP population would love it if less templars used Blazing Shield.

Suggested changes to Healing Ritual would make it better. But with a massive change like that you would also have to decrease the strength or healing from the skill by loads. The skills would still be situational, due to small radius and casting time ofc. Even 1 sec casting can be to late when healing.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The changes I would do mostly have nothing to do with healing templars other than making healing ritual more useful somehow rather than a cast.

1. Radiant Ward: The OTHER morph of sun shield that doesn't do damage on pop. Make it to where it increases strenght for enemies nearby by 10% and remove the damage aspect from it completely. Then you give people the option of a more durable shield vs one that does damage and pops all the time.

2. Remove the KB from Jabs and make it a root.

3. Remove the stun/mez from the spear shards morphs and make it AOE snare

I actually think this is more for tanking templars. Better damage mitigation shield and some AOE CC
  • Fizzlewizzle
    Fizzlewizzle
    ✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    The changes I would do mostly have nothing to do with healing templars other than making healing ritual more useful somehow rather than a cast.

1. Radiant Ward: The OTHER morph of sun shield that doesn't do damage on pop. Make it to where it increases strenght for enemies nearby by 10% and remove the damage aspect from it completely. Then you give people the option of a more durable shield vs one that does damage and pops all the time.

2. Remove the KB from Jabs and make it a root.

3. Remove the stun/mez from the spear shards morphs and make it AOE snare

I actually think this is more for tanking templars. Better damage mitigation shield and some AOE CC
    That does indeed sound more for the Tanking Templar rather than the healing one.

The first one only provides an already solid build (Tank) with an even greater defense.
    It wouldn't hinder his offence and only boost his already high defense. The idea i had to give the squishy build (magicka build) a shield, but at the same time cut away a part of their offence so you wouldn't get more sturdy glass cannons.

For a Tank dealing a small bit of damage doesn't hurt, as any added agro you draw takes pressure of the team. But, as @eliisra said, for a healer that little bit of added agro can be deadly. Your suggestion (not doing any damage) would be beneficial for the situation eliisra described, but the 10% per target would be to much. 4% (like Blazing) would be more than sufficient, as the goal for the shield isn't tanking, but a bit of added security.

The knockback on jab is just a pain in the ass, but not really something a healer should be worried about.
    Same could be said for Spear Shards, although decent for support... not something a healer should have to worry about to much (any form of damage could draw unwanted attention).
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Templar is still the best healer and those buffs would be ridiculously overpowered.
    To be honest, this is a serious topic.
    Currently the Templars have a skill tree which only provides a decent burst healing, but is further useless.
    The main tool for healing (Templar or otherwise) is the Restoration staff. Even if the Restoration staff is a decent tool when it comes to healing. Having a skill tree (what should remove the need for the restoration staff) yet still being forced to use one because you can't compete with the other healers without it makes the Restoring light tree pretty useless.
    ( @Kragorn , maybe this answered your question also.)

If you want to mainly be a healer, you are supposed to use a restoration staff. Other classes can be more of a damage dealer using a restoration staff, you can be more of a healer using another weapon. But if you want a pure healer, a templar with restoration staff is still the best option and should be.
    You don't really want all templar healers running around with a shield for the extra tankiness in PvE, do you?
    The only two skills that got a buff/ buff change are Radiant Ward and Restoring Focus.
    Radiant Ward got Mayor Maim and Mayor Mending, The first one reduces the users attack by 30%, while the second increases the healing done by 30%. Restoring focus would get increased healing from 8% to 30% while the target was within the area.
    (The last buff could be optional, since i haven't seen that buff ingame yet.)

I am not sure wether you understand how powerful Radiant Ward would be. There is really no need to give that skill 2 major buffs. Give it minor maim maybe to make Blazing Shield not such an obvious choice.
    Why you would want to buff Restoring Focus I have no idea.
    For healing Ritual, i doubt you dare say that a healing skill with close to 2 seconds of casting time is a useful one.
    Cleaning Ritual only cleanses yourself unless someone uses the Synergy. The only "Real" Cleaning tool in the game is the one in the Alliance war tree, which i think should also belong in a healers tree.

For healing ritual there already is a thread.
    Cleansing ritual is fine as it is, the CD on the synergy is not a problem in PvE. In PvP I don't see a problem with Purge being superior as a support skill.
    As for being able to place the Restoring Rune somewhere (something like the Volcanic Rune), Standing back and healing should be the main priority. Having to walk into the fight just to place a rune so you can heal someone a bit more is dangerous. If it was remotely placeable it could stay at 8%, since the user of it would be saver... but currently the healer has to take a risk just to support one of his teammates more.

I wouldn't have a problem with it being ground target AoE, but I don't see a problem with a healer having to take up a risk either... :confused: .
    Edited by ToRelax on March 10, 2015 2:45PM
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Fizzlewizzle
    Fizzlewizzle
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want to mainly be a healer, you are supposed to use a restoration staff. Other classes can be more of a damage dealer using a restoration staff, you can be more of a healer using another weapon. But if you want a pure healer, a templar with restoration staff is still the best option and should be.
    You don't really want all templar healers running around with a shield for the extra tankiness in PvE, do you?
    Main healers would indeed have more use from a Restoration staff, just because of the Magicka Regeneration bonus. For healing it doesn't make a real difference because they changed the Restoration Master passive skill from "healing" in general to "Healing with restoration staff skills". Using a shield for the extra defense wouldn't really gimp you when it comes to healing powers, only when it comes to magicka regeneration.
    I am not sure wether you understand how powerful Radiant Ward would be. There is really no need to give that skill 2 major buffs. Give it minor maim maybe to make Blazing Shield not such an obvious choice.
    Why you would want to buff Restoring Focus I have no idea.
    Not really. For an healer it makes no difference if its Mayor or Minor Maim, as healing doesn't count as damage. The only reason i choose Mayor over Minor was to counter Glass Cannon builds. Personally i don't care which of the two it would be, as i find the Mayor Mending buff more important.
    For healing ritual there already is a thread.
    Cleansing ritual is fine as it is, the CD on the synergy is not a problem in PvE. In PvP I don't see a problem with Purge being superior as a support skill.
    I know about the Healing Ritual thread, just wanted to include it in this one.
    For the cleansing Ritual skill you do have a point. It was just a small suggestion, so no major loss of ir didn't happen.
    I wouldn't have a problem with it being ground target AoE, but I don't see a problem with a healer having to take up a risk either... :confused: .
    Neither do i, but with light armor and little defence most would prefer to stay away from possible harm.
    You don't see DPS casters standing in close proximity of the enemy either (the non-impulse type casters).
    Edited by Fizzlewizzle on March 10, 2015 4:08PM