The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Installing on two computers

LMar
LMar
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello there,

I have ESO installed on my laptop but my old desktop is up and running again and I am wondering if it is possible to have an installation of the game on that one as well.

So same account but two different installations/computers. Will that cause any problems? Obviously I won't be trying to log in from both computers at the same time but rather sometimes I will be preferring my desktop and other times my laptop.

In order to do this I would log on my account on the browser and select download game?

Thanks in advance
"If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
"Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No problem at all, I do this on 3 PCs.

You can simply copy your entire ESO tree from your laptop to the PC then set up a shortcut to the launcher. You may also possibly want to copy across the ESO folder in you 'Documents' tree, I didn't when I did this though.

There is no need to do anything on the PC are far as accessing your game account is concerned.

You will almost certainly get the "you're logging in from an unauthorised PC" when you do, you'll need to get the e-mail ZOS will send you with the code you need to enter into the new installation to be able to play on it, that should be a one-time event.

Note. When it comes at applying patches, just update one and then do the copy again, unless the patch is trivially small and few if any patches ZOS have made are 'small', and Update 6 next week is around 12Gb I think I've read.
    Edited by Kragorn on February 26, 2015 11:18AM
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do I need to copy over files? My other computer is also connected to the Internet so can I just download the game normally and then log in ? I assume my character files will be downloaded from ZOS server?
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was suggesting you copy your current installation rather than downloading the game a second time from the internet. A LAN copy will go a damned sight quicker than even the quickest broadband you're likely to have access to, the download is over 35Gb.

Yes, character data is server-side and isn't stored on the client.
    Edited by Kragorn on February 26, 2015 1:19PM
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LMar wrote: »
    Why do I need to copy over files? My other computer is also connected to the Internet so can I just download the game normally and then log in ? I assume my character files will be downloaded from ZOS server?

No you do not need to copy. It's just if you want to do it fast and not wait for 60gb+updates to download. Ultimately downloading is the easiest and best way to make sure the installation goes correctly.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syntse wrote: »

No you do not need to copy. It's just if you want to do it fast and not wait for 60gb+updates to download. Ultimately downloading is the easiest and best way to make sure the installation goes correctly.
    Actually ESO has little installation, there are no registry settings, DLL registrations or anything else .. in fact ZOS suggest this method of propagating the game from PC to PC, there have been several threads over time where they've done that.
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh I see, thank you ever so much! I am not worried about speed so I will download and install from the website after the new patch ( I assume the new download will include the new game files). I will just play on the laptop until everything installs :P

cheerio!
    Edited by LMar on February 26, 2015 2:46PM
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kragorn wrote: »
    Syntse wrote: »

Actually ESO has little installation, there are no registry settings, DLL registrations or anything else .. in fact ZOS suggest this method of propagating the game from PC to PC, there have been several threads over time where they've done that.

True it doesn't however there is possibility for things go wrong and one still ends up downloading the whole thing and might even use half of the download time trying to recopy and fix the copy before giving up and just downloading. Sometimes it goes without issues, sometimes it doesn't. That's why I said to go with the safe side download is the best option.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]